Princess (New) Ships Aren't "Game Changers", Why?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:48 AM.
Sydney, Australia
8,504 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
One thing I'm pleased about is that Princess is showing restraint with it's new ships. Other lines are building ships that have four, five, even six thousand lower berths. Princess, so far, is staying around 3500. We recently did a Mediterranean cruise on Royal and some ports were so swamped with cruise ship passengers that it was unpleasant.

When we booked I was worried that Royal would be too big but somehow Princess manages to make even the biggest ships in the fleet feel cosy and comfortable. Still, I would like to see Princess build a couple of smaller ships around the size of the Sun class, as these are more suited to some if the itineraries in our part of the world, especially the South Pacific itineraries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Alberta, Canada
97 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Skai
Princess is desperately trying to replenish its aging loyal customer base w/ the next generation of cruisers, but they have fuddy duddys at the helm that are failing to figure out what is 'cool' & 'hip'.
Given that every Princess cruise has 50's and 60's music nights, I don't think they're even trying to attract Gen-X cruisers never-mind the Millennials.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Sky Princess 1995; Dawn Princess 1999; Westerdam 2000; Ryndam 2000; Norwegian Sky 2001; Star Princess 2002;
Island Princess 2004; Norwegian Star 2005; Island Princess 2007; Norwegian Star 2008; Norwegian Dawn 2008;
Costa Atlantica 2009; Crown Princess 2010; Ruby Princess 2011; Caribbean Princess 2012; Ocean Princess 2014;
Celebrity Solstice 2014; Celebrity Summit 2015; Crown Princess 2016; Explorer of the Seas 2016; MSC Divina 2017;

Ruby Princess 2018
florida
371 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Younger cruisers on Carnival and NCL. But still favor 60’s music.
I come from a land down under
25,672 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by chengkp75
and there are only two accessible balcony cabins, and these are "deluxe suites", so for accessibility you go from inside, to ocean view, to deluxe suite.

With an aging demographic I’m surprised they aren’t doing more to make pretty much all cabins more wheelchair friendly, either wider doors or a corale (probably near the elevators) to park and charge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Texas
5,763 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by floridalover5623
I would settle for a seat in the show lounge that doesn't require a shoehorn to get into.
The theater seating on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas was worse. As was the totally wasted space of their multideck high open space inside promenade shopping mall.

While I like that Princess is evolutionary not revolutionary, I still miss the Sun Princess class of ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Have FCC, will travel.
30 Cruises:..Caribbean (19x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Royal Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
Central Texas
5,763 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by GUT2407
With an aging demographic I’m surprised they aren’t doing more to make pretty much all cabins more wheelchair friendly, either wider doors or a corale (probably near the elevators) to park and charge.
I would think the new badge system could be married to automatic door openers for handicapped cabins. Now that would be a game changer for a lot of people.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next - Have FCC, will travel.
30 Cruises:..Caribbean (19x), Panama (3x), Mediterranean (2x), So. America, Transatlantic (2x), Europe, Alaska, Tahiti-Hawaii
Ships:...Grand Princess (6x), Caribbean Princess (6x), Emerald Princess (5x), Sun Princess (3x), Crown Princess (2x), Royal Princess (2x), Island Princess, Liberty of the Seas, Pacific Princess II, Ryndam (HAL), Sea Princess, Star Princess
864 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by dns65
Given that every Princess cruise has 50's and 60's music nights, I don't think they're even trying to attract Gen-X cruisers never-mind the Millennials.
They've made some forays into the 70s in recent times with their era-themed rock-medleys, heh.

The 'Gastro pub' and 'Share' are definite attempts to appeal to the Hipster-class and move beyond the same ol' Steakhouse/Italian-fare offerings.

One could also state that the 'Ocean Medallion' is a move towards enticing the tech-savvy that are pining for ultimate connectivity.

There's no question that the Princess' primary target demographic are so-called 'empty-nester' couples, or families w/ adult children. The primary average age group on board is at/or very near either side of retirement age.

For Princess to thrive, they need to entice first time cruisers. A bunch of Elites( and/or even Platinums) usually don't bring the onboard spending revenue that new cruisers bring. While they may fill out the cabins, w/ Princess doling out complimentary OBC to savvy/experienced cruisers (that know how to get the most bang for their buck) -- they simply don't spend like new cruisers do.

A loyal and returning customer base may keep the lights on, but as these ships grow to 3k to 3.5k pax, Princess is absolutely aware of the need for a strategy to bring the next generation in. They're simply failing at it atm.

