New "crown lounge" rule

colesc15

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why Crown? Because it is generic and they can use the space for whatever they want in the future without making new signs and no one group able to claim the space as "theirs".

Maybe Crown because it is from:-

Crown and Anchor Society.

TBH we only pop into the DL for a coffee during the day and our

5 daily vouchers each can be used everywhere at any time of day including speciality restaurants which suits us.

The novelty of unlimited drinks during happy hour in the DL is no longer there as an incentive to sit in an overcrowded DL.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Ohhhhh....This is all about to get very interesting for us.

Last week in August, we were on Quantum...took our daughters and sons-in-laws.  We are D+, they are all D.  Of course, we had our pre-dinner drinks every night in the Diamond Club.  No problem.  Of course, there were only 26 D+s and 6 Pinnacles on the entire ship.  220-something Diamonds.

However, our next couple of RCCL cruises (after 3 upcoming Celebrity cruises--where we are Elite Plus and they did away with the dedicated lounge awhile ago anyway) are the Europe segments of the World Cruise on Serenade next July/August.  Of course, by the time we board, there will be 930 people who will already have been on board for six months--so, if they weren't D+ before, they all will be by then.  What use will ANY dedicated lounge be when almost EVERYONE on the ship has qualifying status???  Will they bother enforcing ANYTHING?  What's the point?  We just want a nice, comfortable QUIET lounge with good service where we can have relaxing pre-dinner drinks and talk to people...

Seems inevitable that the amount of diamond and higher passengers will increase over time.  

In 2000, RCCL has probably roughly a dozen ships, that held 2500-4000 people at the most.  

In 2023, RCCL has 26 ship, with 10 of them holding between 4000-6000 people.

Twice as many ships, 30-40% larger capacity on average.  Means a lot more people with status.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:25 AM, colesc15 said:

Looks like what some thought might happen is going to happen, at least for 5-8 daily. Found that on another group. No more diamonds in the lounge from 5-8. Maybe specific to whatever this sailing is, but wouldn't surprise me to go forward. Glad I don't care and never go to the lounge. Screenshot_20231015_102321_Facebook2.jpg.bc9b0b939df817e85df677b889919863.jpg

Go at 4:30 pm

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Seems inevitable that the amount of diamond and higher passengers will increase over time.  

In 2000, RCCL has probably roughly a dozen ships, that held 2500-4000 people at the most.  

Twice as many ships, 30-40% larger capacity on average.  Means a lot more people with status.

It also means a lot more capacity to handle the larger crowds too.  

I'm a newbie so maybe this is a stupid question, but: 

Why is the assumption that they're going to just yeet the diamonds out of the diamond lounge permanently and not that they're going to rename/restructure their loyalty program?  Most of the loyalty levels are precious metals/gems, but then you have the random 'plus' and the word 'pinnacle'.  If I were a brand, I'd look at making all the names of all the levels represent a unified levelling system to represent the brand better.  Much like crown lounge for crown and anchor society levels is a more unified brand recognition thing.  They also have special perks for D+ with 340 points and Pinns with 1040 and 1400 points, which would make me very tempted to separate that out into more levels, especially with the issue of Pinnacle-specific crowding on some sailings.  Make new names for levels, increase the number of levels, let the really ridiculous Pinns who get shirty with the lowly D and D+ members keep to themselves in their extra special corner and not upset anyone with the over the top bragging I hear about here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe those folks won't attain higher status until the cruise is completed just like what happens on any other cruise?

It's a special provision exclusively for the World Cruise--

This is from the World Cruise FAQ on the RCCL website:

Q    If I achieve a new Crown & Anchor Society status during my Ultimate World Cruise or one of the four Ultimate Cruise segments, will I receive my new benefits?

A     Exclusively for our Ultimate World Cruise and the four Ultimate Cruise segments, Crown and Anchor guests will enjoy new tier status and tier benefits on the day of achievement.

So, since they sold 930 passengers on the FULL World Cruise...and those people board on December 10, 2023, by the time we get to July, ALL of those 930, if they weren't D+ before, they will be by July.  And, others, who are most of the way there, but boarding some time between the start in December and later--like those doing the last three quarter-segments--will achieve D+ by July.  And I'll guess many others, like us, are already D+.  By the time we're onboard, I'm guessing there will only be a scant few passengers less than D+...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thoenix said:

Why is the assumption that they're going to just kick the diamonds out of the diamond lounge permanently and not that they're going to rename/restructure their loyalty program? 

Welcome to CC.

CC posters make lots of assumptions that don't come true.

• Like 6

I don't think they went through the process of renaming and changing signage on a bunch of ships to keep everything the same. This company is not in the position to spend money for no gain. It may be months or years but change is a comin'. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I don't think they went through the process of renaming and changing signage on a bunch of ships to keep everything the same. This company is not in the position to spend money for no gain. It may be months or years but change is a comin'. 

mac_tlc

agree.  Why go to the trouble to change the name and signage if they don't have an underlying plan?  There's a reason, we just don't know what that is yet.  

• Like 3

On 10/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, Tree_skier said:

Or 4:55... I doubt anyone is going to be asked to leave.

Pretty obvious, you would not change the name unless you were going to kick the diamonds out.  Unless they go back to the old rules of you can have as many drinks as you like in the now “crown” lounge it doesn’t really matter now that there are vouchers.  I, personally, don’t see what this gains for them.  The diamonds still get their 4 free drinks, they just don’t get to sit with us in the small lounges full of old people.  I guess this is a win for someone, but I don’t really see it. 

• Like 3

Some time ago, JD mentioned that the “full” WC folks were able to [temporarily, just for the WC]“trade” their C&A status for some amount (can’t recall how much) of OBC.  I wonder….for those who chose the OBC, will they lose their Lounge status/ability to go to the lounges ?  What exactly do they lose if they trade their status for the OBC ?

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Agree. RCL did not even finish the Concierge Lounge to Suite Lounge name change on all the ships. If they are going to change DL to Crown Lounge then something is coming up!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Pretty obvious, you would not change the name unless you were going to kick the diamonds out.  Unless they go back to the old rules of you can have as many drinks as you like in the now “crown” lounge it doesn’t really matter now that there are vouchers.  I, personally, don’t see what this gains for them.  The diamonds still get their 4 free drinks, they just don’t get to sit with us in the small lounges full of old people.  I guess this is a win for someone, but I don’t really see it. 

Yeah, my only thought is if they kicked the Pins out of the SL fleet wide that would put added pressure on the CL (former DL).  It certainly won't save them any money though that's why the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

By the time we're onboard, I'm guessing there will only be a scant few passengers less than D+...

Reading some of the individual sectors roll calls I think quite a few 'normal' pax booked without knowing it was part of the world cruise.

So there may be a few diamond and below members, including us. 

But I agree it will be interesting to see how they can make any kind of exclusive experience for pins and D+ when over half the ship are at that level.

Just hope we won't be kicked out of whole areas/lounges. Love sitting in the Viking Crown lounge having a pre dinner drink 

Hoping someone will do a trip report and let us know.

Our sectors are in July too and I'm thinking of cancelling for this and other reasons

Edited by sgmn

10 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

True, lots of more people becoming higher status with time, but it also works the other way.

Some of the top tiers, will fall of as they age into an age where they can't cruise anymore.. Most of those that were in the 70-80 age span in the early 2000s are probably not cruising anymore.

It would be interesting to know how much of an increase the higher levels have had over time. (considering more and larger ships also means more passengers)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And I said it again because some folks are just blowing it off as meaningless. I've lived through enough of RCI's changes to know how they introduce and implement them. Maybe I'm wrong about this but I doubt it.

You and I know....you are not wrong.  😉 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Thoenix said:

Why is the assumption that they're going to just yeet the diamonds out of the diamond lounge permanently and not that they're going to rename/restructure their loyalty program?  Most of the loyalty levels are precious metals/gems, but then you have the random 'plus' and the word 'pinnacle'.  If I were a brand, I'd look at making all the names of all the levels represent a unified levelling system to represent the brand better.  Much like crown lounge for crown and anchor society levels is a more unified brand recognition thing.  They also have special perks for D+ with 340 points and Pinns with 1040 and 1400 points, which would make me very tempted to separate that out into more levels, especially with the issue of Pinnacle-specific crowding on some sailings.  Make new names for levels, increase the number of levels, let the really ridiculous Pinns who get shirty with the lowly D and D+ members keep to themselves in their extra special corner and not upset anyone with the over the top bragging I hear about here.

Wow...profiling much?   Sorry but you don't know me.   And we don't use the DL (now CL) what's left of actual CLs or SL for drinks at all.   We are the sneaky ones that prefer the common lounges.  Beware...we may be sitting next to you, and you don't know it.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's a special provision exclusively for the World Cruise--

This is from the World Cruise FAQ on the RCCL website:

Q    If I achieve a new Crown & Anchor Society status during my Ultimate World Cruise or one of the four Ultimate Cruise segments, will I receive my new benefits?

A     Exclusively for our Ultimate World Cruise and the four Ultimate Cruise segments, Crown and Anchor guests will enjoy new tier status and tier benefits on the day of achievement.

So, since they sold 930 passengers on the FULL World Cruise...and those people board on December 10, 2023, by the time we get to July, ALL of those 930, if they weren't D+ before, they will be by July.  And, others, who are most of the way there, but boarding some time between the start in December and later--like those doing the last three quarter-segments--will achieve D+ by July.  And I'll guess many others, like us, are already D+.  By the time we're onboard, I'm guessing there will only be a scant few passengers less than D+...

I could not score a suite.  Not even a JS.

I will be getting just one point per day.  And that won't really get me anything anyway.  😉 

11 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Some time ago, JD mentioned that the “full” WC folks were able to [temporarily, just for the WC]“trade” their C&A status for some amount (can’t recall how much) of OBC.  I wonder….for those who chose the OBC, will they lose their Lounge status/ability to go to the lounges ?  What exactly do they lose if they trade their status for the OBC ?

As long as they let me in for my morning coffee...I am good to go.  

Love the VCL on Serenade for happy hour.  🥰

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thoenix said:

Please do your homework and provide accurate information. 

First  of all, there are additional diamond plus benefits at the 525 level as well. Pinnacle of course  starts at 700. There is no benefit at 1040, however, there is a free cruise (balcony cabin on a Caribbean cruise or a trade in value)   at 1050 points.   There is a free cruise at every  350 points. There is no specific extra benefit at 1400 points except at that level, every 350 point cruise benefit changes from a balcony cabin to a junior suite.  There is  no additional level needed.

The original gap between diamond plus and  Pinnacle was intentional and created to demonstrate extreme loyalty to the company. 

Regarding your Pinnacle comment, I don’t know how you can make such a nasty sweeping remark about a category of individuals. You’re basing your  comment on perhaps something you heard on a social media site, not based on personal experience.  Pinnacle bashing is the national pastime of this group. No one wants to admit they would love to be Pinnacle, it’s simply much more fun to bash others.

Just to provide some more information to you, Pinnacles are generally not allowed in the suite/concierge lounge. While there may be a Pinnacle event held somewhere in the evening cocktail hours, Pinnacles are specifically assigned to the diamond lounge.  They have as much right to be there any D or D+ passenger. 

Get off your “new diamond level“  pedestal and BE GRACIOUS AND ACCEPTING of all fellow passengers.  

M

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

CC posters make lots of assumptions that don't come true.

Almost as bad as when they quote a Royal staff member.😜

20 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Go at 4:30 pm

On the August Oasis sail the DL was open from 4:30 - 8, while on the October one it was from 5-8.

IMO, part of the reason that the DL is seemingly empty on certain sails is due to the traditional dining going from 6 to 5:30 and presently, at least on the Oasis, to 5.  When it was 5:30, we visited the DL for about 15-20 minutes prior to dining.  Even with the old HH we snuck a glass of wine into the MDR each night.