Experienced cruisers, what things do you do religiously now after learning from multiple cruises?

juanarcin

Wondering what you learned to do after cruising multiple times to save time, money or aggrevation? Anything from packing, to planning multiple dinner reservations, picking excursions, picking ships or cabins, TA, ordering drinks...anything you can think of! Any info is very much appreciated, thanks!

Packing: Things that will be on hangers are packed on hangers. When we are ready to unpack onboard, just pick up, hang, done.  We also cross-pack some things (his/hers) in case one suitcase should be lost (has never happened).

Seasickness:  We started cruising before anyone warned about it, so never took any meds. Have never been seasick. We don't plan to ever pack or take any meds or devices.

"Things":  Many current posts recommend "the 10/30/50 most important items you must have for your cruise".  Lots include a link to Amazon.  Apart from clothing, we've never bought, nor wished we had, any of the items we've seen on these lists.

• Like 1

Usually I book the exact cabin I want but there are some exceptions.  I book my airfare and any port hotels ASAP, refundable fares of course. I watch for price drops but knowing that is done certainly eases my mind.  Those are the only things I consider necessary.  

• Like 7

Personally, we learned that we do not like balcony cabins, even when the fare is the same as an inside, and even though many consider a balcony the epitome or necessary way to go.

I guess the lesson is that no matter how much advice we share, it might not be the right answer for the other person, especially a new cruiser.

And I guess even "would I enjoy a cruise?" depends on the individual.  I know that I would not enjoy being taken to a golf resort or an RV vacation, but a cruise is bliss.

• Like 5

When we are traveling from cold at home to hot on the cruise, we fly dressed in comfortable layers we can shed when we get to port. And we make sure we have a swimsuit and whatever we might want for the first few hours in a tote or backpack in case we have to wait for luggage or our room. We do always try to fit everything in carry-ons anyway. Packing cubes really help. 
if you can’t resist shopping, bring a fold up tote. Fill it with dirty laundry as the trip goes on. Then you have room in your luggage for the goodies. Checking luggage on the way home isn’t the risk it is in the way there. 
We always bring extra meds, especially during winter. Even if you aren’t flying anywhere cold, winter weather can mess up flights all over the country. 
I can’t stress this one enough- (assuming you’re flying) make a note in your phone exactly where you parked your car and how to get there. You WILL forget. 
Bring a waterproof phone case you can wear. Then you can keep It with you and safe at the pool, beach, etc. I use this to carry my ship card, money or cc or passport when I may need them, and of course my phone. 
Bring extra glasses and sunglssses. If you don’t, you will lose or break them. 
I also like to bring funk away so I can rewear clothes. But don’t bring too many t-shirts. I always buy at least two every trip. 
We also have a tradition of buying ornaments from each cruise or country. They are small and a great way to remember each cruise every year when you decorate your tree. 
Most important- bring an open mind. Other cultures are not like ours (no matter where you’re from). Enjoy the experience! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Wondering what you learned to do after cruising multiple times to save time, money or aggrevation? Anything from packing, to planning multiple dinner reservations, picking excursions, picking ships or cabins, TA, ordering drinks...anything you can think of! Any info is very much appreciated, thanks!

Pack less and use the ship's laundry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We feel there is too much fuss sometimes about dining reservations in advance, and way too much fuss over the specialty restaurants especially if there is an additional fee to eat.  We tend to sail on Viking Ocean, and we have NEVER had an issue getting our specialty (included) dining reservations once on board the ship.  (So many stress about not getting what they want in dining reservations)

We generally always go one day in advance, especially in the winter, because even if you live in a place where winter weather does not impact you, it could impact where your flight is originating from, or where it was supposed to fly in from the day before.

We tend to dress nicely when out for an excursion or on the ship for dinner, and we don't do formal or formal nights, so, to reduce clothing, you can consider that before dinner you freshen up (shower) and then put on a new outfit, go for dinner, and then wear the same outfit the next day for your excursion and make your wardrobe change again before dinner.  

If you are going to use the ships self-laundry, make sure that the clothes are dryer friendly so that you can tumble and go...

• Like 2

-- Don't try to pack for every contingency, bring only what you know you'll need.

-- Be organized; use checklists or a spreadsheet for key info.

-- To minimize stress arrive at least a day ahead of your cruise; double-check or reconfirm any reservations prior to leaving home (hotel, transportation to port, private tours, etc.)

-- Try not to compare cruiselines. Enjoy the differences rather than bemoaning them.

-- It's not just your vacation, it's everyone's. Be patient and nice to other passengers and especially to hardworking crew.

