first and last Beyond cruise

After 9 cruises on Equinox we were on Beyond in March, 2024.  We did not care for the layout of the ship and felt it was very impersonal.  We have Reflection booked for our next cruise.  

• Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 1:36 PM, 39august said:

Elite Plus, so have some experiences for comparisons. What we liked about Beyond: Eden, Oceanview Cafe, 4 MDR experience, and the Infinite Veranda cabin.. Of course, it's not a veranda at all, but a mini sun room. There is actually more storage space in the closet than pictures seem to show. The staff was incredible ship wide. That's it. The ship was loud over all and very dark in some areas such as  WCB. Craft Social is ridiculously small for such a large ship. A lot of areas encouraged use of stairs. Those at the Martini Bar seemed dangerous. And speaking of dangerous, who in the heck thought that dark maze approach to Eden was a good idea?! If no one has been badly injured there, I am surprised! Shows were strong on effects with the amazing lights and screens. however, only 2 production shows each of our two back to back cruises. Using acrobatics in all shows seemed redundant. Seemed as if every time I wanted to take a drink into the Club,to escape the noise of Craft Social,  it was not open. Just didn't like the layout of the ship and the noise. Have Eclipse, Reflection and Silhoutte booked for the future. 

You listed a lot of good, and important things, staff, cabin and food being good etc. 

You listed a couple of issues like one bar being too small and a big what if, not I fell going to Eden, but you could potentially fall.

Not discrediting your opinion, but if certainly doesn't read like it adds up to a 'never again'.

• Like 3

A never again club membership is a great idea.  Sign me up. 

I disliked so many things on the EDGE….the incessant loud music, the poorly-designed handicapped access, the gray decor, the freezing dark cave-like Club,but mostly the lack of a view toward the front of the ship.  One and done.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

I am 69, I look and feel 60 and I have done 45 cruises.  I love things old and new. In the past we have loved all the celebrity ships but new things appeal to me more than old and ragged.  

I don't think there's anything "ragged" about S class ships.   Newer is not necessarily better in our minds.  We also will never sail Edge class again.  Loud, not easily navigable, chairs in most areas uncomfortable, can't believe how heavy the MDR chairs are (and I am not weak), specialty restaurants Fine Cut and Le Petit not up to X standards at all both meals mediocre and the noise from the martini area made it impossible to hear across the table.  Seating in the "Club" horrible, so few seats have decent viewing of whatever is going on in the center, huge waste of space.  

We liked the theater.  

Our next cruise is on the Equinox coming out of drydock tomorrow, so shouldn't look too old and raggedy......😁

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I don't think there's anything "ragged" about S class ships.   Newer is not necessarily better in our minds.  We also will never sail Edge class again.  Loud, not easily navigable, chairs in most areas uncomfortable, can't believe how heavy the MDR chairs are (and I am not weak), specialty restaurants Fine Cut and Le Petit not up to X standards at all both meals mediocre and the noise from the martini area made it impossible to hear across the table.  Seating in the "Club" horrible, so few seats have decent viewing of whatever is going on in the center, huge waste of space.  

We liked the theater.  

Our next cruise is on the Equinox coming out of drydock tomorrow, so shouldn't look too old and raggedy......😁

I like the S class ships,but because of Covid many have not been in dry dock and the furnishings need to be replaced! That's what I meant about old and ragged!  Luckily everyone does not like the same things!  

37 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

I like the S class ships,but because of Covid many have not been in dry dock and the furnishings need to be replaced! That's what I meant about old and ragged!  Luckily everyone does not like the same things!  

After 5 years the furnishing on E class ship will also appear to be old and ragged 😁

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

After 5 years the furnishing on E class ship will also appear to be old and ragged 😁

And the Edge is already 6 years old......give it a pass for now because of the 18 month Covid shutdown....but getting close!! 

I so very, very much prefer S and M class over E class.  So much more of a 'traditional' cruise experience.  E class is noisy, crowded, bling over comfort.  Would never, ever sail in an infinite balcony as I spend literally hours on my balcony relaxing, reading, etc..  I have (and may in the future due to lack of choices) sailed in E class, but will only do so if I can be in a suite.  And even then, will spend the majority of the time in the suite areas.

