Prescription meds

hunt182644

To start I have already read TSA  regulations about this. Will be flying into Hearthrow from U S. For those who have done this previously what have you encountered when leaving the U S or going thru customs in Heathrow. Have you traveled with just a doctors list of your meds,or taken the containers, or meds in a weekly pill planner. Any promlems encountered with over the counter not in original bottles. Yes it is hell getting older and having to rely on pills, but us seniors just keep, keeping on.😁

10 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

To start I have already read TSA  regulations about this. Will be flying into Hearthrow from U S. For those who have done this previously what have you encountered when leaving the U S or going thru customs in Heathrow. Have you traveled with just a doctors list of your meds,or taken the containers, or meds in a weekly pill planner. Any promlems encountered with over the counter not in original bottles. Yes it is hell getting older and having to rely on pills, but us seniors just keep, keeping on.😁

We have never encountered problems with RX pills when traveling overseas or asked about it.  
However, we do travel with the RX pills in their own bottles, because, if for some reason, you needed medical attention, they want to see the actual rx bottle.  Some countries are more strict about it.  

We also take a screenshot of the RX labels, in case of lost rx’s or to show a Dr or Medical.  Never had to use this, but for peace of mind.

We do lump together our vitamins in condensed bottles. 

• Like 3

We have never been challenged about our prescription meds.  I carry a monthly pill planner with all my medications, however, I do take pics of each individual pill bottle on my cellphone in case someone wants to see it. I even store a copy of the pics on google drive, just in case.

• Like 1

I do what #2 does. I have never had any issues or questions. I also request paper scripts from my Dr. to carry along. I place vitamins and other non Rx meds into small baggies. For those with bulky packaging or large bottles I remove the packaging and place a cut out flat clipping of the label and directions into the baggie.

I always repackage my pills is travel size containers since the original bottles are to big to travel with. I also don't bother with prescriptions as some people do. If they every do start checking people's luggage, half the ship would probably be denied boarding and the boarding line would probably take 4 or 5 hours to check.  😄

• Like 2

" If they every do start checking people's luggage, half the ship would probably be denied boarding and the boarding line would probably take 4 or 5 hours to check."

The possible issue is with Customs when disembarking the airplane in another country, England in the OP's case. It isn't about boarding the ship.

I have never had an issue with my common Rx meds when arriving in another country by air. But some countries do have specific rules regarding Rx and OTC meds that travelers need to be aware of. 

• Like 2

I take all of my pills for whatever trip I'm on and put them in one pill bottle (OTC and RX drugs).  If anyone needs to see my prescriptions, I can sign on to my doctors office and pull up my EMR.  If I'm on a  trip longer than 10 days, I'll bring a weelky pill organizer and refill it each week.

@hunt182644 i didn't see anyone when arriving at Heathrow last September.  Walked up to egates, scanned passport & my face, walked right in. Seriously through in a matter of minutes and off to National Express bus system. That was the entire customs / immigration process. (I do not carry med in its container. Just a pill a day × 3 weeks)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, skynight said:

" If they every do start checking people's luggage, half the ship would probably be denied boarding and the boarding line would probably take 4 or 5 hours to check."

The possible issue is with Customs when disembarking the airplane in another country, England in the OP's case. It isn't about boarding the ship.

I have never had an issue with my common Rx meds when arriving in another country by air. But some countries do have specific rules regarding Rx and OTC meds that travelers need to be aware of. 

Do they actually check the bottles for names and dates? 

Medicines in/out of UK

here is the official info on this from UK gov.

honestly chances are they won’t check. HOWEVER you never know when they might be having more intensive searches when they occasionally bring in extra staff for this purpose. Or you get lumbered with a random search. So I personally wouldn’t risk it.

Be more careful with ‘controlled medication’ as stated.

hope that’s helpful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And after the last Pandemic holds (Grand/Diamond/Coral/etc), Princess added on their website to bring an extra week of medications.  

As mentioned above, countries have their own specific rules.  I didn't have any trouble going into Japan and they are very strict.

We've always just traveled all over the world with meds in daily type pill container and usually nothing else.    For last winters trip to Australia and New Zealand we were much more careful, reading all the rules about meds.  Did a lot more grouindwork, ie, list of meds, labels, letter from doctor, etc. etc.

We flew through everything in Sydney and no one ever looked at or asked for all our paperwork.  I guess? it was worth it for peace of mind, knowing we'd done everything we could to be compliant.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

Sadly, I have a fair amount of meds. I package them in weekly planners as the bottles are too bulky to be easily transported in my shoulder bag that contains meds, watch, etc. that I don't let out of my hands. One med I always carry in the bottle as it's a restricted item. I'll take pics of my prescription labels and they are also all listed in the Walgreen's app. I've never had TSA or any other entity query me regarding the medications but, if they decide to do so, I want to have documentation. Vitamins, etc.  will be a jumble in a zip lock bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

My spouse and I take narcotics and other very abusable drugs so we always bring the bottles. I got pulled into secondary screening once when a four-footed federal agent showed too much interest in my carry-on, but the bottles made quick work of the review.

Good luck,

Tek

This.

My non narcotic meds I place in a daily dispenser.  My narcotics I keep in the original pharmacy dispensed bottle.

I tried to find out what the rules were in the countries we are going to.  Not easy at all!!! I sent emails to the embassies.  Never heard back from Italy.  Greece didn't answer all my questions.  Spain didn't respond.  I sent to Spain again and they responded to what was needed and said if I had any other questions just ask.  So I did and they never responded.   I figured if something happened and I or dh had to stay in the hospital for any length of time we needed to be compliant.  Some drugs are addictive and you just can't stop taking them. What can you do if they don't respond?  I have a letter from the doctor and original pill bottles (only two drugs).  I'll be taking my chances.

7 hours ago, hunt182644 said:

I have small containers for OTC stuff that I just refill from larger bottles to travel.  I've never traveled with prescription meds NOT in the provided container from the pharmacy.  During the trip (we tend toward 2-4 week trips) I transfer my meds to a daily container like I do at home, once settled onboard the ship (or in hotel).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hunt182644 said:

We each take our labeled prescription bottles, and I take the little boxes for my convenience. We have never had a problem anywhere we have traveled.

• Like 1

I take the prescription bottles.  Mrs Ldubs takes her's in a pill caddy with no labels.  Traveling through LHR many times have never had any issue.  

Been to 53 countries, though not all entries via air.  Been asked one time about meds.  It went kind of like this:  "Are these medications?" . "Yes".    

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

I put them in a pill organizer. I have all my prescription information in mychart that I can show them if questioned. I have never once been questioned about any medication. And unless you have something to "declare" at customs they generally won't have you stop and do a screening anyway. I would carry controlled substances in their original container however. 

• Like 1

I ask my pharmacist for extra labels to put on small plastic bags of meds. then i have the smallest possible containers of properly labeled meds. To remain complient with international travel requirements, having original labels on containers may be technically required. But in 30 years of travelling, I've never had it checked.