richwmn

Today is Day of The Seafarer, Global Beatles Day, and Global Smurfs Day

Instant gratification takes too long. - Carrie Fisher

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian French Onion Soup
Drink of the Day - Tokyo Rendezvous
Wine of the Day - Black Box Pinot Grigio
Destination of the Day - Puerto Limon (San Jose), Costa Rica

Today in History:
1967 First global satellite television program: "Our World" broadcast features 19 acts representing 19 nations including The Beatles singing "All You Need Is Love"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Isle of Man, Peel-Douglas, UK 08:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 07:00 - 14:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 09:30 - 17:30

Westerdam

Kodiak Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-26

Zuiderdam

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland 07:00 - 16:00

0625World.thumb.png.c2b7f2487d85a4dcb5fb13bd9c9a3b43.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having foot pain

Cruzin Terri fatigued from Covid, possible bicep muscle tear

Lady Hudson’s friend having suffered a stroke, with some paralysis

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Catmando’s DB Scottie post stroke

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Crazy for Cats’ DH Juan!

Dfish heading to DS Barb’s lake house

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Rotterdam to June 29) 7d Norse Passage + (Zuiderdam June 29 to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Good morning friends!  This day started off early as we went to the Lido at opening time, ate and then went to wait in line for 30 minutes for our immigration slot card number.  After that we went and sat in Ocean Bar near the band area to wait for our immigration number to be called which took another 45 minutes.  Then a walk through the main dining room, deck 3 and have our passport checked out by one of the two UK immigration officials.   This whole process took 2 hours.  Then back to our room until we decided to head ashore.  The weather today is partly cloudy and 54F with a high of about 58 later.  My weather app says the sun might peep out just as we depart Stornoway at 6 p.m.   There was quite a long wait for a double decker shuttle bus at 9:45 a.m.   We only walked around the town  and stuck our heads into a craft show with local artisans with wares on display.  I would recommend a tour here if you plan on visiting Stornoway in the future. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Daily and Fleet report and the maps, too.  So glad to hear the internet will be working much better for you in the future.  That’s always good to hear.  I feel like a seafarer today so yay for the Day of the Seafarer.  Always happy to celebrate the Beatles but I don’t have any interest in smurfs.  An interesting take by Carrie Fisher on the quote.  I would probably enjoy the vegetarian French onion soup, probably wouldn’t like the cocktail, but would try the Black Box Pinot Grigio.  Wow on that TV program “Our World” in 1967!  I wonder if I watched it?  You’d think I’d remember  but I’m old!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports today.

Prayers for our Daily group on the Care list, my DB, Alex’s twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the military members in the region.  Extra thoughts and prayers for Tana.  A salute to everyone celebrating special events today and all the cruisers. Hope you have a nice birthday today Jake's @Crazy For Cats DH Juan!!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling the lists each day for us!

The port today is Puerto Limon (San Jose), Costa Rica.  The previous dates for that port were Nov 9, 2021 and Dec. 3, 2023.  I’ll provide the links for you.  No photos from me.  Thanks in advance for your own.

Hope all of you enjoy your Tuesday.  Try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

76 right now with a high of 88 with the usual afternoon showers.

We need the rain but sometimes it’s a bit much as it was cart paths only at our golf course yesterday and we slugged it around, I had a round last August when it was cart paths only and very hot even for Florida, I only made it through 15 holes as I had bout of heat exhaustion.

Interesting days.

I don’t care for the quote.

French onion soup is a favorite of mine.

We have been to Puerto Limon in Costa Rica. 
We decided to book a cruise with MSC on the Seashore out of Port Canaveral on August 4th, that’s not peak hurricane season so we should be OK. It’s an hour longer drive than our favorite Florida port of Port Everglades, I think we will drive over a day early.

Congrats to the Florida Panthers for winning their first Stanley Cup.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 28

Thank you for today's FR&D

It is cloudy and 68°F at the moment.

I called at the beach this morning after dropping Pauline off at work.

As 90% of trade is via the sea our Seafarers deserve at least a day of recognition.

We love the Beatles and visited the Beatles museum and the Cavern club in Liverpool as well as a mystery bus tour showing us their former homes and places of some of their songs like

Strawberry Fields.

Penny Lane.

Pauline likes French onion soup.

Thank you everyone for all of your lovely comments on My P&O Our Fantastic cruise on Arvia thread yesterday.

Prayers 🙏 that everyone will be well.

I wish you all a happy day.

IMG_20240625_074747.jpg

IMG_20240625_082336.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Three great days to celebrate., especially seafarers   Happy Birthday Jaun.  Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie, Ann, Catmando and his brother, and Tana.

I think the quote sounds a lot like Carrie Fisher...

Sadly, at least from my point of view, Puerto Limon seems to be the usual substitute port for cruises that cannot go to Key West.  I visited on the Eurodam in 2022 and Rotterdam in 2023.

A great day in television history,.

I’ll pass on the meal    My alternative is Kiel (aka Panama) rolls which I enjoyed on MS Prinsendam May 3, 2015.    

kielroll.jpg

Today will be hotter than yesterday but much better than tomorrow, and I will be inside with air conditioning by noon..

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Tokyo Rendezvous cocktail:

The Tokyo Rendezvous cocktail is a sophisticated and elegant drink that combines the smooth and complex flavor of Japanese liqueur with the floral notes of hibiscus gin. This cocktail is a perfect balance of sweet and sour, with a hint of bitterness from the gin, making it a popular choice for those who appreciate a well-crafted cocktail. The Tokyo Rendezvous cocktail was created by a mixologist in Tokyo, Japan, and has since become a favorite in bars and restaurants around the world.

Ingredients:

1 oz. lemon juice
1/2 hibiscus syrup
1 1/2 oz. hibiscus gin
1/2 oz. choya yuzu
2 dashes lavender bitters

Directions:

In a shaker filled with ice add all ingredients and shake well until chilled.
Rim a glass with sugar and strain the drink into it.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 7.01.25 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 21

Good morning, thanks for the Report.

Still hot here, chance of rain later today.  Nice breeze this morning when I walked Bertie.  Not sure what's on the agenda for us today.

I celebrate Seafarers, I like the Beatles music, I don't care for Smurfs.

A cynical quote.  I guess it's supposed to be witty but it seems to reflect the impatience of many.

Not a big fan of French Onion Soup (except for the cheesy top).  I'd like to try the drink and I know I like the wine.

We were in Puerto Limon many years ago on a partial Panama Canal cruise.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Congrats to the Panthers on their first Stanley Cup win.  Commiserations to the Oilers on a valiant attempt at winning the cup.

Have a terrific day.  Stay cool.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Woke up early this morning due to a thunder bumper moving through the area.  That's ok as I need the time to get ready to leave.  We are supposed to have thunder storms this morning and clearing by the time we get to Barb's.  I sure hope so!

@Crazy For Cats to Juan:

Birthdaymen.jpg.2a6522a7d143c97bb7d752b3468adeb2.jpg

I like French Onion Soup.  When we go to Quebec in August I will be searching out the restaurant from several years ago where we had excellent onion soup and crepes.  Traditionally onion soup is made with beef broth. To make it vegetarian we are swapping out the beef broth for vegetable broth.  In this recipe the addition of red wine to the broth gives it a nice depth of flavor.  Vegetarian French Onion Soup

vegetarianonionsoup1.thumb.jpg.85448928d1838a221ac3a969e9d8d595.jpg

This recipe uses white wine and balsamic vinegar in the broth and cheddar cheese instead of the traditional gruyere.  French Onion Soup

vegetarianonionsoup2.thumb.jpg.cdf3b3591eed9fdc950dfdb78c5234af.jpg

The secret to this one is the addition of tamari to the broth.  Tamari is similar to soy sauce.  Onion Soup

vegetarianonionsoup3.thumb.jpg.322ed7915137ce939aef8614f52e7edc.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. Yesterday’s high 90s temps were tempered a bit by a breeze. But barely. More of the same today. Last night’s paint & sip party was fun. They had a DJ and it was a real party. Sadly I discovered that my inner artist needs to stay well hidden. However, my friend Yvonne has some talent. But the local bucks stopped by for breakfast to cheer me up. I apologize for the quality of the pictures. 

IMG_4746.jpeg.ca181e738a6a9e2216bd19d85039a915.jpeg

IMG_4749.jpeg.78f35bb19548036375806575568dddf1.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Bindi heads to the vet this morning for an annual shot, then a pool workout, chores, and supper at the Beachfront Winery. They have the best tapas & a famous (in these parts) baguette!

IMG_2810.jpeg.dc40127d4321c033fd29c3cfc0db99cd.jpeg

IMG_3031.jpeg.d5e9d1f85ddf9a63cf36419db67782a0.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg.8dc679adba3a3c981486f02610edca81.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thank you for sharing the very tough news about Tana. Bless you for being by her side. And bless your support team. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @Crazy For Cats Jake, please wish Happy Birthday to Juan for me! 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Black Box Pinot Grigio

I am sure if I read the list of ingredients in my favorite wines, I might not find them all appealing. But I confess to being totally turned off by the list of ingredients in this non vintage wine. Has anyone ever tried this wine? Thoughts? 

$17.99 for 3 liters - you can find this anywhere. 

