Reason to travel 1-2 days prior to cruise

DaveOKC

Two weeks ago we were traveling from Oklahoma City to Vancouver, leaving at 6 AM and arriving in Vancouver at Noon.

Figured that being mid-Sept that this would not be a problem - WRONG.

Missed our connection in Dallas, even with a 2.5 hour connection time.

When we arrived in Dallas were told that we were rebooked for next day, which would likely not work.

Was able to convince American that we needed to get to Vancouver that evening, even if it was very late.

They rebooked us to Vegas and then to Vancouver on Air Canada. 

Got to hotel at 11 PM - would have never made a cruise that day.

In the end we (and our luggage) made it to Vancouver, but it was a minor miracle that we made it, so morale of the story is - arrive at least one day early to your departure port, regardless of the time of year.  We had alot of hassle and made it, but if we did not it would have been a real mess, potentially with no luggage for two weeks, even if we made the ship.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

There are SO many things out of your control that could make getting in on embarkation day a nightmare.  Traffic in getting to the airport, weather delays, connection issues, .... 

I haven't trusted it for years.  And with how the airlines are these last few months - Nope. 

I'd rather pay $200 or whatever for a hotel room and the peace of mind.

• Like 9

The last three times I've flown internationally I've missed connections and/or been delayed for a variety of reasons.  Two weeks ago I got into Seattle late due to airline delays and then had to get up early to catch the bus to Vancouver.  The cruise lobby at Seatac was poorly marked (not signed at all) and I wandered back and forth with 2 suitcases and a carryon until I found it.  Canada Place was a nightmare, and we stood in line and walked thru the terminal for 2 hours.  I thought by 1:30 the line would have gone down - not.  I didn't board until 3:15 and sail away was at 4.  My key card wouldn't work so I had to stand in the long line at Guest Services for it to be reprogrammed.  In the meantime I'm being called out because I didn't report to the muster station.  Got out of line, went to the muster station, and told them I didn't report because my card wouldn't scan.  The lady on duty said it wouldn't be a problem, but it was.  Head of security marched me back to Guest Services and to the head of the line to get my key card sorted out so the ship could leave. 

I was so exhausted by the time I got back to my stateroom that I didn't even unpack, just the toiletries and nightgown I needed for that night.  I'm pretty much done with Canada Place and sailing to or from Vancouver.  And Seatac isn't much better.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Roz - Vancouver was a hassle for us as well.  Long walk from aircraft to Customs, long wait in Customs, etc.  Good thing we stayed on the ship until San Diego so did not have to do the Vancouver airport after cruise.  Only good thing was the boarding process went easily at Canada Place.

Avoiding Vancouver in the future.

• Like 2

I had an easy departure from Vancouver last year. The flight was very early, so I had to stay overnight before it, but after hearing terrible stories about long lines, I breezed through. Arrival mid afternoon on a weekday wasn't as easy, but wasn't awful, either. The longest wait/chaos was getting to the person who would take the little slip of paper from the immigration kiosk.  So don't let Vancouver airport be a deal-breaker if a cruise looks good. 

I always go a day or two early for a cruise, for all the reasons people mentioned above. I'm lucky to be near a hub, so I can usually get a direct flight, but even so, "stuff" happens. I can usually find interesting things to do in the port city, so I just consider it an extension of the vacation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So don't let Vancouver airport be a deal-breaker if a cruise looks good. 

On my most recent cruise, Vancouver airport wasn't the problem.  It was Canada Place.  That said, when I priced airfare, it was over $1,000 to fly to YVR vs. $519 on SW to Seattle.  Even with the shuttle fee, it was still much less expensive to fly to Seattle.  

• Like 4

Air travel has become even MORE erratic and unreliable over the last 5 years, and I have NEVER trusted the airlines to get me to a cruise embarkation city on the day of embarkation!  Now, I would do it even less. Thank goodness you had the one day buffer!  Last month, I flew to Seattle to cruise to Alaska.  When we landed, we were delayed getting to our gate because there was an aircraft parked in it.  This was two days before my cruise was leaving, so I was perfectly relaxed.  As we waited to get off the plane, people around me struck up conversation.  The couple across the aisle from me said they were going on a cruise.  I piped up, "Me too. What cruiseline?"  They were on a different line, and I said, "When do you leave?" They said "IN TWO HOURS!!!" It was already well after noon, their cruise was leaving at 3 (doesn't that mean they have to board by 2?) and they were expecting to get off the plane, get their luggage that they had checked, and get to the port in time!  I was aghast, and so were a lot of others around us.  When we finally taxied to the gate, we all parted the seas of people to shoo those two off, but I don't think any of us expected them to make it in time.  And this was with an on time landing, just a slight delay because of gate being occupied! What if something worse had happened. And it was their 10th anniversary cruise... sigh...I still wonder if they made it.

