The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 8th, 2024

kazu

Today is Boy Scout Anniversary Day/National Boy Scout Day, Giving Hearts Day (in North Dakota and Minnesota), and Laugh and Get Rich Day

Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.--Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby

Meal Suggestion for today - Hungarian Beef Goulash
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Moscow Mule
Wine of the Day - Castlepoint Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Catania, Sicily, Italy 

Today in History:
1672 Isaac Newton reads 1st optics paper before Royal Society in London

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Roseau, Dominica 08:00 - 18:00 

Koningsdam

Kahului, Maui Island Hawaii 08:00 - 20:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 02-09

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 08:00 - 15:00 

Oosterdam

Antarctic Experience 

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00 

Zaandam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii 07:00 - 23:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 02-10

Volendam

At Sea Destination Darwin, NT Australia eta 02-10

Westerdam

Kagoshima City, Japan Kagoshima 08:00 - 18:00

• Like 19
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill’s sister in hospital, needed a transfusion

StLouisCruisers’ friend Scott hospitalized for infection, weakness, dehydration

Cruzin Terri with a trip and fall, with bruised face

Smitty34877’s Tana having a fever

Haljo1935 with a sinus infection

Marshhawk and her DH with respiratory illness 

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

King Charles battling cancer

Outside Philly 2 police officers shot, house set ablaze, 6 people missing

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Lady Hudson (Katherine & Bill)!

Norseh2o debarking Oceania Regatta today, staying in Syndey for a bit

Superoma’s DH with good outcome from seeing the hand surgeon

Ger_77’s DH Maurice getting a closer appointment for tests

57redbird making progress after her spine surgery, but still with some pain

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam Feb 11 to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean

7 days for Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox Feb 15 to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Laugh and Get Rich Day!  See, I knew I had an impact of these threads. Y’all should be rich now. You welcome! 😀

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the maps.

Cool and clear this morning, I could see a few stars in the sky.  Our forecast high is 10°C (50°F) normal for this time of year is -3°C (27°F).  Our record high for today is 9.5°C so we could be breaking a record!  Most of the snow has melted.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds great, looking forward to seeing recipes.   Not sure about the drink, but I know I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.   Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  Again today our temp is 33 with a high of about 60 expected, but we will see more clouds than sun unfortunately. 🌤️ Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  👍

A few good days today to honor or celebrate.  The Boy Scout organization is a good way to develop our nation's next leaders.  (Same for Girl Scouts)  Giving Hearts Day is a bit vague, but Laugh and Get Rich Day sounds like fun.  No comment on the quote, pass on the goulash and cocktail but I'd gladly try the Sauvignon Blanc.  A good day for Isaac Newton way back in 1672.  Thanks to the F&B Dept. reporters, Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for my DB and friend Scott in Arizona, his wife Susan, friend Bob and his wife Sandy.🙏  In addition my prayers go to the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and the military members under attack while patrolling the seas in the region and at the bases nearby. 🙏 And last but not least the Daily folks who are in need of prayer due to pain, under treatment for health problems, worry and stress, and loss of loved ones.🙏  Special mentions are Vanessa, Roy, Annie and Chuck, Tana, Terry, Terri and Jim, Jane, Bruno's DD David, and Joy's friend Ron. 🙏 Prayers also to those 5 missing crew members of the helicopter that went missing in California and those involved in the ambush and house fire near Philadelphia.  We keep busy with all our prayers here on the Daily!🙏 

Congrats to everyone celebrating something and the cruisers enjoying their relaxation time.🥂  Bon Voyage Katherine and Bill @Lady Hudson🚢 I hope Bill's sister is doing better now.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for setting up the lists for us every day!  ❤️

The port this morning is Catania, Italy (Sicily).  This was the port once before last year on June 7, 2023.  We enjoyed a sunny day there back in Dec. 2018 on the Pacific Princess.  I'll post my photos next but here is the link to help you retrieve your photos of Catania.  I checked and there are no photos to post for Lenda.

I made huge progress on the cross stitch Christmas stocking yesterday.  I will continue on that today.  I hope everyone here has a good Thursday and remember to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

This morning I see a change to an upcoming itinerary from Algiers, Algeria to Cagliari, Italy on the island of Sicily.  We've been to Cagliari but not Algiers so this isn't a good change for us, but Sicily is a nice place to visit and we'll make the most of it.  Here's my last post about Catania which was a beautiful spot to stop at.

