COMPLAINERS UNITE! What Can Royal Do Better?

The fridges don't keep the things really cold because of two things:

1. They are built-in in a tiny wooden box...so the heat can't really escape from behind...

2. There are two different types of fridges available

First: Like at home cold but noisy

Second: Silent but chilly

Royal Caribbean have choosen the second one and this was the right choice...coz i think there would be more complaints about the noise rhan chilly stuff...of course is power consumption also a reason on a cruise ship and the silent type is more economic than the common fridge...

It is not as if I am at home, trying to keep food fresh that is in the refrigerator in the room; it really is just to keep things chilled. If a real refrigerator is required by a cruiser for medical reasons it can be requested.

Uggh,

They could reduce or remove the single supplement all together for solo cruisers. It's sometimes hard to swallow having to pay almost %100 percent of the price for a 2nd person in a room even though they won't be there.

Uggh,

They could reduce or remove the single supplement all together for solo cruisers. It's sometimes hard to swallow having to pay almost %100 percent of the price for a 2nd person in a room even though they won't be there.

I agree with this, there seems to be discrimination or any odd number in all walks of life. We have one child, so bogo half price etc we lose out. I understand that a second person in a room would bring an extra fare, so maybe they should have more single rooms only. Even two single rooms with say a connecting door so it could be flexible.

• 5 months later...

RCI needs to stop playing games when you book a year ahead and they tell you that early traditional dining is already full. They put you in MTD and then charge you the tips. A month to two months later, you get put into traditional early dining. This did not happen until about two years ago. No one believes early dining is full a year out from the cruise date. This would only apply to ships that still have traditional dining.

I have been on Carnival ships and this never happens. We ask for early traditional dining and get it, like we once did on Royal Caribbean.

Haven't had time to read every post agree with dress code in MDR No shorts, dining room doors to be closed 15 mins after service begins, security to patrol deck after midnight for under age kids. Maybe have a area to hold them and those responsible for them have to go and collect them and be given a warning about their behaviour and maybe on the second occasion keel haul the kids that will stop them upsetting anyone else. :D

Adults only cruise would be a great idea and maybe around the world cruise.

RCI needs to stop playing games when you book a year ahead and they tell you that early traditional dining is already full. They put you in MTD and then charge you the tips. A month to two months later, you get put into traditional early dining. This did not happen until about two years ago. No one believes early dining is full a year out from the cruise date. This would only apply to ships that still have traditional dining.

I have been on Carnival ships and this never happens. We ask for early traditional dining and get it, like we once did on Royal Caribbean.

If you book a year out nothing but the deposit is charged. Tips are not charged until final payment. So if you book a year out and are put into MTD initially and then a month or two later (8 month from sailling) you have not been charged a single dime in tips. Once assigned to traditional it´s your choice to have the tips removed from your invoice again, if they don´t drop off automatically anyway.

better single supplement prices:confused:

I agree with that madmarti.

I travel solo, and always meet new "Friends".

Visiting my cabin afterwards is always a must, and one has to be polite to the people buying me drinkiepoos all night.

It would be nice if the single cabins were a bit bigger, and when i have a few Guests around, it does get a tad small.

Cruising is all about enjoying onself, meeting new people and most of all trying new experiences.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn likes it in the cabin

Ok, I'm still a cheerleader, but I am going to risk a bad boy point and post anyway. It seems to me and its been reported that Royal has cut back on the dining room staff numbers. I actually did a subjective graph on the satisfaction of my dining room service and it has really slid since 2012. I rated Jewel a 10 in 2012 and a 7 in 2014. I'm not sure Dynamic Dining is going to fix that, but I'll keep my mind open till my first DD cruise in 2016.

Haven't had time to read every post agree with dress code in MDR No shorts, dining room doors to be closed 15 mins after service begins, security to patrol deck after midnight for under age kids. Maybe have a area to hold them and those responsible for them have to go and collect them and be given a warning about their behaviour and maybe on the second occasion keel haul the kids that will stop them upsetting anyone else. :D

Adults only cruise would be a great idea and maybe around the world cruise.

The Holland America forum awaits you.