Winemaker’s notes

Tasting notes: Pear, Honey, Elderflower

Black Box Brilliant Collection Pinot Grigio features notes of pear, honey, and elderflower. Our Brilliant Collection features lower calorie* wines that still offer the full flavor you've come to expect from our premium Black Box wines. Now that's Brilliant. *Calorie content has been reduced from 120 to 70 calories per 5 oz. serving. 

Nutritional Info: 20 servings per container; serving size: 5oz; Calories: 70, Total fat: 0g, Sodium: 0mg, Total Carbohydrate: 5g, Total Sugars: 2g, Includes 2g added sugars, Protein 0g, Calcium: 0mg, Potassium: 180mg, not a significant source of saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, vitamin D, and iron. Contains 0% juice. 

Ingredients: Grape wine, Carbonated Water, less than 2%: Cane Sugar, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (to protect flavor), and Sulfiting Agents (to protect flavor).

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and map Rich.    I will celebrate the seafarers today, it is a rare day where we don't talk about a future or past cruise.  The Beatles should have their own day what a sea change in music they were a big part of.   Too old to appreciate the Smurfs.   A funny quote.  I have been to today's port in January 2023.  I will pass on the soup, I can't imagine how many onions it would take to make a good broth minus the beef stock.  I will pass on the cocktail but the Pinot Grigio is a good one to bring to a potluck.    

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana and chuck and Terri I hope you don't have a torn bicep, ouch!  Prayers for all of us who are ailing or grieving and htose in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  Prayers for all in MN, IA and SD going through the catastrophic flooding.  

I am heading to town this morning to get my two bushes and the rest of the mail and try to get some farm eggs at our trading post.   We had a storm roll through around 1am but nothing major so more rain is always good except that the dirt road will be really muddy after all of the rain.  John fished yesterday and had no bites.  The lake is still in the 60s and the fish really don't like the cold water.  It will be hot and windy today and then cooling off to high in the 60s tomorrow.  My DB remains in the rehab mainly because he is still on IV antibiotics.   He has had an infection in him ever since he had his first knee replacement and he has now had to live 6 months in rehab due to his botched surgery #1.   He is in good spirits.   Have a nice day!  Nancy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Happy Tuesday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

A wonderful day yesterday as the temperature was only in the 80s. Strong winds kept things cooler. Heading into the upper 80s today with no rain in sight. Vegetable plants seem to be holding on. May have lost a few herbs to the heat. Have not needed to cut the grass as it stopped growing due to the heat. Fancy enjoyed the cooler weather yesterday so much that she had the zoomies for a good 10 minutes. Workwise, today, grading assignments. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy trip. 

Wednesday Cat Meme - Captions Profile

• Like 26

We visited Puerto Limon on the Volendam Grand South America and it was our port stop two in January 2023.  It was very hot but we had signed up for the Monster bus tour which had great AC.  It was nice to get away from the busy port to see some of the countryside.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230107_142152527_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230107_144542796_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230107_150500470_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230107_141407422_HDR.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning,

It is difficult to type while wearing a sling, so this will be short.

I have sent the medical report to the Doc at the Mayo Clinc and am waiting for a reply.

My right upper arm continues to be very painful due to a possible bicep tear.

Will report more when I know more.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 18

Happy Catfish Day! Did you know when you posted your meme @cat shepard?  An invasive species of blue catfish has become established the Chesapeake Bay watershed.  They eat everything and we are particularly worried about the blue crabs.  You are never supposed to put them back in the water.  If you aren't going to eat them (they are good fried) you can save them for chum or use them as fertilizer in your garden.  This 104 pound one was caught off Ocean City.IMG_0609.thumb.jpeg.65300a666f91d9c9beff1ce2e6b5fbea.jpegPositive thoughts for those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie.

Pretty sure we will all celebrate Seafarer day.  That quote of Carrie’s is kind of sad.  The wine sounds great as does the meal.  We enjoyed Puerto Limon when we were there.  Had a nice tour and day there.

IMG_2532.jpeg.ebe23a8a07c42c61ee4a6fa954351764.jpeg

Not sure what the weather will be today - I suspect it will be a hot one in the SUV with no A/C.  😞. My spot can’t do A/C.  The one that can has availability only at the beginning of August!  I’ll have to try another place today or heaven forbid - the dealership.  My trust level in them is low.

IMG_2531.jpeg.82142b981acaa2ee8b78c13ea8e92fe7.jpeg

Quick post as I have to head off to the chiropractor today  - not looking forward to it but we have to get the leg problems and pain pinned down so I will see what he says in advance of the vascular surgeon.  

IMG_2530.thumb.jpeg.813b375862f81ba124487f41fe774679.jpeg

Jake @Crazy For Cats please wish Juan a very happy birthday for me.

IMG_9955.gif.7b201f55385d40d328dd572df8ec8d12.gif

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_0246.thumb.jpeg.3eae27b17b2a1ade2ad565832999cf74.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5