Symphony of the Seas....maybe not so much

It was an absolute pleasure cruising with Royal Caribbean'sSymphony of The Seas this month. However, there are some things that transpiredthroughout this vacation that needs to be brought to your attention. First letme start by saying that my family and I have been on four cruises, two of whichwere with RC. With that said this rating is based on past experiences comparedto now.

1. The windjammer -- This is the first time I have everexperienced so much inconsistency with a cruise buffet. For starters cruiserswere instructed to quickly leave their table after eating because there was ashortage of available space. In addition, there were lines of people waiting tobe seated at the windjammer due to overcrowding. Really??? I'm sorry, but Ithought that RC boasted that this is THE biggest ship in the world. Shouldn'tthere be enough seating accommodations in one of the most popular places to eaton the ship?

2. The Drill -- The mandatory safety drill occurredeffortlessly and without any glitches. The drawback, however, occurred afterthe drill ended. Typically, cruisers are asked to leave the area in an orderlyfashion. Oh no, not this ship. I witnessed as cruisers were being dismissedthere were herds of people rushing for the elevators. People with wheelchairs, canes(my own father is included in this group), and women with small children wereforced to wait until the crowd subsided in order to leave. RC you must dobetter...crew members need to be more observant in matters like this. It iscustomary to allow those with disabilities followed by women with smallchildren to proceed out of the royal theater FIRST. Then dismiss other cruisersaccordingly.

3. Speaking of the Windjammer -- I can appreciate the finechoices of cuisine prepared by the chef's working in the buffet area. However,as you can imagine there were so many things that went wrong. Once again, ifyou boast that you're THE largest cruise ship in the world, then you shouldNEVER make guests wait to have food replenished. I had to ask twice if theserver planned on bringing out more of a particular food that had finished.While I waited, more cruisers joined in the wait, and suddenly a large groupformed. As you can imagine it was quite a scene. This should not be. Knowingthat there are 6,000 guests and 3,000 crew members on board, your crew need tobe more observant and diligent about making sure that the food stays fresh andalways ready to serve for hungry guests. Especially during those days at seaand/or embarkation day. While the food was tasty there were so many times thatI was disappointed. There were times it was cooked and seasoned well, whenother times the food left little to the imagination.

4. Sick Passenger On Board -- I was the unfortunate personwho ended up getting sick while on board. Much to my chagrin, I was quarantinedto my room until the nurse cleared me. Now let me start by saying, RC did ensure that my family and I receive afull refund for our missed excursion, I received complimentary room service,and free movies. Now...here's where my dissatisfaction comes in. As a concernedparent, my mother went down to the guest services center to inquire about whatto do since I became ill and couldn't go outside. Mind you I was vomiting andhad severe diarrhea from 1am till 8am that morning in question. The gentlemanwho attended to her said and I quote, "well you and your husband and justgo without her and leave her in the cabin". EXCUSE ME???? My mother wasoutraged that any one would respond in such a callous manner. Clearly this issomeone who needs more customer sensitivity training. I was weak, had a veryhigh temperature, and couldn't keep anything down. The excursion we had bookedwas for 11hrs, therefore God only knows what would have happened if I wasn'tsupervised since RC medical staff don't visit cabins (something I learned veryquickly). This was outraging.

5. Vitality Spa -- Great spa, however, after booking twovery good facial and massage sessions I DO NOT need to be hustled intopurchasing products. I'm there to relax...this isn't a market place.

I say all of this to say this to you, yes you boast that youhave THE BIGGEST ship in the world, BUT you have some work to do where this onein concerned. If you care about your guest who pay handsomely to enjoy aholiday away from the hustle and bustle of their everyday lives, then do soback making those necessary changes. I did enjoy my cruise despite all of thesethings, but I'm apprehensive about cruising the Symphony of the Seas any timesoon.

Good review. It was unfortunate you became ill during the cruise. Hopefully, things in the areas you experienced dissatisfaction with will be addressed in short order. This is a good example of “bigger is not always better.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand you felt there were issues. I am sorry you were ill on board. Your post seems a bit over dramatic, I cannot imagine what scene was caused by some people who had to wait for food on a buffet—surrounded by so many other choices. And I do not understand why you feel the the staff member needed more sensitivity training. You were ill, you are an adult. Call the medical facility, after treatement, someone from your party should have stayed with you, or you stayed alone. Your choice. Why was guest services involved? Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but to me it is common sense. This being said, there are problems on every vacation. I’m truly glad yours weren’t serious.

I have been on two cruises on the Allure and have experienced some congestion in the Windjammer, but I always blamed myself because I would go at the peak times and I found the Solarium had most of the same choices with no crowds at all. One thing I will have to say is the island setup for food stations is far better than the cafeteria line setup on other ships which makes me want to scream! If you want something in the middle you have to wait through the entire line or risk getting choked by a fellow passenger. Ok, maybe it is not that extreme.

Oasis class ships have so many good options for eating but it seems like everyone forgets and goes straight to the Windjammer especially for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

LucianGirl718, Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sad to hear you were sick. But Glad you ended up having a great Cruise. Don't worry, most people on CC are helpful and nice. You'll just have to figure out how to use the Ignore function.

Happy Cruising

dp

Why do people rate their cruise experience by the experience at the Windjammer? We all know that at times eating there can be a little overwhelming but we go when the crowd is not there or eat at the many other food areas on ship. I believe we all have had little things that annoy us when we cruise, and normally its little. The windjammer is always a hot topic on the boards. Sorry OP got sick. Nobody wants to be ill while cruising but I don't believe its RC fault.

