What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

At first, I was going to disagree with you - after all, what could be LESS controversial than the weather?  Then I thought of two of my least favorite phrases of the past two decades - "global warming" and "climate change".  Both of those have become co-opted by various movements such that they've become political.

So many symbols, things, and words have become politically charged these days.  I find it a little sad and frustrating.

Not to put too fine a point on it, weather and climate are different. 

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No to politics.  I will discuss public sector topics as an exchange of ideas.  I mean true topics not controversies.  Things like who manages and distributes utilities in your area, new materials for roads, permit laws, etc…. Very mundane stuff to perhaps take home ideas to my own city council. Wars, elections and drama are not included 

May we discuss why one particular state in in neither of the two National power grids? 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I read ebooks at home and on the ship. I have lots of e books and can borrow directly from my local library on my Kobo E book reader. I used to also read paper books that I got from the ship’s library. Loved discovering something new that way. Unfortunately the mainstream cruises seem to have stopped stocking libraries. Sometimes when someone sees me reading on the Kobo they brag they only read paper books! Sort of like the folks who only use flip phones! But often they ask me what I am reading. That can be a good conversation whether reading paper or ebooks. A book is a book whether on paper or e-ink. 

I only read print books. No a brag, just a fact. I used an e-reader a couple times and just didn’t like it, it didn’t fit my reading style and I sometimes “fat fingered” it. 
DD claims it is because I’m a Luddite. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I only read print books. No a brag, just a fact. I used an e-reader a couple times and just didn’t like it, it didn’t fit my reading style and I sometimes “fat fingered” it. 
DD claims it is because I’m a Luddite. 

I don’t think it matters if one reads print books or electronic books. It is the same thing. The important thing is reading books. I know so many who don’t read books. I know several people who only do audiobooks. I can’t get into that. I tried a few and I had to go back read the books. I can’t really immerse the book with the audio version. The ereader pages look and read just like the printed pages. E-readers have improved. The print is sharp on mine. When traveling it is really handy. I don’t have to lug a bunch of books. I have a iPad too that I bring and it is great for short news articles and videos but my eyes get tired reading a book on the iPad. That is why I got the ereader. It is great for reading fiction and non fiction for hours. But I would never tell people they should switch to a e-reader.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Yes 100%.  The point might still apply.  These days mention of any adverse weather and someone will shout climate change. 

4 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

May we discuss why one particular state in in neither of the two National power grids? 😉

That would be an interesting discussion from my point of view.  Those types of issues are part of the great experiment in civil governance 

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think it matters if one reads print books or electronic books. It is the same thing. The important thing is reading books. 

Yes!

I read both - print books at home and e-books when travelling. I don't want to have to pay the excess baggage on the extra suitcase(s) of books, even paperbacks,  nor have to struggle with a heavy suitcase - when flying internationally. I can easily read a book a day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Printed vs ebooks seems to be a hotter topic than politics!  😄

Only because it does seem that the discussion of politics is pretty much not happening.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Printed vs ebooks seems to be a hotter topic than politics!  😄

Well, to add to this... I only LISTEN to audio books.  I don't read ebooks or real books. If not available in audio, then I won't be "reading" it.

Reading aside, no politics, religion, or climate change because climate change has become political.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Politics shouldn't be discussed on vacation.  I agree, no politics or religion.  This is a vacation.  Enjoy your time meeting new people 

If a person is running for office and meeting new people while on vacation is that politics?

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Politics shouldn't be discussed on vacation.  I agree, no politics or religion.  This is a vacation.  Enjoy your time meeting new people 

Politics and religion could be discussed on vacation but should not be discussed at the MDR because there is no escape. Not easy to get up and leave. In a lounge or bar if it is a friendly discussion I would find it possible but don’t try to convert me. I will ignore or walk away. In the MDR we are generally trapped so that is a no, no.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If a person is running for office and meeting new people while on vacation is that politics?

Yes.  They shouldn’t mention it.  So many non controversial things to talk about

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 1/30/2024 at 3:43 PM, George C said:

We cruised Europe in 2016 we were kidding the several Canadians on the cruise that we would be moving to Canada if our candidate lost , she did but we stayed in Texas 😁 anyway. We normally get a table for two anyway.

I'm still waiting for the insufferable 'celebrities' who promised to leave the US in the wake of the 2016 election to just leave already.  Speaking of Texas, I would be delighted to have that conversation with a Texan but I'll avoid embarrassing DH and stick with the weather and things to do in port. 😇

38 minutes ago, CunucuMom said:

I'm still waiting for the insufferable 'celebrities' who promised to leave the US in the wake of the 2016 election to just leave already.  Speaking of Texas, I would be delighted to have that conversation with a Texan but I'll avoid embarrassing DH and stick with the weather and things to do in port. 😇

I'm quite grateful they didn't come to Canada. 

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2024 at 11:29 PM, ldubs said:

I think e-readers are more like $, than $$$. 😀   

Seems very odd that this happens to you a lot.  I am happy to say I've never had a nose twitched at me on a cruise ship -- at least that I've noticed! 

I read at the bar alot and travel solo.  I think most solos experience  unsolicited comments  

On 1/31/2024 at 11:24 PM, Charles4515 said:

When people see me reading with the Kobo they know I am reading a book. A Kobo has an e-ink screen. It is basically a Kindle but not from Amazon. I can borrow books directly from my local library so I prefer it over Kindles. A lot of people have e-ink readers, mostly Kindles in the US so they know I am reading a book. I don’t know about Kindle but my Kobo does not do emails. Another feature for me is that I can adjust the font size. These days I find it difficult to read paperbacks. The print is too small.  I can read the print in hardbacks but I don’t want to lug around hardcovers when traveling. Also usually on a cruise I read a book every day or two. So the ebook reader works better for my reading habits than packing paper books. 

Since I have never heard of a Kobo, I would doubt that.  Unless the backside of your device is showing a copy of a book cover, how would anyone know what is on your screen unless they are looking over your shoulder?  Any Dean Koontz fan would recognize someone holding one, providing an opening for "Good story?" 

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Since I have never heard of a Kobo, I would doubt that.  Unless the backside of your device is showing a copy of a book cover, how would anyone know what is on your screen unless they are looking over your shoulder?  Any Dean Koontz fan would recognize someone holding one, providing an opening for "Good story?" 

As a non  ebook reader I usually can recognise if someone is using an ebook. The devices I have noticed are thinner than your average tablet but most of all people hold them differently probably because they use them so differently and aren't scrolling or typing as you would on a tablet. 

43 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

E-readers have a distinct look. The screens are black and white. They look like a printed page. No you can’t tell what book I am reading but people know I am reading a book. The one I have is in the link but there are less expensive models. I like this model because it is waterproof and has buttons that can be used to turn the pages. I do have the slipcover which is extra. It is small. It fits in jacket pockets. 

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-libra-2?variant=39523827417158

Edited by Charles4515

Since there is all this talk about books, I just finished this morning Hero by Thomas Perry, a very good read by a very good author. And I am now read The Spider by Lars Kepler, an even better read.

My companion and I don't even discuss politics at home, since we're on opposite "sides".  I can't imagine what would happen if someone started talking politics at the MDR table.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:21 AM, ldubs said:

These days mention of any adverse weather and someone will shout climate change. 

Maybe because of where I live no one shouts climate change. Probably because we're almost all in agreement. In group travel I'd be careful, try to test the waters in some careful way. If safe it can be an interesting topic.