Princess - PLEASE help, outsourced customer service is absurd

cusematt4

Hi all - I have never seen a company with such terrible customer service as Princess.

All Princess reservations and support seems to be outsourced.  Not only this, but they read from a script.  They are unable to deal with outlier issues and questions.  They have provided us wrong information about bookings and policies.  They have promised us resolutions that have gone unfulfilled.  They refuse to escalate issues or transfer to a supervisor.  And they are absolutely useless.  They not only do not help, but I'm better off not speaking with them as they have provided incorrect information that has cost us monetarily.

Princess chat is a waste and even less helpful, driving us in circles to contact the 800 number and the 800 number to contact vita chat that I was not told to save for my records as I relied on what was said and proper documentation.

Princess also doesn't respond to emails and customer service tickets, nor calls back.  I've called the corporate office to be connected to guest resolutions in the united stated / customer relations, to then be transferred to the outsourced reservations desk.  They refuse to transfer to the executive office.  The need to even have to resort to asking to contact the executive office is unfathomable as these are such simple issues that customer care or a manager should be able to help with if those teams and people existed.

Princess is the example of everything gone wrong plus more in customer care.  I may never cruise Princess again based on this, but in the meantime just want my issue resolved.

We've spent over 20 hours on the phone, 8 chats, 5 contact submission requests - all to no avail and as mentioned are worse off now with incorrect info told and unfulfilled promises relied on.

Has anyone else gone through this?  I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Does anyone have any advice.  I do not have more time to waste on this to write a lengthy email describing everything to go to a corporates contact or email address.

Is there any way I can get in touch with someone, ideally by phone and I guess by email as a backup, who can help with this chaos?

Thanks so much.

Edited by cusematt4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all - I have never seen a company with such terrible customer service as Princess.

All Princess reservations and support seems to be outsourced.  Not only this, but they read from a script.  They are unable to deal with outlier issues and questions.  They have provided us wrong information about bookings and policies.  They have promised us resolutions that have gone unfulfilled.  They refuse to escalate issues or transfer to a supervisor.  And they are absolutely useless.  They not only do not help, but I'm better off not speaking with them as they have provided incorrect information that has cost us monetarily.

Princess chat is a waste and even less helpful, driving us in circles to contact the 800 number and the 800 number to contact vita chat that I was not told to save for my records as I relied on what was said and proper documentation.

Princess also doesn't respond to emails and customer service tickets, nor calls back.  I've called the corporate office to be connected to guest resolutions in the united stated / customer relations, to then be transferred to the outsourced reservations desk.  They refuse to transfer to the executive office.  The need to even have to resort to asking to contact the executive office is unfathomable as these are such simple issues that customer care or a manager should be able to help with if those teams and people existed.

Princess is the example of everything gone wrong plus more in customer care.  I may never cruise Princess again based on this, but in the meantime just want my issue resolved.

We've spent over 20 hours on the phone, 8 chats, 5 contact submission requests - all to no avail and as mentioned are worse off now with incorrect info told and unfulfilled promises relied on.

Does anyone have any advice.  I do not have more time to waste on this to write a lengthy email describing everything to go to a corporates contact or email address.

Is there any way I can get in touch with someone, ideally by phone and I guess by email as a backup, who can help with this chaos?

Thanks so much.

Most of the CVPs (Cruise Vacation Planners) are better. One possibility is to call (800) 901-1172 and ask for one. There also is a form you can fill out to get one at https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/cruiseVacationPlanner.page

• Like 1

Thanks.  Princess reservations is all outsourced.  Given that I can't go back and book with a different party, I am at a total loss.

Issues range from misinfo on deposit refund policy, misinfo to being adjust pre-cruise tours (they can hear this if they pull the calls and have even asked if they can do this), misinfo based on cancelling and rebooking a different comparable cruise - all which now cost us money.

Outsourcing and not being able to help customers is one thing.  Outsourcing and providing customers absolutely incorrect info with a total inability to resolve situations for relied upon company-provided info is inexcusable.

19 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks.  Princess reservations is all outsourced.  Given that I can't go back and book with a different party, I am at a total loss.

Issues range from misinfo on deposit refund policy, misinfo to being adjust pre-cruise tours (they can hear this if they pull the calls and have even asked if they can do this), misinfo based on cancelling and rebooking a different comparable cruise - all which now cost us money.

Outsourcing and not being able to help customers is one thing.  Outsourcing and providing customers absolutely incorrect info with a total inability to resolve situations for relied upon company-provided info is inexcusable.

