The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 19th, 2024

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

396442421_780793764057892_462358797939520994_n.jpg.27172d88688fe193c1e81a9c65fd336a.jpg

Lenda

OK, it took me a few hundred microseconds to get this one, but it is hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Good afternoon.  It is sunny but with a thin cloud layer.  The driveway is clean, and it only took about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish,  That's a lot better than last year that took three days because it had been too long between cleanings.  Since our driveway slopes, it too at least two passes to get the dirt up the slope and in the street.  I need to run a few errands, and then I plan to take it easy the rest of the day.

5 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Three nice days to recognize.  I’m also celebrating my nephew Nick who is graduating from Notre Dame as I type this!  I wish him much success in his career and life!  The quote is humorous.  I think that both the meal suggestion and drink sound like winners.  I haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events! 🍾🎉

Congratulations to your nephew Nick on his graduation from Notre Dame.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The Boys & Girls Clubs do great work for inner city children and we support them fully.  I don't think I need to be tested for hepatitis, as we've had shots for all kinds.  I had no idea what May Ray day was, thanks for the explanation.  I always enjoyed Jay Leno's humour; often it was intellectual and not vulgar at all.

The dining room table and floor are covered in plants as the forecast for last night was only +2C (35) which meant because we are a bit lower, the plants could have frozen, even on the deck.  Thankfully we haven't bought all the baskets, etc., for the yard, or we'd have had a full kitchen as well.  I think next weekend (after DH's procedure) we may go out and buy the rest of the plants that are needed.

DH's daughter and a friend are flying to Puerto Vallarta today so the DD can get dental work done (apparently it's less than half the cost, even with flights and hotels).  At 4:15 this morning I received a text from her saying they were at the airport.  Normally I turn my phone off before going to bed, but last night I forgot, so I've been awake for a while already and think a nap is in my future this afternoon.

@1ANGELCATsending prayers for your friend Shirl; it can't be easy for her or her son.  I hope she's able to have a smooth transition into a facility that will provide the care she needs.

@Cruzin Terrisorry to hear you've been under the weather, I hope you're on the road to recovery now.

@dfishI love the furniture you've chosen - along with the fire table, it makes for a very inviting place to relax at any time of the day!

@JazzyVI was thinking about how early you have to pick up BFF to get him to the hospital - would it be an option for you to stay at his place overnight, rather than getting up in the middle of the night to pick him up?

@marshhawksounds like Momma Cat is really into tough love!!!

@Mr. Bostoncongratulations to your nephew on his graduation!

Not a lot happening here, we're just going to continue with the juices, fruit, and whatever else we can to help get rid of DH's cold.  So far he's not really coughing, so that's a good thing.  I may go out for a walk to the park later this afternoon, depending on the weather. 

Walking.jpg.7a8ffedb4cee190809b02986aa08ddb8.jpg

I'd like to try the drink of the day, do enjoy Merlot, and will take down the recipe for the salmon (minus the avocado) for future reference.  DH has requested burgers for dinner, so I'll thaw some ground beef and put a couple of patties in the George Foreman that will be served along with pan fried potatoes and a side salad at the kitchen table tonight.   And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I hope all your TLC pays off and your DH can have his much needed surgery Tuesday.

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Sunday. The ice didn’t break yesterday and probably won’t for a bit because the forecast is just for the low to mid 90’s for the next ten days. 

Today we are taking our DD and her SO out for pizza along with her DS, our DGS, and my DM. This is to celebrate their birthdays and Mother’s Day that we missed. It should be fun. 

Not much else happening. I make a salmon bowl occasionally and I think I’ve posted the recipe before but here it is again. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/salmon-and-veggie-grain-bowl-3409067
It uses faro instead of rice which I think makes it much better. You can use any grain you like or cauliflower rice like Debbie @dfishsuggested. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, what a great way to celebrate birthdays and Mother's Day.  Enjoy your pizza and family.

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy Sunday morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I think almost every day here in AZ we celebrate May Ray Day and I will toast the other 2 days.  I smiled at the quote.  The meals sounds good, I think I had the Caipirnha on my Amazon River Cruise so I could try the Caipiroska.  Wine sounds good and I have not been to the port. Interesting day in history.

IMG_7828.thumb.JPG.8c61ea2afbc8a38020de3dbb61f82c36.JPG

Had a good day yesterday.  I drove to the PO as I had a box to mail (it was a bucal swab for an Alzheimer’s Prevention Registry GeneMatch).  A little slow getting in and out of the car (and differently than I normally get in and out) but it was nice to get behind the wheel.  I noticed when I got home, though, someone had come into my little patio at some time and took my clothes soap - but not my dryer sheets (my W&D are outside) - and had taken the stuff I had in a storage container (gardening stuff, bird feed, and cat food) out and taken the container!!!  I didn't notice anything else missing but I just felt violated and really ticked me off.  So I ordered a gate lock and a battery operated motion light from A.  One will arrive today and the other tomorrow.  We will see if I can install the light myself or.............🤷‍♀️ 

IMG_7829.thumb.JPG.1d015ee380bd15190f2e37fd3156e442.JPG

Today, I will try to get out and do some walking.  The goal is to be able to walk a mile by time I have my post op appt on May 29th.  I have walking sticks and I think I will take them to the river walk we have here.  We will see if I complete that task today.  Or maybe the farmer's market.  

IMG_7830.JPG.d6c44ca5c1c6b30d80d0e40774f14edf.JPG

@dfish I love the patio furniture!!  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating!  Have a great day everyone.

Pennie, I'm glad your recovery is going so well after a rough start.  Please be careful and don't over do.  Yikes 😱 on someone invading your private space and stealing from you.  I hope the lock and the light will be a good deterrent for the future.  You might want to mention the invasion to the management of your apartment.

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Thanks to all for commenting on our wedding anniversary. We hope to continue to celebrate all year long as our special anniversary dinner at a favorite restaurant was a bust. A long wait for a table, restaurant was out of our favorite dinner (salmon) & loud, rude couples at the next table.

Thanks to those “stay at home” pandemic days with time to study the cruise catalogs, we booked a cruise on Oceania’s Marina, London-London later in the summer. Looking forward to 45 days of delicious dinners! 

Thank you, Graham for the link to the sermon today. Prayers and kindness to all. 

I'm sorry your anniversary dinner was not what you expected.  Glad you have a great cruise to look forward to later this summer.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the boys and girls club. Testing for hepatitis is important, to prevent long-term liver disease. I didn't know what May Ray Day was, until Graham's explanation. I don't think the quote is funny. I'll pass on the meal (fish), maybe for the drink, and yes to the wine. I haven't been to the Conflict Islands PNG. A good day in history. 

It's going to be pretty warm and sunny here today. It's already 76F. I slept pretty well last night. I made an early quick trip to Aldi for a few things. There were people all around my neighborhood; I thought the annual garage sale was yesterday, but it's two days I guess. I'm going to rest up again, as my knee and shoulder are bothering me. The shoulder from using the cane to go up stairs and putting a lot of weight on it; my right leg is still weak for stairs, and I need clearance before I can go back to PT. BFF has said I only need to stay with him until evening after his surgery; I told him I'd not be happy if he needed help during the night and I wasn't there, so no deal. He stayed with me for 2 weeks after my surgery!

@grapau27 Thanks for The link and also the explanation of Ray Day.

@StLouisCruisers I hope you get to visit Cobh; it's a lovely city I visited last year on my TA. 

@MISTER 67 Welcome back, and I'm glad you had a good cruise.

@RedneckBob Good one!

@1ANGELCAT Prayers for Shirl. It's a difficult issue. I was lucky that when my DM could no longer live alone, she didn't object to me bringing her from NJ to PA.

@Cruzin Terri I'm sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well. Prayers for a complete recovery soon.

@dfish Congrats on defeating the furniture and getting it assembled. Your deck and patio look great! 

@marshhawk I hope the days ahead get a bit easier.

@Quartzsite Cruiser You've been very industrious with all the cleaning you're doing; where do you get the energy for all that? 

@Mr. Boston Congratulations to your nephew Nick! 🎓

@ger_77 That's a thought. I'd been contemplating having to get up around 3:15 am (going to bed at 9, but who knows if I could sleep?). It's about a 25 minute drive to his house, but at 4 am should be faster. Prayers that DH's cold won't delay his surgery.

@RMLincoln Good luck with your travel planning. 

@Sharon in AZ Enjoy the time out with family and pizza.

@Nickelpenny I'm glad you're doing well. I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks after the surgery, and it's still somewhat uncomfortable at the incision site against the seat back (I keep changing the position of it). Oh my on someone stealing from you; you're right to feel violated. I don't have anything outside much, but I do have cameras all around the outside of the house, and a motion detector floodlight on the garage.

@Norseh2o Sorry to hear your Anniversary dinner wasn't what it should have been. Enjoy the cruise later this summer.

@kazu Prayers for an answer for your foot pain.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I guess I'm lucky that I'm still able to do a lot of things.  Often, it's because I don't like to pay someone to do what I am capable of doing.  Also, as far as the yard, I haven't found anyone who will do it the way I want it done.  When we're not here we do pay a neighbor to mow and trim.

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments about our new patio furniture.  We are thrilled!

@JazzyV I think you are correct in wanting to stay with BFF the night after surgery.  That is the usual recommendation anyways.  I had to fudge a bit when I had the parathyroid gland surgery as Sue wasn't here full time yet.  That was a very easy surgery and they did recommend that someone be here overnight.  

@1ANGELCAT Poor Shirl.  None of us want to recognize that we could reach that point, but it does happen. My BIL's mother was that way.  And she was very distrustful of BIL.  

@Nickelpenny What a low thing to do - steal someone's laundry supplies.  Sometimes it is surprising who the person is that does that.  I think the lock and light will help.  Glad to hear that your recovery is moving along well.  You want to be well for November 2025!  

