It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

For many of us this is great news. As so many have discussed, due to the limitations of baggage when flying this makes more sense. It's much more sensible to approach dress code this way. The article is in the news section.

Just read the article and 'evening chic' sounds like the same requirements as 'smart casual'...what's the difference?

Dockers and a button down would be smart casual. Evening Chic would be your black pants, beautiful purple shirt and a waistcoat....Just an example, I don't expect you to run to Banana Republic for a purple shirt :)

I also like this news, though it won't affect us. My husband and granddaughter will still dress to the nines and expect me to follow suit. I'm the only one who doesn't care for formal night in our family and I'm easily bullied into compliance. :)

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I had heard a rumour that Celebrity was giving up on Formal Nights. The subject rapidly turned into yet another 'dress code' discussion and the thread was, quite rightly, closed by the moderators. Now today we hear that the rumour becomes fact and from December those special nights will become 'Chic' rather than formal. I expect we will now hear from all those who will be happy to see the back of formal and also those who regret it. Personally, I liked dressing up and will still do so. Chic or Formal, still special nights.

1st time on Celebrity, was actually looking forward to getting my man back in a jacket and tie. (Good photo op). He just called me at work and said the check my email.....he was doing the happy dance that he did not have to wear his jacket. Oh well, he has some nice taylored shirts and pants that he has wore on past cruises.

For us ladies it will still be our posh frock night. Certainly gives the males a bit more flexibility.

Tempted not to let my husband and son see this, I do love seeing them dressed up in their suits!

Two years ago we were on RCI Liberty OF THE Seas during Thanksgiving week. People came into the MDR in the evenings in short shorts with holes and bathing suit apparel. We switched our Family Thanksgiving cruise to Celebrity where people know how to dress appropriately. With this new relaxed dress code for formal night (which is fine with me) I am really hoping not to see anyone admitted to the various restaurants on other evenings in cut off short shorts, tanks tops and flip flops.

I'm happy.

But

Our cruise is this coming Saturday on Reflection. Wish the switchover was earlier. I'll still bring my formal. DH was deciding between his tux or a suit. I'll tell him suit.

Do you really think that they'll enforce the old requirements have announced the change? I suspect that you'll be ok wearing the new order of dress.

I also just received this email. If you click on the link that says learn more, it still list the number of formal nights by length of the cruise.

Per the email:

Evening Chic evolutions include

Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captains Reception

Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new officer hosted tables

Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update check!)

Evening Chic sailing departing December 4 and beyond.

So, what does this mean??? DW just bought a new dress for formal night on our upcoming Dec 6 sailing.

I'm happy.

But

Our cruise is this coming Saturday on Reflection. Wish the switchover was earlier. I'll still bring my formal. DH was deciding between his tux or a suit. I'll tell him suit.

If I'm going to take a suit, I'll take a tux. Same difference in packing and every man looks better in a tux than an other attire he could wear. Trouble for me is the space in the suitcase. We've got three in a row coming up and my wife likes to dress up. So do I, but those darn weight restrictions are killing me.