Why do some cruisers get mad when "For Profit" companies try to make a profit?

Georgia_Peaches

On eight X cruises to date I have never been accosted by anyone about anything. Occasionally I am asked if I want a glass of bubbly when I board or if I need help finding my way to the lunch area or if I need a new or upgraded beverage package. All of the people I can recall spoke, or at least understood, English and I had no problem conveying my simple “yes” or “no” answer. Every time I have stood in front of the Guest Services or Excursions desk, someone has asked if they could help me. I don’t think of that as being accosted either.

X can increase profits by either raising revenue or reducing expenses. Much prefer the former since if I don't want whatever they're hawking I can just say "NO". It's the nickle and dime cost cutting that cheapens the cruise experience and irritates me to no end.

maybe I'm wrong but the shareholder will not settle for 3% return. If, on year 1, RCI does 13% profit, then on year 2 they will want another 13% on top of the first year. Eventually, something has to give and it is the customer, not the shareholders.

Nope. They sell the rooms to cover their costs. The profit all comes from what they sell you onboard.

Especially on board sales of alcohol. There was a show on, IIRC Discovery, that chronicled a voyage of the NCL Epic. Much of the show focused on the profitability of the cruise. The thing that made the cruise profitable was alcohol sales.

Years ago, when many of us started cruising, cruises were much more all-inclusive than they are now. Sure, some things were always extra (drinks, photographs, shopping, gambling) but overall no matter what cabin you booked you had the same experience. Through the years more and more 'pay to play' options popped up. As the years progressed, they started to inundate you with little advertisements in your room encouraging you to buy this or that (even though they claim they went to an online survey to 'save the waves' - hypocrisy at its finest). Lately, those little pamphlets aren't enough. Now they call and leave messages, send messages on your TV, and stand outside stores like vultures looking for the kill. Waiters from specialty restaurants often troll the bars begging you to book with them. Ugh!

The annoyance is not a strike out against capitalism. It's about changing the experience, the ambiance of the cruise. Celebrity is certainly not as bad as some lines in this respect but it keeps going downhill IMHO in this arena. No one begrudges a company making money - they would not exist otherwise. But we don't need to like their methods. To compare it to stores, it used to be like shopping at Nordstrom. Lately at times I feel like I am in the middle of a Kmart blue light special.

I think this sums it up perfectly. It's about the experience changing.

I know this may sound provocative and that's certainly not my intent but I do have what I feel is a very legitimate question. So often on these boards you will read complaints about Celebrity's (all lines really) attempt to up sell drink packages, peddle photograph packages, auction art, sell Botox, learn to make martinis, take a glass blowing class..etc. etc..all for an additional fee. But isn't that what for profit is all about? That's capitalism at its finest IMHO. When I go to McDonalds and order a burger they ask if I want fries with that...that's an up sell attempt. I bought a computer at Best Buy and they offered me an additional warranty...for a fee. I'd call that an attempt at an up sell. Recently, I called my cable provider to ask a question and while they had me on the line...guess what? They offered me a special rate on HBO and Showtime. That's an up sell. Why should it be any different on a cruise ship? I have found that if I am not interested in what is being offered, a simple, "no thank you" is all it takes. Help me understand why this is so infuriating to some who frequent the cruise industry.

I would agree with you. It's part of the game to offer, but I've never really been bombarded by anyone on a ship. I think it was much worse a dozen or so years ago when you would literally have a half dozen flyers on your door or on your bed waiting for you. Spa used to be the worst with people pushing $45+ moisturizers that they really to tried to upsell you with.

maybe I'm wrong but the shareholder will not settle for 3% return. If, on year 1, RCI does 13% profit, then on year 2 they will want another 13% on top of the first year. Eventually, something has to give and it is the customer, not the shareholders.

Competition limits how much Royal can charge for it's product and what services they must deliver. With a growing number of players increasing their presence in mass market cruising the consumer, not the shareholder is very much in control.

It seems this is part of the business these days...but, we always remember that we are on a cruise, that a day on a cruise ship is better than just about anything else, and deal with it. We are pretty good at saying "no thanks" and going on with our day. We find our favorite places and bartenders, etc., and get about just having fun!

For me, it's not about profit. It's about being annoyed on Vacation. It's annoying to be 'offered' 'upgrades' over and over. Guess what? I already chose the 'extra's' that I wanted. It's annoying to have to wade thru a sidewalk sale to go to and from the show.

