The Tipping Point for Royal

When will it happen?

When will they start treating their Diamond customers so bad that they will look somewhere else?

Just got off the Freedom and there was some very good stuff here.

1) The vibe of the ship was grand. Staff was engaged and working hard.

2) The Windjammer I actually liked. The staff was moving things and clearing tables. The food was good enough and overall, it was better than most of my previous 25 cruises.

3) Labadee is now amazing. Great upgrades all around and although you have to pay, they have made it a very enjoyable and cannot miss stop.

The bad stuff-

1)Security was too slow. Acknowledged due to some bad planning by us we got there right at the wrong time (1:00) but what a mess. I will not travel without being in a suite ever again. Waiting for 30 minutes in that line was awful.

2)The continued and unabated decline of the quality of food in the MDR. There are now some good things most nights but one night was just pain awful for the whole menu (first time in my 25 cruises there was nothing I wanted to order from the whole menu!) and the now added lack of variety too. They have pared the menu down to most things repeating every night with some things now new. That is just awful. I used to love to cruise to try new things and different things, now most of the menu repeats every single day......boring. I used to love all the cold soups and crazy salads and cheeses etc. These are all gone....Boooo

3) The gall of the "chair hogs" has become unbelievable. They rise before anyone and take the best chairs only to leave them open all day. I sat by the pool on days 1 and 2 at sea and watched the same prime chairs stay open all day. Now they have added clips to the repertoire so the towels stay in place all day. No one from Royal is patrolling this or cares about this and why people do this is way beyond me. Awful, boorish behavior.

4) The elevator idiots. With one of the elevators being down the whole cruise (c'mon now RCCL) the elevators became even more packed than normal in the aft. That said, I saw countless apparently able bodies people take the elevators for just 1-2 floors. It got so bad that people would get in any elevator and pack them even more, just to have a chance to get where they were going. Riding up from 6 to 12 and then back down to 3 ( I only know this as many people were doing it and talking about it) Yes, we took the stairs most days but harder on the formal days when you have to traverse 7 floors or so in heels and dress shoes as a couple.

So has it tipped? Not yet. Yes, I will cruise again and unfortunately, I will just pay for suites going forward. After getting to Diamond and now D plus, there really is no benefit in it for me anymore other than the free booze. I love the sea, I love the ports but I hate waiting and being herded like cattle. The game has changed and now Diamond is not enough. Now you have to be Pinnacle (not obtainable before 75) or in a suite. I will buy the suite going forward. Royal wins again and makes even more money and the game continues......

Crash-

3) The gall of the "chair hogs" has become unbelievable. They rise before anyone and take the best chairs only to leave them open all day. I sat by the pool on days 1 and 2 at sea and watched the same prime chairs stay open all day. Now they have added clips to the repertoire so the towels stay in place all day. No one from Royal is patrolling this or cares about this and why people do this is way beyond me. Awful, boorish behavior.

4) The elevator idiots. With one of the elevators being down the whole cruise (c'mon now RCCL) the elevators became even more packed than normal in the aft. That said, I saw countless apparently able bodies people take the elevators for just 1-2 floors. It got so bad that people would get in any elevator and pack them even more, just to have a chance to get where they were going. Riding up from 6 to 12 and then back down to 3 ( I only know this as many people were doing it and talking about it) Yes, we took the stairs most days but harder on the formal days when you have to traverse 7 floors or so in heels and dress shoes as a couple.-

How does your loyalty level affect chair hogs and elevator idiots?

I may look able-bodied, but lasting affects from cancer treatments have affected my mobility, esp. stairs. It's hard to tell by looking at me, but it's there.

As I wrote this, I new that I would have offended some and I sincerely apologize for not adding that all who look "able bodied" may not be so. I totally get this and do not make light of anyone and their incapacity to make it up or down a floor or two. My apologies and I am sorry to hear about your cancer.

As I wrote this, I new that I would have offended some and I sincerely apologize for not adding that all who look "able bodied" may not be so. I totally get this and do not make light of anyone and their incapacity to make it up or down a floor or two. My apologies and I am sorry to hear about your cancer.

Thank you. I'm actually doing OK overall, I'm 2 years out from my diagnosis (as of yesterday) and no sign of it coming back. I admit it's pet peeve of mine.

Each person must decide for themselves where their tipping point is. There is no shortage of other cruise lines vying for our business. Food is equal or better, IMO, on most other lines but I doubt you will notice much difference in the elevator etiquette or pool chair hogs, and boarding delays can happen on any line. It appears that rising to Pinnacle is very important to you so only you can decide where your tipping point is. The food was our tipping point and we now only sail RCI when the price, sail dates, or itinerary is right for us, and after weighing the other factors important to us for a good vacation. The loyalty benefits, while nice, only factor into our pricing decision.

So has it tipped? Not yet. Yes, I will cruise again and unfortunately, I will just pay for suites going forward. After getting to Diamond and now D plus, there really is no benefit in it for me anymore other than the free booze. I love the sea, I love the ports but I hate waiting and being herded like cattle. The game has changed and now Diamond is not enough. Now you have to be Pinnacle (not obtainable before 75) or in a suite. I will buy the suite going forward. Royal wins again and makes even more money and the game continues......

Crash-

There are many Pinnacles that are under 75.

I will be 64 when I get there.

I do hope you have learned a lesson. I look perfectly healthy but have had spine surgery, hip replacement surgery, lung disease and heart disease. I must take elevator even if it is just 1 deck. DH has been battling cancer for 3 years and he too must take elevator. We also must have wheelchairs to get on/off ship. We refuse to stay home just because we have issues as we love to cruise even though we can no longer enjoy the ports. Please be careful what you say about how people look to you.

One thing I agree with is that the quality of the MDR food has seriously plummeted! I cant tell you how many times I have not wanted anything on the menu and ordered 4-5 shrimp cocktails for my entree (along with a side of horseradish to add to the bland cocktail sauce)!

Stopped at 30 minute wait... that's nothing

...and middle of Spring Break, everything will be busy and slow. Been there done that. OP since you have already apologized this isn't directed to you. Too many on here judge the passengers who are in wheelchairs, scooters, and using the elevator to go 1-2 floors. Mom looks ok, but a resent 2 time cancer survivor, COPD and needs a hip replacement. Me a classified 70% disabled Vet, even though look 100% in shape, I am not. We have good days and bad...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I have 2 grandchildren with Cystic Fibrosis. To outward appearances they look normal. It is an incurable, terminal genetic disease which affects lungs and digestion. I am planning on taking them on a RCI cruise in 2020 for 5oth anniversary. It is not contagious, even when they have a coughing spell.

When will it happen?

When will they start treating their Diamond customers so bad that they will look somewhere else?

I’m not seeing where any of the “bad stuff” had anything to do with your C&A level, not sure why you even mention it. You are going to run into chair hogs and poor elevator etiquette no matter who you cruise with. As for the MDR, I’ve not experienced the new menu yet, I’ll find out next month. I hope it’s not as bad as you portray.

I do hope you have learned a lesson. I look perfectly healthy but have had spine surgery, hip replacement surgery, lung disease and heart disease. I must take elevator even if it is just 1 deck. DH has been battling cancer for 3 years and he too must take elevator. We also must have wheelchairs to get on/off ship. We refuse to stay home just because we have issues as we love to cruise even though we can no longer enjoy the ports. Please be careful what you say about how people look to you.

I think he apogized already and it isn’t like he did something horrible. What he initially stated is completely accurate and he shouldn’t have to include medical qualifiers to not feel sorry about what he said.

Lots of able bodied people use the elevator when they could simply walk a flight or two. And I’m not talking about at dinner time because they are wearing heels. It makes the elevators even busier than otherwise. This should upset people like you that need them. For every one of you there are 99 people who could easily walk it so his point is valid and he shouldn’t feel sorry about. I feel bad you suffer from your condition but what he was saying should be appreciated by you.

I think he apogized already and it isn’t like he did something horrible. What he initially stated is completely accurate and he shouldn’t have to include medical qualifiers to not feel sorry about what he said.

Lots of able bodied people use the elevator when they could simply walk a flight or two. And I’m not talking about at dinner time because they are wearing heels. It makes the elevators even busier than otherwise. This should upset people like you that need them. For every one of you there are 99 people who could easily walk it so his point is valid and he shouldn’t feel sorry about. I feel bad you suffer from your condition but what he was saying should be appreciated by you.

This topic rears its ugly head every once in a while. If it bothers you seeing people use the elevator for which it is designed ( that is ---going from floor to floor), then take the stairs. People who take the elevator and only go up a deck or two are not doing anything wrong. They should not have defend themselves or apologize.

We were on the cruise just prior - arrived at the port around 10:15 - no wait whatsoever - straight through security, and up to a check in desk, sat a few moments downstairs, then moved upstairs and sat a few more before boarding. All in we were about 30 minutes from dropping luggage to stepping onto the ship with no lines at any point. OP just hit that bad spot of arriving in the thick of it, as he admitted. But 30 minutes I didn't think was bad, but then I wasn't standing in line at all.

Also, that port aft elevator wasn't working either. It did slow things down, but once I remembered, I just used the starboard side. We took the stairs as much as possible.

After over 50 cruises, with most of them being on RCCL...I"m also leaning towards tipping over. We tried the MSC Yacht Club and were really WOWed by the service food, drinks, and service in general. We are going on a Transatlantic next month, which is the last RCCL we have booked. We have 2 Celebrity, and 1 MSC booked moving forward. I have to agree with the original poster that the food in the MDR has gone WAY downhill. We did to the Coastal Kitchen a few months ago on the Anthem, and I do have to say the food and service in there were oceans above the MDR

I, too, have been thinking of my tipping point. I am on the verge due to the rock hard mattresses and Royal's seeming unwillingness to do anything about it. We cancelled a January cruise because the bed was so uncomfortable on the Enchantment NYE cruise.

Royal does offer some good deals and has some incredible ships. I will finally be Diamond Plus after my seven night on the Allure in a Crown Loft Suite this September. If that mattress is so hard it is unbearable, then I will know I have reached the tipping point and move on to other lines. In the meantime, I will look forward to an awesome time on the Allure.

Crash-

If you need any assistance reaching that tipping point I will gladly overuse the elevators on your next cruise.

Very nice to apologize. I do think some of your observations could actually apply to a lot of cruise lines. If you look at HAL, Princess, NCL boards etc etc and read all of them, RCI is kinda of in the same boat (no pun intended).

I am afraid your anger towards RCI is kind of like a lot of folks anger towards Wash DC and politics.

And on any given day (or cruise) it can change. Things like elevators happen everywhere. Basic decline in manners every where including ships. and yes even at Disney World too.

I met someone on a cruise a year ago who nothing nice to say about Cunard and then an hour later I sat next to folks who just loved Carnival line. They were wealthy folks who like to have fun and also hated Cunard. So go figure right.

Overall, cruises are like people and weather, lots of variety ----so keep trying and something will click.:cool: