"Come As You Are" Cruise?

pseudoware

Would this cruise interest anyone? No need to pack formal wear, or smart casual, for that matter. No "recommended" attire. Where the theme in the MDR each night is "No shirt? No shoes? No problem!"

Of course, any pax are welcome to wear a suit, cocktail dress, etc. if that's their preference. But really, anything goes. Would you book this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Would this cruise interest anyone? No need to pack formal wear, or smart casual, for that matter. No "recommended" attire. Where the theme in the MDR each night is "No shirt? No shoes? No problem!"

Of course, any pax are welcome to wear a suit, cocktail dress, etc. if that's their preference. But really, anything goes. Would you book this?

Sounds like a nudist cruise. "Bare Necessities" or whatever it's called?

What other people wear - or don't wear - is of much concern to me. It affects the overall atmosphere of the ship. It's not festive if I'm wearing a cocktail dress but a table mate is wearing cargo shorts and a tee shirt.

It's not for me and no way would I book such a sailing

No, I would not. I think it is already shameful how some people dress for the dining rooms. If one cannot dress appropriately, there are other venues if you want to wear flip flops and tee shirts.....such as the buffet.

I second that. Although I don't really care if someone wears a suit or dress slacks etc on formal night, I wouldn't want to cruise a cruise line with a "come as you are" motto. I would really hate to go to dinner when no shoes, no shirt, no problem, is allowed. People already push the edge with what is allowed in the dining room..

NEVER in a million years would I subject myself to what other people consider to be perfectly acceptable attire to go out in public in.

I have seen too many 'People of Walmart' compilations.

basic hygiene alone requires footwear. shirts are just polite. no-one wants to see Uncle Hairy shirtless in the MDR. bad enough we had to see him by the pool.

whatever happened to just a basic sense of decency when it comes to presenting yourself in public?

I am the first person to admit that when I am home lounging about my dress standard are beyond lax. between I am out n public where other people are forced to see me, I at least TRY and look like I know what acceptable fashion is.

Sounds like a nudist cruise. "Bare Necessities" or whatever it's called?

It does and it doesn't.

Shirts, bottoms, shoes, however ARE required in the MDR and Specialty restaurants on the BN Large Ship cruises.

There are cabins left for the one on the Celebrity Constellation Feb 6-16, 2016, so y'all come!

No, I would not. I like to see people looking nice at dinner in a beautiful restaurant.

This!

My son, who was 18 at the time, and I ate lunch in the MDR on a recent cruise during a sea day. We were dressed nicely, but not the way we'd dress for dinner. The dress code for these sea day lunches is understandably more casual. We felt funny being so under-dressed in such a lovely venue.

Post of the day!! What others wear is of little concern for me. As a fyi, Freestyle as in NCL, has little to do with what you wear and a lot to do with having choices, i.e. when, where and with whom you dine and various other choices. There is a "dress code" and it is mostly enforced.;)

What do you mean by "dress code" and "mostly enforced"? If you mean some sort of body and foot covering - yes, NCL has a dress code, and will not accomodate naked people in the dining room. But there is no such thing as a NCL "dress code" in the sense that the term has any real meaning.

To answer OP - no; the sort of cruise he described is likely to attract a critical mass of slobs for whom even "smart casual" is too demanding - with the likely result that "stupid slovenly" will reign supreme.

Come on, really? No shirt? Even McDonald's require a shirt.

First step in researching starting your own cruise line?

Sorry, I won't be investing but good luck.

I'm thinking attire would be more like you'd see at a vacation resort, Hawaii, etc. but w/o "guidelines" or "recommendations."

even with this clarification still no way in hell. I have no desire to be surrounded by ratty tee shirts from a concert you saw 30 years ago when stoned out of your gourd , Hello Kitty fleece bottoms and slippers.

or Daisy Dukes and a bikini top.

these days they are ALREADY pretty relaxed and no longer white gloves and pearls level.

is it SO hard to pack a single pair of khaki pants and a couple of golf shirts for the guys to wear at dinner?

and for us wimminfolk.. well I already live in day dresses that take me from beach to bar to MDR without having to change.

Not interested at all. In my experience, when you lower the standard on dress, you can expect a lowered standard of attitude and behavior to be close behind. I did crazy spring breaks 30 plus years ago, and have no desire to re-enact any of that and call it a cruise.

This is not to say I would not be in favor of a strictly enforced dress code that did not require tuxes, suits and ties, but allowing shorts, jeans flip-flops, baseball caps, wife beaters and t shirts dumbs down the cruise experience to be no more special than a trip to the Golden Coral.

I would be fine with collared shirts, and nice slacks, leather shoes (no tennies) and an occasional sports jacket, but as soon as you ease up the code at all, some will see that as permission to come to dinner in sponge bob and super-hero pajama pants.

Yes, I would book that cruise. I'm not personally interested in formal nights and dressing to the nines, ever. So I don't eat in the MDR on those nights, or chose cruise lines that aren't formal. I honestly don't care what others wear, just as I hope nobody is putting my travel wardrobe under a magnifying glass.

Something about being on a ship makes some people overly concerned about what others wear, for some reason.

I've been on non-cruise vacations where there's no dress code, and still, this hairy, wife beater wearing inbred and his daisy-duke-riding-below-her-tramp-stamp girlfriend that many people seem to revere are nowhere to be found. Not really sure what all the fuss is about.

Edited by pseudoware

No, I would not book such a cruise.

No matter the ship or cruise line, it wouldn't interest me.

Sounds like NCL. ;)

Admittedly I've only sailed NCL once but it was this past summer and I did not encounter people dressed or undressed to the point of inappropriate but for a few. Almost every evening, no matter in which restaurant we dined, the vast majority of the guests were dressed appropriately with ladies in slacks/skirts and tops or sundresses, some in jeans but we find that on HAL, as well. Gents were in polo jerseys and dockers or jeans for the most part. Sure there were some short and some t shirts but I wasn't at all bothered by fellow guests attire.

Edited by sail7seas

In my younger days, I want on several scuba diving cruises ( 3 or 4 dives per day.) There was no dress code for dining.

Nowadays, we definitely would not participate in this cruise.

Scott & Karen