Jewel of the Seas - Aft Facing

3 hours ago, packedandready said:

1100, 9256, 8168, 7172. Any one better than the other? Larger cabins/balconies? Shade? Thoughts? Opinions?

We are on Radiance.  Actually the cruise last week we had 9660, aft facing balcony.  Our favorite location.  Bigger cabin, bigger balcony which has a table, 2 regular chairs and 2 lounge chairs. Partly shaded.  Had to move and miss the aft balcony. 

Just checked. On Jewel we also had 9660.  On Brilliance 8672; daughter had 8172.  No complaints. 

Edited by njkruzer

3 hours ago, packedandready said:

1100, 9256, 8168, 7172. Any one better than the other? Larger cabins/balconies? Shade? Thoughts? Opinions?

We have had 1100 and 7172 and soon have a center aft on deck 9.  We loved 11.  Huge balcony and great cabin.  Some complain about noise from above but we didn't have any issues.  7172 has a narrower balcony.  It is barely deep enough for a lounge chair to lay down flat but you just put them the other direction.  We definitely heard the bass from the band below until 11 or midnight depending on the night but wasn't too bad.  We prefer corners but are hoping our center aft is good.

Deck 10 under the Windjammer can get quite noisy, chairs being scrapped along the floor all day long can be very annoying. We also had late night cleaning crews that woke us up a few times. We've been in 1104 and 1102. Now we book deck 7,8, or 9 and don't hear anything from above.

• Like 1

We had 7172 on Jewel in June on our Arctic Circle cruise. We loved the aft balcony which was bigger than we thought it would be.

Only issue was that it is above the Safari Club and if there was a late night party/band, you could hear it a little. Depends on what time you went to bed. 

Jewel 7172 1.jpg

Jewel 7172 2.jpg

Jewel 7172 3jpg.jpg

• Like 1

We've stayed in 9256 a few times. I can't compare it to the pothers because that's the only one we've been in. We love 9256 because of the views of the wake and you're also able to look forward a little. The balcony has 2 chairs, 2 tables and 2 loungers. The others may be better, again I can't compare but I guarantee you won't be disappointed with 9256.

• Like 1

We adore 9256 as a favorite.   Would rather have our usual choice of a JS on that size of ship, but unfortunately 1100 is directly below the outdoor WJ (which includes outdoor voice level talking) and as mentioned, the scraping of chairs and early morning, late evening cleaning.  

We were on deck 10 under the WJ last fall and had zero noise issues.  We're on deck 10 again in 10 days under the pool deck.  We also always stay under the pool deck on Vision class which we have found noisier.  But, we do not do aft cabins.  Mainly because during rough seas, the aft motion really gets to me.

2 hours ago, BND said:

We were on deck 10 under the WJ last fall and had zero noise issues.  We're on deck 10 again in 10 days under the pool deck.  We also always stay under the pool deck on Vision class which we have found noisier.  But, we do not do aft cabins.  Mainly because during rough seas, the aft motion really gets to me.

Were you under the outside portion, that's where all the noise comes from. There is no carpeting on the outside portion of the deck so tables and chairs make a lot of noise as they're being dragged across the deck. The interior portion of the Windjammer is carpeted so there is very little noise.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

We had 8168 on the Jewel in March and absolutely loved it. I haven't seen the others, so couldn't compare. The view was great and we had plenty of space.

Good to hear!  We'll be in this cabin in November. Also have it booked on the Radiance out of Tampa in March. Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Were you under the outside portion, that's where all the noise comes from. There is no carpeting on the outside portion of the deck so tables and chairs make a lot of noise as they're being dragged across the deck. The interior portion of the Windjammer is carpeted so there is very little noise.

Yes until they fire up the industrial dishwashers and start moving carts of dishes over the tile.

12 hours ago, island lady said:

We adore 9256 as a favorite.   Would rather have our usual choice of a JS on that size of ship, but unfortunately 1100 is directly below the outdoor WJ (which includes outdoor voice level talking) and as mentioned, the scraping of chairs and early morning, late evening cleaning.  

I’ve 6 weeks in 1100 in January, so I think I’d better take earth plugs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

I’ve 6 weeks in 1100 in January, so I think I’d better take earth plugs

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

Of course I meant ear plugs!!

We have had 1100 and did not have issues with noise from above.  It is a great cabin and great balcony.

• Like 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

We have had 1100 and did not have issues with noise from above.  It is a great cabin and great balcony.

That’s good to know as I did have problems about 2am with a cabin in the middle of the aft on Brilliance last year on deck 10.  I’d already booked 1100 when this happened 

• Like 1

We loved the balcony on 1100 and never had any noise problems from the WJ above (probably because that area is not open late), but a word of caution for those with motion problems - the beds on the aft facing balconies are oriented horizontally to the direction of the ship, so you will have a completely different sense of motion than in cabins where the beds point vertically to the direction.

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

We loved the balcony on 1100 and never had any noise problems from the WJ above (probably because that area is not open late), but a word of caution for those with motion problems - the beds on the aft facing balconies are oriented horizontally to the direction of the ship, so you will have a completely different sense of motion than in cabins where the beds point vertically to the direction.

I know what you mean about the beds but I’m used to aft cabins, just not the amount of noise I experienced on the Brilliance