It would be nice to have drink stations with water, lemonade, ice tea available around the ship more as well as fresh fruit cups available in the Café on the Promenade or Lattitudes in the Centrum on the smaller ships. Several years ago, Royal did away with combining discounts and it would be nice to be able to combine discounts again. Perhaps not an unlimited amount but the ability to combine 2 discounts per cabin -- one could be a price discount and the other could be an OBC discount (which in reality encourages the cruiser to spend more). In that way people that have invested in buying stock in Royal can see their stock holder benefit more often (and it is a small benefit).

1. Future Cruise Credit is now basically useless. I say they could do what NCL does. You pay $250 for an FCC and you get $100 back to spend immediately.
  2. Open the MDR on embarkation day like NCL.
  3. Have the rooms ready as soon as you board, like they do with Princess.

And learn how to cook scrambled eggs for the Buffet. Make grit like in the South i.e.. the ones your Cardiologist would not want you to eat. REAL toast.

A way to express your problems/issues without knowingly or directly getting a employee in trouble. NOT ALL service related issues are the employees fault.

Help keep all C&A and telephone reservationist on the same page. Too many different answers from them from available cabins and perks and yes discounts.

Sorry, my title is not quite right, X notes is only for the Buffet.

Edited by north29

Ok, I'm still a cheerleader, but I am going to risk a bad boy point and post anyway. It seems to me and its been reported that Royal has cut back on the dining room staff numbers. I actually did a subjective graph on the satisfaction of my dining room service and it has really slid since 2012. I rated Jewel a 10 in 2012 and a 7 in 2014. I'm not sure Dynamic Dining is going to fix that, but I'll keep my mind open till my first DD cruise in 2016.

This right here!

My husband and I were disappointed in the MDR (traditional, late seating) service on our last FOS cruise, and it wasn't just that first "off night." Service did get gradually better toward the end of the week, but still nothing like what we'd experienced on our other RC cruises. For the second week of our B2B, we were happy we were able to keep the same table -- it was a nice location, right next to a window, but now we had an entirely new wait staff, and service was even worse than the first night of the first week.

The second night and the remainder of our cruise, we ate in WJ, and really enjoyed it. Even though it's a buffet, we had very good service there, with staff stopping by our table often to chat and ask if we needed anything. But, we shouldn't have to eat in the buffet for good service.

We still enjoyed our time on FOS so much that we're sailing on her again in September. We've selected MTD for all of our upcoming cruises.

Due to time restraints my wife and I usually can only cruise once a year and prefer to spend at least 10 nights on each cruise.

We would love to see an increase in staffing especially in the dining room. Most of the salaries to this staff are paid for with gratuities.

We have cruised on many of the smaller ships and also prefer them since they can offer, in some cases, better ports of call not suited to the mega ships.

We have never cruised on a smaller ship that was not full so there still seems to be a market for ships without zip lines, bumper cars and we truly enjoy the feeling that we are on a cruise and not at an amusement park. True, if you put a smaller ship into a 3 or 4 month static itinerary the demand could become reduced but intelligent scheduling could avoid that.

Keep the traditional MDR dining in place and offer MTD for those who want to vary their dining times. Keep a specialty dining venue or two for maybe a change in ambiance but do not reduce the quality of food in the MDR to steer us to them.

I do not know about others but I would be willing to pay a little more in both cruise price and gratuities for a better small ship experience.

I know there are cruise lines that have the smaller ships, but we are diamond members on RCCL and elite on Celebrity and have enjoyed every cruise over the past 14 years. We don't need caviar served to us while wading on a beach or butlers in each cabin and as a matter of fact on the seven cruises we had with butlers we hardly used the additional services at all.

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Move their customer services department. Give us a UK customer service office I can call.

Dunno where they are currently, but I've been trying to fix something very minor the last few week and feel like I've been smashing my head against the wall.

- either don't answer your email or answer but totally don't help.

- don't listen when you call them or can't seem to help.

Just give up in the end. Maybe that is their plan.

I think they should have a TRUE 24 hour buffett. The Windjammer was closed between lunch and Tea and between Tea and Dinner. Also, if you are hungry late night the only option is room service which is a pathetic menu and that Coffeebar/Cafe in the promenade that serves finger sandwiches and soggy pizza.

In addition, they should have a poolside grill for hamburgers and hotdogs etc..

I think of all the cruise lines RCCL has the worst food venues to choose from.

Yes! We should have the option of hot food without resorting to room service during the day.

