Bugs?

1stime88

Are there ever bugs on the ship? Planning my first cruise ever.. Navigator of the Seas.

I hate bugs and was curious if they are on the cruise ships. Also, do you guys check for bed bugs when you get your room? How do you check?

Thanks!

Edited by 1stime88

I have not heard anything about bed bugs on ships.

It is possible to have a fly or some other insect inside the ship that enters from doors that lead to the outside which is no different than ones home. But you don't see a lot of insects inside a ship.

Keith

The ship will have a Pest Control Officer (no, he/she doesn't work behind the Guest Services counter). Insect control is one of the areas covered by the USPH's Vessel Sanitation Program, so they are taken very seriously, and you won't find many (as stated, they will fly in through the doors, etc).

In the Caribbean and Hawaii, there are many reports of "bed bugs", and while these can be brought on by the passengers, most turn out to be sand fleas brought back from the beaches.

Of course there are "bugs" on ships...bugs are EVERYWHERE! Do they keep them in check? Of course! You actually have mites that live in your eyelashes...did you know that? Everyone does, and they are harmless to you.

If any offensive insect is found, it is quickly taken care of.

Your question reminds me of another poster's....who asked if there were sharks at Coco Cay...and again, of course! Sharks are in all oceans!

Of course there are "bugs" on ships...bugs are EVERYWHERE! Do they keep them in check? Of course! You actually have mites that live in your eyelashes...did you know that? Everyone does, and they are harmless to you.

If any offensive insect is found, it is quickly taken care of.

Your question reminds me of another poster's....who asked if there were sharks at Coco Cay...and again, of course! Sharks are in all oceans!

Lol!!!!

Are there ever bugs on the ship? Planning my first cruise ever.. Navigator of the Seas.

I hate bugs and was curious if they are on the cruise ships. Also, do you guys check for bed bugs when you get your room? How do you check?

Thanks!

every time you pull into port you run the risk of 'visitors' anything from a stray fly to a Kestrel or sea gull. I even saw a spider web once on the balcony but it was gone th next time the cabin steward came by.

bedbugs only happen when the PASSENGER brings them on board.

We noticed a few on Celebrity Eclipse, but probably because of the real grass on the top deck. When we were in St Petersburg they decided to varnish some of the woodwork, which coincided with a warm humid day. The next day they were sanding it back down due to the hundreds of green fly that had stuck to the wet varnish....

We haven't noticed any bugs on any of our cruises. The Navigator is a beautiful ship. We enjoyed being on her in April.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I agree, ship was also totally refurbished in 2014 looks like a new ship

We had a pigeon came with us to Norway and back last week. I dare say that had a few fleas or something. It lived outside, though. ;)

I would be interested to know whether it's a permanent resident or was just taking a week off. The ship was the Magellan, Cruises & Maritime. Anyone else see it?

Thanks!

Pest control is one of the things included in the CDC's cruise ship inspections. The Navigator of the Seas got a 98/100 rating this past April. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionScoresAll.aspx?ColV=NzMxMw%3d%3d-l%2fZ12bp9imw%3d

I've been on a couple of cruises with my BIL, who is an entymologist. If he had seen any bugs, he probably would have been very excited and I would have heard about it.

When we visited St. Thomas, I asked him if he planned to go to Butterfly World. He told me that he wasn't that interested in butterflies, and then added, "Now, if it were FLIES..." ;)

Yes, bugs particularly bed bugs can be brought aboard in passagers luggage. However, as others have posted this is very carefully monitored by the ship's pest control officer and dealt with. We have never had an issue with any type of insect on the ship with the exception of the occasional hose fly that has flown in thru an open balcony door while in port.

There are bedbugs occasionally on board ships, as there are in many of the hotels in port cities. You can check bedbugregistry.com for hotels that might have them. If someone happens to have a room with bedbugs the night before they board the ship, they will very likely bring them on board. I always check both hotel rooms and ship cabins. We had bites on one cruise to Hawaii. We had not been on any beaches and did not bring anything on board with us. It was several days before the bites began and we had reached Hawaii by the time we realized it might be bed bugs. We were in one of the better cabins. We did not see anything, but before we left the ship in Hawaii, we went to guest relations and suggested they check that room. The ship was on a Transpacific cruise, some people were getting on, some were getting off. Guest Relations did not want to hear about it, did not want to see the bites, and did not want to know the cabin number. I requested seeing the ship's Dr to see if it might be bed bugs and was told he was unavailable. She said I should go to an Urgent Care off the ship and if they said it was bedbugs, to contact the cruiseline headquarters. I felt they should have at least checked the cabin before they put the next guests in there, because we were definitely being bitten by something. So don't believe the ships are proactive on this. I think they are trying to deny and cover up. They don't want to know. Yes, bedbugs are brought on by passengers, but it may be the passenger before you and that does not make it okay.

Edited by Honeybearhollow

For real.....YOUR EYELASHES!!!! {{{Shiver}}}:eek:

Well, you can try to convince yourself that you are one of the five people out of a hundred who do NOT have eyelash mites -- but the odds are that you are among the overwhelming majority of people who plays permanent host to these ugly little hitchhikers - look up "eyelash mites" on the Internet -- or don't (if you get easily creeped out).

For real.....YOUR EYELASHES!!!! {{{Shiver}}}:eek:

Um, yes. Also your hair, pubic hair, etc. You will also find them living in mattresses, pillows, etc. They're generally harmless, but can sometimes cause skin problems and allergic reactions from their feces. And photographs of them are pretty creepy.

• 2 weeks later...