• Like 3

My "never again" is because of the incessant noise, some very dark areas, too many specialty bars and not enough places to get a "regular" drink, (Club seldom open for 5ish drinks, also quite frigid in there), not enough use of the theater optics, ( 2 shows per cruise), general layout seems awkward, too many stairs in so many areas, too many outdoor bars means not enough indoor bars, and Craft Social way too small to handle prime time drinks. Also LOUD. I don't like sitting outdoors in the wind for a drink, thus my take on too many outdoor bars and not enough indoor bars. Anyway, we did have a fun cruise most of the time. But surely not as much fun as we have experienced on the S class ships. Just personal preferences. But posted to let people know what we experienced on Beyond. 

• Like 7

On this thread, and others, I note many posters indicating the E Class will not be booked or not rebooked due to the lack of a forward view for all.

I will never book the E class because of Celebrity's decision to remove this Fundamental part of a ship, access for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will be sailing the Edge at the end of May.  We are in a Magic Carpet SS.  We originally got a very good price, and then 6 months later, saved another $3K. This may be our 1st and last time in "The Retreat" because they seem to be charging stupid expensive prices and then removing services. I can get a similar service experience that we want in Concierge Class.  We shall see if the lounge and Luminae are worth it. 

I really love love love the S Class ships.  I love the M class as well, but they are getting older now.  S class will probably be our first choice from now on. 

I think on E class the IV cabins will be great in cooler/wetter climate areas like Alaska.  But it isn't a balcony, it is an Oceanview window that opens.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 12:56 AM, joydivision84 said:

You listed a lot of good, and important things, staff, cabin and food being good etc. 

You listed a couple of issues like one bar being too small and a big what if, not I fell going to Eden, but you could potentially fall.

Not discrediting your opinion, but if certainly doesn't read like it adds up to a 'never again'.

You don’t need to have actually fallen to be concerned about that dark hallway. The fear of falling is enough to keep me out of it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

You don’t need to have actually fallen to be concerned about that dark hallway. The fear of falling is enough to keep me out of it

Especially if people have balance or walking issues.

• Like 2

We were on the brand new,  stunning Beyond on the first Mediterranean cruise following the maiden voyage.  
We liked the 4 dining rooms and some of the new features; theatre, Eden lunch room etc.  Hoever ship was loud and had annoying, pulsating music everywhere, even on top deck outside.  Also we found seating furniture extremely uncomfortable everywhere.

Unless we read or hear that these issues improved on E-class, we stick with S ships and some other cruise lines.

• Like 5

Reading this thread, I can see why Celebrity made the E class different...they can't keep catering to an older and older crowd.  

Complaints about music etc...younger folks like music...I'm 60 and I like to hear music around the pool etc...at my house, there is music going around my pool when I'm out there...

They do have the solarium on these ships if you want tranquility...puts me to sleep.  

Choices are good..glad Celebrity made this one.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Some might love it. I have a kid in my class who loves dark spaces. Not all autism looks the same.

Fair point.  I should have said that I would hate to take a frightened child through it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Reading this thread, I can see why Celebrity made the E class different...they can't keep catering to an older and older crowd.  

Complaints about music etc...younger folks like music...I'm 60 and I like to hear music around the pool etc...at my house, there is music going around my pool when I'm out there...

They do have the solarium on these ships if you want tranquility...puts me to sleep.  

I like music around my  pool too and in my house....but not to the point where speaking to others has to be near shouting and or also entertaining my neighbors it's so loud......which is what I found on E class ships.....

Just one of the many things we didn't like on Apex....

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Sorry, don't buy the 'old guy' doesn't get it. Hear this always when tech fails (which it often does) I don't love tech but understand it as well as any user should be expected to (don't get me started).  We aren't fans of the E Class but have booked HAL precisley because of good LOUD live music.....BB Kings /Rolling Stone....bring it on. Just don't need loud bad music as we experienced on two E Class cruises.  JMHO

• Like 3

On 5/15/2024 at 3:01 AM, Alakegirl said:

A never again club membership is a great idea.  Sign me up. 

I disliked so many things on the EDGE….the incessant loud music, the poorly-designed handicapped access, the gray decor, the freezing dark cave-like Club,but mostly the lack of a view toward the front of the ship.  One and done.

Bye.......

I've been on Beyond and Ascent with another Beyond this summer.  I have been in suites so I really enjoy the E class.  My suite trip on Equinox was not so special because there is no retreat pool deck.  I've booked Reflection 4 night in a concierge this fall so I will see how that goes.  But if I travel in Retreat again it will have to be E class.