Noise levels in venues

Britter16

5 hours ago, dns65 said:

We're pretty much done sailing with Royal class.  We loved the older ships, new ships came out with numerous not so good things like smaller balconies and rooms and that awful noisy piazza.  Last trip on Enchanted, Sabatini's was a horrible experience with all that intrusive noise while you are trying to enjoy a nice dinner.    We're sticking to the older ships

Someone posted that they were well aware of the problem and were going to install a sound barrier sometime in the future.

I'm waiting....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Someone posted that they were well aware of the problem and were going to install a sound barrier sometime in the future.

I'm waiting....

I think it will become worse on the Sun and Star with all those sphere shaped glass panels reflecting sound back into the Piazza. One more reason we'll never sail that class ship.

Edited by mtnesterz

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

I think it will become worse on the Sun and Star with all those sphere shaped glass panels reflecting sound back into the Piazza. One more reason we'll never sail that class ship.

Someday we'll sail on them for sure but as on the other ships just avoid the noisy areas as much as possible. It should be interesting to see if the design has been taken into account. 

Truly quiet places onboard can be hard to find. Never understood the need for canned background music even at low volume in venues during the day when they do not have activities going or even a bar open. But that's just me. On ships with Skywalkers it seems a contradiction  that the nightclub is the quiet place during the day.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Truly quiet places onboard can be hard to find. Never understood the need for canned background music even at low volume in venues during the day when they do not have activities going or even a bar open. But that's just me. On ships with Skywalkers it seems a contradiction  that the nightclub is the quiet place during the day.

On ships so equipped, Take 5 is a great alternative to Skywalkers. It's pretty much dead during the day, save for the occasional quiet seminar, and less frequently, a silly loud game show. Other than that, it is a great place to have total peace and quiet.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

On ships so equipped, Take 5 is a great alternative to Skywalkers. It's pretty much dead during the day, save for the occasional quiet seminar, and less frequently, a silly loud game show. Other than that, it is a great place to have total peace and quiet.

I used Take 5 for a Zoom meeting one time. Great location with hardly any background noise. 

• Like 1

There are posts on both sides of this discussion, though the majority feel it is too loud. I would say that if you are in the Theater, you should not expect to be able to converse; Crooners is borderline and I accept that the piano player is there to entertain, but you should be able to converse in a bar; other areas in the Piazza, unrelated to the event, Alfredo's, Sushi restaurant etc. should NOT be drowned out by other events!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I would say that if you are in the Theater, you should not expect to be able to converse;

I could accept that but at the same time I shouldn't have to wear my earplugs to enjoy the show.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, rosevew said:

We were on Sapphire recently and, at times, you couldn't hold a conversation in Alfredo's, Vines or Good Spirits.

Then why bother to spend any $ at any of those places that are uncomfortable?  I'm on the Island Princess now and it is such a radical difference from the larger ships that SWMBO will have to put up a good argument to sail on anything but the Island or Coral again.  I truly enjoy being able to meet and chat with other passengers in just about any venue without having to shout at somebody sitting next to me on a barstool at GS.

The noise levels are truly out of control, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on (or perhaps I'm just getting older and crankier.).

With so many of the bars and restaurants open to the Piazza, there are very few ways to escape the noise.  The only place we find it possible to have a decent conversation while enjoying a drink is the Crown Grill bar. Toning down the noise level of music and activities in the Piazza would go a long way in addressing this problem. I'm not even sure why non-musical activities in the Piazza need to be amplified.

In my feedback from the last cruise, I said that the average noise level on the ship marred an otherwise perfect cruise. As a result, we'll be trying other lines in the future--probably Holland America, which I understand is more sedate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

The noise levels are truly out of control, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on (or perhaps I'm just getting older and crankier.).

With so many of the bars and restaurants open to the Piazza, there are very few ways to escape the noise.  The only place we find it possible to have a decent conversation while enjoying a drink is the Crown Grill bar. Toning down the noise level of music and activities in the Piazza would go a long way in addressing this problem. I'm not even sure why non-musical activities in the Piazza need to be amplified.

In my feedback from the last cruise, I said that the average noise level on the ship marred an otherwise perfect cruise. As a result, we'll be trying other lines in the future--probably Holland America, which I understand is more sedate.

We tried HAL Westerdam once, most of the time it was so sedate it was boring. But the one place I would have liked a bit of quiet was the Crows Nest, which was the only interesting place to sit and have a coffee during the day but it was always very noisy. We won't bother cruising HAL again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We tried HAL Westerdam once, most of the time it was so sedate it was boring. But the one place I would have liked a bit of quiet was the Crows Nest, which was the only interesting place to sit and have a coffee during the day but it was always very noisy. We won't bother cruising HAL again. 

We cruised HAL and Westerdam last year and it made us appreciate a bit more noise. If I want quiet I'll go to church.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Then why bother to spend any $ at any of those places that are uncomfortable?  I'm on the Island Princess now and it is such a radical difference from the larger ships that SWMBO will have to put up a good argument to sail on anything but the Island or Coral again.  I truly enjoy being able to meet and chat with other passengers in just about any venue without having to shout at somebody sitting next to me on a barstool at GS.

Little choice if you are a wine drinker or want to eat in a casual venue, rather than the MDR/buffet. It's not a case of paying $ there since it's already paid for.

• 2 weeks later...

I said I'd come back and report on the sound level during our recent cruise on Sky Princess.  We got home yesterday so here goes....

We dined in Catch one evening and my concerns about the sound level did not come to fruition.  The band in the Piazza were playing Frank Sinatra-type tunes and a nice background level so we could enjoy both our dinner (which was terrific) and the music in the Piazza.

What we learned was it depended on who was playing in the Piazza.  The steel drum player was at a nice sound level.  The ship dance band that often played later in the evening int he Piazza was way over the top loud.  It's just so unnecessary .  

So while we mostly enjoyed those who played in the Piazza at normal sound levels, we didn't enjoy the music so loud that it was mind-numbing.  I guess it all depends on who is playing and when as to whether you can enjoy a dinner in the "open to the atrium" specialty dining restaurants.  Fortunately for us, we had a great experience but I can certainly see where that would not be the case if others were playing in the Piazza.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I said I'd come back and report on the sound level during our recent cruise on Sky Princess.  We got home yesterday so here goes....

We dined in Catch one evening and my concerns about the sound level did not come to fruition.  The band in the Piazza were playing Frank Sinatra-type tunes and a nice background level so we could enjoy both our dinner (which was terrific) and the music in the Piazza.

What we learned was it depended on who was playing in the Piazza.  The steel drum player was at a nice sound level.  The ship dance band that often played later in the evening int he Piazza was way over the top loud.  It's just so unnecessary .  

So while we mostly enjoyed those who played in the Piazza at normal sound levels, we didn't enjoy the music so loud that it was mind-numbing.  I guess it all depends on who is playing and when as to whether you can enjoy a dinner in the "open to the atrium" specialty dining restaurants.  Fortunately for us, we had a great experience but I can certainly see where that would not be the case if others were playing in the Piazza.  

What time did you sit down for dinner? 

Something tells me that you were just lucky & didn't experience a loud band at that time. 

17 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Thanks for reporting your experience.  For us it wasn't the music, it was the games and other activities.  There was one member of the cruise staff in particular that seemed to have the mic turned up to 11 and then screamed into it.  I really think it depends on the activity and who is involved.  

I would welcome Frank Sinatra-type music during a meal, especially at a reasonable level! 🙂 

• Like 1

Just of note, we just sailed on the Crown and they held the Zumba exercise routine in the morning down in Club Fusion.  That was really the only event that I thought was so loud as to where you couldn’t hold a conversation.  Otherwise, I really like all the activities that are held in the piazza .. and I am in the baby boomer generation.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note, we just sailed on the Crown and they held the Zumba exercise routine in the morning down in Club Fusion.  That was really the only event that I thought was so loud as to where you couldn’t hold a conversation.  Otherwise, I really like all the activities that are held in the piazza .. and I am in the baby boomer generation.  

Why would you be in club fusion during Zumba if you wanted to have a chat ?

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Why would you be in club fusion during Zumba if you wanted to have a chat ?

I thought it was loud when held in the piazza.  I was commenting that they moved it to the Club Fusion, which should make some people very happy.  I know it made me happy.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I thought it was loud when held in the piazza.  I was commenting that they moved it to the Club Fusion, which should make some people very happy.  I know it made me happy.  

I would agree with that. Perhaps I misunderstood your post

On 2/3/2024 at 5:34 AM, leck57 said:

We cruised HAL and Westerdam last year and it made us appreciate a bit more noise. If I want quiet I'll go to church.

Totally agree.  The best places have some type of piped-in music, even at low volumes...just to cut down on the blare of silence.

• Like 1

I'm on the Caribbean the end of April. I have a decimal meter app on my phone. I think I'll have some fun with it. Of course I would have to remember to record my findings.🙂

39 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I'm on the Caribbean the end of April. I have a decimal meter app on my phone. I think I'll have some fun with it. Of course I would have to remember to record my findings.🙂

I've done that from my watch in the theater and Piazza.  Over 100 Decibels.  Taken the results to Customer Service and they recorded my complaint in the log.  

Doesn't make a bit of difference.  No changes.

• Like 1