Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you are sailing from but if from UK have a look at P&O. They sail to the Canaries and for children under 24 months you need to phone for a special price. The price you have is excessive for a 9 month old considering they don't get the benefit of the Kids Club or eat the food etc.

Royal does run "Kids Sail Free" promotions occasionally. When they are offered, they typically can only be applied to cruises during times when school is in session. We sailed on a KSF promotion last November and paid only port fees and taxes for my three kids. It was awesome!

I know Disney used to charge only port fees for anyone under 2 years old. Not sure if they do it anymore, but I would imagine the increase cost for adult fare on Disney would offset the savings for your little one.

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

Kids actually create more work for the staff .

In all fairness, small children, especially those who are not yet toilet trained, should not have their cost based on how much they eat. Their costs are more appropriately in all the little extra things that have to be stocked so they can have a safe cruise. Personally, I know I would be willing to pay a pretty high price for a life jacket that fits.

Royal does run "Kids Sail Free" promotions occasionally. When they are offered, they typically can only be applied to cruises during times when school is in session. We sailed on a KSF promotion last November and paid only port fees and taxes for my three kids. It was awesome!

This. We're sailing soon with 2 infants and 2 young children. Over the Labor Day weekend (early September) and again over Thanksgiving (late Nov) they had sales for 3rd and 4th passenger for free, which effectively for us meant kids free, and we were able to rebook at the sale price. I found out about both sales here on CC, and learned to check regularly.

In all fairness, small children, especially those who are not yet toilet trained, should not have their cost based on how much they eat. Their costs are more appropriately in all the little extra things that have to be stocked so they can have a safe cruise. Personally, I know I would be willing to pay a pretty high price for a life jacket that fits.

US Coast Guard approved Infant lifejacket is $40 to $50. You should not have to pay that much extra.

dp

Ships charge "per soul"...even a 9 month old goes toward the lifeboat limits. There are only so many "souls" allowed on the ship at a given time, and they figure the cost to charge based on what they need to make a profit.

Sometimes, they will offer reduced fares for the 3rd or 4th person, but not always. Some do offer "kids" sail free, but the adult prices are usually hiked to compensate.

We just paid the fee for our son that will be 11 months old on his first sailing. I actually don't mind paying it because it limits the amount of small children / babies on the ship. Can you imagine how many crying infants would be on the ships if they were free?

People always argue the point that junior takes up no resources so shouldn't have to pay. But revenue comes from on board spending. For every berth filled by an infant, a berth for an adult who buys the drink package and eats at a specialty restaurant is lost.

Infants also require special handling. Diaper disposal. Extra work by the kitchen staff to provide puréed food. Nursery requirements.

Kids are expensive. And it doesn't matter how old passenger 3 or 4 is. Your teenager who will empty the buffet and leaves a disaster in the cabin pays the same price too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just paid the fee for our son that will be 11 months old on his first sailing. I actually don't mind paying it because it limits the amount of small children / babies on the ship. Can you imagine how many crying infants would be on the ships if they were free?

GREAT answer! And one more reason I am happy infants, kids pay the same as an adult. BTW - I cruise solo so have to pay full price for my none existent roommate. I don't mind as it is my choice to cruise or not cruise. Sorry - on this issue I don't have sympathy.

Just so everyone is aware I do not have an issue paying money at all for my daughter to go on the cruise. But I believe paying the same price as myself is to much. £6-700 would not bother me at all

It's ridiculous that they should charge the same fare. What exactly are they providing for a babe in arms to justify that amount? :o

Not sure where you are sailing from but if from UK have a look at P&O. They sail to the Canaries and for children under 24 months you need to phone for a special price. The price you have is excessive for a 9 month old considering they don't get the benefit of the Kids Club or eat the food etc.

Many thanks I will try this

Kids actually create more work for the staff .

In what way? She is still a babe in arms, not eating their food, taking up only space in a 'pack and play' crib, not using any amenities. What exactly are they providing for her that takes a lot more work?

Just so everyone is aware I do not have an issue paying money at all for my daughter to go on the cruise. But I believe paying the same price as myself is to much. £6-700 would not bother me at all

It wasn't the price that bothered us, it was the fact that we didn't have the comforts of home and were in a much smaller confines in the cabin. That is why we limited our "vacation" travel with our DS until he was almost 5. He did airplane travel to on 3 occasions before he was 4, but the destination was a home.

It is the decision that only you yourself can make.

This is a great article to read about travelling with children. It really puts it in a good perspective.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/angie-campanelli/travelling-with-chidren_b_14682540.html

Edit: a direct quote from the article.... "If you're planning a trip with children (primarily under the age of five), the key to maximizing your enjoyment is lowering your expectations. Picture the bottom of the proverbial barrel, then scrape it a little bit, and now we're on track".