Excursion Weight Restriction

My wife and I have been on several cruises but we have our first Celebrity cruise booked for Sept. We have done lots of excursions in a lot of different ports. In all of those situations I have seen 2-3 total that have a weight restriction. Usually bicycles or segways. We have been trying to find excursions through Celebrity for our next cruise and I am blown away at how many have a 250lb weight limit. Things I have done several places like a sunset cruise on a sailboat. Why would this have a weight limit???  If you over 6 feet and have any size at all you a going to be over 250. 

Do they really enforce these weight limits? I understand for something that involves a piece of equipment (i.e. the bicycle or segway, although I have done both with other cruise lines) that may have a weight limit but a sailboat or catamaran, I just don't understand. 

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The restrictions are determined by the tour operator, many times to satisfy their insurance carrier.

You don't think Carnival and other lines use these same tour operators? I have done these exact same excursions through Carnival and no one ever mentioned weight. I have been on numerous excursions through Carnival and met people who where on RC, Celebrity, Princess, etc. I just don't understand why the other lines don't list a weight restriction. 

Posted (edited)

Have been on many excursions as well both through the cruise line and private tours.  I have never, ever seen anyone weighed prior to an excursion, much less turned away.  We have a helicopter excursion booked for next week in Juneau.  There is an upcharge for passengers who exceed 250 lbs. but not an exclusion.  Again, not sure if they will actually make us step on a scale or if it's the honor system on the info. sheet.  If its the honor system, then I'm sure most people weigh 249lbs. or less.  I fully intend to declare my precruise weight....😎

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Why crowd source speculation.  Just call Celebrity and get their official answer. 

Their official answer will be due to safety...which is always their official answer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Why crowd source speculation.  Just call Celebrity and get their official answer. 

Their official answer is "the weight limit is 250 pounds". They are not going to contradict what the website says. I was just hoping to get some first-hand experience from some of my fellow fluffy cruisers to see if they had pushed this restriction and if so were they successful. 

I get your point OP, my dad was 6' 7" and close to 300lbs... and there was absolutely nothing overweight about him.

But I can see the tour operators being reluctant, because tall isn't usually the reason...or the norm these days.

• Like 1

Then let's make this as simple as possible: their excursion= their rules. Don't like the rules= look for a different excursion company. As Jelayne mentioned, restrictions or exclusions are usually a matter of potential liability. Liability coverage would be a part of any contract between an operator and a cruiseline. But those contracts may vary from one line to another and from one operator (and their own insurers) to another.

Practically speaking, where would you expect them to draw the line? It may have little to do with the actual weight, but much more with the ability to manoever on, off, and around the boat safely. You may be 6' 2"" and 300 lb in fine athletic form. But what about the 5' 6" 300 pounder who can barely walk down a hallway inassisted,  let alone manage narrow, steep stairs or ladders on a rolling boat?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, newcruzer2 said:

I get your point OP, my dad was 6' 7" and close to 300lbs... and there was absolutely nothing overweight about him.

But I can see the tour operators being reluctant, because tall isn't usually the reason...or the norm these days.

Imo, you have the winning answer.  The tour operators have to have insurance and the insurance companies set the “rules”.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mom says said:

Then let's make this as simple as possible: their excursion= their rules. Don't like the rules= look for a different excursion company. As Jelayne mentioned, restrictions or exclusions are usually a matter of potential liability. Liability coverage would be a part of any contract between an operator and a cruiseline. But those contracts may vary from one line to another and from one operator (and their own insurers) to another.

Practically speaking, where would you expect them to draw the line? It may have little to do with the actual weight, but much more with the ability to manoever on, off, and around the boat safely. You may be 6' 2"" and 300 lb in fine athletic form. But what about the 5' 6" 300 pounder who can barely walk down a hallway inassisted,  let alone manage narrow, steep stairs or ladders on a rolling boat?

And also practically speaking, what if a 5/6' 120 lb person can barely walk down a hallway unassisted, let alone manage narrow, steep stairs or ladders on a rolling boat?  I agree it's their excursion and their rules.  But I disagree that tour operators would have different restrictions based on the cruiselines .  There is zero logic to that.  I guess we need to remember that this is the cruise line that has eliminated footstools and loungers on balconies for "safety" reasons.  They are covering their you-know-whats six ways from Sunday, while their parent company is still putting footstools and loungers on their newest ships.  There is zero logic to that either.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

My wife and I have been on several cruises but we have our first Celebrity cruise booked for Sept. We have done lots of excursions in a lot of different ports. In all of those situations I have seen 2-3 total that have a weight restriction. Usually bicycles or segways. We have been trying to find excursions through Celebrity for our next cruise and I am blown away at how many have a 250lb weight limit. Things I have done several places like a sunset cruise on a sailboat. Why would this have a weight limit???  If you over 6 feet and have any size at all you a going to be over 250. 

Do they really enforce these weight limits? I understand for something that involves a piece of equipment (i.e. the bicycle or segway, although I have done both with other cruise lines) that may have a weight limit but a sailboat or catamaran, I just don't understand. 

My brother often travels with us. He is 380 pounds, which is WAY above the 250 weight limit on many excursions, but he has never been turned away. I'm sure it could happen though. My traveling companion is 265 pounds, so only a little over the limit. And because of his height, he doesn't look 265, and we book excursions all the time that have a 250 weight limit, and no one ever bats an eye. We've had no problems.