-- Be flexible. Almost every trip has a bump or a blip here or there. How you deal with it can make the difference between a relaxing vacation and a bad memory.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

-- Be flexible. Almost every trip has a bump or a blip here or there. How you deal with it can make the difference between a relaxing vacation and a bad memory.

I think that this is great advice.  I constantly hear people moaning about a flight delay, a cancelation, poor service, or my personal hated favourite - this is not the way it is at home....

You cannot control delays, cancelations, poor service, or why it is not the way you expected it to be at home.  This is all part of the experience today of travelling, and you must embrace and accept that #$!# happens...

Regarding my personal favourite - if you want everything the way it is at home, stay at home.

• Like 2

Enjoying you vacation is all a matter of attitude. If you think of every blip as an adventure rather than a problem you will have so much more fun and less stress. 
This goes for life too! Always hope for the best and prepare for the worst. 

• Like 4

Don't over plan, but don't completely wing it either. Have a general idea of things you might like to try, especially once you reach the port. 

Come in with an open mind and willing to try new things. Don't let one component of a cruise ruin your day when there may be 20 other things that could make your day.

• Like 2

Things we always do because, in our opinions, it makes the trip easier: 

- Our #1 absolute must-do is to arrive a day ahead.  

- We pack light. 

- We don't spend extra on food.  

- We never put our luggage out in the hallway on the last night; rather, we use self-disembarkation. 

- Most importantly, we show up with the assumption we're going to have a good time -- and we always do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a born bean-counter, so any trip is meticulously researched with extensive 'notes' on my laptop.  A very detailed calendar goes with me everywhere.  On cruises, I carefully observe and figure out how things are the first 24 hours, then easily avoid lines, crowds and wasted time.  I pay little attention to 'dinner' since everyone else seems obsessed with food.  I don't stand in lines.  If one thing doesn't work, just move on to another venue or time.  I far more enjoy walking the length of the ship a couple of times looking for what I want than fixating on something and having to wait for admission.   Overriding everything else, I have low expectations and am always be pleased with whatever I find.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't try to do all the activities on board.

Don't get caught up spending money on all the nickel and dime things available on the ship.

Don't worry about what everybody else is doing.

Walk down the hallway to a farther set of elevators on embarkation day, instead of trying to use the same ones as 1,000s of other people.

Don't panic or stress out over a non-working app, being in a green lane, blue lane, fast lane, not having printed boarding passes, QR codes, or whatever else they throw at you to be ready for embarkation. I'm 100% confident that as long as I have proper identification and a form of payment, I will be able to get on the ship.

Be flexible and make the most out of whatever happens. Sometimes the unexpected turns into the best memory!

• Like 5

We've bought travel insurance starting from the very first cruise, but at this point would not travel without it.

Book airfare and hotel (there's always airfare because of where we live) ASAP. This includes making plans to fly in a day before. We may fly in sooner, depending on whether we want to spend time sightseeing in the embarkation city.

Research ports and decide whether or not we want to take a ship's excursion or book independently.

Update our personal information to the cruise line website ASAP.

Get to the port as early as possible on embarkation day because I love the crowds and bustle. This gives us a chance to explore the ship as well. Also, once we're on the ship, I can relax because we made it!

Take advantage of everything I can on board.

Do self disembarkation on the last day.

Spend the flight home daydreaming/talking to my spouse about the cruise.

Edited by mammajamma2013
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

-- To minimize stress arrive at least a day ahead of your cruise; double-check or reconfirm any reservations prior to leaving home (hotel, transportation to port, private tours, etc.)

I've always followed this practice, but I'm thinking about violating it in an upcoming Jan 13th cruise.

I'll be flying from Phoenix to San Diego, the embarcation port, which is less than an hour and a half.  It's from one warm weather spot to another.  I won't be checking bags.  And I will be taking an early morning, 6AM, flight so if something happens and the flight gets cancelled I can hop in my car and drive the 5-1/2 hours to San Diego with a several hours buffer.

Am I crazy to think about doing this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I've always followed this practice, but I'm thinking about violating it in an upcoming Jan 13th cruise.

I'll be flying from Phoenix to San Diego, the embarcation port, which is less than an hour and a half.  It's from one warm weather spot to another.  I won't be checking bags.  And I will be taking an early morning, 6AM, flight so if something happens and the flight gets cancelled I can hop in my car and drive the 5-1/2 hours to San Diego with a several hours buffer.

No, with a solid backup plan you should be ok. Be sure to checkout all of your parking options just so you are familiar. San Diego has a few hotels that have decent rates but the port parking is expensive 

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Well, every rule is made to be broken, lol. 

It sounds like the risk is pretty low.