9:25AM flight after Harmony: Yay or Nay?

Let me start by saying I have read many threads about making an early flight after an Oasis-class ship in Port Everglades. My gut is telling me not to book this flight because it will be March/Spring Break season. Is this even remotely possible with self-assist and being in the first few groups off the ship? I don't have any status with Royal (lowly Emerald), so I know I won't be in the privileged groups who get to depart first (suite guest, diamonds, etc).

My reasons for wanting this early flight is the direct nature and the price. The next direct flight on Southwest is at 7:30PM and I'd rather not do that. I can take a direct Delta flight but it is $600 more, and I'm not wanting that either. Let me also say I am not afraid of taking risks every now again. A few weeks ago we departed the Carnival Vista in Miami and easily made a 9:55AM flight out of FLL (did platinum self-assist). We were literally in the first group of 10 people getting off the ship at 7AM.

I have not attempted this out of Port Everglades. Please talk me out/into this!! :confused:

I can't speak to Port Everglades but FYI, status has nothing to do with self-assist on RCI. Self-assist is open to all levels and will allow you to be one of the first off the ship.

We were on HOTS this past March....the earliest off is express departure which started at 6:30am....We certainly weren't doing this so didn't see if it worked for those that were. So since you are a risk taker...your decision to try and hope everything goes according to plan...best of luck.

I suggest getting into the self assist line at bedtime, get a camp chair and sleeping bag, so you can get in front of the other 1000 people who have the same idea. Did you check to see how many ships are in port that day. Can have an effect on how many people are going to the airport and the security lines there. Other people have said and done the "sure, no problem, I was off at 6:30 at the airport by 6:45 and the gate by 7, you never know. Have a back up plan.

My gut is telling me not to book this flight

Sometimes it's very wise to listen to your gut.

I can tell you that this past March we sailed into Port Everglades on HAL's Zuiderdam about 90 minutes late because of a diversion to Grand Cayman on our way back for a medical evacuation. People were not leaving the ship until 8 am or so, and the lines to clear customs by 8:30 were very long.

As a previous poster said, if you book that early flight, have a backup plan that is workable, and be prepared to shell out $$ if it goes into effect.

Let me start by saying I have read many threads about making an early flight after an Oasis-class ship in Port Everglades. My gut is telling me not to book this flight because it will be March/Spring Break season. Is this even remotely possible with self-assist and being in the first few groups off the ship? I don't have any status with Royal (lowly Emerald), so I know I won't be in the privileged groups who get to depart first (suite guest, diamonds, etc).

My reasons for wanting this early flight is the direct nature and the price. The next direct flight on Southwest is at 7:30PM and I'd rather not do that. I can take a direct Delta flight but it is $600 more, and I'm not wanting that either. Let me also say I am not afraid of taking risks every now again. A few weeks ago we departed the Carnival Vista in Miami and easily made a 9:55AM flight out of FLL (did platinum self-assist). We were literally in the first group of 10 people getting off the ship at 7AM.

I have not attempted this out of Port Everglades. Please talk me out/into this!! :confused:

Having TSA pre-check could make all the difference.

If you don't have it, get it. (Or Global Entry, if you ever fly outside the U.S.)

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Don't do it.

You can do it with no problem. I have done it a few times once on Harmony in Dec. and Allure in Apr. I use the passport app, carry my bags off at 6:50. I start down to the elevator. Call my ride as I'm going down the gangway. Usually outside by 7:10. The airport is less then 10 minuets. So I go eat breakfast, then leave there around 8:00 get to airport with plenty of time to check in. I do fly first class so I do cut the security line. And still sit around for awhile waiting. My flights were 9:30 and the other was 9:45. I am doing the same in Oct 9:30 flight home from FFL.

It may be possible, but do you really want to end a wonderful vacation with rushing around and stress? Also, I am guessing that the later flight on Southwest will be sold out. Therefore, if you don't make your booked flight, you will either have to pay to move to another carrier, or pay for a hotel that night - with a lot of running around in between. If it were me, I would either get a hotel day-room, or find somewhere to check my bags for the day and enjoy the Florida sunshine for one more day.

we did it about a month ago, we had a 950am flight. we did self walk off at 745am, were at the airport by 815 or so. longest lines were checking into the airport and security. we would have made a 925. we had time to spare to get coffee and breakfast.