I hate hate hate the windjammer announcements asking you to leave if you are done eating. Rude rude rude. And it is constant.

I've never heard this on any ship. The OP could have been helped with a little research or coming here to cruise critic before, not after her cruise.

I’ve never cruised RCL, but at all of the muster drills I’ve attended, I don’t remember ever hearing handicapped and women with small children first. As someone who has experience traveling with small children, we get places early to get a seat, and chill until the crowds disperse. Is everyone supposed to step aside and let us pass?

Sorry you got sick, but I assume you are an adult? Having had a bunch of kids, I’ve dealt with dozens of stomach bugs, the worst was when I had it myself and still need to take care of sick kids. I’m confused what you were asking the staff for.

I’ve never cruised RCL, but at all of the muster drills I’ve attended, I don’t remember ever hearing handicapped and women with small children first. As someone who has experience traveling with small children, we get places early to get a seat, and chill until the crowds disperse. Is everyone supposed to step aside and let us pass?

I too have never heard an announcement regarding priority departure from muster, with RC and Princess. Around 15 cruises on each line.

I too have never heard an announcement regarding priority departure from muster, with RC and Princess. Around 15 cruises on each line.

Haven't either, 30+ yrs cruising. Couple times employees let couple with canes leave 2 minutes early to beat the rush. Did get run into by electric scooter once. Usually move out of way but didn't see her coming up behind me...

WindJammer, I just go early or late when not so busy...

I hate hate hate the windjammer announcements asking you to leave if you are done eating. Rude rude rude. And it is constant.

I don't find it rude at all.

The Windjammer isn't a Michelin Star dining establishment.

People would sit in there for hours if they let them.

The issues encountered are not specific to Symphony.

1) Asking to leave windjammer is common on Oasis class ships during rush hour. Not enough tables. There are other venues available that tend to be less crowded (Solarium Bistro, Park cafe)

2) The drill. Same with every ship, I've never witnessed priority departure from the drill. The chaos might have been caused by the different culture of your fellow passengers that may not be the same as yours, leaving a venue in a non orderly fashion can be considered normal for some people.

3) Didn't witness this when I was on Symphony but it can happen at any buffet, there are plenty of other choices available.

4) What was the crew member supposed to say ? What kind of answer was your mother seeking ? You already had free room service,free movies for your cabin, excursions refunded, if the condition got worse the medical staff would have been available to you if you called them... I fail to see why your mother had to go and see GS about this when they had already done all they could. What more could they have done ??

5) Happens on all Royal ships.

If you are apprehensive about sailing Symphony in the future, you'll be apprehensive sailing any other Royal ship...

I think it’s a whole lot more rude for people to linger long after they’ve finished eating while others are waiting for tables.

If I had difficulty walking or had little ones in tow, I think it would behoove me to remain seated until the crowed thinned out rather than rush for an elevator.

So sorry you got sick, but seriously, what did your mother want guest services to do? Get you an in room babysitter so she could go on her excursion and not have to worry? Maybe you could have checked into the infirmary and stayed for the day?

Muster Drill-everyone is treated the same (suite or not) you can choose to get in the mess of leaving or just chill out and wait for the rush to end.

Windjammer-It is a buffet, if you choose to eat there sometimes it gets extremely crowded-sometimes they run out of an item-sometimes people sit there too long. So what.

Stomach bug-It happens.-The medical staff see it a lot.-Luckily most humans recover quite quickly-There is only so much a ship or crew can do for you.

Being on a ship doesn't make unpleasant parts of life disappear. Things happen on them just like in our everyday life.

As you get older, you will learn how truly unimportant some things are.

Thatmademy headhurt. The space bar on the keyboard is the biggest for a reason.

The missing spaces are a common occurrence when someone first types their text in another app/software and then copy and pastes it into the reply box. It might only be in specific instances but I see it lots on CC.

dp

Well if inconsiderate people didn’t sit around taking up space when they have finished eating they wouldn’t have to make those announcements...

I have been on two cruises on the Allure and have experienced some congestion in the Windjammer, but I always blamed myself because I would go at the peak times and I found the Solarium had most of the same choices with no crowds at all. One thing I will have to say is the island setup for food stations is far better than the cafeteria line setup on other ships which makes me want to scream! If you want something in the middle you have to wait through the entire line or risk getting choked by a fellow passenger. Ok, maybe it is not that extreme.

Oasis class ships have so many good options for eating but it seems like everyone forgets and goes straight to the Windjammer especially for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Not sure which lines you've been on, but I prefer ncl straight lines to royals circles. There were way more bottlenecks on oasis yet on ncl larger ships if you didn't want anything from one station you just walked down to the next. I've found it harder to move from one to the next on oasis class because the circles make lines impossible so everyone is fighting to be next. The design on smaller royals I've been on aren't as bad.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

" People with wheelchairs, canes(my own father is included in this group), and women with small children wereforced to wait until the crowd subsided in order to leave."

I fall into this group and don't understand why you think these (we) folks should be given priority in leaving the drill. How much time would you allot the above mentioned group to clear the area?

Why should those who can move faster be expected to wait behind the very slow? I can't agree with your thinking. As one who uses a walker, cane it is far better to wait a little longer than try to be in front of thousands of able bodied people who would swiftly overtake me. It's not as if we are all rushing to the evacuation crafts.

Good review. It was unfortunate you became ill during the cruise. Hopefully, things in the areas you experienced dissatisfaction with will be addressed in short order. This is a good example of “bigger is not always better.”

What?

Where was the review part?