Does Royal need to change their CEO?

As someone who has cruised with Royal since I was a child and had fully intended to give them my business for decades to come (being of the 'younger' generation they would do well to target), I'm beginning to get quite unnerved by the direction that the company is taking, and it's only been happening in the last few years, ever since Jason Liberty replaced Richard Fain as CEO. The Sorrento's nonsense from this week is particularly concerning, as the late night snack options need to get better, not worse. And there are just endless complaints about food and endless cutbacks.

Some of that can be attributed to COVID but ships have been back for 2 years now and that excuse is gradually wearing off for me. It appears that Mr. Liberty wants more cutbacks and maximum revenue at the expense of a cruiser's experience, so I can't help but wonder if Royal needs to change their CEO ASAP to avoid further alienating their regular customers. Otherwise I'm concerned as to what Royal will look like this time in a decade.

Edited by GlasgowCruiser01
  • Like 8

I thought the huge to do over a pizza survey question was blown up way too much. Nothing to replace it at night. Give us another food maybe. 

If you are still particularly concerned about pizza gate .. try another line for a while. No one is forcing you to cruise on this line. 

Rcl had great earnings, ccl and nclh both had terrible earnings. I kinda hope they get on a level where the debt isnt such a big deal. Sold my shares so looking to buy them back. Watching rcl trade day in day out. Its fighting being pulled down with other sell offs. My last cruise was the 10 day radiance and personally I liked the new menus and hot food served. 

I have often said i think rcl pax are the most complaining group I ever saw. .. if it doesnt suit you, change lines. I do think they are overdoing the nickle and diming. I'm hoping they come out the other end and can start adding some back. .. or maybe they decided this way of charging ala carte with everything extra is a winner. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

As someone who has cruised with Royal since I was a child and had fully intended to give them my business for decades to come (being of the 'younger' generation they would do well to target), I'm beginning to get quite unnerved by the direction that the company is taking, and it's only been happening in the last few years, ever since Jason Liberty replaced Richard Fain as CEO. The Sorrento's nonsense from this week is particularly concerning, as the late night snack options need to get better, not worse. And there are just endless complaints about food and endless cutbacks.

Some of that can be attributed to COVID but ships have been back for 2 years now and that excuse is gradually wearing off for me. It appears that Mr. Liberty wants more cutbacks and maximum revenue at the expense of a cruiser's experience, so I can't help but wonder if Royal needs to change their CEO ASAP to avoid further alienating their regular customers. Otherwise I'm concerned as to what Royal will look like this time in a decade.

Is everything smooth sailing at your grocery stores now - fully stocked, at good prices?

As usual i think the complainers are more vocal than those that may be just be temporarily going with the flow. When the decline is too much for too long, bookings will dry up and new marketing tactics will be instigated and possibly upper management replaced. 

As the airlines always say, “we know you have a choice, thank you for flying with us today”.

Same holds true for cruising. Maybe time to branch out, test the waters and see if the grass is greener elsewhere.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

I thought Michael Bayley was CEO for Royal…..

• Like 1

I don't have solid information /opinions on the CEO, but I do think this board has been more whiny and more critical than usual lately -- and many people are unhappy with very real cuts to service and quality, while prices are increasing.  Trouble rolls uphill (paraphrased, but true).  

• Like 4

Cruise Critic and other social media sites are such a small percentage of the actual cruising public, yet most cruise line ships continue to sail full. Apparently the complaints aren’t great enough on the surveys, or people would rather complain on a message board than actually fill out a survey with their complaints. I would think if bookings started dropping off, the cruise lines might pay attention.

• Like 6

Try Virgin Voyages. I'm a D+ in my mid 30s and really can't see myself going back to Royal, it's a shame as I thought I was a 'lifer'. But since the cutbacks/charges and constant adding of cabins leading to overcrowding I'd be embarrassed to recommend RC to friends - which is all I was doing a few years back! 

Virgin, however, is next level, at reasonable prices when you consider what's included and the quality. Appreciate they are new so probably trying to impress but it's quite amazing. 

Trying Celebrity for the first time in Oct too so will see what that's like! 

• Like 10

From what I can see the cruise critic message board goes back to 2004. Randomly clicking on pages one can usually come across the same themes....cutbacks, changes, price increases, decrease service....

While I'm sure there are some members here that have been with Royal since 'the beginning' I'd venture most started in the last 20 years....say starting around 2000. So when one person started and thought everything was great and would be a 'lifer' others were complaining about the changes and leaving royal. 

I've also, from time to time, gone to other boards just to see and guess what...same complaints...Princess had a doozy going on about a new charge.

If businesses are to survive they need to adapt. Either raise prices or decrease service as time moves on. No business is immune to that.

