Surprised there's no story up yet regarding couple stuck in Cozumel

klfrodo

21 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I'm very curious as to what the Amazon scam is. How did the scammers benefit?

I'm not really sure unless they were putting claims in on misdelivered packages.  They had also charged an additional prime membership to my card. Scammers find a way.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Years ago one of our kids started receiving packages with stuff they never ordered.  What was explained to them was that the thieves order two of everything and have one sent to the correct address and the other sent to themselves as a "gift".  Don't know if that's how it still works as this was awhile back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I can confirm that about Europe. We had Euros, but almost every place we tried to spend them in Amsterdam only took credit or debit cards.

I should add, we also had pounds in London. We did manage to spend them, but if we had none, it would not have ever mattered as we could have used a credit card.

36 minutes ago, Babr said:

Actually, no.

We are talking about travel insurance, not your ordinary healthcare policy. They have a right to and will examine your medical records to determine if the claim is valid.

Read the list of exclusions to see what other activities you might want to avoid.

So you have travel insurance which excludes drinking, or excludes reimbursement if you were injured in conjunction with drinking alcohol?

Further, you believe medical insurance companies do not have access to and read your medical records?

Edited by logan25
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, logan25 said:

So you have travel insurance which excludes drinking, or excludes reimbursement if you were injured in conjunction with drinking alcohol?

Further, you believe medical insurance companies do not have access to and read your medical records?

Not sure what you are asking. Travel insurance is not part of your regular medical insurance that you use at home like Aetna or Humana. Those entities absolutely have all your medical records.

Comprehensive travel insurance covers both travel and health risks when you are away from home and provides additional benefits like evacuation and repatriation. They are underwritten by companies like Nationwide or Generali. When you submit a claim, they ask for documentation and records. You can deny access, but they can deny the claim for failure to provide information.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babr said:

Not sure what you are asking. Travel insurance is not part of your regular medical insurance that you use at home like Aetna or Humana. Those entities absolutely have all your medical records.

Comprehensive travel insurance covers both travel and health risks when you are away from home and provides additional benefits like evacuation and repatriation. They are underwritten by companies like Nationwide or Generali. When you submit a claim, they ask for documentation and records. You can deny access, but they can deny the claim for failure to provide information.

We have an annual travel insurance policy, so I am familiar with the claims process.

9 hours ago, balcony bound said:

Well I agree with you.  I have a couple experiences with my credit card getting hacked in port, and it was NOT all dismissed by the CC company in one case.  In another, I started receiving hundreds of Amazon packages and I never figured out how that scam was working but the Amazon guy that picked up all the packages (after contacting them to figure it out) said it happens frequently (they also had put through another Prime subscription).  One of those happened in Costa Maya, the other at Mahogany Bay.

We take enough cash for drinks or small purchases and a credit card not to be used unless we have a true emergency, like missing the ship for some reason.  Honestly, we don't spend much in port anymore - after a while, seen that done that sets in.

4 hours ago, Bollycats said:

https://www.makeuseof.com/amazon-brushing-scam/  

A few years ago, thousands of people were getting packets of seeds and this is why.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Medical travel insurance is generally extremely limited in terms of both payouts and the scope of what is covered.  You'd have to pay a hefty sum for a plan to paid the medical bills in full for such accident (the article mentions that the hospital won't do anything beyond stabilize them since they lack medical insurance... even with travel insurance, it would cover nothing more).  And the reality is that medical in Mexico is cheap -- they could negotiate the bill to less than what insurance would've cost them.  

They're young but obviously the smartest thing to have done would've been not to rent the scooter to begin with.  If you think people drive aggressively in Florida (and they do), you haven't see aggressive until you've been to Mexico/ Latin America.  

There are policies that will do more for medical than you describe.  Medical in Mexico is cheap, unless you are an American who doesn't live or have connections there.  I am on the page that no one should leave the country without a passport. Ever.  But realistically- Cozumel is a pretty safe place to rent a scooter, a car... whatever.  The roads are easy.  Hard to get lost.  Locals are used to dumb tourists not knowing where they are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Some of the private excursion vendors ask you to pay cash for balance after you pay deposit on cc.  I have to bring $100 plus deposit for jeep in Cozumel and $60 plus deposit for golf carts in Costa Maya plus tips for all my excursions.

Yes- this is really common in Mexico.  It also happens in some of the really tiny ports elsewhere that are not as frequented as our Mexican ports.  Use a credit card with a travel insurance policy for rental cars (that also covers foreign country rentals) for the deposit.  Pay in Mexico for the "extra" insurance coverage for the car.  It is usually $10 or $15 bucks for the day.  Have a travel insurance policy that will cover medical expenses, evacuation, repatriation- and look for policies that will provide an advance payment for hospitalization.    They are out there.  They cost more. 

I started buying travel insurance after a scare on a cruise.  Husband was on an excursion without me and we were supposed to meet when it was over, and he didn't arrive.  All was fine. Nothing happened.  But the guys at the metal detector when I boarded without him said something about him that made me think he had been hurt.  It was a mistake. That is all it took.  We always have insurance now and I choose the policy carefully and just think of it as part of the standard travel expense like airfare or hotel.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I've never purchased a policy that specifically excluded injuries from being inebriated.

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Egads, too many to mention. They do exclude coverage for trip delay or cancellation if one is intoxicated but I've seen nothing that excludes medical care for injuries caused when one is intoxicated.

It is listed under “General Limitations and Exclusions “ or similar wording and usually is near the end of the policy.

Here’s one if this link is allowed. It is for a Nationwide policy which is pretty common. Scroll down to page 14 #9.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/certificate/?cert=NW/NWE/NWEr21_cert_TXfulfillment

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

That's a little harsh. Are you saying they deserved to be I jured?

No. I’m saying they engaged in an activity that has a huge chance both for something bad to happen and the outcome could be catastrophic. And were unprepared. Harsh is what they are putting their families through. 

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, john91498 said:

No point in arguing. He's just another "expert" who talks about things he knows nothing about.

All you have to do is read the policy, and then you’d know it too.

See the link above for an example. Page 14 #9 for travel benefits; page 26 #9 for medical benefits. Then check any other policy you might consider buying.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Babr said:

All you have to do is read the policy, and then you’d know it too.

See the link above for an example. Page 14 #9 for travel benefits; page 26 #9 for medical benefits. Then check any other policy you might consider buying.

You obviously have never had to deal with contracts because you don't read the fine print.

14 is trip cancellation

26 is death

It doesn't matter if I'm drunk when I broke my arm, the medical will cover it...

1 minute ago, john91498 said:

You obviously have never had to deal with contracts because you don't read the fine print.

14 is trip cancellation

26 is death

It doesn't matter if I'm drunk when I broke my arm, the medical will cover it...

Since we are talking about medical claims - on page 26 under Limitations and Exclusions, “The following exclusions apply to….. Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense.”

Loss caused by or resulting from:

Number 9 - Being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants

That means drunk, and it means it is not covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1