What new shows would you like to see on Royal

So if you could pick any kind of show to replace the main theatre shows such as CATs and Mamma Mia what shows or type of music would you like to see.

For me having just watched it again, id love to see the film the Greatest showman as a theatre production. Make it look like a stage, great costumes and the songs are fantastic. Really gets the audience foot tapping and singing along. 

I am sure Royals fantastic theatre company can do it. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So if you could pick any kind of show to replace the main theatre shows such as CATs and Mamma Mia what shows or type of music would you like to see.

For me having just watched it again, id love to see the film the Greatest showman as a theatre production. Make it look like a stage, great costumes and the songs are fantastic. Really gets the audience foot tapping and singing along. 

I am sure Royals fantastic theatre company can do it. 

They will not do Broadway again - they are too cheap now - using their own made up shows...

• Like 3

Literally anything that is an actual show outside of the cruise industry except Cats.

All of their in-house stuff as well as celebrity's is mediocre at best (same production company/writing/etc, presumably) and I hate the usage of 4 singers + 8-10 dancers instead of maybe 10-12 people that can sing AND dance.  The band and vocal backing tracks are atrocious and annoying.  

Not a huge fan of WWRY but I felt it was far better than any of the new edge class production shows due to a fully live band as far as I could tell and a full cast that can sing and dance.

45 minutes is not enough for an evening show, if it were up to me they would return the full 2-act shows instead of the cheap feeling 90 minute vegas cuts.  

We're tring NCL next year due to the fact they have beetlejuice on the Viva - 90 minutes I am sure but I bet it will be 1000% better than any production show I've seen on RCL/X in recent memory save mamma mia perhaps.

I loved all of the Broadway shows except CATS, that definitely needs to go, imo. Chicago was one of my faves. The entertainment is what has made me loyal to Royal, especially the aqua & skating shows, but they aren't on every ship. I cruise next week on the Grandeur for the itinerary and I'm really worried that I won't like it after being on so many larger, action packed ships.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If I was cruising I would like to see a production of HAIR

They were going to do it on Symphony! But then when the entertainment guru's Googled HAIR it autocompleted Hairspray. 🙂

((for those who take everything I say 100% literally, this was bad dad humor joke.. my kids loved it))

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, bren61 said:

I loved all of the Broadway shows except CATS, that definitely needs to go, imo. Chicago was one of my faves. The entertainment is what has made me loyal to Royal, especially the aqua & skating shows, but they aren't on every ship. I cruise next week on the Grandeur for the itinerary and I'm really worried that I won't like it after being on so many larger, action packed ships.

We went from the larger ships and onto brilliance for the itinerary and TBH hated the shows. They were not for us. But the cruise was worth it simply due to the places we stopped in Croatia and Greece. 

On 1/15/2024 at 2:54 PM, bren61 said:

The Broadway shows on most Oasis ships are very good entertainment for a cruise line. I will say grudgingly Cats is well done, just not a show for me. Unfortunately, no Broadway production on Wonder and the difference in quality was noticeable.

But on the smaller ships, it all starts to look and sound very high school drama club. No thanks.

• Like 1

I wish they would drop the shows or at least the vocalists and put something with dance only like Stomp or Riverdance.  Look how popular the ice shows and the Aquatheater is.  Even having movie nights inside or more audience participating nights shows would be much more fun then watching Whitney Houston wannabes screeching.

• Like 2

@bonsai3s Jersey Boys was on Anthem and was outstanding, but was not a show in the Broadway sense, but rather a singing show / performance. Ryan Molloy, British actor, was extremely entertaining. Not sure if that is what you were thinking of....

The Broadway type show we enjoyed the most on a Royal ship was Saturday Night Fever. I don't know if it was just our luck as to the specific performers on board (Liberty) at the time, but the dancing in particular was fantastic. 

Most other Broadway-type shows on the ships have not held our interest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mets07 said:

@bonsai3s Jersey Boys was on Anthem and was outstanding, but was not a show in the Broadway sense, but rather a singing show / performance. Ryan Molloy, British actor, was extremely entertaining. Not sure if that is what you were thinking of....

The Broadway type show we enjoyed the most on a Royal ship was Saturday Night Fever. I don't know if it was just our luck as to the specific performers on board (Liberty) at the time, but the dancing in particular was fantastic. 

Most other Broadway-type shows on the ships have not held our interest.

Yes! that's the one! Thanks.

Also enjoyed Saturday Night Fever, on the Liberty, out of Galveston. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Royal has decided to put their budget into technology rather than paying for the rights to musicals. It's a curious decision, and I wonder how long they will stay with it. I assume it saves them a large chunk of change in the long run.

If Royal really wants to branch out and go crazy though, instead of a musical they should get Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for Star of the Seas. Huge name recognition you can market; and strong draw for the family age range they are designing Icon class ships around. I don't know if they could cut the cast size down enough to make it plausible, or would be willing to pay for rights. That would be a pretty big swing though, so probably unlikely Royal goes for it.

• Like 1

Hi,

I suppose Titanic the Musical might not go down very well (excuse the pun!)

On a serious note, I think any show that will fit into the hourish range without needing to be too truncated in order to do so might an idea.

The theatre should be a place for the whole family to go and enjoy so something that both kids and adult can enjoy. Something with great songs and a little story to combine them.

The Jersey Boys, Grease, Mamma Mia or The Greatest Showman would be good. I know some ships already have some of these.

We Will Rock was Ok, but went on for nearly 2 hours.

Mick.

• Like 1