Wife and I were Disneyworld 'lifers'. DVC owners and Annual pass holders that would go at least twice a year (coming from Western Canada). Did that for over 10 years and with our kids. It became mundane and a little tedious and prices kept going up. We had done almost everything there. After so many trips it grew stale, we saw behind the curtain and just didn't feel the value any more.  We changed our habits. No hard feelings towards Disney but I really don't know if we'd ever go back. Yet friends and co workers go and love it. We would never deter them and steer them away. Tell them what we like and didn't like .We are very lucky to have the options we do.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GlasgowCruiser01 said:

so I can't help but wonder if Royal needs to change their CEO ASAP

Why? He is doing exactly what the Board of Directors of the corporation tasked him to do - return the company to profitability.

• Like 8

I just made a fake booking on the Celebrity site checking today's price for a 7 day Bermuda cruise in a veranda stateroom and came up with around $3,500.00 .

Then looked back at our Bermuda cruise 23 years ago to compare and it was $2,700.00 .

We didn't start doing the Royal Caribbean thing till a few years later but it interesting to see HOW OR IF cruising went up on price, on X which probably would hold true for Royal.

The total experience has definitely gone down but the above is interesting to look at if you calculate how prices in general have gone up in those 2 decades.

Inflation calculates out to about $4,500.00 in today's dollars for what is the current actual price of $3,500.00 .

A new Honda Civic was about $15,000.00 in 2000 and is now in the $26,000.00 range.

We still find cruising the best bang for your buck especially if you book wisely, even with the oft times seriously dumb upper echelon decisions that have reduced the quality in favor of keeping the prices down.

How many would consider paying the inflated price to bring back the higher quality cruise experience that was de rigueur 20 years ago ??????

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

What concerns me is the rise of cruise fares this year . I know the cruise line will test the market to see what the consumer is willing to pay to maximize profit , and it seems that their strategy is working in their favor . 

I am cross checking prices and RC is considerably higher than their competition. I am considering a Celebrity cruise on Edge class  ( i know its the same parent company ) and its much less .

Sometimes you dont check other suppliers as you get out of your comfort zone , and never know what you might be missing.

RC may not get my money , but there are lots of people lining up to give them theirs.

I will miss the promenade on Oasis class ( my preferred choice ) but i think ill get over it. 🙂

5 minutes ago, loman said:

What concerns me is the rise of cruise fares this year . I know the cruise line will test the market to see what the consumer is willing to pay to maximize profit , and it seems that their strategy is working in their favor . 

I am cross checking prices and RC is considerably higher than their competition. I am considering a Celebrity cruise on Edge class  ( i know its the same parent company ) and its much less .

Sometimes you dont check other suppliers as you get out of your comfort zone , and never know what you might be missing.

RC may not get my money , but there are lots of people lining up to give them theirs.

I will miss the promenade on Oasis class ( my preferred choice ) but i think ill get over it. 🙂

Curious what loyalty level you are as that makes a huge difference in cruise prices. Rcl is consistently less than other lines. I do group, $250 off balcony, then DP340 solo gets me 25% overall. No other line gives me a solo discount. Yes prices are going up fast, but a lot of us with loyalty discounts still find royal is less expensive than other lines. 

I haven't found Royal to be less than the competition, but pretty much on a par. That said, I don't mind the cruise prices, but the cutbacks in the MDR . I don't think Jason Liberty, or any other CFO is automatically qualified to be a CEO. Their mindset is too much of a bean counter without thinking about the passenger desires. Yes, I think there has to be a change at the top.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Curious what loyalty level you are as that makes a huge difference in cruise prices. Rcl is consistently less than other lines. I do group, $250 off balcony, then DP340 solo gets me 25% overall. No other line gives me a solo discount. Yes prices are going up fast, but a lot of us with loyalty discounts still find royal is less expensive than other lines. 

Diamond , The cruise i was looking at in September 2024 was around 1400.00 less . 

Balcony cabin vs the cabin with the window that drops to mimic a real balcony on celebrity .

I know ill give up 4 drinks and free specialty coffee but still ... 

I insert my C & A # and whatever else for discounts when i mock book.

Ill try a TA for my next cruise to see if group rates are available

12 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley made a statement yesterday. There will be no charge for Pizza at Sorrento's. it was just a question on a survey. 

Silly question as it was, it should have been shot down before it hit a piece of paper. I mean really, that isn't gourmet Pizza they are serving.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Booking are at an all time high. Deposit money is at an all time high. Yet some think RC should fire the CEO because of a survey question about pizza.

Said better than what I said. 

Just got a alert from motley fool rcl raised 3rd qtr guidance again. 

Personally as a solo ala carte is better for me. The rates that are more inclusive I feel like I'm subsidising a invisible 2nd pax. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Michael Bayley made a statement yesterday. There will be no charge for Pizza at Sorrento's. it was just a question on a survey. 

Actually he said they are not charging for pizza. He didn't say there will be. Leaves charging for pizza possible in the future.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

Actually he said they are not charging for pizza. He didn't say there will be. Leaves charging for pizza possible in the future.

What did you want him to say that would make you feel better? "Never ever for as long as RC is in business will we ever charge for pizza?"