The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, January 7th, 2024

kazu

Today is Harlem Globetrotters Day, I Am a Mentor Day, and I’m Not Going to Take It Anymore Day

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out. - Anton Chekhov

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Drink of the Day - Presbyterian
Wine of the Day - Melville 2021 Estate Syrah (Sta. Rita Hills)
Destination of the Day - La Goulette (Tunis), Tunisia

Today in History:
1610 Galileo Galilei discovers the first three moons of Jupiter: Io, Europa & Ganymede
1714 Typewriter patented by Englishman Henry Mill (built years later)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras eta 01-08

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 01-08

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Oosterdam

San Antonio, Chile 7:00-18:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-08

Volendam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-09

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 01-08

Zuiderdam

Scarborough, Tobago 08:00 - 17:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Kangaroo Island, Penneshaw, South Australia eta 01-09

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Manila, Luzon Island Philippines eta 01-09

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Summer slope awaiting skin biopsy results

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Passing of Norseh2o’s DM Ruth on 1/4/2024

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd to start radiation 1/8 for elevated PSA/prostate cancer

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

1Angelcat’s friend Debbi battling dementia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Kochleffel(Paul)!

Marshhawk’s DH responding to Keytruda

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, on CPAP 

57redbird released by her neurosurgeon after surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam Jan 14 to Feb 4) 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer

Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Kochleffel(Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9) 156d World Voyage 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good morning friends!  Weather here is 40F and partly cloudy.  It will be a wintry 49 for a high today.  I just heard a tornado went through downtown Ft. Lauderdale yesterday at about 6 pm so I hope there is no damage.  Any reports from people here on Cruise Critic?

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for your posting of the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich.  Today we can enjoy celebrating the Harlem Globetrotters, being or having a mentor, and I'm Not Going to Take It Anymore Day!  I've always enjoyed the antics and skill of the Globetrotters.  Mentors help to teach and inspire others and I feel like I am doing that for my eldest DGD as she moves into her adult life.  And not taking it anymore means we have decided to empower ourselves.  Hurray for all of us!  I wish the quote today was true but I don't think so personally.  The meal today will need something else as an accompaniment in my opinion.  No thanks to the cocktail and wine.  Nice day for Galileo and Mr. Henry Mill who patented the typewriter which we still use today and couldn't do without.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your great reports each day.

Prayers will be said by me for my DB, youngest DGD, and friends in need.  Also Israel and Ukraine as they continue to fight for their countries, the hostages still held and the troops in harm's way.  Prayers also for my friends here in need of them and for @Norseh2o after the loss of their DM. 🙏 Hoping for better news from Vanessa @JazzyV.  I also would like to celebrate those on the Celebration list and all who are sailing or planning to board their cruises soon. 🚢 Bon Voyage to Paul @kochleffel!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the updated lists each day!❤️

The port this morning is La Goulette, Tunis, Tunisia.  I may or may not be there on Dec. 7, 2024.  It's still booked but not as exciting without Haifa and Ashdod on the itinerary.  That was the reason we booked it.  Anyway we've had that port here before three times.  October 25, 2021, July 11, 2022 and May 16, 2023.  Here are the links for you.

Safe travels for all of you here.  Also for my DDIL and DGS Ren as they head "home" to Frisco after their wonderful Christmas holiday and Cozumel vacation.  Elder DGS flew back to L.A. last night to return to college.  I hope the weather in the northeast isn't affecting Dailyites' travel plans.  Be safe and stay well!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is 36°F and partly cloudy here.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

Today is my late mam and dad's 74th Wedding anniversary.

Food sounds good.

We have been to today's port in 2004.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240107_114309.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.

Thanks for the Report. 

Cold and cloudy here today, not much on the agenda.  I guess I'll watch some football this afternoon.

Good days to celebrate.  I enjoyed watching the Harlem Globetrotters, very talented people.  Mentors are wonderful.  I'm not sure what I'm not going to take anymore, but it's a good feeling to know I have the power.

I like the quote.

I've used the slow cooker to keep mashed potatoes hot at a buffet, but didn't cook them in it, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink or wine, but I could be persuaded to try them.

I've never been to Tunisia, but it is on one cruise we're thinking of taking but haven't booked yet.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27

Posted (edited)

Good morning. Up extra early today as our clocks fell back on the way to Roatan.  Sunrise is unremarkable but it is a lovely 81 degrees. Thanks for the Daily reports each day, @kazu  @rafinmd  @JazzyV @cat shepard  @summer slope and @dfish.  

Prayers for everyone on our care list and those in war zones, Ukraine, the Innocents in Gaza and the remaining hostages.  @Norseh2o deepest sympathy for you and your family.  

Today is working out, more football and Pinnacle Grill tonight.  We are getting a complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinner later in the week because John got wet from above when sitting on the balcony very early one day.  The cleaners cleaning the Seaview pool let the running hose hang over the edge, right down onto our balcony.  Room service was terrific last night. Have a lovely Sunday. Nancy 

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_20240106_174440366.jpg

IMG_20240106_174506133.jpg

IMG_20240106_180333716.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 29

I debated whether or not to continue the travelogue after leaving Antarctica yesterday but decided I would do just one more day.  After this report we would have spent time in Montevideo, and departed the ship in Buenos Aires with a tour that day and being dropped off at the airport.  So this report will be the last.  

At sea from South Georgia Island to Montevideo, Uruguay Jan. 7-8, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

This will be an update on our progress towards Montevideo, Uruguay upon leaving South Georgia Island to stay ahead of a storm.  At first on the afternoon of the 6th the weather was sunny and nice with fairly calm seas.  But soon the waves grew, the wind howled and for about 36 hours we tossed and turned, rolling and pitching.  This lasted through the night and the entire day of Jan. 7th.  The 8th turned sunny with the temperature rising to 55 to 60 degrees so many people went outdoors to bird watch on the 8th.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

See the bird at the top?

We did what we usually do to stay busy.  I read and cross stitched with my friends.  DH went to a lecture and read his book, and of course we ate and drank which is what all good cruisers do.

We ate dinner in our cabin .  It seems many people decided to do so because there were two playoff games on TV on the 7th, Texas-Raiders and Seahawks-Detroit.  The next photo is the Card Room where snacks and drinks were set up for anyone who wanted to watch the football games somewhere other than in their suites.  As you can see watching TV in your suite wasn’t all that much of a hardship because we saw only two people in here when we walked by.   The TV was bigger in the Card Room, but you can’t stretch out in your PJs can you?

Here is our dinner one night at The Grill by Thomas Keller.  That is a specialty restaurant with no extra charge.  The most difficult part is getting a reservation as often as you'd like.  It's very popular and they would like to be able to serve each and every guest at least once on their cruise.  

I believe I ordered a Caesar salad which is prepared there in the dining room.  DH asked for the crab cake as his appetizer.

I have no idea what type of soup DH ordered but I order the jumbo prawns.  They were so large you had to use a knife and fork to eat them.

I ordered the Lobster Thermidor and DH asked for the filet mignon.  Looks delicious!

Turn your head Debbie @dfish!  It's carrots! 😐

And we shared this huge piece of chocolate cake.  Yum!  They must have felt sorry for DH since he didn't order his own dessert so they brought us 2 chocolate cookies, too.

After dinner we told our stewardess Michelle to forget the turndown.  She insisted on changing our wall clock back one hour and we exchanged towels with her.  That’s all.  She joked with us that we were too neat and there was nothing to do so I’m sure she didn’t find a huge mess in our suite the next morning.😇

We were given back our passports and noted a cool stamp from South Georgia Island to go with the Chilean naval base stamp from Antarctica.  Very exciting!  Next stop is Montevideo, Uruguay.  Unfortunately our cruise is rapidly coming to an end.  Where did the 24 days go?🤷‍♀️

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie.  Happy Sunday.  Bon Voyage @kochleffel.

I haven't seen the Globetrotters in years.  I like the quote.

I am a terrible typist but even with the typos the results are a lot better than with my handwriting.  A great day in Astronomy.  I think it's also the 82 Anniversary of the Day that will live in Infamy.

I have not been to Tunis.

The meal sounds like a nice side dish.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Broiled New York Striploin and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 7, 2019:

dishes07.jpg

Roy

• Like 29

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Jacqui. Roy thank you for the maps! It is 14 degrees cooler this morning & it rained overnight. It is still very cloudy and dark here. 

Vanessa, thank you for doing all you do in spite of the pain you are suffering. I am praying that you get permanent relief from the pain - soon. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores will keep me busy. 

IMG_2341.jpeg.96ed7891a99640b64f1d61669abb0f27.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg.fbf603e8d4b49be773e79721690de45a.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg.19c1e2749cf683528a5f209f48ff0183.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain & conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one. @Norseh2o I was sorry to read that your Mom passed. I hope wonderful memories help ease your pain.
Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Three cheers for mentors!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Melville 2021 Estate Syrah (Sta. Rita Hills)

This California Syrah sounds interesting and it certainly has quite a few fans. I would love a taste. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $34.95.

Winemaker Notes

As the 2019 Estate Syrah begins to fill the glass with its signature dark violet color, one can’t help but to get excited. Instantly upon pouring, the aromatics begin to overflow and escape the glass, giving you a sneak peek of what’s to come. Fresh herbs and lavender fill the glass then give way to grilled meat and fresh, roasted cracked pepper. On the palate, the adventure begins with roasted blackberries, in season black plums, and cherry juice. A near perfect balance of silky tannins, juiciness, and velvet-like texture together create a symphony of flavor.

95Wine & Spirits

Chad Melville’s estate-grown syrah leans on the Estrella River clone, a selection that’s late to bloom and late to ripen—it is typically harvested in November, the whole clusters submitted to a cold soak, native fermentation, and aging in neutral barrels. It’s low-intervention winemaking with a stunning result: The wildly exotic aromatics bring lavender, violets, plum, smoked tea, olive and, above all, pepper—like walking under a pepper tree on a warm afternoon as the fruit nears peak ripeness. The flavors are exotic, lush and herbal at once, delivered with a creamy midpalate and fine leafy tannins, elegant and long. It’s drinking beautifully now and would be a wonder to follow as it ages.

93Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Syrah Estate has a medium ruby-purple color and is bursting with blackberry jam and blueberry aromas with broody tones of cast iron, chargrill, aniseed and dried herbs. The palate is lovely, with a balance of bright berry accents of savory, earthy tones. It has an abundance of finely grained tannins, notable freshness and lift, and a long, herbal finish.

92Jeb Dunnuck

The 2019 Syrah Estate Sta. Rita Hills always seems to deliver. Revealing a ruby/plum color as well as peppery notes of red and black fruits, tapenade, and gamey meats, it's medium-bodied and has a supple, elegant texture, nicely integrated acidity, and a great finish.

92James Suckling

Aromas and flavors of strawberries, together with cloves, black pepper and dried flowers. Yet, it’s transparent and crisp. Medium body with a pretty texture and a fruity finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Back in the ‘50’s my future DH took me to the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto for a Globtroters game.   Unfortunately as a teenager I had a 10:00pm curfew..  Therefore we only saw the pre Globe game.  Never saw the star team.   In those days for 50c you could stand in the “gods” at the Gardens.  

• Like 22

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I was up a little earlier than planned thanks to Mona and a loud crash that turned out to be a snowplow.  It is snowing this morning and what is on the ground is wet and heavy, I think it must be shoveled since the snowblower doesn’t handle slush all that well.  
I’m curious about making mashed potatoes in a slow cooker, not sure why they would be made that way.

I saw the report on the tornado in Fort Lauderdale last night and this morning’s report is that no one was hurt and some boats were damaged.  The news promised a live report and I haven’t seen that yet.

I was glad to be first in line at the dealership yesterday.  I managed to get everything done by 10.  The line of cars needing service grew long and wait times even longer.

I hope everyone has a good day.  I’m heading out to start clearing the driveway.

image.thumb.png.28226cbba338d1dca0cdba656387e5ac.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

I like mashed potatoes no matter how they are cooked. 

Today will be snow cleanup. Wishing for spring as I anticipate getting my vegetable garden up and running. Fancy did not appreciate the storm yesterday and had we not pushed her along outside she would not have done her business. She is anti-precipitation of any kind. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.1b02d727fe06a66b3546586166be3db9.png

• Like 24

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jac

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1