Old School Cruising

We are 50 plus and have been on 20+ cruises (Platinum on Carnival) We are looking to step it up to a little nicer experience. Something with better dining and a nice dance venue in the evenings. Would like to continue to sail out of U.S. southern ports. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I see you're in Texas. You might think about giving Royal Caribbean a try since they sail year round from Galveston. I'm not sure that RC falls into the "old school cruising" category, but speaking from personal experience, it's a step up from Carnival. You also might think about Princess. They don't sail out of Texas any longer, but it has a more refined experience. Princess has some great itineraries out of Florida.

To me, old school sounds like a cruise on a luxury ship like Cunard. I'm sure you will get some responses from cruisers with different opinions.

If you have time, you can check out my wife's pictures below to get an idea of RC and Princess.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Been cruising since the 70's so I remember Old School Cruising .

It's gone from mass market cruising .

Slowly replaced by floating resorts of today .

Just hundreds onboard , Bon Voyage Parties , skeet shooting , views of the ocean from everywhere , midnight buffets , cheaper drinks , so-so entertainers , ships that looked like a ship .

Oh but yes , adjusted for inflation , much more $$$ .

Edited by MCC retired

None of the mainstream lines will offer the "classy experience" that you seem to want...cruising has been "dumbed down"...considerably in the last few years. If a cruise line has a formal or elegant night...feel free to dress up...some will, but most won't. You will not be out of place...even if everyone else is!

Edited by cb at sea

Cunard has traditional fixed dining, formal nights that really mean formal, afternoon tea, and live music in the ballroom. The trade off for you is that the Queens are rarely in US southern ports. QM2 sails out of NY while the QE or QV only sail in or out of Florida as part of a world voyage.

We are 50 plus and have been on 20+ cruises (Platinum on Carnival) We are looking to step it up to a little nicer experience. Something with better dining and a nice dance venue in the evenings. Would like to continue to sail out of U.S. southern ports. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

What your looking for seem to fit well with Cunard's Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth but they don't do the us southern ports very often.

Next option I would suggest is Princess and Holland America. You will find that they have lots of cruises.

We have 50+ cruises... lost count on 9 different lines: presently cruise Princess, Holland American Cunard and Celebrity in this order of preference... all over a similar product. They are all owned by Carnival.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You might want to consider Princess, HAL, or Celebrity.

HAL -- just completed a 21 day repositioning cruise.

Not formal anymore -- Gala nights -- most men wore a shirt and tie -- no jackets.

"The Band" which plays in the Ocean Bar where there is a small dance floor, usually only played for an hour (5 - 6) as they were the musicians for the shows in the show lounge. There is the Adagio Duo in the Explorer's Lounge -- a piano player and violin player -- no place to dance. Northern Lights (Disco) is being removed from the Vista and Signature class ships so that the Lincoln Center can be put in -- music -- but no place to dance.

The closest you will get to the more formal ocean liner experience of yesterday [at least from the ships that I've sailed aboard recently] would be aboard the ships of Cunard and Crystal. If you don't mind sailing on ships that can be as much as 600 feet shorter then the mega ships popular today offering more of a 'Vegas at Sea Experience' take a look at lines like Seaborne and the few others that still have a mostly in tact dress code. Those specialty lines don't cater to the mainstream vacationer market the mega ships created and rule. Most would agree that they do an outstanding job catering to as many as 6,000 guests but if you do wear a Tux on formal nights there's a good chance that 5,950 passengers will be staring at you like you're a space alien. Careful though, because booking a mass market cruise ship after you've experienced the more formal section of the cruise industry won't be easy.

Sadly, I think that the "old school" tradition sails mainly from the UK.. Fred Olsen, Cunard and the adult only ships of Saga, C&M and the non-family P&O ships.. You might be able to pick up one of those on a world cruise section which touches the US, but it will most likely mean a flight back home. :)

My first cruise was in 1970 on Rotterdam V. I regret that I was unable to sail on the great liners of the 1950's and 1960's that were truly "old school" in today's terms. I chose Rotterdam V in part because she was built and was being operated in the "old school" tradition.

When I cruise, I have no problem being as "old school" as I desire. It makes no difference as to the cruise line. If I want to wear my tux on Formal/Gala/Whatever Night, I will do so. I am pleased when fellow guests are properly attired, but not surprised anymore when the fellow in jeans and a "formal" T-Shirt makes an appearance. Yes, the cruise experience has changed since 1970. Some for the good; some not, in my opinion.

But, there are 5 reasons that keep me returning to cruising. I enjoy meeting people who are sharing the joy of our journey, visiting ports, sometimes old and sometimes new, the activities and the crew on whatever ship I am sailing, the sights, sounds, and smell of the ocean, and the beauty of the night sky when at sea.

Edited by rkacruiser

My first cruise was in 1970 on Rotterdam V. I regret that I was unable to sail on the great liners of the 1950's and 1960's that were truly "old school" in today's terms. I chose Rotterdam V in part because she was built and was being operated in the "old school" tradition.

When I cruise, I have no problem being as "old school" as I desire. It makes no difference as to the cruise line. If I want to wear my tux on Formal/Gala/Whatever Night, I will do so. I am pleased when fellow guests are properly attired, but not surprised anymore when the fellow in jeans and a "formal" T-Shirt makes an appearance. Yes, the cruise experience has changed since 1970. Some for the good; some not, in my opinion.

But, there are 5 reasons that keep me returning to cruising. I enjoy meeting people who are sharing the joy of our journey, visiting ports, sometimes old and sometimes new, the activities and the crew on whatever ship I am sailing, the sights, sounds, and smell of the ocean, and the beauty of the night sky when at sea.

I agree with you. I don't own a tux, but I enjoy dressing in a three piece suit and seeing my wife dressed in a long gown. I regret that we didn't discover the cruising experience earlier in our lives. It must have been a wonderful experience to be on a cruise "back in the day."

You have a great way of expressing the 5 reasons that keep you returning to cruising. My wife and I feel the same way about it. Happy cruising!

What your looking for seem to fit well with Cunard's Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth but they don't do the us southern ports very often.

Next option I would suggest is Princess and Holland America. You will find that they have lots of cruises.

We have 50+ cruises... lost count on 9 different lines: presently cruise Princess, Holland American Cunard and Celebrity in this order of preference... all over a similar product. They are all owned by Carnival.

Small point, Celebrity is not owned by Carnival.

I have been on Costa, RCL, Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, and Celebrity. For a more traditional cruise, I would go with Celebrity or Princess. Both are a bit more elegant and service, quality, and dining see to be that much better. There is more focus on classical music, afternoon tea, etc. I love cruising anywhere, anytime, on any ship, but I think that Princess and Celebrity might best meet your needs. My parents have been on the Queen Mary 2 (Cunard) and that was definitely a more elegant experience.

I'd recommend Crystal......there is still a high percentage of men who dress up (even in tuxedos) on most dinner nights, and their (ocean) ships have lots of space, almost no crowds, great food, and wonderful service. Ballroom dance music most nights, piano or string quartets in the central lounge, a cigar room, a bridge room, a wonderful library, and -- best of all -- no announcements about anything other than safety (and the captain's update). No enticements to buy drinks or play bingo, no announcements of classes or movies starting, etc. It really makes for a very calm and relaxing atmosphere, IMO.

It's also virtually all-inclusive, which also makes for a relaxing atmosphere as there are no chits to sign or cards to swipe.