On Dec. 3, 2018 Pacific Princess arrived in Catania on the island of Sicily.  The view from breakfast was Mt. Etna.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxA8Oi4qJznvX6rQFMS0rD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390466

It was a nice sunny day so we prepared to walk through the town since this was our first visit there.  We saw many large ornate buildings and it began to get confusing.  For instance, this one.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrhiTLH6p7fqcWB99Y-mZL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385755

And this one00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHDR_bWSWAxpKCu01Fvl0G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390821

Did you notice this elephant out front?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJJoYARZ5PNv1zLM4_CQH-2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390824

This cathedral was pretty and had a nice interior.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjndQYRGT_WSQ-yKN5DJfl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390828

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkc2pWx4mNhZQ76IoOkxxF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390830

How about this confessional?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsGDdZryvQsBCgzaRQgNXr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390840

Across from the Cathedral00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWbKi773pSnti2_P7y8VT6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390846

If you walk through this arched opening you will find the farmer's market.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQKIovkwhFR75Xk5iFvx0f?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385820

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIkWWA72W8yUZPuGR8-k-tS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390856

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKpFHXkwSbuDJixFj17L2pa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390859

Yikes!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9jsaEDjMqcXSLbincq1hR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390868

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuE0c0V-8uXJ2990cIbwbU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385892

Another large ornate building?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK66dkEZV-DYZ_CY2E7Opxt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390869

Enough of that.  On our way back to the ship we found this archeological site of an ancient theater.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKALKOhY_X78hkx6PBDX3DH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546386018

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKortRbZc9wFLDqrkEjVeLE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546386046

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL9O_NheF5_kkFpvCbqD3Fx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546386029

Back to the ship to relax.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKS-BkBR00B0cozRGSSaFyx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385695

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5zadCJDt5PU0oqYNDVtdm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390474

Glad I saw this port because it's not on many itineraries.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Happy Thursday everyone.  Thanks Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Paul, Eva & Ann for your ongoing dedication to this thread.

Good collection of days.  I will happily celebrate Boy Scouts.  Giving Hearts sounds like a nice day and perhaps one we should all be doing daily.  it’s too bad it wasn’t as easy to get rich (or well to do) than just laugh.  😉. I like the quote - love does complete you IMO.

IMG_1522.thumb.jpeg.39de1fde98c7f8015f2e57ffe0869c2b.jpeg

YAY - a white wine 🙂   It doesn’t sound familiar and looking forward to Ann’s description.  We’ve been to Catania.  Another bitter one this morning outside but with luck, it will warm up sufficiently that Ivan may not need his coat for the walk 🤞 

IMG_2091.thumb.jpeg.3616c1287182ec504ea01f580f95563f.jpeg

My upstairs is a disaster from trying to sort and eliminate things.  I think I best get things back in order today and I can start fresh in a week or two 😂. I am out of boxes and have more than enough to give away next week.

IMG_2085.thumb.jpeg.cb6b054241deef4240dd6cb4dd265b3f.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you for all for the good wishes for my DSIL.  We didn’t hear anything yesterday so assuming no news is good news.  Also, my niece is posting regular type stuff.  Don’t think she would be doing that it there was a critical situation. 

We are doing last minute stuff before leaving around 8:30.  Be wishes to all.

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you for all for the good wishes for my DSIL.  We didn’t hear anything yesterday so assuming no news is good news.  Also, my niece is posting regular type stuff.  Don’t think she would be doing that it there was a critical situation. 

So relieved to hear this.  Thank you for letting us know.   Bon Voyage!

Roy

• Like 24

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda 

54 this morning and 77 this afternoon, 3 straight days coming up in the 80s starting tomorrow 

Good selection of days, I spent some early years in the Cub and Boy Scouts, I have some nice memories from those days

I also like the quote as well as Hungarian Goulash 

We’ve been to Messina and Taormina in Sicily but not Catania

Pollen counts have been very high in SW Florida and my allergies are acting up, sneezing and coughing more than usual

DW will have the stitches removed today after her sprinkler tripping event last week

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

that’s good news.  I think you are right on “no news is good news”.

Bon Voyage -have a WONDERFUL time !!!!

IMG_1665.jpeg.190de5c6e2684fb826516cc1aa96af25.jpeg

• Like 24

Good morning from Dominica.  We have visited at length in 2023 so will probably head down the street to a French style restaurant nearby.  We can see it from the ship and it doesn't look like much but the Google reviews and photos makes it look like a winner.  Cloudy weather here today. 

Thanks for our Daily and maps each day Jacqui and Roy! 

Thanks for keeping abreast of our group in need of prayers Vanessa.  Special prayers for pain relief for Vanessa and healing for Tana.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine.  

There was some excitement for our waiters last night because the vent hoods quit working in the galley and the dining room filled with the smell of burning fish.  They turned off the frigid AC in the MDR because it was probably pulling the smell in.  There was an obvious haze at the entry area.  Our assistant waiter told us it was chaotic at the beginning of dinner service.  Other than the smell we never would have known.

IMG_20240208_063807942_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240208_060609921_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from a wet 38°F North East England.

Thank you for the dedication, preparation and planning by those dailyites who keep the vital components of the Daily going.

I was the youngest Patrol leader in the Sea scouts in Sunderland.

Love is something that when you are in Love you know it.