@Cruzin Terri I hope you are feeling better soon.   Don't rush things,but do get well.

@RMLincoln I think it would be fun if you came on the Zuiderdam Boston-Quebec-Boston cruise.  However, Ireland is fantastic.  I didn't find the driving that difficult, but it has been several years.  My mom's side of the family came from the Abbeyfeale area where counties Limerick, Cork, and Kerry meet.  

My pool time was a fact finding mission.  I determined that the water is truly way too shallow to even try the water fitness classes.  If I kneel on the pool floor it would be the right depth, but who jogs on their knees?  I walked the lazy river, but with the shallow water there I did start to develop pain in my lower back and my neck after a while.  This lazy river is about 6 inches shallower than the one I used in Ohio.  

Debbie, I hope you can figure a way to get the water exercises you need, even if it means paying to join another gym.  

5 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

OK, it took me a few hundred microseconds to get this one, but it is hilarious.

In all honesty, it took me a couple of looks to catch onto the meme.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the Day - 2019 Merlot

My congratulations to @cat shepard for decoding this one.  I also have to say that the wine on which she reported is excellent.

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars is located in the Stags Leap District of Napa Valley.  One of their neighbors is Stags' Leap Winery.  Notice the location of the apostrophe in the names of the wineries.  That is the result of a terrific story.

Both wineries were founded in the early 1970.  Warren Winiarski and Stag's Leap Wine Cellars achieved significant acclaim when their 1973 Cabernet Sauvignon was judged to be superior to First Growth Bordeaux wines in the 1976 "Judgement in Paris."  After that Winiarski was perturbed by the fact that his similarly named neighbors winery might be confused by consumers, and, so, his winery may not be getting the reputational benefit that it deserved from their international victory.  So, he sued his Stag's Leap Winery, owned by Carl Doumani, insisting that its name should be changed..

The case ended up in the California Supreme Court.  The final decision might not reach the level of Solomon resolving the dispute between mothers, but I thought it was pretty good.  The court decided that since both wineries were founded in 1970, neither had precedence entitling them to exclusive us of the geographic reference, Stags Leap District, in their name.  (Note that there is no apostrophe in Stags Leap District.)  The decision was that Doumani's winery would move the apostrophe to the other side of the "s"--i.e., they changed from "Stag's Leap Winery" to "Stags' Leap Winery."  The court felt that would provide enough difference in the names.

Here is the best part.  Subsequently, neighbors Winiarski and Doumani became good friends.  They co-released a 1985 Cabernet Sauvignon called "Accord" for which each provided 50% of the grapes.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Today's sunrise is from my 2019 Queen Mary 2 transatlantic.  On May 2019 we were around the midpoint of the journey from Ssouthampton to New  York:

dawn0519.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

When TPTB recommended Hepatitis C testing for everyone in my age range, my doctor added to the list for my next blood draw. He mentioned that, out here in the sticks, he had never had a patient's test come back positive.

Yes on the salmon rice bowl, and I agree that farro might be good instead of rice. Or pearl couscous. Pass on the drink. Merlot will mature in slightly cooler conditions than Cabernet Sauvignon, with which it's often blended, and it does well here. I tend to avoid it as a 100% varietal, but we might try the 2021 from Wagner Vineyards. "Medium body, bursting with aromas of cherries and dark stone fruits. Classic flavors of black cherries, plums & a hint of dark chocolate," $18.99.

This afternoon I was at a cabaret performance of music by Irving Berlin, a fund-raising event for the synagogue. The four singers have worked together in musical comedy many times, and the program was wonderful. I was surprised that the two women made full costume changes for every number (they alternated with one or both of the men, who just wore black shirts and trousers and added jackets or vests for some). There was a dessert buffet; I would rather have had wine and cheese than tea and cookies, but I had two cookies at the intermission and have felt queasy ever since.

baddrivers.jpg.334dc99967241baebd995d9afb7a42fb.jpg

• Like 17

I have to admit that I never knew that there was a day in May for those named Ray.  It is something that I will try to forget after today.  

Often people have thought that my name was short for Raymond.  However, my mother was named Rachel so she decided to call her son Ray.

Ray

• Like 11

Good evening. We had a nice time with family this afternoon. The pizza was delicious. Craig was taking the picture. My DM loves her wine. 

06C03980-E792-4A17-B2AD-1959DC935C15.thumb.jpeg.3984add6bff262263a517f58e2f86ec1.jpeg

@XBGuy, I enjoyed reading about Stags Leap and find it interesting that after all that hoopla over a name they became friends. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening. We had a nice time with family this afternoon. The pizza was delicious. Craig was taking the picture. My DM loves her wine. 

06C03980-E792-4A17-B2AD-1959DC935C15.thumb.jpeg.3984add6bff262263a517f58e2f86ec1.jpeg

@XBGuy, I enjoyed reading about Stags Leap and find it interesting that after all that hoopla over a name they became friends. 

Lovely photo Sharon.

• Like 4