Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, Laura.  Looks like the 30+ ft seas we had on our way to Bermuda 20+ years ago. What an exciting journey this must be for those who don’t aren’t prone to seasickness. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

I hope the TikTokers who are on board just to create drama are enjoying that! 

I saw a post that had comments turned off how someone got some backing to pay his way. He promises to make drama and complaining about every little thing. TV channels, you name it . ...I'm hoping he doesnt like this passage and the waves. Give him something real to talk about drama wise.

I love storms myself. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We oohhed and ahhhed at the great service and food we had tonight.  Actually did not even notice the waves outside.  Back into the cabin now...pretty much the same wash machine look outside.  Oh well...will rock me to sleep in a bit.  😉 

We were alone at the Schooner Bar (sitting at the bar) for a while tonight (6:30-7pm) and also the only table in Chops for a time!  The seas have calmed down although it’s still bumpy!

We’re really looking forward to our fantastic itinerary tomorrow!

IMG_0843.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Yeah I suppose I could check it out...but I am really not into the drugs thing, since the first time I was on a cruise ship many years ago, and found out the Dramamine patches made me sick...I don't even try.  Guess I am not much into the meds things...more of a "natural" girl I guess.  

My apple/banana smoothie today...was just the thing for a butterfly tummy.  Perfect.  😉 

Be sure to seek the advice of your doctor.  The patches are contraindicated with some pretty common health conditions, as is dramamine, for those with heart problems.   In other words, don't take meds based on us armchair docs on a cruise forum using similar! 😉 

• Like 8

I’d love to experience the Drake Passage. We’re all a bit jealous.  A bit of ginger ale might help or ginger mints. I hope to someday do it! 

Do you actually step foot on Antarctica or just sale by it? 

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You missed the point. He is a true world cruiser, not just some guy reporting on the UWC.  He planned this deviation.  Anyone is allowed to do that.  Many are leaving the ship overnight, or for two nights, and then rejoining.  It is truly not a big deal.

I know that but Tik Tok and the media seem to be making it a big deal like there is a lots of drama going on other world cruises do not get this level of attention.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Loving hearing about new parts of the world (to me).  Here's the Wikipedia page on Drakes Passage if anyone's interested in learning more. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Passage

Hope there's some Naturalists on board giving talks on the local sea/bird life in the area

Agree. Took my Grand Daughter on 16n Panama Canal Cruise, my first with her and she really enjoys the Talks. Were Lucky and had couple good experienced Enrichment speakers

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Be sure to seek the advice of your doctor.  The patches are contraindicated with some pretty common health conditions, as is dramamine, for those with heart problems.   In other words, don't take meds based on us armchair docs on a cruise forum using similar! 😉 

Thanks...but no need.  I simply don't take it.  We had 30 foot waves on a 25 foot fishing boat while catching Halibut in the straights of Alaska.  I did not get sick...Bucky...was a mess.  But the Halibut I caught and Bucky decided to give a kiss to...was delicious and fed us the whole 2 weeks at the cabin in Homer. 😉 

20200817_143843.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’d love to experience the Drake Passage. We’re all a bit jealous.  A bit of ginger ale might help or ginger mints. I hope to someday do it! 

No, we don't go that far south.  We are simply on the outskirts of Antarctica cruising around the ice shelves.  No where to land.  

I detest Ginger or Ginger Ale...but my apple/banana smoothie was perfect!  😉 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I know that but Tik Tok and the media seem to be making it a big deal like there is a lots of drama going on other world cruises do not get this level of attention.

Well, we are the 'ultimate' WC

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Position update and weather:

Seas calmed down dramatically overnight.  Just light swells right now.  Temp at 32 degrees.  I just came in from fetching our morning coffee, was happy to see deck 12 open again, and stepped out to catch some snowflakes!  Living in Florida I don't see that much any longer.  😉  Umm......sorry Dave...bet you don't want to hear about snow right now.  😄 

We are just approaching the Gerlache Strait and will enter the channel on time at 9 am.  Should be some pretty cool sights with the iceberg and hopefully some wildlife.  

Was out on the balcony and first thought was "Oh man...garbage floating by"....nope already small chunk of ice.  

Current position, and though not a great picture (too far away) but our first iceberg sighting!  

20240112_054156.jpg

20240112_054125.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, doghog said:

I'll trade places with you. Just came in from clearing more snow. Good news is the sun just came out and the high for today is going to be a balmy 32 degrees. Time to break out the shorts and grab a beer. I will be grilling steaks tonight.  

When we lived up north on Long Island we routinely shoveled a path to the grill in winter 😁 

where do you live?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Aloha. Enjoying these posts. We have been blessed to sail the world since the 1970s. The Drake Passage is definitely an exciting ride lol. With the Bay of Biscay, South Pacific, TransPacific and TransAtlantic, they are memorable voyages. Enjoy!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah I suppose I could check it out...but I am really not into the drugs thing, since the first time I was on a cruise ship many years ago, and found out the Dramamine patches made me sick...I don't even try.  Guess I am not much into the meds things...more of a "natural" girl I guess.  

My apple/banana smoothie today...was just the thing for a butterfly tummy.  Perfect.  😉 

I can’t take patches either, they made me blurry and closed my throat and I couldn’t swallow, so I tried Bonine if I felt the seas were rocky, but it  made me too tired. So I stopped everything and oddly the seas don’t bother either of us and even though Bob gets motion sick on amusement park rides, he’s ok on a ship.
 But I always carry Ginger essential oil and if I feel queasy at all, even if it’s from too much food, I dab it behind my ears and on my wrists.   It doesn’t smell at all like the ginger we’re used to, but it does help a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Down to Chops for breakfast at 8 am...starting seeing more icebergs.  Anxious to get back to the cabin to don our "Polar gear" to go out for a look see.  🙂 🥶

20240112_061633.jpg

20240112_063557.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Checked out decks 12 and 5 outside decks, but just got too crazy with people grabbing all the room on the railings...so we opted to go back up to our cabin for views.   Happy we did!  A few real "growlers".  

20240112_071757.jpg

20240112_071902.jpg

20240112_073305.jpg

20240112_074156.jpg

20240112_074209.jpg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Stunning!  Must be amazing for the crew too - some of whom probably haven’t seen snow, let alone ice-bergs.

Was pretty cute to see so many crew members indeed popping out with their phone cameras on all the decks.  Happy they had a chance to do so!  🙂 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

Patricia, thank you for for the photos! It’s -20 F here today, but Antarctica seems so much more exotic. And you have icebergs!

LOL...OK, you win on the cold weather!!   Brrrrrr.....🥶

• Haha 1