We often come back to the ship between 2-3 and want a late lunch and there isn't anything available but iffy pizza.

The food is pretty blah in the MDR too. They are trying to make fancy food and it isn't even as good as banquet food in most cases. I wouldn't be offended if they went back to the basics and more well known dishes. I find the "spice" menu theme to be very limiting and not appealing to my personal taste.

Front Office Management seems to be the problem with RCI recently. The necessary changes I see involve change at the top.

Cut backs in service employees (Food Service, Cabin attendants and other housekeeping, etc..) is causing most of the appearance and quality service issues. Food quality has gone down even in the specialty restaurants. More lavish appearing dining does not equate to quality dining.

Catering to first time cruisers is necessary (we were all there at one time ;) ) however, not at the expense of the loyal cruisers. Some hotel directors are doing a marvelous job with this. I assume (know in some instances) that the cut backs are driven from Miami. Corporate invented the Loyalty program, it kept many in the RCI fold and they should continue to keep these cruisers happy.

With new ship designs, don't try to make "one size fits all" a criteria across the fleet. Keep small to medium ships in a more traditional cruise ship mode with just a taste of specialty dining. That will keep costs down with no need for major ship modifications.

When launching new ships, don't dangle ship features as with Quantum and then gut it at great expense to relocate from its intended North American market. The refitting to go to the Chinese market will cost as much as Explorer's overhaul!

Just touching the tip of the iceberg above but I hope with the restructuring that will come from the new CEO perhaps we can return to the grand old days of cruising. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/ourLeadership.do?name=Michael+Bayley

RCCL and brand Executives did an excellent job for a long time. It looks like they lost their way and forgot their past history and accomplishments. Let's turn it around RCCL and RCI.

Edited by Scotty G

From my limited experiences, Food is the big thing. I want more options without up-charge, and I want better tasting food. Even simple stuff like burgers. Breakfast is particularly terrible. Included drinks are also pretty awful so we will probably buy soda packages. The soda package is only remotely worth it if the ship has a freestyle machine.

Take note of the fact that frequently posted polls on this site indicate that the Radiance Class line of ships is a HUGE favorite of MANY repeat cruisers. Along that line, remember that repeat cruisers are important too. (It's not ALL about attracting NEW cruisers!) Those cruising for the "resort at sea" love the newer ships, but those of us who cruise for the cruise experience and itinerary prefer the smaller ships, which offer more ocean views, more interesting and port-intensive itineraries and more opportunities to interact with staff and fellow passengers.

KEEP a year-round ship in San Juan.

KEEP a main dining room. I'm a MyTime diner, but I still prefer to eat at the same dining room and enjoy the same staff throughout the cruise. I also enjoy the formal nights.

I agree with those who indicate that the NextCruise program is not worth it any more. Either improve or eliminate it. If they want to lock in repeat business, they should make it worth it for the consumer to tie up that $200 for...who knows how long? Or offer an early-booking discount to lock customers in early. It seems to be to their benefit to know how well a sailing is selling early on. If this isn't important, they should just eliminate the program altogether.

I also agree with drink stations near the pool area. Carnival did this. (Maybe still does? I haven't cruised on one of their ships for some time.) Not a huge deal. I always pack a sports bottle and fill it with ice water in my cabin. But drink stations would be nice.

Edited by printingchick

Someone obviously dug it up from 6 feet under. It really should be dumped as many do not realise it is so old. And its title is offensive anyway, as this is an open forum, nobody should be banned from any thread, even in jest :eek:

I started this thread seven years ago. I can't believe it's still active.

1.) Get rid of the Diamond + pins.

2.) Keep real bartenders, not mechanical ones.

3.) Add some better drink options, some craft cocktails perhaps. None of that Island Oasis syrup garbage.

4.) Ban all Raiders fans. There is no place for these individuals on any of the ships.

5.) It would be cool to have a true "sports bar" that serves food/beverages. Lots of passengers are huge fans of European Football, NFL, NCAA football & basketball, NBA basketball, and MLB.

6.) How hard is it to make a good pizza? Not hard.

7.) Build an expedition size ship to go on very exotic itineraries. 200 passengers max.

8.) Stop all itineraries that visit Russia. Russians are not to be trusted, why would RCCL promote tourism there.