We have sailed in to today's port.

Unfortunately pre CC I used my camcorder to video all of our holidays and have Lots of holiday DVDs plus hard photo's.

Now I use and save my photos on my Android phone.

As someone who is in constant pain when moving with my arthritis I empathise with everyone who is unwell and wish them good health.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240208_120356.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Strawberry Moscow Mule

Today's drink is a Moscow Mule plus strawberries. A mule consists of spirits, ginger beer, and lime, served in a copper mug. Some versions of this recipe specify lemon instead of lime, and depending on the sweetness of the ginger beer, you might want to reduce the citrus or add simple syrup.

Strawberry-Moscow-Mule-Recipe-in-3-Mins6.thumb.jpg.28c4a874ed0020082830c799fbe554fc.jpg

2 oz (60 ml) vodka
4 oz (120 ml) ginger beer
1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
4 large strawberries (chopped)
1 lime or lemon slice
1 strawberry (cut in half)

1 spring of fresh herb

In a copper mug (or glass), add the strawberries. Crush them with a cocktail muddler. Alternatively, you can also crush the strawberries in a food processor or blender.
Next, add the ice cubes. Pour the vodka, lemon juice and top with ginger beer. If you like it sweeter, add some simple syrup too. Use a stirrer or spoon and give it a gentle stir.
Garnish with a lime or lemon slice and a fresh strawberry. Add a sprig of any fresh herb.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Happy Thursday. The week is almost over. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

The meal and drink of the day sound good to me. 

Warming up here. Should be in the 50's today with sun. The daffodils are peeking out making my spring fever more intense. Fancy will be happy as she loves warm weather. 

Lots of paperwork today, a couple of clients, and a class this evening. 

Bon voyage @Lady Hudson

Thinking of all on the care list

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Funny Thursday Quotes - Happy Thursday Quotes and memes - The King Of ...

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Feb 8

Hungarian beef goulash

This recipe is easy, no pre browning but the spices used make it sound very tasty. And yes, another slow cooker recipe 

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251960/hungarian-beef-goulash/

image.png.865776b35ea6c650f1bc470cbb3da2c6.png

This one claims to be authentic. But The Hungarian Gulasch recipe handed down to me by my grandmother more closely resembled the first one, no carrots etc in it. 

https://www.daringgourmet.com/traditional-hungarian-goulash-gulyas/

image.thumb.png.1e59f50e0e8d7f3dae71cc585e0e3c5f.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for your maps! It is a lovely 52 this morning. Still a bit of a breeze, but nothing like the past few days. Luckily today is yard waste pick up day here, because some of my neighbors lost some pretty big limbs and palm fronds. Boy am I glad I had some major tree work done in December. 

Vanessa, bless your BFF. I pray that your upcoming procedure helps you. Thank you for keeping up with us, in spite of what you are going through. You are one amazing individual!

Today is haircut day! I am tired of the wind whipping it around. 😎. Bindi walks, more grout work, branch patrol and other fun chores will fill my day. 

IMG_2556.jpeg.599b849d14525ded84a6ee8352854814.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg.d6a1eaca44ee25f9d18c1c63508bf617.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg.76f0fa1c6ccf797a625f755d67139a1c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, grieving the loss of a loved one, or in a funk. The caregivers.

Terry, special prayers for Tana, and you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Lady Hudson Bon Voyage!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Castlepoint Sauvignon Blanc 

Though I had a bit of trouble finding info other than “canned tasting notes, consumers love this New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and it is easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $16.99.

Distributor notes

A vibrant and refreshing white wine showcasing tropical fruit flavors, zesty acidity, and a clean, lingering finish. An exceptional choice for lovers of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Edited by cat shepard
Too many spaces
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon from a wet 38°F North East England.

Thank you for the dedication, preparation and planning by those dailyites who keep the vital components of the Daily going.

I was the youngest Patrol leader in the Sea scouts in Sunderland.

Love is something that when you are in Love you know it.

We have sailed in to today's port.

Unfortunately pre CC I used my camcorder to video all of our holidays and have Lots of holiday DVDs plus hard photo's.

Now I use and save my photos on my Android phone.

As someone who is in constant pain when moving with my arthritis I empathise with everyone who is unwell and wish them good health.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240208_120356.jpg

I hear you about the arthritis, I turn 78 in a few days and I hope I can get in 2 more years of golf, started playing golf in 1960 and along with 30 years of tennis my body can’t take much more, 80 will be a good number to quit with 66 years playing a game that I love.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Hats off to the Boy Scouts who taught me how to tie a square knot among other valuable things.  Wouldn’t it be nice to get rich for laughing, on the other hand I think you do.  The quote reminds me to buy some valentine cards.  The meal and drink suggestions sound delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port but the photos are very nice.  Prayers for those on our prayer list, I hope things improve.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events today!🎉

• Like 27