Caribbean cruising in hurricane season

tbmrt

We booked a cruise for my husband's birthday in September even though I know it's a "hurricane month".

Worried that cruise will be cancelled due to hurricane. Has this ever happened to anyone?

I know that the ships reroute when a hurricane is headed to a planned port.

Interested in some of your experiences with this.

Trying not to worry about this, but still!!

We've had about a dozen cruises during September, more if you include the entire hurricane "season". Only one was re-rerouted due to weather. I don't worry about it.

They most likely won't cancel, but will change the itinerary. For instance, if you were going to Bahamas and key west and the hurricane is going there, you will likely go to Cozumel and Belize. They go around the bad weather.

Once or twice that I know of, the return port was changed and they bussed people back to the original point, but that was in Galveston when the port was flooded etc. Extreme circumstance.

Once a cruise departing New Jersey for a tropical port wound up going to Canada and everyone had to buy cool weather clothes because they had only packed summer stuff...

Go and have fun!

We are on a September cruise Quebec to New York - it would be great if, after stopping at Charlottetown, PEI, a hurricane would force diversion to Bermuda - we've been to Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport.

There is no such thing as a useless "ill wind".

There are many threads out there about this, but I'll just say that as you can see from my signature, we have encountered (the remnants of or actual) three hurricanes during cruising. At no time were we in actual jeopardy, but the seas were rough.

Try to relax - it's beyond your control anyway. :)

Hurricanes can form anytime the ocean is warm....so forget about the "season"...it doesn't mean there WILL be a storm, or that the seas are any different than any other time!

Yes...if there is a storm, the ship will re-route. They will not put their costly ship in danger!

You have been cruising for many years and have been on CC for many years. I'm sure you already know that hurricane season is six months out of the year. You already cruised SIX times during hurricane season. Were any of your cruises cancelled? :o

The only thing you really need to worry about is a hurricane that keeps you from getting to the port--whether disrupting your travel plans or closing the port itself. Last year, Hurricane Matthew's forecasted track caused authorities to close several East Coast ports: Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, and Charleston. Several cruises were affected.

We sailed from Port Everglades in August 2014 during Hurricane Bertha. Fortunately, the captain steered our ship away from the storm. We had a beautiful sunny and calm day at sea instead of going to Princess's private island in the Bahamas.

The only thing you really need to worry about is a hurricane that keeps you from getting to the port--whether disrupting your travel plans or closing the port itself. Last year, Hurricane Matthew's forecasted track caused authorities to close several East Coast ports: Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, and Charleston. Several cruises were affected.

We sailed from Port Everglades in August 2014 during Hurricane Bertha. Fortunately, the captain steered our ship away from the storm. We had a beautiful sunny and calm day at sea instead of going to Princess's private island in the Bahamas.

Per above, having a hurricane or tropical storm hit your embarkation port is a major concern.

Keep in mind that hurricane season lasts 6-months. As in half the year.

While September is statistically the most active month, they will not cancel a cruise unless your embarkation day coincides with being directly in its path. But I wouldn't worry about it - hurricanes are not as prevalent as you would think. If you do have any concerns, your trip insurance should take care of any problems

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Per above, having a hurricane or tropical storm hit your embarkation port is a major concern.

Exactly what happened with us on our cruise out of Boston when Hurricane (Superstorm) Sandy hit. Stayed in port for two days with a tug pressing up against us day and night. Quite the ride! We finally left port and due to the delayed start, we missed two island stops. BUT there was alcohol and bacon so we were OK with it. ;p:D

I wouldn't worry about it.

Just be prepared to go to different ports.

We booked a B2B cruise a number of years ago for October. The first part of our cruise was to have been a Western Caribbean cruise. After we left Tampa, our first port was Key West. We were scheduled to leave there at 6 PM. At 8 PM we left and I noticed that we were headed east instead of west. Within a few minutes, the captain came on and announced that Hurricane Paula was changing our itinerary.

Didn't bother us what ports we went to.

Just be prepared to go to different ports.

We booked a B2B cruise a number of years ago for October. The first part of our cruise was to have been a Western Caribbean cruise. After we left Tampa, our first port was Key West. We were scheduled to leave there at 6 PM. At 8 PM we left and I noticed that we were headed east instead of west. Within a few minutes, the captain came on and announced that Hurricane Paula was changing our itinerary.

Didn't bother us what ports we went to.

On this subject, give thought to any private excursions you might book. For example, when we booked Nachi Cocum, in Cozumel their website said that if the ship didn't come in your card wouldn't be charged and deposits refunded. I know from experience they are faithful to that.

While I don't normally buy the ships internet, I might want to do some quick research if an alternate port happens. I have to imagine the ships Excursion desk would be real busy, but hopefully the would extend hours. On my next upcoming hurricane season cruise I have booked one ship excursion in CocoCay that I know will be refunded if we don't make it and I have things in mind to cover Key West, Nassau, Freeport just in case.

We had a late August cruise that once encountered a hurricane. We actually made it to all our ports, but then could not get back to Fort Lauderdale for two extra days (ending up returning on Labor Day).

We found out later that the next cruise was totally changed as of ports. I also read that it had only one sitting instead of early and late, which leads me to believe that only about half the passengers made it to embarkation. I know I spoke to the cruise line representative with a sign at the airport, and she had no idea as to how many would and would not show up.

Exactly what happened with us on our cruise out of Boston when Hurricane (Superstorm) Sandy hit. Stayed in port for two days with a tug pressing up against us day and night. Quite the ride! We finally left port and due to the delayed start, we missed two island stops. BUT there was alcohol and bacon so we were OK with it. ;p:D

Thank goodness the basic food groups were covered. :D

Of course my wife would offer the female perspective: What about chocolate?

Thank goodness the basic food groups were covered. :D Of course my wife would offer the female perspective: What about chocolate?

I know, right? Yes, trust me, the chocolate was there. We considered it an adventure, though. It was an interesting perspective to be on a cruise ship that had power, food, and such when so many people on shore were suffering.

I know, right? Yes, trust me, the chocolate was there. We considered it an adventure, though. It was an interesting perspective to be on a cruise ship that had power, food, and such when so many people on shore were suffering.

Speaking of people suffering while on shore---while we rode out the hurricane I posted about earlier, many of us were using the internet to e-mail loved ones to let them know of the revised plans. I still remember one person from Florida who was wondering who he could e-mail to ask to board up his house. Also the captain posted maps of the hurricane's path, and I remember some Caribbean ladies looking at it in horror as it showed the storm was aiming for their home island.