The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 28th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Race Your Mouse Around the Icons Day, Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day, and Red Wine Day

You don't have a soul, Doctor. You are a soul. You have a body, temporarily.--Walter M. Miller Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz

Meal Suggestion for today - Garlic Butter Lobster Tails
Drink of the Day - Cranberry Mojito
Wine of the Day - Perseverance Chardonnay
Destination of the Day - Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island, Azores Portugal

Today in History:
1609 English explorer Henry Hudson, discovers and explores Delaware Bay
1963 Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his "I have a dream" speech addressing the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom civil rights march at Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2200

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930,1300-2200

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 29 Aug

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland 1100-2000

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Westerdam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 29 Aug

Zaandam

Corner Brook, Newfoundland 1000-2300

Zuiderdam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0900-1800

0828Alaska.thumb.png.d3733c31f46ac3e52f0dff5f21dccc5a.png

0828Atlantic.thumb.png.a08a011f098ceda7327c916087f41aec.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 19

Cranberry Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
2 parts Cranberry Simple Syrup
10 Fresh Mint Leaves
1/4 part Lime Juice
Soda Water
Cranberries
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine mint leaves and lime juice in the bottom of a tall glass. Lightly muddle. Fill glass with ice. Add cranberry simple syrup and light rum. Top with soda water. Lightly stir with bar spoon. Garish with fresh cranberries and limes (optional).
Cranberry Simple Syrup: In a saucepan, add 1 cup water,  1 cup sugar and 8 oz of fresh cranberries. Bring to a light simmer over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved and  cranberries start to burst (around 10 minutes). Remove from heat and  strain out cranberries.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 6.30.50 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.

It is partly cloudy and 60°F here.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

We never drink red wine.

Rainbow bridge remembrance Day is important to us.

Today's food sounds good.

Martin Luthers speech was an important historical event.

I hope everyone is safe and well and you all have a fantastic day.

• Like 27

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning here, only 8°C (46°F) but it should warm up to a sunny 23°C (73°F) this afternoon.

I'm not sure about racing my mouse.  I remember all my buddies that have crossed the Rainbow bridge, childhood dogs Sparky and Caesar, and dogs my hubby and I had the pleasure to live with - Deputy Dawg, Harpo and Elwood P Dogg.  They were all special in their own way.  I enjoy red wine.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good so does the drink and wine.

A good day in history.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  I hope this is the start of a good week for everyone.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It feels a lot cooler this morning, only 73.  We should be partly cloudy and only 88 with a chance of some rain or drizzle later this afternoon.  Thank you Rich for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  I see some good sized storms in your area this morning so hope your power continues on.  We had several blips yesterday due to storms in surrounding area.

I don't know what to say about that quote today.  Way too early for cognitive abilities.  Racing my mouse around the icons sounds like a waste of time!  I'lll celebrate Rainbow Bridge Remembrance day along with all the pet owners out there.  My dear Granddog Gracie left way too early and we all miss her.  And red wine day on the same day we have a Chardonnay for our wine is ironic.  I'm sure the garlic butter lobster tails will be popular with Dailyites.  I can take lobster or leave it.  What a colorful drink of the day we have.  More exploration of the New World in 1609 by Hudson.  Those were brave sailors!  And a salute to Martin Luther King, Jr. as we commemorate his "I Have a Dream" speech.👏  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for posting their reports today.

Prayers said already for our Care list, DB and friend's DB Mark, as well as those suffering from wildfires and the loss of life.  My friend told me Mark was hospitalized with a blood infection, but is home now.  She is very worried about him. 🙏  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today.  Congrats to all celebrating something!🥂 

Our port today is Praia da Vitoria in the Azores.  I read recently there's an American air base on that island, so that's interesting.  Any of our service men ever been there?  Praia da Vitoria is a first time port for the Daily!🎉  Our Grand Med and Africa in 2018 stopped there and on two other Azores islands.  I'll post the photos next post, but no link needed today. 

Please be careful and have a wonderful day! 

• Like 34

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie, and Ann.  I think Hudson and King were both pioneers in their own way.  Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day will be very meaningful here.  I'll pass on the red wine but probably spend too much time racing my mouse around icons.  Interesting quote by Miller.  I'll pass on the Lobster.

The name Praia always confuses me.  I think of both Praia and Praia da Vitoria as being related to Portugal although Cape Verde (Praia) gained independence in 1975. I visited Praia in 2014 as a substitute port on MS Amsterdam when several African ports were cancelled due to Ebola.  I visited Praia da Vitoria on MS Nieuw Statendam in 2019.  It was not on our itinerary but there was a late change due to Praia da Vitoria and I appreciated it because I think we were originally headed for Horta which I believe is a tender port.

Roy

• Like 41

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Our port today is Praia da Vitoria in the Azores.  I read recently there's an American air base on that island, so that's interesting.  Any of our service men ever been there? 

Lajes Field is the Air Force Base, it is a shared facility between the Portuguese and US. It also shared the runways with the commercial air port. Like many bases, it has been severely reduced. I was stationed there in '74 & '75 with one of two small Navy Detachments there. The Army also had some support people there. The Navy & Army are no longer there.

The WC stopped there as the last stop before Fort Lauderdale. Despite being with a retired AF (who had also been stationed there) we were unable to access the base to see what still remained there.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Happy Monday everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report.

It will be a coolish day today. Going for a massage and then will be attending to my classes and grading assignments for the rest of the day. I will take several breaks with Fancy taking her for walks today. 

I will have the cranberry mojito as I eat my delicious garlic butter lobster tail. 

So many to remember on Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day. My cats, Squeaky, Misha, Tommy, Basil, Pepper, Tabitha, Frisky, Stripes, and Bradley. Most recently my beloved dog Abby. What wonderful pets they all were. 

I will be thinking of all on today's care list and celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

image.jpeg.b1641784161aa629e6ad01eeb844a4d4.jpeg

• Like 36

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  My mouse will be resting today, he raced around the icons for years.  I think of my cat Max often before his crossing rainbow bridge.  I’m sure some of us will happily celebrate red wine.  I like the quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound good to me.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!  Another day of packing and organizing.  Our neighbor came by yesterday so that we could show her the plants that will need to be watered etc… Hopefully we’ve not forgotten anything important.  We’ve never been away for five weeks before so it’s a little nerve wracking!😬

• Like 32

On April 26, 2018 the Prinsendam arrived in Praia da Vitoria, Azores, Portugal during our Grand Mediterranean and Africa voyage.  The ship arranged for a shuttle bus to take us to the nearby town of Santa Cruz.  One thing that surprised me was how many cows I saw on the ride to our drop off point.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

This was where we were dropped off.  Right away I noticed the trees wearing knitted wraps.  Sort of fun and reminded me of the whimsical wraps on the trash bins in Akureyri, Iceland.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1bYEQhbsDEpJvuYhaSwwZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526136524

I didn’t know the name of this monument but looked it up.  “In the municipal park (Jardim municipal) a monument was erected in 1879 in memory of José Silvestre Ribeiro (1807–1891), a Portuguese politician who organized the reconstruction of the city after the earthquake in 1841.”  That earthquake pretty much destroyed this area.

The very cool streets of Praia da Vitoria

Next we came upon the Church of Santa Cruz

Views from the church area

Another square

A vividly colored restaurant with a mariachi band and dancing lady ready to entertain

Time to get back to the shuttle stop just at the other end of the pedestrian street

The beautiful area by the marina

A monument to the patron saint of Praia da Vitoria, the Blessed Virgin Mary

And the lighthouse as we sailed away that evening

An interesting and worthwhile stop on our cruise.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Lajes Field is the Air Force Base, it is a shared facility between the Portuguese and US. It also shared the runways with the commercial air port. Like many bases, it has been severely reduced. I was stationed there in '74 & '75 with one of two small Navy Detachments there. The Army also had some support people there. The Navy & Army are no longer there.

The WC stopped there as the last stop before Fort Lauderdale. Despite being with a retired AF (who had also been stationed there) we were unable to access the base to see what still remained there.

That's right, the article did say it was a joint air base.  Too bad about not being able to go inside the base to check out the changes since you were there.  Thank you for your service Rich!

• Like 27

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, ? off ventilator

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas with a fall, broken ribs and head laceration

Catmando (Marshhawk’s DH Chuck) post eye surgery, check-up today

Marshhawk’s family (Momma Norma and son) and friend issues

Cruzin Terri traveling to Jacksonville for appointment on 8/29

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

RIP Bob Barker

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; flooding in several states from torrential rain

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Sharon in AZ’s DM’s sister in hospice

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Smitty34877’s DH making treatment decisions

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mr. Boston’s big 5 week trip to Europe

Nickelpenny enjoying substitute teaching

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

Smitty34877’s DH Lou doing a bit better

Cruising sister on a spa retreat

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam Sept 3 to Sept 13)

6 days for Luvteaching (Westerdam Sept 3 to Sept 10)

7 days for RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy Sept 4 to Sept 20) B2B

Lobsternight (Celebrity Eclipse to Sept 3), celebrating 60th birthday, Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ) and HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B)

• Like 27
  • Thanks 16

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich

and thanks to Ann, Debbie, Dixie & Vanessa.

Nice collection of days.  I’ll pass on the Red Wine day and toast you all who enjoy it with my white 🙂  LOL on racing a mouse around the icons - assuming you could get it to go where you wanted 😉 

IMG_0869.jpeg.e8911e766a0ae42d80ccdb09936b6e66.jpeg

Rainbow Remembrance Day is celebrated everyday by many of us.  Our fur family remain forever in our hearts and minds.

IMG_1038.jpeg.1f4ad3e130a265b8b6753e7d3b4c6a23.jpeg

I like today’s quote but then again I liked the book.  F&B suggestions for today sound great!  It’s always a good day for lobster whether you like garlic/lemon butter.  Today’s drink sounds lovely and yippee on white wine. 👍 Today’s port is the only island in the Azores we haven’t been to.

IMG_1015.thumb.jpeg.89c2b9cc4a6ba092233774fff3774826.jpeg

I have a Dream is iconic and a wonderful day in history.

Looks like it may be a nice day.  We certainly deserve one.  Lots to do and of course,  I didn’t get as much accomplished yesterday as I hoped but deconstruction did begin of hanging baskets.  I better make a list today to make sure I am on track.  LOL (not that it guarantees anything 😂).  I am re-thinking planting next year.  No hanging baskets that I can’t reach myself.  Time to recognize my limitations.  

IMG_1017.thumb.jpeg.1ce7f6aa69764dc458f5b07117d21671.jpeg

Thinking of  those in the path of the current storm and praying everyone can remain safe.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, medical issues and worries & for those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating & cruising.

IMG_1016.jpeg.371aa403218b1bd65db8a1b9fd5c9fda.jpeg

Have a good Monday everyone. 

IMG_3514.jpeg.158056331f1f583dcf74acbae2c58881.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Haha 10

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Though there were some massive clouds off the coast, it is possible they are part of a marine layer. We are expecting rain from Idalia, and right now the maximum gusts predicted for my area are 40 mph - we deal with that frequently. So we expect yard waste cleanup. And how appropriate that this Saturday morning is our monthly beach cleanup!  If only people paid as much attention to their trash as they do to their devices.

The County just North of me puts out these helpful comparisons. 

IMG_1687.jpeg.894829048edbebc718ce77bf2d2df420.jpeg

Hoping everyone to the West & Northwest stay safe. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking care of our lists.  Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time - could be my last pool time for a few days. 

You only have to worry, if it talks back. 😎

IMG_1661.jpeg.1032db0029849d6ea63a4d738312da16.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg.cad029831985ab1baff62c29c26c0130.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpeg.c88d414b2fe321c6941596a1fbe57d2f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Perseverance Chardonnay

A white wine on Red Wine Day - oh the irony! Well you can find this wine almost anywhere for a very reasonable price that makes it very easy to try. I could not find any critic reviews, but consumers think it is very good. Numerous online distributors  with prices starting at $9.98.

Distributor notes 

A fine example of an easy-drinking style of Chardonnay from California. It is nice and smooth, with notes of banana, melon and papaya topped off with flavors of toasty oak. Drink with fruit and cheese platters, or fondue.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

Thank you Rich for your dedication to the Daily , and for your service. 

I haven’t been to today’s port but, for Roy, I have been to Horta and we docked there- memorable because it took 4 tries to dock due to winds!  

We got flu shots and groceries accomplished yesterday. Then I rested! Just haven’t got as much energy as I used to. I sorted some more for packing but not enough. Today is a rare Costco run to stock up, especially the always essential TP, plus salmon, turkey and chicken which are the mainstays of our suppers.  So far, thankfully no side effects from the flu shot. Hope I make it through the day ok. Tonight is book group, seems I only get there about half the time so I’m looking forward to seeing the ladies. 

I’m watching the weather for our upcoming cruise ports. Portland is forecast to be 95 Wednesday next week!  We’d better have at least one summer shirt each!  The rest of the ports should be comfortable to cool. 

Hurricane Franklin could impact our ship’s passage to or from Bermuda before it is to dock in NY on Monday for us to board so I’m watching for itinerary changes. 

Hoping rain comes to the fire zones in the PNW. Prayers for protection for all the firefighters. 

Blessings to Terri heading to Mayo today. And to all in need. Great checkin from Denise in Kaanapali!  Blessings to all in harm’s way of Hurricane Idalia. Time to prep!  The moon phase is already causing tidal flooding in the Florida Keys, storm winds will make it worse even from an offshore storm. I have family scattered all over FL from top to bottom, all very experienced at storms. 

Cheers to all celebrating! @Mr. Boston soon you’ll be able to let go the fretting and enjoy that big AHhhh!  

Smooth travels to all away. Everyone stay safe!  
Maureen 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Though forecast have Idalia forecasted East of us we are still on alert. After living in Florida for many years we have learned to not trust weather forecast. Will top off the car’s gas tank today. Fortunately my Sue is flying home tomorrow. 
Was invited over to neighbors for a pizza party last night with three neighbor households. Good time and conversation.

Have been to Lages, Azores several times to refuel and crew rest. Always had orders to buy and bring home Rose Mateus wine. Popular then hardly ever see it anymore.

Would love today’s lobster dish though at $18.00 per pound for live Maine lobsters here in Florida it’s getting cost prohibitive.

With wonderful thoughts and memories of beloved pets who have traveled the Rainbow Bridge. Know your dearly missed.

Time to get laundry started. Thanks for the Fleet Report and featured post. Have a great and safe week. Bruce

image.jpeg.fa10efa151a347894f73f0296e865f06.jpegimage.jpeg.d4dfdbfc44c10aa54b3f2c114d9706ae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e766add262a17b90cf1778deca768520.jpegimage.jpeg.b6487d92293d342f3a0d005ec545ea60.jpegimage.jpeg.7f7eec35e9cfe802bccee5e94651862f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1fc2b00200055d20de694b3a06382f67.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 23

Good morning from a still dark central Texas where it is 76F and feels like 76F.  We have a 6 mph wind with 89% humidity and a dew point of 72F.  I don't need to worry about the humidity for my walk since my exercise today will be house cleaning.  Our high today will be 95F after our "cold" front yesterday.

There are days that I race my mouse around the icons.  I remember all our dogs and cats who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and I miss them all.  Red wine is enjoyed here often.

The quote is interesting and really true.  

We enjoy lobster tails on rare occasions, but tonight will not be one of them.  I think we'll be having salmon (me) and cod (DH) with asparagus tonight.  Please don't put cranberries in my mojito.  We'll pass on the wine.

We were in Praia da Vitoria once in 2011 on Prinsendam.  I'll post my pictures in a few minutes.

MLK speech 60 years ago was a milestone, but there is still a ways to go to reach his dream.  Another good day in history when Henry Hudson reached the Delaware Bay.

I hope all who are in the path of Idalia remain safe and have minimal damage.  BTW, DH's maternal grandmother was named Idalia, the only other time I've seen that name.

A poem about Texas that I found on FB.

BBQ is good

Blueberries are tart

If you don't like Texas

Well bless your heart.

350311386_984924836274050_6778732115580598649_n.jpg.7685b5e9914f240c26f500fa6011bb1b.jpg

350528477_966852261400412_984525230503808548_n.jpg.97c2b2c7a476b228320997111c120ef0.jpg

354067744_589079426669088_5564674782462208537_n.jpg.114b03cb4cfe3b60022e2fb6bbc25fe9.jpg

354229292_659087459591702_88460601754260510_n.jpg.c10d31970cfd9330944df4e428c6f8b8.jpg

358106718_686074150218504_2023159914771294983_n.thumb.jpg.513c82baf414feb51c9c0022e7acda53.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Haha 26

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Have been to Lages, Azores several times to refuel and crew rest. Always had orders to buy and bring home Rose Mateus wine. Popular then hardly ever see it anymore.

Mateus flowed freely both on and off base while I was there. Seems like it was something like $1/liter.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

On May 24, 2011, on a TA, Prinsendam stopped in Praia da Vitoria on the island of Terceira.  As is our usual habit when stopping at a new port, we rented a car and toured the island.

A monument to the bulls

P1010960.thumb.JPG.37012d7aef4f06450869ea649a9fccd4.JPG

P1010961.thumb.JPG.3f370ba42356be21013e27d8871250b8.JPG

Forte de Sao Bras

P1010967.thumb.JPG.26e18bfc5da0875973016b397912ba67.JPG

P1010969.thumb.JPG.b8d78c21944c74b67d8f39592cc5e969.JPG

P1010971.thumb.JPG.11a13d2a53b1899e415fec7a9e2bcdeb.JPG

The bull ring.  At least in Portugal they do not kill the bulls.

P1010973.thumb.JPG.e06bfb737eee74082b9f6d1db837ee67.JPG

Just a small portion of the coast line

P1010978.thumb.JPG.4c47f204b008d3d7cc4b346000bdb5a8.JPG

A swimming hole along the rugged coast

P1010983.thumb.JPG.140126e08a7ca409966b97d13157932c.JPG

P1010986.thumb.JPG.903a40930a88741a8870c6bf28a07549.JPG

P1010987.thumb.JPG.8ed700bc24d8a3812587c9682e0d4d04.JPG

One of the many horses we saw.

P1010996.thumb.JPG.636067df15735c5d5a80d787b1b5aabc.JPG

The Elegant Explorer

P1010991.thumb.JPG.b812ab340463c3233b3747c20c932528.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On April 26, 2018 the Prinsendam arrived in Praia da Vitoria, Azores, Portugal during our Grand Mediterranean and Africa voyage.  The ship arranged for a shuttle bus to take us to the nearby town of Santa Cruz.  One thing that surprised me was how many cows I saw on the ride to our drop off point.

This was where we were dropped off.  Right away I noticed the trees wearing knitted wraps.  Sort of fun and reminded me of the whimsical wraps on the trash bins in Akureyri, Iceland.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1bYEQhbsDEpJvuYhaSwwZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526136524

I didn’t know the name of this monument but looked it up.  “In the municipal park (Jardim municipal) a monument was erected in 1879 in memory of José Silvestre Ribeiro (1807–1891), a Portuguese politician who organized the reconstruction of the city after the earthquake in 1841.”  That earthquake pretty much destroyed this area.

The very cool streets of Praia da Vitoria

Next we came upon the Church of Santa Cruz

Views from the church area

Another square

A vividly colored restaurant with a mariachi band and dancing lady ready to entertain

Time to get back to the shuttle stop just at the other end of the pedestrian street

The beautiful area by the marina

A monument to the patron saint of Praia da Vitoria, the Blessed Virgin Mary

And the lighthouse as we sailed away that evening

An interesting and worthwhile stop on our cruise.

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1