Dress code in Rome

Depends on where you are going. Religious locations, shoulders and knees must be covered. If you are going to the Trevi fountain, Colosseum or walking around you can where shorts.

My husband has some of those zip offs.

Obviously Rome is perhaps stricter; don't know if you would be turned away for wearing shorts, but have found the same rules apply in many of Europe 's great cathedrals and religious sites. It's just a sign of respect and adhered to. In Portugal on an RC tour people were not allowed in the church because of wearing shorts.

Be respectful and dress appropriately.

Obviously Rome is perhaps stricter; don't know if you would be turned away for wearing shorts, but have found the same rules apply in many of Europe 's great cathedrals and religious sites. It's just a sign of respect and adhered to. In Portugal on an RC tour people were not allowed in the church because of wearing shorts.

Be respectful and dress appropriately.

You would be turned away. It's really not that bad. I have some light weight pants, and I leave my sleeveless t-shirt on the ship. Follow those rules, and don't assume it's not for you. They will turn you away, they will make you wear headgear (females).

This has been on my mind too- my husband has some 3/4 length shorts, they just cover the knees.

Should we just play it safe and get him some lightweight trousers for this day?

Yes, if you plan to visit the Vatican or other religious venues, best to carry the trousers with you, just in case.

From the Vatican website. This is non-negotiable. Obey the dress code or don't enter. Clear and simple.

"Entry to the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Gardens is permitted only to appropriately dressed visitors.

Low cut or sleeveless clothing, shorts, miniskirts and hats are not allowed."

I wore a sleeveless dress on the day we were going to the Vatican and carried a very lightweight scarf. The dress was longish (mid calf) and the scarf covered my shoulders and I was good to go. On our recent cruise to Cuba, my daughter was asked to wrap a scarf around her legs when we went inside the cathedral there. I had on bermudas, and they said I was passable.

My SIL didn’t listen to

my DD and was turned away at St Peter’s. DD and DGDs left him standing there and went in in. They were surprised when he popped up next to them. He wandered around outside and ran across a man selling paper pants, shirts, etc. the pants covered his legs so he was good to go. He gave them to a man in shorts outside the door when they left.

People in other countries have great respect for their holy places. The paper clothing seller found himself a nice little niche business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought zip off pants for this exact reason. First time I had ever owned a pair.

I zipped them legs back on when we went somewhere that required them. Zipped them off when we didn't. My wife also brings a pashmina and a super light sweater for the same reasons. She also gets cold easy, so that helps her there as well.

In Greece, Turkey, and Egypt she needed the head covering, so it's a multi-tool.

I bought zip off pants for this exact reason. First time I had ever owned a pair.

I zipped them legs back on when we went somewhere that required them. Zipped them off when we didn't. My wife also brings a pashmina and a super light sweater for the same reasons. She also gets cold easy, so that helps her there as well.

In Greece, Turkey, and Egypt she needed the head covering, so it's a multi-tool.

In Greece was the head covering only in churches?

I

In Greece was the head covering only in churches?

Ladies do not need head covering in churches in Rome or Greece. Men need to remove their caps.

Ladies do need to cover your head in mosques.

I know that following the rules seems to be a foreign concept for cruise ship passengers, but it would be a shame to pay all that money, and go all that way only to be turned away because you thought you were exempt from the dress code. It is strictly enforced at churches in many countries, and especially in Rome.

And, if you go to an all inclusive in Mexico don't be surprised if you are turned away from the a la carte restaurants, regardless of whether it is a 3 or a 5 star property. Do your homework first, dress accordingly and for goodness sake do not cause a scene. We have seen way too much of that.

They will turn you away, they will make you wear headgear (females).

They do not make females wear headgear. However they do insist your shoulders and knees are covered