So why haven’t you tried to get a CVP to help you through this ?  If you are trying to switch to a different what you call comparable cruise what you are actually doing is canceling and booking a new cruise. Pricing may have changed. Again if you aren’t going to get a CVP then I don’t know what you think we can do for ypu

I didn't book with a CVP and booked with Princess reservations.  I thought I can rely on the info given by Princess' very own in house reservations team.

Going forward I will use a CVP or travel agent.  Lesson learned not to book with nor rely on with Princess reps and reservation agents state, despite being employed and trained by Princess.

In the meantime since I booked direct with Princess and not a CVP or travel agent, how can I get something escalated and speak to someone in the United States to get back money owed and discuss incorrect yet relied upon info provided by Princess?  After 8 chats and 18+ hours on the phone, there must be someone to contact who can help within a billion dollar company.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, memoak said:

So why haven’t you tried to get a CVP to help you through this ?  If you are trying to switch to a different what you call comparable cruise what you are actually doing is canceling and booking a new cruise. Pricing may have changed. Again if you aren’t going to get a CVP then I don’t know what you think we can do for ypu

I suspect that the OP did not know that CVPs existed as an option.

Trying to get promises kept at this point is unlikely though. And Princess IS opaque.

But sometimes corporate does respond. I had a billing problem a while and emailed the executive offices. I did eventually get a call--3 weeks later after I managed to figure the whole thing out. But I did get the call. 

If OP wants to try, here are the three email addresses I found and used simultaneously. I am not sure which one worked:

customersolution@princesscruises.com

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

info@princesscruises.com

My email was to-the-point, starting with what the problem was and two alternatives on how I wanted it resolved. The rest of the email detailed very briefly what I had already tried to resolve it. I was careful to use very neutral language.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I definitely agree you need a CVP, who is a Princess agent and could help you, as others have suggested.

If you want to email customer relations and ask for their help, here’s the address.  I would nicely explain, in a calm email to them, that you need to talk to them and ask for their help.

Customerrelations@Princesscruises.com

Find a good travel agent and let them deal with it. They have (at least the one we use) direct contact with stateside Princess personnel who are always (our experience anyway) able to get things done. 

Life's far too short to deal with Princess offshore personnel.

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 3

I had the same problem as you. Keep calling. Try to talk to a cruise vacation planner like suggested, at least you may understand them. Don't give up.  

I just got back from our cruise and I totally agree with you about the misinformation.

48 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

I didn't book with a CVP and booked with Princess reservations.  I thought I can rely on the info given by Princess' very own in house reservations team.

Going forward I will use a CVP or travel agent.  Lesson learned not to book with nor rely on with Princess reps and reservation agents state, despite being employed and trained by Princess.

In the meantime since I booked direct with Princess and not a CVP or travel agent, how can I get something escalated and speak to someone in the United States to get back money owed and discuss incorrect yet relied upon info provided by Princess?  After 8 chats and 18+ hours on the phone, there must be someone to contact who can help within a billion dollar company.

Thank you.

CVP’s are Princess employees. I don’t understand the reluctance. You would still be dealing with Princess but with people who have a lot more access to the powers that be

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I have been sailing with Princess for years and I can't believe how bad their 800 number customer service is now. It's like night and day. I used to call the 800 number (let's say 5 years ago) and talk to an agent based somewhere in the USA and they were efficient and got things handled. Never had a problem. Now I've spent hair-pulling frustrating hours trying to communicate on the "new" 800 number and going nowhere, waiting forever to get a response on the new live chat, and after always booking my own cruises directly with Princess I gave up and used a PVP. I am not thrilled with him either but it was better than dealing with the phone agents. When I had a problem with my dad's military OBC I only had luck by messaging Princess on Instagram. If you have IG you might try that. I miss the old Princess 800 number agents, I don't know where they went, maybe they weren't rehired after Covid. It's sad that it's just not the same anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Thank you.

Here's how: call 1(800) 901-1172 like most of us are suggesting. It really doesn't matter that you didn't book with a CVP ... A good one (and most are) will answer your concern. (Just wondering, is this about Sun Princess cancelations?) 

Thanks.  Didn't realize a CVP will help with a general customer service issue related to misinformation from Princess' outsourced reservations line.

This is not related to the Sun Princess.  It is related to very wrong info they told me about being able to adjust pre-cruise land tours, about a refundable vs non-refundable deposit, and about switching sailings and cancelling / rebooking another.  A lot relied on and money at stake that was outlaid based on what they advised and confirmed.

8 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks.  Didn't realize a CVP will help with a general customer service issue related to misinformation from Princess' outsourced reservations line.