I use an ad blocker in my browsers, on Facebook etc because I don't like to be annoyed when I'm online. I'm on the no call list because I don't like to be annoyed by telemarketers. I have a 'No Ads' sign in my mailbox so I don't get annoyed by unsolicited flyers. I unsubscribe from all emails I don't want and set up those where the unsubscribe doesn't work to my junk so I only have to deal with each of them once.

I wish there was some way to block the on board annoyances.

Nope. They sell the rooms to cover their costs. The profit all comes from what they sell you onboard.

That doesn't add up.

Cabin pricing has risen year on year.

On board costs have been relatively stable year on year.

Hence the cabin cost can not be a reflection of only the cost price of the cruise.

....When I go to McDonalds and order a burger they ask if I want fries with that...that's an up sell attempt. ....

Similarly ordering a coffee at many well known places and being asked if you want a muffin with that. Uhh, if I did I would have asked. Rarely is it 'silly me I forgot I wanted the muffin.' :) Either way, a simple no suffices but it can be a bit irritating and it is clearly pushing product. Yes it happens everywhere doesn't mean we have like it, I equally dislike the pushing of product with my java order but have come to expect it with a ready no response. Oh well.

Several people are still discounting the fact that lots of people still say "why, yes, I would like a muffin with that!" Again, if it never worked, they wouldn't keep doing it, but there is a sizable portion of the population that have no problem with being asked & taking them up on the offer. This is sales 101.

If you drive into a seedy part of town slowly, you may see some women with rather short skirts that will lean into your open window and offer to sell you something - say no, and there will be another a few feet further along that may try to sell you something else, then another...

If you visit a Ferrari garage a nicely dressed sales person might offer you a Latte while they lead you to a sumptuous leather chair to discuss the beautiful red vehicle in front of you - the sales person will of course be unhappy when yous say you wish you could afford the gorgeous beast in front of you, but he will wish you well as you leave

Both are sales people

Both are capitalists

"Would you like to upgrade your drinks package?"

"Would you like a dining package"

"How about an art auction?"

"Hello sir, would you like a raffle ticket to our diamond auction?"

etc. etc.

And that doesn't take into account the sales literature that seems to turn up on your cabin bed every day

It is where you place Celebrity's sales attempts within the spectrum of the two capitalists I referred to above that your irritation level will appear

For me, it's not about profit. It's about being annoyed on Vacation. It's annoying to be 'offered' 'upgrades' over and over. Guess what? I already chose the 'extra's' that I wanted. It's annoying to have to wade thru a sidewalk sale to go to and from the show.

I use an ad blocker in my browsers, on Facebook etc because I don't like to be annoyed when I'm online. I'm on the no call list because I don't like to be annoyed by telemarketers. I have a 'No Ads' sign in my mailbox so I don't get annoyed by unsolicited flyers. I unsubscribe from all emails I don't want and set up those where the unsubscribe doesn't work to my junk so I only have to deal with each of them once.

I wish there was some way to block the on board annoyances.

I am not one to reply randomly to a post but felt compelled to do so in this case. When you boarded the ship, did the person who offered you the drink package know that you had already taken care of it? You could have been a first time cruiser who did not know about this. You did not have a sign around your neck saying you had everything you needed and to not annoy you. When you are asked how you are doing, are you annoyed? You probably say you are fine and walk on. Why not do the same to the countless people who offer those add ons. Just say no thank you and walk on. I agree that it can be challenging to wade through the throngs of fellow vacationers to get to the show. When that happens again why not try an alternate route. Why do you continue to cruise when you are apparently dissatisfied? Just a question, not a judgement. There are endless things in the world that can be annoying but you can’t let them rule your life. On my upcoming cruise I plan to decline all of the requests for upgrades with a polite response and a smile on my face and continue to enjoy my vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I am guessing that the OP would be fine if they went to the MDR and found that there were extra charges for all the decent items on the menu. And they would also be fine having to swipe their cruise card to get some of better items in the Lido. And if there were an extra fee to use the tenders....no problem. And the OP would also probably be OK if there were 10 ship wise announcements per day....promoting sales, exercise programs with a fee, BINGO (at only $50 for 3 cards with a million dollar jackpot), etc.

I agree with the OP that cruise lines (and any corporation) should be able to make a profit (that is why I am an investor). But I object to constant nickel and diming, annoying announcements disturbing my peace and quiet, being constantly bugged by crew members to buy a bottle of wine, book alternative dining, book a ridiculously priced shore excursion, etc. And when I hear a Port Shopping Lecturer give bad recommendations (because they only recommend places that pay a promotional fee to the shore excursion company) it is annoying. In fact, the port shopping info can sometimes get ugly on Celebrity. This happened to us a few years ago when we were on a cruise to Rio de Janeiro. For many years Celebrity (and most lines) actively pushed (and recommended) that cruisers go to H. Stern in Rio. H. Stern (one of finest jewelry stores in South America) even provides free shuttle service from the port to their flagship store. But a few months before our visit, Mrs. Stern (she owns the company) decided to pull all of her advertising dollars from the cruise lines. So, the lines started pushing Amsterdam Sauer (a competitor) and actually bad mouthing Sterns. They even warned folks not to use the free H. Stern shuttles (which are a great deal because they get you to the best part of town...and you can then go off and do as you please).

So getting back to the OP's comment, profit is a very good thing....but not when it starts to become a negative issue on a cruise.

Hank

I am not one to reply randomly to a post but felt compelled to do so in this case. When you boarded the ship, did the person who offered you the drink package know that you had already taken care of it? You could have been a first time cruiser who did not know about this. You did not have a sign around your neck saying you had everything you needed and to not annoy you. When you are asked how you are doing, are you annoyed? You probably say you are fine and walk on. Why not do the same to the countless people who offer those add ons. Just say no thank you and walk on. I agree that it can be challenging to wade through the throngs of fellow vacationers to get to the show. When that happens again why not try an alternate route. Why do you continue to cruise when you are apparently dissatisfied? Just a question, not a judgement. There are endless things in the world that can be annoying but you can’t let them rule your life. On my upcoming cruise I plan to decline all of the requests for upgrades with a polite response and a smile on my face and continue to enjoy my vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most if not all of the offers are on the website, which most folks, newbies included, look at before they go.

The card tells them what level of drink package you have or if you have one at all, so no, they don't have to ask everyone who boards.

I do say no and walk on, then I say no to the next guy, then no to the next girl, then no at each bar for the first couple of days until the staff gets to know me. Horrendous or ruins my trip? Nope. Unnecessary and annoying? U bet.

It's not walking thru fellow vacationers that's the issue. It's getting thru the sidewalk sale that has spilled out of the stores into the walkways. If there was a way to get to the show that didn't go thru the nightly sidewalk sale, I'd certainly take it, but we both know it doesn't exist.

That may have been true in the days before “included” perks but it’s no longer so. If I book a cabin for which fares have increased enough for two perks to be included, how would X reasonably expect to make a great deal more off my booking? Sure, I may choose to upgrade that “included” drink package or go to a specialty restaurant on occasion, but I’m never going to purchase “art” or gold chain by the inch or “special” bottles of wine. And I’m certainly never going to purchase anything from someone who blocks my path to insistently try to sell me something. A simple no should suffice, and IMO the incessant flogging of beverage packages should stop by day two of the cruise.

Sure they have the right, but it is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. So I admittedly pay more to avoid it on all inclusive cruise lines. So nice not to be taking out my card and signing a chit every 20 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Agree..

They of course have the goal to make money for their investors but incessant hawking is annoying, low class and crude! Never was that way...but Celebrity has been Royalized

Several people are still discounting the fact that lots of people still say "why, yes, I would like a muffin with that!" Again, if it never worked, they wouldn't keep doing it, but there is a sizable portion of the population that have no problem with being asked & taking them up on the offer. This is sales 101.

Agree, they definitely have to make a sale now and then by asking so I totally get it. They are for profit businesses after all. Even I might say yes to something somewhere along the line of asks. ;)

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

If they want to up sell or offer products, I don't have a problem with it. Advertise them online, in their brochures and in the dailies. But don't have people hawking them like Carnival side show men at every turn. I don't want to have to refuse the up sell every time I order a drink. I hate having to run the gauntlet of these guys hawking beverage and dining packages as soon as I step on the ship at embarkation. I don't want to go to a show or demonstration on board, only to find out I have to pay for it. Entertainment is supposed to be included in the fare. Celebrity is in danger of turning into Carnival. I originally chose Celebrity because they had more class than that.

There are ways to sell these things more discretely, without becoming annoying.

Here! Here!

We agree 100%

Agree, they definitely have to make a sale now and then by asking so I totally get it. They are for profit businesses after all. Even I might say yes to something somewhere along the line of asks. ;)

So to make a profit they need to pester customers? And if they don't pester customers they won't make a profit? Hmmm.