Scenic Glacier Cruising Etiquette

Quiltr

I am currently on a South American cruise and we are currently at the Amalia glacier. Very stunning.  My question is about finding the perfect spot for best viewing.  My husband and I went up to the viewing area on the roof of the bridge about 45 minutes before reaching the glacier.  It was very windy and chilly but there were many people there but it wasn’t crowded. We knew from passing through the Beagle Channel that we had chosen the best viewing spot. Once we reached the glacier, many more people arrived and were making comments that those at the rail should step away so everyone could have pictures.  AITAH for not stepping aside?  It was spectacular viewing and had I not been at the rail I would have missed the dolphins and seal that appeared 
After we relinquished our spot at the rail, the captain turned the ship in a complete circle so there was ample viewing angles for all .

• Like 1

Should you or do you HAVE to? No

Out of courtesy I do though after I have seen what I wanted to see. If you've ever seen 1 glacier, you've seen them all. But, since I live in the northwest and traveled all over Alaska for work, I'm no longer impressed by a glacier, a dolphin, a seal, or a whale.

Edited by klfrodo

This might be similar to entering the Panama Canal.  We were on deck at the front of the ship (Viking Explorer Lounge outdoor) at 4:45am.  There were 5 other people there when we arrived. 

The approach to the canal lock is spectacular in the dark morning because of the lights.  We maintained our position at the railing.  Other decks had lots of viewing area, but folks like this one because the Explorer Lounge was serving coffee and early continental breakfast. 

We heard many comments about people hogging the railing, but we were there when you were still snoring.  We film (video) our cruises because we produce a movie for each completed cruise.  We get up early or stand for a long time to catch and get the view.

We watch most all sail aways from the open decks, and we watch most docking from the open decks.  We like this part of cruising.  We plan for these events and plan to get the best vantage point.

We have been 'late to the party' before, but would never dream of making comments for others to hear about giving us space at the front.  If we are late, we stand at the best point we can find and are patient and if someone leaves, then we step in.

Nope - would not give up my position.  Sorry if that is harsh.

• Like 9

I arrived first and will stay as long as it suits me. General comments made by late arrivals will be ignored. Comments made to me directly may result in an less than cordial exchange. 

• Like 1

I have been to a few glaciers and through the canal a few times. Viewing the glaciers, it can get chilly. Now if you get too cold and go inside there goes your rail spot. Same goes with the canal. Sitting up above the bridge. You are out in the sun and if it hot, so are you. I prefer to move around the ship. You see more. Especially if you are shooting pictures. You will see different viewing aspects. Yes, the ships do rotate at the glaciers. The next time you are in the canal or at a glacier, move around. You would be surprised how many good viewing areas there are. Like an outside promenade deck on at canal cruise. You can see the canal up close. How the mules work and a lot of time this area is not crowded at all.  

On a HAL Panama Canal cruise there was a couple seated in comfortable chairs next to a table about ten feet back from the bench which ran along the forward- facing windows.  They tried to insist that, since they were there first, no one should sit anywhere on the bench which might infringe on their desired 120 degree panoramic view.

1 hour ago, Greg4502 said:

I have been to a few glaciers and through the canal a few times. Viewing the glaciers, it can get chilly. Now if you get too cold and go inside there goes your rail spot. Same goes with the canal. Sitting up above the bridge. You are out in the sun and if it hot, so are you. I prefer to move around the ship. You see more. Especially if you are shooting pictures. You will see different viewing aspects. Yes, the ships do rotate at the glaciers. The next time you are in the canal or at a glacier, move around. You would be surprised how many good viewing areas there are. Like an outside promenade deck on at canal cruise. You can see the canal up close. How the mules work and a lot of time this area is not crowded at all.  

We absolutely do this, but when I get a spot, I keep it regardless of the comments from behind.

When ready to go we go and recognize that we have lost that spot.

We agree, that there are always many vantage points around the ship and you don't always have to be at the front...

Truthfully, I agree that those who get up early and get a good viewing position are not obligated to give it up.

On the other hand, I like to think I am kind, so if I had a really nice position I would offer to let someone else take it for a few minutes to get some pics, once I'd gotten mine. (After all cruise ships don't move that fast.) But it would be on the understanding that I would get the spot back once they got their shots.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Truthfully, I agree that those who get up early and get a good viewing position are not obligated to give it up.

On the other hand, I like to think I am kind, so if I had a really nice position I would offer to let someone else take it for a few minutes to get some pics, once I'd gotten mine. (After all cruise ships don't move that fast.) But it would be on the understanding that I would get the spot back once they got their shots.

Well said, cm. Do I remember that you're from the South?

On 2/15/2024 at 3:10 PM, klfrodo said:

Should you or do you HAVE to? No

Out of courtesy I do though after I have seen what I wanted to see. If you've ever seen 1 glacier, you've seen them all. But, since I live in the northwest and traveled all over Alaska for work, I'm no longer impressed by a glacier, a dolphin, a seal, or a whale.

Nor am I impressed by the Panama Canal -- seen the Hiram Chittenden locks too many times.

In Alaska I was at the rail early and one of the last to leave… I’m tough and can handle the cold. No way am I giving up my spot but I’ll lean out of the way for someone’s photo and offer to take a photo of them because I am nice that way. 

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

That's why I got myself a balcony for Alaska - I didn't have to deal with the "railing scrum" that goes on trying to get a spot.

But no one is serving hot chocolate on your balcony. 

Just now, SoloAlaska said:

But no one is serving hot chocolate on your balcony. 

I just run up to the buffet and get it and run back down.  I'm OK with self serve 😸  If it's in the afternoon, my bottle of wine will do nicely...

• Haha 1

I guess I don't really understand the need or expectation to move.  There are prime viewing locations all over the ship and if a spot isn't prime, just be patient and as the ship moves, it will soon become prime.  If a person gets a good spot on the railing, just like if they grab a great lounger, it is theirs until they want to vacate it.  

And I think slidergirl nailed it.  In areas like Endicott Arm or Tracy Arm, we just hang out on the balcony.  We see one side going in and the other side going out.  And yes, we do get hot chocolate served.  Well, at least, my wife does because I'm the one going and getting it.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I guess I don't really understand the need or expectation to move.  There are prime viewing locations all over the ship and if a spot isn't prime, just be patient and as the ship moves, it will soon become prime.  If a person gets a good spot on the railing, just like if they grab a great lounger, it is theirs until they want to vacate it.  

And I think slidergirl nailed it.  In areas like Endicott Arm or Tracy Arm, we just hang out on the balcony.  We see one side going in and the other side going out.  And yes, we do get hot chocolate served.  Well, at least, my wife does because I'm the one going and getting it.  😁

So your saying I need a cruise husband 😂 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

On a HAL Panama Canal cruise there was a couple seated in comfortable chairs next to a table about ten feet back from the bench which ran along the forward- facing windows.  They tried to insist that, since they were there first, no one should sit anywhere on the bench which might infringe on their desired 120 degree panoramic view.

Ahem...we may have been on that cruise (Nov. 2012) and saw those folks.  Mostly they were ignored and the wife was rather miffed!  

15 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

So your saying I need a cruise husband 😂 

Not to be snarky, but booking a HAL cruise most anywhere....we did South America in 2016, would mean that you could use the bow of the ship...lean over, take photos, take turns with others,  Tis windy, but so is the upper viewing areas, as you found out.

I kinda understand the HAL issue.  That bench seat that runs the length of the window, facing away from the window is a good test of people's sense of community.  If folks are sitting in the chairs facing out, it's kinda rude to plop down in front of them.  Then again, it's empty seating.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

image.png

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I kinda understand the HAL issue.  That bench seat that runs the length of the window, facing away from the window is a good test of people's sense of community.  If folks are sitting in the chairs facing out, it's kinda rude to plop down in front of them.  Then again, it's empty seating.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

image.png

Except for the fact that the arm chair sitters believed that they were entitled to have a wide-angle view — meaning that at least 6 or 8 of the bench seats had to remain empty - giving them the use of at least 4 seats each.  We were not the only ones to ignore them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thinfool said:

Ahem...we may have been on that cruise (Nov. 2012) and saw those folks.  Mostly they were ignored and the wife was rather miffed!  

Not to be snarky, but booking a HAL cruise most anywhere....we did South America in 2016, would mean that you could use the bow of the ship...lean over, take photos, take turns with others,  Tis windy, but so is the upper viewing areas, as you found out.

I meant for hot chocolate delivery I needed a cruise husband. 

16 hours ago, Aquahound said:

image.png

It is empty seating that the people in the chairs do not "own".

I have been sitting back somewhat from the viewing window with reasonable view and then a group of 4 people have come and stood right in front of us and while standing they have a great view, and now I have no view.

I don't "own" that floor space.  It would be wrong of me to say anything to them.

I personally would probably not go and sit on the bench directly in front of someone, but that is me and my sensibility and consideration for others.  There are many people that don't think that way.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:34 AM, SoloAlaska said:

In Alaska I was at the rail early and one of the last to leave… I’m tough and can handle the cold. No way am I giving up my spot but I’ll lean out of the way for someone’s photo and offer to take a photo of them because I am nice that way. 

On my first visit to New York I was up early to see the lady but couldn’t get near the railings.  As I am quite short a lovely tall man near the railing took my camera and took a few photos for me. I could peek around people and get a look but could not get a good photo view.

21 hours ago, Gwendy said:

On my first visit to New York I was up early to see the lady but couldn’t get near the railings.  As I am quite short a lovely tall man near the railing took my camera and took a few photos for me. I could peek around people and get a look but could not get a good photo view.

Was there no other viewing point that you could have gone to on the ship?

We move about the ship so much that if we go to one deck and there is a crowd, we move to another deck.  Although we always are there early to get our best spot, if it is occupied we always seem to find another vantage point.

• Like 1