Leaving for a flight earlier than the cruise allows for transfer.

Ritz Condo

I am booked on Celebrity Soltace South Pacific & Figi Cruise March 1-13, 2017 leaving and returning to Sydney Australia. The flight that l want is fine going to Sydney so l can use the cruise transfer. However, returning to the airport after the cruise, my flight leaves 45 minutes before the allowable transfer. It's the only American Flight ( and l need to use American ) back to the USA. Do you think l can make it on time ( the ship arrives at 6:30 AM ) ? If so, what means of transportation should l use. If by cab, about how much would it cost and do they take American money? I walk with a cane, so l can't get to a train with my luggage. I need to use a shared shuttle or cab or something that you can get right at the cruise terminal. (BTW I have spent weeks in Sydney so l don't need to spend another day there and pay for a hotel ) I appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

Without knowing your flight departure time, it's impossible to say. But consider these:

- if time is tight you might have to do early self debarkation . But that means carrying off all your own luggage, which you said you can't manage.

- you have to allow time for getting your luggage and going thru Customs if you debark with the rest of the passengers

-taxi driver will want local currency. I believe the distance is only about 15km. Only a 30 minute trip if traffic is nominal. Cost? I saw one quote of AUS$40-50

Your airline may have a check in deadline well in advance of your flight time. I know some airlines that refuse check in to international flights if less than an hour before flight.

You really should provide more information - (and get it for yourself before gambling). Does the airport recommend arriving 3 hours before flight time? When is flight time? What is reasonable time pier to airport? Have you checked with others on your ship re: sharing a ride? When you say you walk with a cane, are you still able to self-debark, carrying all your luggage with NO assistance (necessary for early self debark) Are you willing to get the necessary local currency to pay the driver? Have you a back up plan?

. I know some airlines that refuse check in to international flights if less than an hour before flight.

That would be all airlines I've ever flown with. Most airlines advise arriving to the airport three hours before an international flight.

If you miss the cruise cutoff by 45 minutes you should should be able to easily make it. Cabs take credit cards but charge exorbitant fees for the privilege. Three hours is way too early. 2 hours is very comfortable 1.5 is a bit rushed and 1 hour is minimum and you could be out luck if anything goes wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am booked on Celebrity Soltace South Pacific & Figi Cruise March 1-13, 2017 leaving and returning to Sydney Australia. The flight that l want is fine going to Sydney so l can use the cruise transfer. However, returning to the airport after the cruise, my flight leaves 45 minutes before the allowable transfer. It's the only American Flight ( and l need to use American ) back to the USA. Do you think l can make it on time ( the ship arrives at 6:30 AM ) ? If so, what means of transportation should l use. If by cab, about how much would it cost and do they take American money? I walk with a cane, so l can't get to a train with my luggage. I need to use a shared shuttle or cab or something that you can get right at the cruise terminal. (BTW I have spent weeks in Sydney so l don't need to spend another day there and pay for a hotel ) I appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

My American Airlines Flight is due to leave at 10:45 AM.

I self-disembark and I would never count on making a 10:45 flight off any cruise arrival (well, excepting maybe one where they spend a full night before, like we did in Buenos Aires... can't remember when the ship's transfer left after that, if it was any earlier). I suspect they still do the customs/immigration clearance on the day of the cruise's closure.

You would be at risk of missing your flight if there were any hold-ups in clearing customs/immigration. Then waiting for your group to be called to disembark, and queuing up to find your bags... plus queuing for security at the airport... I never heard anyone since 9/11/01 recommend arriving at the airport for an international flight one hour before departure! (Boarding starts at least one half-hour before that time.)

Spend the night. If you want to stress yourself, you can book the next day's flight but try to make it to the airport in time on the debarking day, then at the counter outside of security, see if there is an empty seat they'll let you transfer your ticket to.

Then you can come back here and let us know if it worked!

i would say you probably would not make it

Just because the ship arrives at 6:30 am does not mean you will be allowed off then

That means you want to think about getting to the airport just a little over an hour after SCHEDULED arrival time. That leaves no time for minimal delays in debarking, customs & immigration, locating and handling luggage, locating and using local ground transportation, etc. I would treat myself to a post-cruise day - even though I might know the place.

