Theft around the ship?

zitsky

I have no idea how much a problem theft is - probably not much.  But I wouldn't leave my phone or Kindle or iPad on a pool chair while I stepped away for some reason.  I don't worry about my flip-flops or sunscreen, but I won't take chances with items of value.  

• Like 4

I think most people on Celebrity are perfectly honest. There is also excellent camera surveillance which I am sure must be a deterrent for anyone less than honest…

I did once leave a pair of reading glasses in OV and went to the desk to see if they had been handed in and the size of box they brought out with assorted glasses in was massive! Obviously a lot of us are a little less than careful with our property on board. I feel very different about beaches…

• Like 1

Never an issue...but I don't take valuables to the pool deck, etc...other than some cash in my pocket and maybe some shades...Wife has a beach bag with stuff...never has worried about it.  

What's a used Kindle worth anyways?  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 2

We have never had any issues but have anything we bring in my wife's tote bag on top of the lounge chair while we step away for a few minutes. We're never gone for more than 5 mins to get a drink from the bar, what with less servers than in days of yore. 

• Like 1

I have multiple Kindle paperwhites, but they are all old.  That's because the original Kindle and up to the 6th Gen had two word games that my sister and i played incessantly.  But when they upgraded the OS for Gen 7 they didn't upgrade the games, so they won't play on newer ones.  We read a lot, too, but those games don't suck up your attention that you tune out your surroundings.  My cases were really worn, so I got a new one, and in particular one that says Kindle on the front, so noone would mistake it for a tablet.  My sister once left hers in a cafe onboard on another line, and it was turned in.  EM

We never had a problem even though we leave a Celebrity beach bag on our chairs in the Solarium.

Usually we have something from the Spa Cafe, but, if we are leaving the area we give up the lounges.

The only theft we heard about was when we were walking through the Silent Disco area a man was looking for his camera that he left on a table nearby that apparently someone wanted.

54 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I think most people on Celebrity are perfectly honest. There is also excellent camera surveillance which I am sure must be a deterrent for anyone less than honest…

I did once leave a pair of reading glasses in OV and went to the desk to see if they had been handed in and the size of box they brought out with assorted glasses in was massive! Obviously a lot of us are a little less than careful with our property on board. I feel very different about beaches…

I wouldn't make that assumption that most people on Celebrity are perfectly honest.  My DH unfortunately left his credit card in the onboard bank machine on the Apex this summer on a Baltic cruise.  The card was never turned in.  Luckily he realized he'd left it and froze his card.  A ship's population is just like any other; saints, scoundrels and those in between.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have never had a problem and I always question whether I should leave valuables anywhere - including bags on a poolside chair - and I choose not to do it because on the off-chance something happened, I don't want to have to deal with reporting a lost/stolen item and then being stressed/angry about it for the rest of the cruise. Yes, I am weird this way. I'd rather avoid the problem. 

• Like 4

Badic common sense on things you lrave out or alone is best idea.  Of course badic common sense is needed.  Like others never a problem in my 20 cruises but i do not leave my phone/kindle etc unattended. Ill leave a bag eith suntan lotion and towels etc unattended  

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Yes, Guest Relations' assortment of reading glasses is impressive.  I left mine on the table in Luminae one night.  Went down to see if they had been turned in--there they were in this large box FULL of reading glasses!

• Like 1

on the ship we are cautious...always! 

Labadee had an issue w  a stolen cell phone at the  beach area when we  were there yrs ago.  They closed the exit for awhile.  A band member turned himself in.. phone was recovered..

On Royal C our son law had his new camera stolen on Oasis while playing a party game.  He put it down and it disappeared .  He and my dtr were treated like they were the thieves while their room was searched (consensually) by security before they would take a report.. Very bad .... considering  he was cop and she an atty.  Hope we never have to make such a report!

1)  You would have to imagine if you're a thief, you're not going to steal a Kindle

2)  You should put anything with a screen under a towel to prevent direct sunlight from destroying it (I accidentally killed an iPhone in under an hour by leaving it out).

3)  The ship has cameras almost everywhere including the lido deck

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Labadee had an issue w  a stolen cell phone at the  beach area when we  were there yrs ago.  They closed the exit for awhile.  A band member turned himself in.. phone was recovered..

On Royal C our son law had his new camera stolen on Oasis while playing a party game.  He put it down and it disappeared .  He and my dtr were treated like they were the thieves while their room was searched (consensually) by security before they would take a report.. Very bad .... considering  he was cop and she an atty.  Hope we never have to make such a report!

If I had something stolen, I'd have no problem with security searching my room to validate I didn't misremember

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

A number of years ago a group of us were on a cruise.  2nd day 1 of the group phone was missing.  1st thing security did was search his cabin, seems that frequently peopke misplacecitems in the cabin.  Phone was not there and our friend was sure that the cabin attendant had taken it and was quite vocal about it to anyone and everyone.  
Fast forward a week he returned home still convinced the cabin attendant had his phone.

He found his phone sitting con his desk where he had left it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If I had something stolen, I'd have no problem with security searching my room to validate I didn't misremember

yes , they have to exclude false claims but the derisive tone and accusations  from the "wannabee" cops were over the line and  offensive!

this item was swiped at an active event by someone who was there!

the true lesson learned is save your  photos to a cloud!

Edited by hcat

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

yes , they have to exclude false claims but the derisive tone and accusations  from the "wannabee" cops were over the line and  offensive!

Agree that only real cops should be allowed to use derisive tone and accusations! 🤣

Seriously though, in 30+ cruises, we've recovered everything we've ever lost onboard cruise ships of all lines: iPhones, electronics, high end sunglasses, hats, full backpacks, etc. The only thing we've ever actually been separated from was a stainless steel straw on Carnival (which only offers horrific candy straws instead of plastic or biodegradable options). Left it in a blender drink at a bar, and it vanished into the bowels of the galley, never to be seen again. 

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

We never had a problem even though we leave a Celebrity beach bag on our chairs in the Solarium.

Usually we have something from the Spa Cafe, but, if we are leaving the area we give up the lounges.

The only theft we heard about was when we were walking through the Silent Disco area a man was looking for his camera that he left on a table nearby that apparently someone wanted.

Being on a ship is like living in a small city; you still have thieves onboard. I once had some sunscreen taken from my lounger and an expensive pair of sunglasses that were in their pouch sitting on my book from the lounger. I now take a cheap pair to wear in the pool and on deck.  Just because one can afford to cruise does not mean they are honest.

• Like 4

I enjoy swimming, so I do leave my phone on a chair when I go in the water, but it is under a towel so not obvious, and I also have a cheap-o Android phone so thieves are not exactly chomping at the bit to take it!  

With the cameras around the ships watching our every move I assume if someone did want to take my phone security could track it down.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is theft much of a problem on Celebrity?  If say you hide your locked Kindle under a towel at the pool for 15 minutes?

Knock on wood, I've never had anything stolen from me on a cruise ship on any cruise line (including Celebrity).  I've LOST a few things, but those don't count.

I find the usual big city precautions work well for me.