the newest ships are NOT sailing from FL

I have been spoiled for the decade I've lived in Florida: RCCL's newest/best ships always sailed from FL, always had wonderful sunkissed itineraries. I've had wonderful fun without having to switch cruiselines.

But in the last couple years, the newest ships are serving other parts of the world instead.

Quantam sails from Shanghai China since 2015.

Anthem sails from New Jersey, USA since 2015.

Ovations sails from China & from Sydney, AU since 2016.

Passion will sail from Asia in 2019.

Pulse will sail in 2020, TBD.

Royal Caribbean is not putting its best wares on sale in Florida, for sure!!!

I can assume from these stats that more money is generated from Asian cruisers than from U.S. cruisers. Therefore all the best products will service Asia first, and eventually when the ships suck all the money out of Asia, they'll dock out of FL. There's no crime in that... capitalism dictates that companies will cater to the best markets. But it appears that Floridians are going to have to wait a long time to get a ride on the newest ships again. FL used to rule the cruise market. Now FL does not.

I have been spoiled for the decade I've lived in Florida: RCCL's newest/best ships always sailed from FL, always had wonderful sunkissed itineraries. I've had wonderful fun without having to switch cruiselines.

But in the last couple years, the newest ships are serving other parts of the world instead.

I can assume from these stats that more money is generated from Asian cruisers than from U.S. cruisers. Therefore all the best products will service Asia first, and eventually when the ships suck all the money out of Asia, they'll dock out of FL. There's no crime in that... capitalism dictates that companies will cater to the best markets. But it appears that Floridians are going to have to wait a long time to get a ride on the newest ships again. FL used to rule the cruise market. Now FL does not.

Quantum class ships are not warm weather ships. Oasis class are, therefore Florida gets Oasis class ships.

I'm pretty happy with our choices out of Florida aside from Majesty. Can you beat Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony, and seasonal Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class ships? Not in my mind.

You have all 4 oasis class ships sailing from FL, plus all the other ships and cruise lines. Where we live in Canada we have none, zero, nada, not a single one!

It's funny because I used to envy people from FL to have all those wonderful ships to choose from. I guess it's all about perspective. :ship:

I personally believe that Royal is giving us great options by spreading out their newbuilds to new and exciting locales. There's more to the cruise industry than Caribbean cruises out of Florida.

But even if you choose to limit yourself to cruising exclusively from Florida, you have all of the Oasis class ships, including the 2 newest ships in the Royal fleet, not to forget several Freedom class ships. And if Royal isn't placing enough new ships close enough to you, you can always look at Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, MSC, Holland America and Carnival, all who are homeporting their newest ships in Florida ports.

My closest "drive to" embarkation port is served by an aging 27 year old 70K ton Carnival ship. I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for your choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsm

So I guess Harmony and Symphony don't count...

As someone else said, Quantum class ships are better in cold climate areas, would I like to go on one, sure, but I can see why they'd be wasted sailing out of a southern port.

You have all 4 oasis class ships sailing from FL, plus all the other ships and cruise lines. Where we live in Canada we have none, zero, nada, not a single one!

It's funny because I used to envy people from FL to have all those wonderful ships to choose from. I guess it's all about perspective. :ship:

FALSE :) You have Several sailing from Vancouver (Radiance as a Royal Ship) and some from Quebec each year....

Symphony 2018

Harmony 2016

Allure 2010

Oasis 2009

Independence 2008

You also have every class of ship sailing out of Florida to chose from except Quantum class - which are designed as cool weather ships!

How can I feel sorry for you...move to the west coast...if you really want to feel neglect from RCI.

I have to disagree with you about Asia....you must not have noticed the lack of Asia/Singapore (not interested at all in Japan) sailings just released last week by RCI. I was patiently waiting for these itineraries to open and was very disappointed when they finally did.. :(

No matter what people are telling me I've never understood why they literally abounded port of miami. Yeah we had majesty year around and sometimes Navigator a few weeks but miami had the best ship and their headquarter is facing the port.

I didn't take long for carnival, Disney and even MDC to take advance of it, they all wanted miami while Royal didn't. Royal presence was minimal while other ships were all over miami and optic sometimes is everything. We are finally welcoming symphony in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not everyone wants to go to the same ports over and over again. FL still gets more ships than any other port.

Honestly after just 10 cruises I am bored with the eastern or western options. I want to go someone place else and I don't want to do it on a older ship.

The Asian market is booming so it needs more ships to capture that market.

Yes, I would agree that Floridians have been spoiled.

The reason why RCCL left Miami was because of the exorbitant increased port charges they were proposing & the way immigration treated guests & crew.

No matter what people are telling me I've never understood why they literally abounded port of miami. Yeah we had majesty year around and sometimes Navigator a few weeks but miami had the best ship and their headquarter is facing the port.

I didn't take long for carnival, Disney and even MDC to take advance of it, they all wanted miami while Royal didn't. Royal presence was minimal while other ships were all over miami and optic sometimes is everything. We are finally welcoming symphony in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal is building a brand new terminal in Miami to handle the Oasis Class ships. They will have the Symphony, Allure, and Mariner, at least. I'd say their investment in Miami is impressive.

Now if they would only build a brand new airport to make things as convenient as FLL is to Port Everglades and get Southwest and Jet Blue to fly into it...

Well, Baltimore has only 1 small ship, Grandeur. As I understand it, this is due to the depth of the water leaving the port but there is also an awesome experience of going under a bridge that is so low you can see the people in their vehicles! We love Grandeur but I prefer Freedom size ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How can I feel sorry for you...move to the west coast...if you really want to feel neglect from RCI.

I have to disagree with you about Asia....you must not have noticed the lack of Asia/Singapore (not interested at all in Japan) sailings just released last week by RCI. I was patiently waiting for these itineraries to open and was very disappointed when they finally did.. :(

I was most definitely saddened to see the itineraries being more or less the same, but on an older ship. :( Hope Passion is one worth waiting for!

I'll swap you Ovation for any one of the Oasis class..... and to sweeten the deal you can have Radiance too. Don't get me wrong... Ovation is fantastic and we finally have a decent ship but boy do I love Oasis class !

Aussie Cruiser

Yep, lots of snarky comments to my O.P. So yes, it's clear I've become spoiled by cruising.

A couple rebuttals:

Symphony: Hasn't launched. Maybe a year or 2 from now? For now, it's not available.

Harmony: Thankyou, I'll look into it. Sailing right now. Prices are quite high, yet ports I've already been to & are somewhat unpleasant. Maybe it's worth bad itinerary for a good ship? I'll give this ship good consideration. I'm disappointed that every single Harmony cruise includes either Jamaica or Haiti, where you are harassed when you try to shop... guess it goes with the territory.

Freedom class ships: Looks like there are some good choices if I go to ports I've been to already.

Thank you everybody for the responses. I do appreciate your comments. There are some good options if I go a lower class ship, or switch cruise lines. I simply wanted the biggest/newest RCCL to sail from FL, lol.

P.S: Why do so many people say that Quantum class is for cold-weather places?