Cruising Pregnant

Orlandorandall

For more detail, last pregancy I had congestive heart failure after giving birth. I believe it resulted from having preeclampsia that went undiagnosed. I had a great pregnancy up until the last three month where I began to swell and have high blood pressure that the doctor did nothing for. Then went through 30 hrs of labor and had a 10lb 9oz baby. They said that there was no reason why my heart failed but I know that was why.

So I originally thought that the only stipulation was not being over 24 weeks and having a doctors note. But I just read you can not be a high risk pregnancy?! Has anyone cruised pregnant being high risk? Or is this a no brainer, no cruising?

Good question....for your doctor

FYI, in the event of any medical complaint while on the ship you will most likely visit the ship doctor. To protect the both of you, you would give the medical staff your full history. The last place that has facilities for neonatal care is a cruise ship. You and your party would be put ashore at the earliest possible port.

FYI, in the event of any medical complaint while on the ship you will most likely visit the ship doctor. To protect the both of you, you would give the medical staff your full history. The last place that has facilities for neonatal care is a cruise ship. You and your party would be put ashore at the earliest possible port.

Depending on how far along the OP will be during her cruise, there might be nothing medically any facility could do, which is why there is the 24 week rule. It seems like she suffered from preeclampsia at the end of her last pregnancy, which can happen again, but after 20 weeks.

It is a "no brainer." No cruising, no traveling to any place where Zika is even a remote possibility, etc. And based on your story we suggest you find a new OB....preferably one who specializes in high risk pregnancy (perinatologist).

Hank

Depending on how far along the OP will be during her cruise, there might be nothing medically any facility could do, which is why there is the 24 week rule. It seems like she suffered from preeclampsia at the end of her last pregnancy, which can happen again, but after 20 weeks.

The Medical Team will not take a risk even if the complaint is minor.

So I originally thought that the only stipulation was not being over 24 weeks and having a doctors note. But I just read you can not be a high risk pregnancy?! Has anyone cruised pregnant being high risk? Or is this a no brainer, no cruising?

The note from the doctor is just to verify gestation (date of last period) not a medical clearance that it is okay in their medical opinion to cruise. Some docs seem to think they have the last word, they don't.

If you plan to cruise with a high risk pregnancy, you need to make sure that you purchase trip insurance and that it covers preexisting conditions, including high-risk pregnancy. I don't think I'd risk a cruise, even with excellent trip insurance.

This thread concerned the pax having a health issue that she would only bring to the doctor's attention AFTER sailing. The bottom line is the last place to be with a medical situation is a cruise ship. They know this and don't want you on the ship when it happens.

This thread concerned the pax having a health issue that she would only bring to the doctor's attention AFTER sailing. The bottom line is the last place to be with a medical situation is a cruise ship. They know this and don't want you on the ship when it happens.

well, if general health being in tip top shape were a prerequisite for cruising, older people in general and some younger people with chronic issues wouldn't be cruising at all.

I would say that it depended on why you were considered high risk - as others have said, it can be due to age or gestational diabetes for example, but in your situation, I really don’t think I’d want to risk it past maybe 12-14 weeks, just based on your history. Have you asked your doctor? That would be who I would listen to.