Prices are way up

Redtravel

I like Celebrity. As an elite, I have been on many cruisers on Celebrity/Azamara. I have also cruised on other lines. Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? On a cruise in Jan. 2014, I booked a cruise for Jan. 2015. I watch fares using a fare watcher app. The fares have almost doubled. If that continues, high prices may make me reconsider future bookings. Would you pay double for your next cruise?

I like Celebrity. As an elite, I have been on many cruisers on Celebrity/Azamara. I have also cruised on other lines. Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? On a cruise in Jan. 2014, I booked a cruise for Jan. 2015. I watch fares using a fare watcher app. The fares have almost doubled. If that continues, high prices may make me reconsider future bookings. Would you pay double for your next cruise?

I have done a lot of cruising and price checking. I have a max price I will pay, and be happy with it, if the price doesn't drop. If I can't get it at my price I'll stay home. If that means no more cruising, so be it.

Would I pay double for my next cruise? No! However, as costs for everything rise, I do expect the cost of cruising to rise. As long as I feel we are getting good value, we will continue to cruise. I shop around and go where the value is best. Our last and next cruise was/is on Celebrity. I feel that we got a decent price and hopefully, our next cruise will be as delightful as our last one was.

Happy cruising!

i like celebrity. As an elite, i have been on many cruisers on celebrity/azamara. I have also cruised on other lines. Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? On a cruise in jan. 2014, i booked a cruise for jan. 2015. I watch fares using a fare watcher app. The fares have almost doubled. If that continues, high prices may make me reconsider future bookings. Would you pay double for your next cruise?

no.

We have our own price in mind and will also give up cruising if fares exceed our comfort level.

So far we have been very fortunate in finding cruises at a very good rate no longer available.

There are certain itineraries that are way beyond our willingness to pay.

It's all about supply and demand! I also have a Jan 2015 cruise booked and the price has skyrocketed, but there are very few cabins left so it's a popular cruise. I always book very early so feel I get a good price, but I also then watch prices in case they go down so I can get a price adjustment.

It seems to pay off to either book very early or late after final payment on the popular cruises.

Viewed cruise for November 2015 for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Found price of $999 for balcony. Am on fence on booking being so far out, but that price seems good for me.

What I have seen though is the hike in prices for suites. Not just this line but all cruise lines.

Edited by FireEater

Prices are up also on RCI to an even greater extent to the point that they're sometimes more expensive than Celebrity for a similar cabin/cruise.

Prices are up (in my recent experience) for airfares.

Prices are up for housing and beef and….. well you get the picture. So if prices keep rising, I'll cruise less. I'm already cutting back from 4 cruises/year to 2/year. I guess I'm glad I got a lot of the "cruising bug" out of my system while it was still affordable.

AI's are also up but not as drastically as cruises. I may do more of them if the vacation bug bites.

I also agree w/ the above about booking early. My last 6 cruises kept rising, and even after final payment when prices usually drop, they were still much higher than I originally paid.

Prices are up also on RCI to an even greater extent to the point that they're sometimes more expensive than Celebrity for a similar cabin/cruise.

Prices are up (in my recent experience) for airfares.

Prices are up for housing and beef and….. well you get the picture. So if prices keep rising, I'll cruise less. I'm already cutting back from 4 cruises/year to 2/year. I guess I'm glad I got a lot of the "cruising bug" out of my system while it was still affordable.

AI's are also up but not as drastically as cruises. I may do more of them if the vacation bug bites.

I also agree w/ the above about booking early. My last 6 cruises kept rising, and even after final payment when prices usually drop, they were still much higher than I originally paid.

Exactly, what I think, prices on everything are up!!!!!!!! But that maybe be a good thing for some people, but RETIRED on simi fixed income the prices are h harder to budget for.

I do agree booking early is better than waiting but this is for the popular cruise times Holidays etc and winter getaways. I still see reasonable cruise prices especially on RC in the slower months .

It's all about supply and demand and timing of your purchase.

To me, this chart shows that fares went up in Fall of 2012, came back down Fall of 2013, and appear to be now slightly less than fall of 2013.

Suites being the obvious outlier in general terms, and but for an occasional fare spike.

CrusieFares_zps9c082429.jpg

Edited by cle-guy

First of all commodity prices in the US are up significantly. Just go to the grocery store or hardware store. Inflation is going to be a bear once the FED had to allow interest rates to rise once more.

Second, Celebrity's 123Go promotions with bennies like expensive drink packages push up the overall prices.

I would rather see overall prices drop and Celebrity pare back its expensive promotions.

Third, with the turmoil in the Middle East, fuel prices are moving up.

I am glad that we booked our Singapore to Dubai as well as Around Japan cruises for 2015, since both are sold out now.

No. An AQ gty, adjusted for perks, is still twice what we paid year before last for a selected AQ cabin.

Even an obstructed verandah on Deck 6 is $1600 higher.

Same with RCI. A Junior Suite is $800pp higher for the same 7 night Med cruise we did last year.

I understand that costs are going up for everything, but not to this extreme.

The perks are nice; however, I prefer the simplicity of booking what we want, then watching for price drops, including a senior discount on one, a resident discount on another. There is also a certain amount of satisfaction watching the fares go up, knowing we booked at the right time, as happened last year on RCI.

No, I wouldn't pay double but I also don't find Celebrity's prices to be that high. Next years med cruise is less than $200 PP more than we paid on Millennium back in 2005. And this time we have $200 OBC, free grats and a drink package. Yes, there have been some bargains in the past, but I never considered them normal prices.

I found on this year's Eclipse TA, I got the Penthouse for less than a Royal Suite I had last year on the same ship, 13 night TA to Southampton. All in timing...and flexibility.

And of course 1-2-3 perks don't apply to TA's so aren't a factor in the pricing scheme.

Edited by cle-guy

No, I wouldn't. As another poster said, there is a max some of us believe is a proper value even if we could afford it. Our first Celebrity Cruise was a real bargain. We got a 14 day cruise with air (from an online agency) for about the price of the airfare to Australia/NZ. This was at the economic bottom, IIRC, and the price increases mean more demand is there. I think that means I will grab a bargain when I see it rather than wait.

Do you mind telling us what cruise you booked and watched? I will read the rest and if you've already posted that, please disregard this request.

I don't base my purchases on what something cost a year ago or two years ago, if I did I guess there might be a lot of things I wouldn't be enjoying. I look at the price and if I feel that it is worth spending my money on it, then I purchase it...the same goes for cruises. I've got three Celebrity cruises book and to be perfectly honest, I didn't look to see if one cost more than the other or if the 2014 cruises were more or less.

Viewed cruise for November 2015 for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Found price of $999 for balcony. Am on fence on booking being so far out, but that price seems good for me.

What I have seen though is the hike in prices for suites. Not just this line but all cruise lines.

Go for it. :D

I estimate final payment for your cruise is probably around early September, '15. If you change your mind or find a better deal, till that date, you can get your deposit back.

My first choice is aft sky suite on S Class ships. If prices are too high 2nd choice is AQ. If price is still too high I would go to regular balcony. I would not want to cruise without a balcony as we spend a lot of time there.

I went on a cruise last January 2014 and booked the same 14 day cruise for next year while on board. It is almost the same price, but I also noticed that the price as been going up rapidly. I suspect it is based on supply and demand and they have sold a lot cabins. Some are already sold out.

We have booked the same cruise the same cat for Nov 2014, Mar 2015 and Mar 2016, the same perks and promos and there was a little differnce in price of about $100.

Since we booked some have risen in price or now not available.

I have noticed though that the same cruise at a different time in the year is about double. This is how it has always been and that is why I cruise during the cheap period.

Are you comparing the same cruise and the same time period? The other sometimes depends on how close the cruising date is, most times if it is before the final payment the prices will raise, after they may decrease but it is rare and if they do decrease the perks aren't there.

Happy sailings 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

10 years ago we book a cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Chile. It was cheaper than flying. We were in CC and it was about $1900 each for two weeks. Now it is $2800. I personally do not think that is excessive for 10 years.

I book way in advance, and rarely check the prices. For what we book, the suites, they go up in price as it gets closer to sailing, if they are available.

Just booked New Zealand for Fall 2015, and thought the rate was fine. If you see a trip you want to take, then book it, and don't wait ,as someone else might get the cabin.

We have one booked in Feb and the same situation for us, It was booked when the BOGOHO sale first started and it was a group booking. I would NOT pay the current asking price. It is about $1000 pp more now for a balcony cabin.

Has anyone noticed that the prices have gone way up? Would you pay double for your next cruise?

I too, am concerned about rising cruise prices. My last four bookings with Celebrity show a rather ALARMING trend. :mad:

October of 2013, 15 nights for $449pp. ($250 OBC)

April of 2014, 15 nights for $630pp. ($250 OBC)

October of 2014, 15 nights for $649pp. ($350 OBC)

April of 2015, 14 nights for $699pp. ($450 OBC)

If this keeps up, in only 5 or 6 years, I might be paying the AVERAGE price. :eek: