Goodbye RCCL Visa, hello Capital One

I have had an RCCL Visa for several years...

In June 2007, I cashed in my first 125,000 point award for a cruise for two on the then brand new Liberty of the Seas. Got a balcony cabin since, with my Diamond C&A discount, the cost was the same as for an OV...and the cost snuck in just under the $2500 limit...

In January 2011, we cashed in our second 125,000 award...again a free cruise...on the then brand new Allure of the Seas...

We now have 190,000+ points in the account, so, back in February, we booked a cruise for this coming January on Allure again...unfortunately, the spread between an OV and our desired ocean view balcony is a little wider...so, the difference will cost us a few hundred dollars...but, no big deal...

We were heading toward final payment date...when we are to cash in the award and pay the difference...and, suddenly, with no notice of any kind to us, RCCL has changed the program...

The 125,000 award is no longer good on ANY cruise on Allure, Oasis or ANY ship newer than thirteen months!

After a couple of frantic phone calls with RCCL and with the points redemption department, they have confirmed that they WILL honor my deal...as long as I redeem the points within the next 30 days...

Of course, after that, what of my remaining 65,000 points?

Whereas we figured we were half way to yet another free cruise, suddenly those points are a lot less valuable. Why?

Most of the RCCL point awards have always been based on a $1:$100 ratio. You can do much better than that with lots of other card programs. The 125,000 award, IF EXERCISED ON A CRUISE WHERE THE OV IS PRICED AT $1,250 pp, is a $2:$100 ratio...

However, due to the new restrictions, it would be near difficult to ever get anywhere near the 2:100 ratio...Typically, the Allure, Oasis or brand new ships are the only ones where a pp cruise fare for an OV cabin ever comes anywhere near $1250...

We discussed it today at my house...

Capital One offers a card that gives you 2:100 value for ANY travel--airfares, hotels, cruises...NO RESTRICTIONS...any ship, any cruise line, any cabin category...it doesn't even have the Christmas/New Years blackout!

Why put up with the new restrictions for HALF the value...at best?

The plan is: I have applied for the new Capital One card (which also has no foreign transaction fee but does have a $59 annual fee-waived for the first year...Alonso a 10,000 point bonus-worth $50right up front)...

Well keep the RCCL card for now...but stop using it for the most part...I need another 9400 dollars spent to extend to the 75,000 point level...which I now intend to cash in as a $750 credit toward my 2015 X Galapagos cruise...unless I take another RCCL or X cruise before that...Then I will just cancel the card entirely...unless they'll let me apply that credit toward the Allure cruise on top of the 125,000 award?

So unfair they changed the rules like that but glad you caught it in time for your upcoming Allure cruise. Sucks your remaining points are now of lesser value.

I use my Capital One card when traveling abroad due to no foreign transaction fees and have been very happy with it but it's not the one you're describing but I'm definitely going to look into it. That might actually be better for me than my Amex so thanks for pointing it out.

Speaking of, I saw where the new Celebrity Visa Premium card also had no foreign transaction fees but it also comes with a $69 annual fee. That eats into profits right there. There are other perks, but none that were substantial enough for me to apply for one. But then again, I didn't look into it that closely and might be missing something big. Wonder if anyone on these boards has one yet?

Again, so sorry this happened and wonder how many others are in the same boat? Sorry, bad pun. :(

Does not work for us. 3000$ every year just to cover the fee in points. That would be 25% of our points in any one year. It takes us a while to build up just enough for a little obc.

We use our chase card for foreign transactions

Why not American Express Blue Cash Preferred ?

6% towards groceries

3% towards most dept stores and gas

I get an average of 2 points for every dollar spent every month.

And I can spend the rewards on anything or get cash back towards my bill, not just travel.

Cruise cards are a joke for everyday spending

I've been using chase freedm, with their rotating 5 percent cash back rewards I can make a lot of points in a month and ether redeem it for cash or a cruise gift card. :D

But the Chase Freedom card 5% deal is only good up to $1500 in purchases in select categories. It's good for Gas Stations, Kohls, and one other category this quarter. You are very limited on your earning abilities.

If you have Costco nearby you should consider joining. They offer a no annual fee Amex that has 3% on fuel, 2% travel, 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else. Yes you pay for Costco but that has its own value :-)

If you have Costco nearby you should consider joining. They offer a no annual fee Amex that has 3% on fuel, 2% travel, 2% restaurants, and 1% everywhere else. Yes you pay for Costco but that has its own value :-)

I have a Hilton Honors Amex card. No annual fee, lots of extra points like yours, and I use it for free pre-cruise and other vacation hotel rooms!

:)

In June 2007, I cashed in my first 125,000 point award for a cruise for two on the then brand new Liberty of the Seas. Got a balcony cabin since, with my Diamond C&A discount, the cost was the same as for an OV...and the cost snuck in just under the $2500 limit...

In January 2011, we cashed in our second 125,000 award...again a free cruise...on the then brand new Allure of the Seas...

We now have 190,000+ points in the account, so, back in February, we booked a cruise for this coming January on Allure again...unfortunately, the spread between an OV and our desired ocean view balcony is a little wider...so, the difference will cost us a few hundred dollars...but, no big deal...

We were heading toward final payment date...when we are to cash in the award and pay the difference...and, suddenly, with no notice of any kind to us, RCCL has changed the program...

The 125,000 award is no longer good on ANY cruise on Allure, Oasis or ANY ship newer than thirteen months!

After a couple of frantic phone calls with RCCL and with the points redemption department, they have confirmed that they WILL honor my deal...as long as I redeem the points within the next 30 days...

Whereas we figured we were half way to yet another free cruise, suddenly those points are a lot less valuable. Why?

Most of the RCCL point awards have always been based on a $1:$100 ratio. You can do much better than that with lots of other card programs. The 125,000 award, IF EXERCISED ON A CRUISE WHERE THE OV IS PRICED AT $1,250 pp, is a $2:$100 ratio...

However, due to the new restrictions, it would be near difficult to ever get anywhere near the 2:100 ratio...Typically, the Allure, Oasis or brand new ships are the only ones where a pp cruise fare for an OV cabin ever comes anywhere near $1250...

Capital One offers a card that gives you 2:100 value for ANY travel--airfares, hotels, cruises...NO RESTRICTIONS...any ship, any cruise line, any cabin category...it doesn't even have the Christmas/New Years blackout!

The plan is: I have applied for the new Capital One card (which also has no foreign transaction fee but does have a $59 annual fee-waived for the first year...Alonso a 10,000 point bonus-worth $50right up front)...

Well keep the RCCL card for now...but stop using it for the most part...I need another 9400 dollars spent to extend to the 75,000 point level...which I now intend to cash in as a $750 credit toward my 2015 X Galapagos cruise...unless I take another RCCL or X cruise before that...Then I will just cancel the card entirely...unless they'll let me apply that credit toward the Allure cruise on top of the 125,000 award?

I was on the "Capitol" website and I thought I read that you have to use their travel agent to book travel, do you know if that is correct, if so, it wouldn't be good if you have a TA that has excellant incentives, is that correct or am I missing something? Thanks

But the Chase Freedom card 5% deal is only good up to $1500 in purchases in select categories. It's good for Gas Stations, Kohls, and one other category this quarter. You are very limited on your earning abilities.

The alternating months just depend...next cycle is Amazon and looooove Amazon. I guess I never really considered the 1500 because I wold never go over that, but I really do like the card. And 1 point back for every other purchase and sometimes I use the rewards mall as well, which can give up to 10 percent back. And I leaks that my points never expire. While it may not be the perfect reward earning credit card,I think it's better than a cruiseline card:D

Well keep the RCCL card for now...but stop using it for the most part...

I switched from my RCI card to AMEX a couple years ago and it was the best choice I ever made. Why I ever restricted my awards to only RCI is beyond me. I know they can be used on Celebrity and Azamara now, but that's still pretty restrictive compared to most rewards programs.

This is why we have a RCCL card for RCCL purchases only. We got 25000 points when we signed up (I think, it's been 2+ years) and use it for cruises, onboard items and that's it. We took advantage of last year's triple point promotion and paid off our July and November cruises and will have $400 (or $450) in OBC this year (we have used about $300 before in the last 2 years).

We've had a Capital One Venture card for years for the double points. We put EVERYTHING on that card (and pay it off monthly) and have used it for flights to/from Alaska, Florida and have about 200,000 miles on it right now). I think OP is right on, use RCCL for double (or triple) point opportunities and use Cap One for all else.

Works for us

I've been thinking about switching my credit card to one that offers points for travel. I fully understand that the interest rate on cards depends upon one's credit worthiness, but in general for these type cards, is the interest rate higher?

We've been using the Capital One Delta Skymiles card. In Canada flying anywhere is prohibitively expensive. Forget about flying to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. So about 5 or 6 years ago we started flying out of the US (a 5 hour drive from our house). About 2.5 years ago we discovered the Capital One Delta card. We put EVERYTHING on that card (of course we pay in full each month) and we've managed to build up 6 Free tickets anywhere Delta flies in the US. So the next 3 trips will be free airfare! And yeah, we get 2 points for every dollar spent. I figure that by the time we use up our 6 free tickets we'll probably have built up another 2 freebies so I'm calculating that we won't pay for air again until at least 2016. Sweet deal.

We were going to use our 125k on the Oasis as well to get the most bang for our buck. Oh well time to plan an exit strategy!! We already use Chase for Holiday Inn points. Annual fee of $79 but includes one free night every year. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the Miracle Mile in Chicago this summer when it was going for $400 a night free :D ok it was $40 a night to park but any downtown Chicago makes ya pay to park.

Now to figure out how to spend the 115K I already have saved up asap!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Good move to change cards! You will be much happier with the Cap One.

I use my American Express all the time for our cruises and was recently moved to the Platinum Card with no Foreign tranaction fees. Although I don't have enough to cover all our Hotel or Apartment stay in Sydney next year, I can cover our 2 day stay before our NZ cruise. I have close to 88,000 Points.

I was on the "Capitol" website and I thought I read that you have to use their travel agent to book travel, do you know if that is correct, if so, it wouldn't be good if you have a TA that has excellant incentives, is that correct or am I missing something? Thanks

Not necessarily...The CapOne website (it's the "Venture Rewards" card)says you can also book your travel any way you want, then retroactively go back and apply the points:

"How do I redeem my rewards for travel?

There are two ways to redeem your miles:

1. You can book your travel by going online to capitalone.com or contacting our Rewards Center. Or,
  2. You can purchase your travel anyway you choose—online, in person, or over the phone—using your No Hassle Rewards card. Then take advantage of our Purchase EraserSM for Previous Travel Purchases feature. Within 90 days from the date the travel purchase posts to the account, redeem miles online at capitalone.com or call our Rewards Center to get reimbursed for the cost of the travel purchase. Reimbursement will be in the form of a credit to the account which will be posted within 5 to 7 business days following the redemption."

I dropped my RCL Visa about a year and half ago after redeeming a free cruise on the Oasis. I went with an Amex. Two points for every dollar on any purchase, cash back. I love it. No annual fee either.

Problem for me with an Amex is that I travel overseas a bit...and a lot of merchants overseas simply won't accept Amex...plus, there's the issue of Foreign Transaction fees...So, though I have an Amex card, it won't be my primary card.

I've been thinking about switching my credit card to one that offers points for travel. I fully understand that the interest rate on cards depends upon one's credit worthiness, but in general for these type cards, is the interest rate higher?

On this particular card, for purchases or transfers, the interest rate is 13.9%, 16.9% or 20.9%, based on your creditworthiness. APR for Cash advances is 24.9%. APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate

Personally, I don't care. I NEVER pay interest on a credit card. Credit card interest is just a bad deal. I use the card as a convenience only. That and for the points, of course...AND ALWAYS PAY OFF THE CARD IN FULL EVERY MONTH before the due date.

Never spend more on a credit card than you can afford to cover at that time, on time. If you can't afford to pay for it in full, don't buy it.

If you care about interest rates, you shouldn't be using a credit card for any reason.

By running a balance you eliminate any perk you are getting by paying interest

You won't be sorry, Capital One is the best card for people that like to travel. I use it for all my business and personnel expenses. I get about 3000.00 dollars worth of travel every year. Any type of travel cruises, hotels, flights, rental cars, ect. No hoops to jump through like the RCI card.

Archived