I look at it this way. If the restriction is 250lbs and you get hurt or die on the excursion. The insurance company is off the hook. You signed a contract knowing the rules.

• Like 1

not just insurance..we had a tram tour on Grand Cayman..   supposed to fit 4 or 5 across the bench seat.m and had a wt limit...

having a few oversized folks take up the seats..max 3 across, left everyone else squashed up..was not pleasant...

• Like 3

We have been on small planes in Africa flying between camps. Our tour company asked everyone what their  weight was. They need to know as it is a safety thing.  Depending on weights it could mean the aircraft would have to take on less passengers. 

Sometimes it is arbitrary, such as an age limit on a snorkeling excursion where my husband was 6 months over the age limit but a strong swimmer; whereas I was 12 months under the age limit and a very weak swimmer. I could go and drown on my own because he was not there to assist me.

Other times it is for safety reasons, such as helicopters or small planes. 

Not always fair but the provider sets the rules and if you are booking through Celebrity then you don't have much choice. Otherwise, look for a private excursion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have a helicopter excursion booked for next week in Juneau.  There is an upcharge for passengers who exceed 250 lbs. but not an exclusion.  Again, not sure if they will actually make us step on a scale or if it's the honor system on the info. sheet.  If it’s the honor system, then I'm sure most people weigh 249lbs. or less.  I fully intend to declare my precruise weight....😎

We took a helicopter excursion out of Juneau in the past where each passenger was required to step on a scale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not weight related, but age related.  My wife & I are 77 years old, and really enjoy the Golden Eagle Catamaran in St Marten.  Probably have been on that catamaran a dozen times over the years.  But, alas, a few years ago, they set a 75 year old age limit on the excursion.  No way around it.  It is a Celebrity Shore Excursion, and they know our age, so when we go to book it, it just says "Sorry, you are too old".  It is really a bummer, but insurance sets the rules.  We love catamarans, and as of now, no other Caribbean island has an age limit on any of their catamarans, so we are good, except for the Golden Eagle in St Maarten which we really loved.  We are both in great shape, and excellent swimmers, but ........................Oh Well

6 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

Been on many celebrity excursions and one of us is above the limit substantially. Never has there been any weighing or denying but there have been surprises. One was on a sailboat in the Canary Islands. We got on dockside… but had to get off via a tiny zodiac. It took up to 3 pax at a time, until it came us. It could have been considered dangerous over 300 lbs. 

helicopter?  You will be weighed. 

one other, royal Caribbean, the crane you can ride on the quantum class ships has a weight limit, and they enforce it. Sad, because it holds like 10, so bigger could go if it was less crowded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beltsbear said:

helicopter?  You will be weighed.

As required by the FAA (in the U.S.) and any pilot or air carrier who wants to keep their operating certificate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

I understand the restriction on these totally. The bicycle and Segway will have weight limits on their specifications. To hire them out to people who exceed this limit could be seen as negligent. Probably, in reality, it is not enforced but if a clearly over the limit person arrives to collect a bicycle or Segway the company can then (sensibly) refuse.

Re sailboat or catamaran their life jackets will have a weight limit. Also you have to consider that worse case scenario of a heavy person being unconscious/in trouble in the water and staff having to haul them out.

Sadly many people will miss out on excursions because they are considered too old, have a back or neck issue, are too heavy. The bottom line seems to be liability. 

7 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I look at it this way. If the restriction is 250lbs and you get hurt or die on the excursion. The insurance company is off the hook. You signed a contract knowing the rules.

This seems to be something that people (after paying a fortune for an insurance policy) then ignore…We know a couple who took an off road jeep excursion, she jarred her neck and needed medical treatment which her company refused to pay for as she had previously seen her doctor for advice on back pain and had been diagnosed with osteoporosis. The excursion had clearly stated not suitable for anyone with neck, back issues.

Personally, whilst there is nothing nicer than being able to do what you want when you want I have no issue with a company placing whatever restrictions they feel maximise safety. I do feel for the strong swimming 78 year old and the 260lb would be sailor but….

8 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Imo, you have the winning answer.  The tour operators have to have insurance and the insurance companies set the “rules”.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Have been on many excursions as well both through the cruise line and private tours.  I have never, ever seen anyone weighed prior to an excursion, much less turned away.  We have a helicopter excursion booked for next week in Juneau.  There is an upcharge for passengers who exceed 250 lbs. but not an exclusion.  Again, not sure if they will actually make us step on a scale or if it's the honor system on the info. sheet.  If its the honor system, then I'm sure most people weigh 249lbs. or less.  I fully intend to declare my precruise weight....😎

I have seen people weighed for horseback riding and helicopter tours.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We did a helicopter excursion in Juneau and they did ask your weight but no scale was involved.  That was 8 days into a 10 day trip..... guess I lied since I gave them pre-cruise weight too!!😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

M Things I have done several places like a sunset cruise on a sailboat. Why would this have a weight limit???  If you over 6 feet and have any size at all you a going to be over 250. 

which sunset cruise (port) are you seeing the restriction and is there snorkeling involved too or just the ride?