You can do it with no problem. I have done it a few times once on Harmony in Dec. and Allure in Apr. I use the passport app, carry my bags off at 6:50. I start down to the elevator. Call my ride as I'm going down the gangway. Usually outside by 7:10. The airport is less then 10 minuets. So I go eat breakfast, then leave there around 8:00 get to airport with plenty of time to check in. I do fly first class so I do cut the security line. And still sit around for awhile waiting. My flights were 9:30 and the other was 9:45. I am doing the same in Oct 9:30 flight home from FFL.

I think that's a pretty significant detail that probably does not apply to most travelers.

we did self assist last cruise We got in line around 7 am and we were about 1000 people from the front Once off the ship going through customs was slow Upon arrival to airport security was crazy I was worried we would miss our flight (11:30!) We didn't but it took hours of waiting It may have been 'one of those days'

Don't forget, if you have to check bags, you need to be checked in by 8:25. That being said, I booked with SW and knew I was not going to make the cut off time. I called SW to let them know I would be missing my flight and they put me on another flight. 7:30 though is a long time to wait for the next flight.....

I think that's a pretty significant detail that probably does not apply to most travelers.

First class doesn't give you much of a leg up with security. TSA Pre is the way to go.

And to the OP, I didn't get in the self-assist line early when we disembarked Oasis at Port Everglades. We asked at Guest Services a couple days before how the process works, and she said it's best to just come down at 6:45 after all the people waiting have gotten off at 6:30. We did exactly that. At 6:45 we walked down and straight off the ship, then straight to immigration with no a single person ahead of us at any point. We were outside within a few minutes, in the truck and home (20 minute drive) by 7:20.

I would take the 9:25AM flight in a heartbeat. You can't predict delays. You could get stuck in a parking lot on the highway due to an accident and miss a flight. And the ship could be delayed for an unforeseen reason, too. I wouldn't plan on these issues.

If everything does "normal" (which it almost always does) - you'll end up sitting at the airport for a good hour before boarding.

Our Harmony cruise last December you would have missed it, our Indy cruise in April you would have been at the airport with two hours to spare. 50/50 chance. We've gotten to port before to have the disembarkation process delayed because a passenger was being transferred to a hospital by ambulance. No one got off until they were transferred to the ambulance and the ambulance left. We've also have had times where there was a big delay with customs which the ship has no control over.

If you decide on the early flight good luck! Don't forget you need to get your bags checked in an hour before.

If you decide on the later flight you can drop your bags at a hotel and have them store your bags and wander around Ft Lauderdale for the day, there is also a baggage storage place at the airport (never used them but see signs at the airport). We have been fortunate and have been able to check our bags early AM for an evening flight but not all airlines will do that, we have also done the Everglades tour, checked our bags & went back to the beach area to eat before a flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP here...thanks for all the replies. I found a 2PM direct flight on Jet Blue I think I'm going to book. The early flight and getting home by noon and not having to waste all day sitting in an airport is very appealing, but I feel it's a bit risky with the crush of spring break. I haven't been on an Oasis class ship since 2015 so I don't remember the disembarkation instructions and we didn't do self assist anyways on that trip.

I would also be stressing out big time and I don't want to ruin the last day of the cruise. My recent attempt at the 9:55 flight I had a strong feeling I would be successful as I knew I could get off the ship first and had a backup plan of renting a car (was going to Orlando only). I would probably attempt it on Carnival only because I am guaranteed being in the first group off the ship (platinum self assist).

Sailed Allure in June, arrived on a Sunday, only Ship in Port I believe.

Our Flight was at 9:30 from FLL. Self Assist Line was moving by 6:35, we were thru Customs before 7:00 and at Airport Gate by 7:45.

Everything worked for us. We are doing the same for our HOTS Sailing (10:00 am Flight) in September and have Fingers Crossed.

It appears that one other Ship will be in Port Everglades when Harmony is in Port.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Interesting. So now I'm wondering what was meant by "I do fly first class so I do cut the security

When you fly first class,

You have priority check in. So checking in a bag is quick tops 5 minutes get boarding passes.

They have a priority line for first class. So you go right to the front passing the people in the regular line. Then you go right to the screening area. Never wait in line more then 3 minutes before I'm in the scanning area. Thru security in 5 minutes.

You should try it, it's nice. Better seat and free drinks a meal. My cruise starts when I first sit on the plane and have a jack and coke while the back of the plane loads up. Also first class luggage comes out first at baggage clam. Well worth the few bucks more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums