Go or cancel from Rome??

colesc15

Curious for opinions. We fly out to Rome in a few days to board Odyssey for its transatlantic back to Florida. With all the crazy going on and things seemingly escalating every day in the middle east, would you still go? As of right now, we're planning on going but just being a little more cautious. 

Agreed.  Yes, things could easily escalate beyond the current region of conflict, but there's no reason to think that Italy would be in the line of fire anytime soon. That would require a EU/UN level of involvement, which doesn't appear to be on the immediate horizon.

Of course, the unexpected does happen, but I wouldn't say that your risk of flying to Rome is any higher than your risk of flying to Los Angeles.

Go, and enjoy! 🙂 

• Like 3

We are currently in Europe.   A bit west of Rome, currently in France.   No concerns at all and all feels normal.  We will board Symphony on 10/29 in Barcelona for the transatlantic without hesitation.

Joe

• Like 3

Heading out tonight (From Orlando) to fly over to Barcelona for a B2B (ending with the TA) on Symphony. More concerned about the bed bug situation in Europe than the conflict at this point.

You may get to see some really big war ships on the move as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colesc15 said:

Curious for opinions. We fly out to Rome in a few days to board Odyssey for its transatlantic back to Florida. With all the crazy going on and things seemingly escalating every day in the middle east, would you still go? As of right now, we're planning on going but just being a little more cautious. 

I'm curious what Rome has to do with Israel at all. Hell, I am going to Amman next week and I'm not even remotely concerned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 of us going on Enchantment on 10/30.  Rome --> Athens with a Kusadasi stop.   I am Jewish and American.   My husband and his brothers are not.  We are going, but cautious. In Turkey, I don't expect problems, but my husband also offered me one of his "Made in Holland" orange shirts for the day (I said yes) and the guys will just speak Dutch all day 😉   

After a really bad experience in Germany years ago with a protest that was a little too robust, I told them all that if I don't feel right in a port, I'm getting back on the ship.   

I don't expect any problems though.

21 hours ago, colesc15 said:

We’re on this transatlantic also. Flying out the 24th and arriving in Rome on the 25th.  We are confident all will be safe.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

its 1397 miles from Rome to Tel Aviv

its 1041 miles from Rome to Kiev 

Were you worried before?

12 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

This x 100. 

Do people ever look at a map? 

To be fair, it's really not a simple matter of geographical proximity. Comparing this conflict to Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a false equivalence, although I know that situation has loomed large for the UK and Europe for the past year & a half.

As I mentioned earlier, I personally wouldn't cancel my plans, but the reality is that we're looking at a very different geopolitical context in the Middle East. And operating under the (admittedly uncomfirmed) assumption that the OP is American, that puts a much bigger target on his/her back in the context of the Middle East conflict than it does with Russia/Ukraine. Understandably, this might not register quite as much for our friends from across the pond. 🙂 

I'm not necessarily asking anyone to believe me ... feel free to tell yourselves that I don't know what I'm talking about, because for all you know I really don't. 🤭 But for what it's worth: ALL Americans (or Canadians likely to be mistaken for Americans) would be wise to keep a low profile these days, anywhere in the world. Yes, travel--enjoy, go on with your life, but be smart.  

• Like 2

It's 2:45 am  now in Barcelona... a few hours ago...wonderful, happy, and lively crowd were listening to salsa in Placa Catalunya...then amazing fireworks brigthly colored the cool evening sky.

• Like 1

Just now, bonsai3s said:

It's 2:45 am  now in Barcelona... a few hours ago...wonderful, happy, and lively crowd were listening to salsa in Placa Catalunya...then amazing fireworks brigthly colored the cool evening sky.

Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

4 of us going on Enchantment on 10/30.  Rome --> Athens with a Kusadasi stop.   I am Jewish and American.   My husband and his brothers are not.  We are going, but cautious. In Turkey, I don't expect problems, but my husband also offered me one of his "Made in Holland" orange shirts for the day (I said yes) and the guys will just speak Dutch all day 😉   

After a really bad experience in Germany years ago with a protest that was a little too robust, I told them all that if I don't feel right in a port, I'm getting back on the ship.   

I don't expect any problems though.

I am a Jewish American and loved Ephesus.  Also had some tea at a Kusadasi cafe.    We dress in normal Western attire, though.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

To be fair, it's really not a simple matter of geographical proximity. Comparing this conflict to Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a false equivalence, although I know that situation has loomed large for the UK and Europe for the past year & a half.

Random terrorist attacks sadly have taken place in the past (Paris , London, Manchester, Nice, etc) and will happen in the future. That doesn’t make all of Europe any more dangerous right now. We travelled from Ireland to Milan last weekend., visited tourist attractions, went to a super open air food festival attended by thousands of people, went shopping etc and there wasn’t a suggestion of any increased danger. Of course we see what’s happening in the Middle East and it’s heartbreaking but it doesn’t directly impact Europe to the point where I would even contemplate changing travel plans. 

Having recently deployed to Estonia and Romania which is much closer to an active war zone i often find myself having to be a lit more cautious when i visit the US then those places. TBH. Dont get me wrong there are some wonderful safe and amazing people in the places ive been to recently, Florida, vegas, Washington but there is an under current of tension mostly pushed by politics and behaviours over ideology. 

So go and enjoy Europe, enjoy your holiday you will be prefectly safe. 👍

This is my opinion and not a dig or smear aimed at anyone or everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1