This is not related to the Sun Princess.  It is related to very wrong info they told me about being able to adjust pre-cruise land tours, about a refundable vs non-refundable deposit, and about switching sailings and cancelling / rebooking another.  A lot relied on and money at stake that was outlaid based on what they advised and confirmed.

Focus on what you want to accomplish, not what has been said or done previously. The CVP is not there to listen to complaints.  They may have the power to help you accomplish what you need.  Try not to bog down the conversation with what isn’t relevant. If you have any documentation to support you, that may help.

Good luck.  I hope you are successful.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Focus on what you want to accomplish, not what has been said or done previously. The CVP is not there to listen to complaints.  They may have the power to help you accomplish what you need.  Try not to bog down the conversation with what isn’t relevant. If you have any documentation to support you, that may help.

Good luck.  I hope you are successful.

^^^^^^^ This!

Sorry about your issues.  You are not alone.  Here is a link with some email addresses (I don't know if the Lorna Warren one is still good because I have never heard her mentioned on here).

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess-cruise-lines/

Christopher Elliott is a consumer advocate.  He lists info about contacts of lots of companies and he and his team also help people.  Take a look.

• Like 2

I now reluctantly use a CVP for this exact reason - because it is worthless to call the out-sourced call-center.  Often first time cruisers have no knowledge of CVPs and such and so they tend to call the call center, only to get useless and incorrect information and be on hold forever.  This is bad initial exposure for Princess.  

If I didn't have a CVP to go through, I would most definitely no longer be sailing with Princess

3 hours ago, Firefly74 said:

Most of the CVPs (Cruise Vacation Planners) are better. One possibility is to call (800) 901-1172 and ask for one. There also is a form you can fill out to get one at https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/cruiseVacationPlanner.page

I never got a response from filling out the form. But I did when I called the 800 number. I talked to a CVP/PVP who refared my cruise and moved my cabin even though I booked directly on the website.

Some of what the OP is saying reminds me of complaints people have when "Princess" calls them about some "sale" and what you get isn't what is promised. The call actually is from a 3rd party company (called ONE) that runs these deals for Princess. But they get your deposit before they send you the details and people have complained that the details don't match what they were promised.

Is that what happened to you?

Edited by MacMadame
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

We went through something similar a couple of years ago, ours was post cruise and we went through the traditional phone based customer service at first. We were always assured we would get a return call from a supervisor which we did not. Our issues went on for about 8 weeks and escalated to several chat sessions, e-mails to the executive team and many phone conversations. My biggest frustration was the promised return calls/e-mail responses, some with dates that went unfulfilled. I documented everything, took screen shots of the chats and saved all of the e-mails. I was clear with my complaint and what I felt was a fair resolution.  I would recommend you do the same in case you haven't yet.

Ultimately it was after I went through the complaint process with the Better Business Bureau that I finally got the resolution I was looking for.  Princess is not accredited with the BBB but they do respond to the process.  Best of luck!

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/valencia/profile/cruises/princess-cruises-1216-38000445

20 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Sorry about your issues.  You are not alone.  Here is a link with some email addresses (I don't know if the Lorna Warren one is still good because I have never heard her mentioned on here).

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess-cruise-lines/

Christopher Elliott is a consumer advocate.  He lists info about contacts of lots of companies and he and his team also help people.  Take a look.

He is a lawyer who in my opinion is a am Ila e chaser

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I have been sailing with Princess for years and I can't believe how bad their 800 number customer service is now. It's like night and day. I used to call the 800 number (let's say 5 years ago) and talk to an agent based somewhere in the USA and they were efficient and got things handled. Never had a problem. Now I've spent hair-pulling frustrating hours trying to communicate on the "new" 800 number and going nowhere, waiting forever to get a response on the new live chat, and after always booking my own cruises directly with Princess I gave up and used a PVP. I am not thrilled with him either but it was better than dealing with the phone agents. When I had a problem with my dad's military OBC I only had luck by messaging Princess on Instagram. If you have IG you might try that. I miss the old Princess 800 number agents, I don't know where they went, maybe they weren't rehired after Covid. It's sad that it's just not the same anymore. 

Agree with everything you and the OP have said.  Their customer service has gone from some of the best agents we use to deal with to the absolute worse.  
It is so frustrating to deal with their Philippine call center who are limited by scripts and seemingly do not have direct knowledge of Princess policies.  We have tried the CVP’s but they have been hit and miss and usually you have to leave a message and wait for a call back.  Really sad how Princess has changed since Jan Swartz moved on from Princess.

• Like 1

I recently had similar issues dealing with Princess customer service out sourced. I sailed last week on RCL. I wanted to compare both the cruise experience and the service between the two lines. I like RCL equally but prefer RCL customer service.