The Time in Tampa : Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Sailing out of Tampa for the first time... and booking dinner for the first night.    I don't want to miss us sailing under the bridge.   What time does the ship usually arrive at the bridge.

5 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Sailing out of Tampa for the first time... and booking dinner for the first night.    I don't want to miss us sailing under the bridge.   What time does the ship usually arrive at the bridge.

Look at the postings for the current Radiance Panama Canal sailing.  They just discussed that.

38 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Look at the postings for the current Radiance Panama Canal sailing.  They just discussed that.

I read the thread... no time mentioned,   just that they were eating dinner and it happened.

I'm trying to avoid that, and hoping someone can help me out and has an idea of the timing.

Thanks though

2 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

I read the thread... no time mentioned,   just that they were eating dinner and it happened.

I'm trying to avoid that, and hoping someone can help me out and has an idea of the timing.

Thanks though

I thought someone said 5 pm.  Captain announced.

Did this cruise 4 times this winter and we passed under the bridge at 6:30 pm like clockwork for a 4:00 departure. Even I was surprised it took that long. The first time as I was out on the helicopter pad at 5 pm. 🤦

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deepcman said:

Did this cruise 4 times this winter and we passed under the bridge at 6:30 pm like clockwork for a 4:00 departure. Even I was surprised it took that long. The first time as I was out on the helicopter pad at 5 pm. 🤦

approximately 6:30 sounds right, maybe as late as 7:00. Our table was done with dinner and about to eat dessert. One of our table mates jumped up and ran out to catch it.

It takes 2 - 2.5 hours from the time you leave the port until you pass under the Skyway Bridge. This has been consistent on every cruise I have taken out of Port Tampa (roughly 12 cruises). The only variable is what time the ship actually leaves the port. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

You're a VIP, doesn't the Captain ask you what time is convenient for you?  😉 😄

• Haha 5

Tampa Bay can be deceiving because it looks like a large bay that one might think ships could sail anywhere when in reality there are very narrow channels through the bay.  In many places the channel is wide enough for one ship going in one direction with only a couple of spots where ships can pass if going the opposite direction.

From C-MAP:

image.thumb.jpeg.e597d82eb9c036b9057a311d2e790af1.jpeg

Cruise ships start near the upper right heading to the bridge near the lower left. 

Once you zoom in you can see the narrow channels through the bay.

image.thumb.jpeg.163447b6b5800d8c1136ef3833efc6f8.jpeg

There are cargo, tanker and container ships that use several smaller terminals.  This can impact a cruise ship departure if an incoming ship has already begun it's transit, depending on the area  it is heading to.

It's not a straight shot either.  There are a number of course adjustments during the transit.  As a result ships move at slow speeds.  Enough to be maneuverable but not so fast as to run the risk of leaving the channel when adjusting heading.

image.thumb.jpeg.3cbda06bcf5a2b99652b93df0b8e3115.jpeg

In the winter months it's common to leave in bright sunshine and reach the bridge in darkness which has its own appeal due to the bridge lighting system.  

It can be cool at times of the year, as in chilly.  

Often a Captain will estimate the bridge time during their pre-departure announcement.  

Either a very early time or a later dining time are safe bets but there is no guarantee either will end before the bridge is reached.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Tampa Bay can be deceiving because it looks like a large bay that one might think ships could sail anywhere when in reality there are very narrow channels through the bay.  In many places the channel is wide enough for one ship going in one direction with only a couple of spots where ships can pass if going the opposite direction.

From C-MAP:

image.thumb.jpeg.e597d82eb9c036b9057a311d2e790af1.jpeg

Cruise ships start near the upper right heading to the bridge near the lower left. 

Once you zoom in you can see the narrow channels through the bay.

image.thumb.jpeg.163447b6b5800d8c1136ef3833efc6f8.jpeg

There are cargo, tanker and container ships that use several smaller terminals.  This can impact a cruise ship departure if an incoming ship has already begun it's transit, depending on the area  it is heading to.

It's not a straight shot either.  There are a number of course adjustments during the transit.  As a result ships move at slow speeds.  Enough to be maneuverable but not so fast as to run the risk of leaving the channel when adjusting heading.

image.thumb.jpeg.3cbda06bcf5a2b99652b93df0b8e3115.jpeg

In the winter months it's common to leave in bright sunshine and reach the bridge in darkness which has its own appeal due to the bridge lighting system.  

It can be cool at times of the year, as in chilly.  

Often a Captain will estimate the bridge time during their pre-departure announcement.  

Either a very early time or a later dining time are safe bets but there is no guarantee either will end before the bridge is reached.

thanks twangster,  that's good to know...   it's a November sailing so it will likely be dark, but either way we all want to be up there, but don't want to all run out of our chops reservation hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We always have dinner in the Windjammer the first night so there is no conflict with the bridge. The fifteen minutes prior to reaching it is a lot of fun, so make sure to be up there early.  I set my alarm for 4:15 a.m. on debarkation day once to see the bridge again as we entered. It was pitch black, absolutely silent, and only one other couple was watching with us.  Every bit as special, but in a different way. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We always have dinner in the Windjammer the first night so there is no conflict with the bridge. The fifteen minutes prior to reaching it is a lot of fun, so make sure to be up there early.  I set my alarm for 4:15 a.m. on debarkation day once to see the bridge again as we entered. It was pitch black, absolutely silent, and only one other couple was watching with us.  Every bit as special, but in a different way. 

Exactly what we do.  😉   

On our last bridge pass, it was at 5:30 pm.   

I also try to book starboard side cabin to watch the sunset from our balcony.  That and passing under the awesome bridge, always a delight for first night!  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Approximately two hours after the ship leaves the dock.

Posted (edited)

On our last cruise out of Tampa on Serenade it was 7:00 pm.  We had an early dinner and had about 15 minutes to spare to get a good spot.

Edited by mafig

Indeed.   It all depends on when the ship actually leaves the dock.   And figure in weather, ship traffic, etc.   2-2.5 hours later.  

Best to listen to the captain announce when the pass under will be.  Captain is surprisingly right each time we have gone under the beautiful bridge.  🙂 

We sailed into Tampa in October onnthe Radiance after a Canal transit.  I slept.  But on the Brilliance December 29, 2018, we wentvto muster, the old one, and the captain did his usual announcements and then said the coast guard had closed the port and we wouldn't sail forca while because of fog!  We all were confused as it looked sunny to us.  Well while it was clear at the port the bridge was fogged in.  Didn't sail until after 12 noon the next day!. Got to the bridge around 3:30 the next day.  And since we couldn't leave the 3 ships to enter the next morning didn’t start sailing in until we and the Rhapsody sailed under the bridge.  

Missed a port but captain sailed along Cancun at midnight so we could watch the fireworks from the hotels at midnight new years eve.  Really nice show.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:26 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Normally 2 1/2 to 3 hours. We had a 5PM departure and we cruised under the bridge about 750PM.

Thank you for the reminder of going under the bridge. I’ll be doing it twice return, once on Carnival and once on Royal.  Also, I’ve travelled on the bridge when my parents had a winter place in Ellenton. It’s a beautiful bridge. 

57 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you for the reminder of going under the bridge. I’ll be doing it twice return, once on Carnival and once on Royal.  Also, I’ve travelled on the bridge when my parents had a winter place in Ellenton. It’s a beautiful bridge. 

I have always wanted to be driving over the bridge while a ship was passing underneath, but there is no way to get the timing right to do that. 

One time, years ago, the Captain hit the horn and held it for an extended period of time while the ship was passing underneath. Never happened again, and I suspect that is not allowed. Imagine what it was like for the motorists driving above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have always wanted to be driving over the bridge while a ship was passing underneath, but there is no way to get the timing right to do that. 

One time, years ago, the Captain hit the horn and held it for an extended period of time while the ship was passing underneath. Never happened again, and I suspect that is not allowed. Imagine what it was like for the motorists driving above. 

I imagine the sound of the horn scared a few drivers!  
Even if you could be driving on the bridge as a ship passed under, you wouldn’t be able to stop for pictures…☺️