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 2

We also go a day early even if we fly from Portland to San Diego.  

When we go internationally, we try to go at least 3 days early.  Gives us time to reschedule flights if we miss a connection and get over jet lag. Plus do a bit of exploring in the port city.  Worth the extra cost of a hotel.  Better than missing the cruise altogether. We have had enough close calls and airport issues to make going early a priority now.

• Like 2

Yep, Early is the best plan. In 25 years of cruising, we would have missed 2 cruises if we had tried for a same day flight.

To the (non) fans of Vancouver/ Canada place, be aware of another  option.  SWA flies into Bellingham (BLI), about an hour South of Vancouver ( plus border cross and general traffic) . The cross border Quick Shuttle is quite reasonable and takes you from the BLI baggage area to the Cruise lobby inside Canada place. Super easy and quite reliable. Good Hotel options in Bellingham and many near Canada Place. 

Edited by Bxc53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

This is always a good reminder especially in this day and time!  We used to be able to go one day ahead but with our next cruise we are going a week ahead so we can see Barcelona pre-cruise and just be more relaxed without the worry of flights, missed connections, etc

For our Vancouver to Seward cruise, we flew into SEA and spent the night.  The next day we took the train to Vancouver and spent another night there before boarding.  We made the extra "hop" a part of the experience as the train had some great views especially of eagles.

Also, when dealing with airlines, I try hard (even though sometimes its more expensive) to get direct flights.  As a 2 hr delay on a direct flight is annoying, but nothing major.  But that same 2 hr delay to a connection could cause a day or more wait due to missing that connection.  I know that sometimes you have no choice, but minimizing those connections can really lower the risk level.  🙂

And finally, arriving a couple of days early can be very helpful in getting over jet-lag.  We have a cruise out of Rome coming up (traveling from the US) which means there is a 7 hr time difference.  If possible, I'd rather be well on my way to getting over jet-lag before the cruise starts.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I know it really isn't relevant to OP's delay, but this is Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada.  May have made a difference with seat availability to YVR.

My flight was two 1/2 weeks ago, so doubt any impact.

Then there’s hurricane season which can disrupt all kinds of flights. This year, we had storms coming & going, literally.

Tampa airport closed for Idalia a couple of days and it was an stress-reducer to know we had a two-night stay in Montreal before our sailing. And at the end of the cruise, we departed Boston just before Lee arrived.

It’s always something, so there’s no way I’d fly on the cruise date, but I sympathize with people who are juggling work and school schedules and feel they don’t have the luxury of extra days.

Your opinion: I am flying non-stop LAX-MIA the day before embarkation. Flight is on a Saturday in December. I think I’m the first flight out at 6am. (The hardest thing will be telling DH I need to be at the airport by 4am. 😳)

I think I’ll be OK especially since it’s non-stop, but I still have time to change plans. What do y’all think?

@DaveOKC
Glad you made it but so stressful.  

I learned years ago reading these boards that people should fly in early.  When we did the Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver, my luggage didn’t show up even though it was priority.  (We flew from Vancouver & no non stop flights).  Mr Bear has his  suitcase show up but not mine.  Thankfully, from learning from seasoned cruisers on here, we flew in 3 days prior to the cruise & my bag showed up in time.

I also try to book us on non stop flights if they are available.  It’s crazy though here in Canada how expensive they are now even just from Vancouver to San Diego for our February cruise.  WestJet which goes Vancouver via Calgary or Air Canada non stop.  You know which one we chose! 

3 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Your opinion: I am flying non-stop LAX-MIA the day before embarkation. Flight is on a Saturday in December. I think I’m the first flight out at 6am. (The hardest thing will be telling DH I need to be at the airport by 4am. 😳)

I think I’ll be OK especially since it’s non-stop, but I still have time to change plans. What do y’all think?

Very smart - you'll get a good night's sleep in Miami before your cruise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

At least you don’t have to worry about snow so I’d think you’d be ok.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Another good thing about your 6 AM plan is that you'll be an early morning departure. There are usually fewer delays with early morning, since delays often build up during the day and can impact connecting flights.  Weather permitting, you should be in really good shape. The pre-cruise hotel is worth it in my book.

• Like 4

We hate to fly but love to cruise so we moved to Florida 30 years ago and have our choice of 5 ports that we can drive to to get on a cruise ship, granted we are basically limited to cruises to the Caribbean, the Panama Canal and South America, that’s OK because we’ve seen everything we want to see in various parts of the world. Back to flying, at one time it was a very nice experience, now I’d rather hop on a Greyhound bus than get on a airplane and all the lousy things that go with flying including flight delays, flight cancellations, unruly passengers, crowded airports and filthy airplanes.

• Like 4