Passenger Walks Into Wrong Room

Hi all. I was just reading an account over on Reddit from a passenger on Navigator who had a stranger walk into their room unexpectedly. Their account of it makes the stranger sound a bit suspicious. I know this happens in hotels sometimes (twice to me). I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else on a cruise, if security was able to explain why and what was the response from management?

Edited by TBone2K
Spelling
  • Haha 1

So I responded to this on Reddit- My theory is that the door wasn't closed tight and someone just walked into the wrong room. He claims he heard the door beep and click...they all do that when you put your card in, they just don't actually unlock if it's the wrong room...so this person could've easily put the card in and pushed the already open door.  I know we have to give our doors a shove most of the time to close them tight, so this is very possible. 

Edited by Scottdalfonso
  • Like 6

We once had a couple trying to use their Seapass cards to get into our cabin as we watched walking down the hallway one evening. Brief conversation, wrong floor and lots of laughs. Always a joke when we saw them after that. 

• Like 8

With the SeaPass cards now available at your cabin, it is very possible to pick one up, not check for your name, walk in and unpack!

So be SURE you’re in the correct stateroom by finding your name on the SeaPass card before settling in! 😲😴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, roupa said:

With the SeaPass cards now available at your cabin, it is very possible to pick one up, not check for your name, walk in and unpack!

So be SURE you’re in the correct stateroom by finding your name on the SeaPass card before settling in! 😲😴

We saw this on a RC cruise last year. A guy down the corridor was shouting at an attendant that someone had taken their cards from the 'mail slot',  entered their room, dumped their hand baggage and taken a shower, used the bathroom.  

He was demanding that the room get recleaned/made up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roupa said:

I agree but they were already in the room and it was the second day.

What I'm really interested in is if RC responds and says what happened.

My dh once walked into the wrong house!  We were visiting my son in NJ and dh had gone out and come back and got the houses mixed up.  

A woman was in the kitchen and just said "hi, can I help you?"  I told him he could have been shot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think anyone entered our cabin (we were down a hallway  where there were only 6 cabins, but we had to call maintenance to come fix our toilet which hadn't flushed in over 4 hours. They said we didn't need to be there. I came back to the cabin about 2 hours later to find the door slightly open due to the deadbolt on. I figured they were still in the cabin working but there was no one in sight and the toilet had been fixed. Scary to think anyone could have come in our cabin because maintenance didn't close the door.

I’ve tried opening what I thought was my cabin door and when the green light did not come on I realized I had gotten off on the wrong floor.  I called myself an “idiot”. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

So I responded to this on Reddit- My theory is that the door wasn't closed tight and someone just walked into the wrong room. He claims he heard the door beep and click...they all do that when you put your card in, they just don't actually unlock if it's the wrong room...so this person could've easily put the card in and pushed the already open door.  I know we have to give our doors a shove most of the time to close them tight, so this is very possible. 

This is very possible. Last year on Explorer, our room door didn’t close fully unless it was pulled/pushed hard. This must be common enough on the older ships where wear and tear is evident. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Thats what I think too.  Recently I got off the elevator at the wrong floor, walked to the room and my card kept scanning red….i finally realized I was on the wrong floor.  Thankfully no one saw me 🫢 So I don’t see how anyone else could have gotten in the room unless the door wasn’t fully closed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I’ve tried opening what I thought was my cabin door and when the green light did not come on I realized I had gotten off on the wrong floor.  I called myself an “idiot”. 

I just posted I did the same thing….lol

Even funnier is I doubt that will be the last time I do that 😁

• Haha 1

I once opened the driver's side door of a white SUV in the grocery store parking lot.  There happened to be a woman sitting the driver's seat on the phone - I scared her as much as she scared me! LOL.  My white SUV was parking just behind her's.  Accidents happen.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

My dh once walked into the wrong house!  We were visiting my son in NJ and dh had gone out and come back and got the houses mixed up.  

A woman was in the kitchen and just said "hi, can I help you?"  I told him he could have been shot!

We once went to a surprise party on the wrong week!   It was at the house of a friend of a friend.  The front door was open and no one answered so DH went in and thought everyone was already hiding so was hollering "Hello."   It was a pool party so he went into the backyard where the owner was in the pool in an inner tube.  DH had thought something was maybe up when there wasn't many cars, so DD and I stayed in the car.  The story was told many times at the actual party.  

• Haha 2

On the general topic, not saying that Royal does this, but even today it isn't that unusual for hotels to have only a limited number of codes to open the doors.  So, I always use the hardware lock when inside hotel rooms.