If you really wish to take a chance on that flight leaving 45 min before

the allowed transfer time , put a latter flight # in your transfer request

and get on that first bus .

Have a back up plan in case you don't make your flight .

Hi Ritz Condo

Looks like your best bet to get to the airport quickly is taking a taxi. I would just research how much the fare would be and get some AUS$ for that purpose. If you count on a cab that takes credit, you will likely be upset if they don't all accept cards.

I can't imagine if you did book the cruise line transfer by saying you have a later flight...sitting there trying to encourage the driver to leave right away while he/she is waiting for the bus to fill up...just another twenty people lady. :)

Whether we think you might be able to make your flight is irrelevant if you try and don't make it. When people suggest you should have a back up plan, I just wonder, the only possible back up plan is to take a later flight if you miss your intended one. It seems like a fairly expensive alternative. As one cc members' signature says "are you feeling lucky".

have a great trip

I think you are begging for trouble.

You walk with a cane and cannot handle your luggage. This means you cannot sign up for express debarkation. Those people make up the first 30 minutes or so of debarkation. This will push you back. It will likely be 7:30 or later that you can get off.

Missing the flight will lead to a long, frustrating day as you try to get on a later flight. Could you take another airline if you missed the AA flight? Would other airlines even take the AA ticket? Failing to get on a flight would lead to searching for a hotel room.

It's been some time since I've been to Australia, pre-9/11, but is there any immigration procedure before flying out?

I barely recall that I might have a "Departed" stamp on my passport from Australia.

If there still is departure immigration I think the OP should forget about flying out the same day for they simply will run out of time.

Edited by Philob

You need to factor in the following:

• American Airlines requires you check-in 2 hours prior for an international flight. Therefore you need to be at the airport by 8:45 AM.
  • Though the ship is scheduled to be docked by 6:30 AM that doesn't mean that the ship will be clear and disembarking can begin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you miss the cruise cutoff by 45 minutes you should should be able to easily make it. Cabs take credit cards but charge exorbitant fees for the privilege. Three hours is way too early. 2 hours is very comfortable 1.5 is a bit rushed and 1 hour is minimum and you could be out luck if anything goes wrong.

Two hours may be "very comfortable" - but a more precise definition is that it is the minimum lead time American Airlines sets for international flights - not the 1 hour noted.

I am curious about the "only AA" requirement for your flight.

Do you mean that it must be an AA operated flight? Or will an AA coded flight operated by QF work?

There are many later flight options if you can take QF metal. There is only the one AA metal flight each day. And FWIW, on the 14th, the schedule moves even earlier with a 10:15 departure.

Finally, if you do decide to risk this flight, you should be able to have Australian dollars since you will have already been in Australia for your departure. Just get an estimate of the cab fare, add in extra for tips and overage and just have that saved in Aussie currency when you leave on the start of the cruise. And if you have any left over, you can buy something in the SYD airport.

I would not risk it. We got off Solstice yesterday at 830am. By the time we had negotiated getting bags and the taxi rank we did not get to my house until 10am. And I don't live as far away as the airport.

Additionally, every experience I have had at Sydney airport has been different. Some days you will breeze through check in and immigration fairly quickly and painlessly. Sometimes complete opposite. One time we arrived at the airport 3 and a half hours before our flight departure time. Check in and immigration had queue after queue, and by the time we got through to the gate there was only half an hour until boarding. We had thought we might have time to get a pre flight meal but no.

If you were flying domestic, it is a risk you could take if you can ensure you can get off the ship before 8am.

Don't forget the OPT is in the heart of downtime sydney, and you will be jumping into a cab at peak hour time. Granted most traffic will be going the other direction but it just takes one person trying to turn across wall to wall traffic to hold you up.

I think your best bet is a later flight or get that flight the next day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

You will have (hoefully) had a wonderful cruise. Why risk ending it in a frustrating, upsetting day trying to get to the airport. Extend your vacation by one day and stay in a hotel. The next day you can get on your flight relaxed like you should be after a vacation.

I would not risk it. We got off Solstice yesterday at 830am. By the time we had negotiated getting bags and the taxi rank we did not get to my house until 10am. And I don't live as far away as the airport.[/url]

Says Nic from Australia, after arriving at the same port. I think the case rests.