I did hear less 'Andrew Sisters' and 'Benny Goodman' on our last Princess cruise. In fact, the canned music actually had renditions of 'The Doors' and 'Hendrix' in the playlist. "Like...Pretty hip, Daddio." - In my best Maynard G. Krebs voice..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2017 Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean -- 2016 HAL Oosterdam - Adriatic Dream -- 2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera -- 2015 Carnival Sunshine - Eastern Caribbean Journeys -- 2015 Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean -- 2015 Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean -- 2014 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera -- 2013 Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean Medley -- 2013 Star Princess - Alaska/Glacier Bay -- 2010 Royal Princess - Tahiti and French Polynesia -- 2009 Caribbean Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,572 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Times Prince
The theater seating on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas was worse. As was the totally wasted space of their multideck high open space inside promenade shopping mall.

While I like that Princess is evolutionary not revolutionary, I still miss the Sun Princess class of ships.
How so? They couldn't have made the seats any narrower, could they?
With Princess eliminating the side trays and reducing the width of the seats they're just about as bad as it could get. At least they've added a side isle on the Royal & Regal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
750 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by louden
How about ridiculous balconies, useless pools, useless water show, Princess live!. Princess new ships aren't even IN the game.
Royal class ships are our favorites and we have been on Royal, Regal, Majestic and are booked on the new Sky Princess.....they keep us coming back to Princess......sounds like Royal Caribbean maybe your thing.....the one thing that never changes on a Princess ship is the number of Negaholics who seem to complain about EVERYTHING!!
14,578 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by PrincessLuver
Royal class ships are our favorites and we have been on Royal, Regal, Majestic and are booked on the new Sky Princess.....they keep us coming back to Princess......sounds like Royal Caribbean maybe your thing.....the one thing that never changes on a Princess ship is the number of Negaholics who seem to complain about EVERYTHING!!
LOL....I feel it is actually the repeat cruisers who sail the same itinerary, and believe me they are on RCI too...just not on the big ships...which might I add is very very nice because new cruisers are still in Awe and so excited about everything.....they are still following the rules, they don't demand things. When you have 1/2 of 6,000 people( Oasis class) that are first time cruisers it is a pure delight.....even if half of them are under 18.

Worst experience with complaining guests was on Majestic 3 weeks Singapore to Shanghai...and the cruise before us 2 blokes and their partners got tossed off the ship due to fisticuffs in the laundry room....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Alaska Ruby..... May. Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

Los Angeles Ca.
5,654 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by need2cruisesoon
I've gotta give MSC (Seaside), X (Edge) and NCL (Bliss) credit for introducing new ships with Game Changing design and unique layouts.

I'm wondering why Princess and also HAL remain stale with new ship design innovations?
The newer ships have become amusement parks for families. not what I want anyway.
Vancouver, BC
18,918 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
The newer ships have become amusement parks for families. not what I want anyway.
Please explain how Celebrity Edge is an amusement park for Families? or the Viking ships?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2018...Crete & London land trip
October 2019...Celebrity Reflection Iberian Peninsular
April 2020 ..Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Honolulu

Kauai Land Trip 2018/Queensland, Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu - Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
3,153 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I must be in the minority, I really LIKE the promenade deck on the Royal/Regal, the only bummer is that is doesn't have a cover. But normally there is a shady and a sunny side, at night its a really nice quiet comfortable place VS the other ships that the promenade deck has now become the jogging track. And I really don't like the Piazza. To crowded and noisy, I tried having a coffee and conversation with a friend, forget it, we were shouting and nodding. I don't like the outdoor smoking area aft. smells like an ashtray, and then adding the aft "pool" in the same area....YUCK. Narrow balconies I can live with, Horizon Court, I like the layout vs the other ships, which seemed cramped and crowded, but the desert section seems a little out of place...I think it would be better suited farther back. I don't need ice skating rinks, bowling alleys, zip line or rock climbing walls. Give me my balcony and a glass of wine....I'm good
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

2018 Caribbean Princess - 10 night September 8 - Princess Cays, St Thomas, St. Kitts, St Marteen, St Lucia Antigua
2018 Royal Princess - 10 night - February 28 - March 10 Princess Cay,St Thomas, St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados
2017 Regal Princess 10 night October 26 - November 5 - New York to Ft Lauderdale
2017 Crown Princess 5 night March 20 - 25 RT Ft Lauderdale--Amber Cove, Grand Turk
2016 Caribbean Princess 8 night -- November 5--Ft Lauderdale RT ABC Islands
2015 Regal Princess 5 night --November 3 - 8 Ft Lauderdale RT Back to Back
2015 Regal Princess 10 night -- October 24 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2014 Royal Princess 10 night -- October 25 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2013 Caribbean Princess October 26 -- 10 night New York to Houston
2013 Caribbean Princess April 13 -- 7 night Ft Lauderdale RT
2012 Caribbean Princess October 31-- 10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (Hurricane Sandy) Actually 11/2 -- 11/10 Delay due to hurricane
2011 Caribbean Princess October 29 --10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (NorEaster)
2010 Norwegian Star - 10 night October 25 - Nov 4- Miami - Miami
2009 Celebrity Constellation October 30 -- Bayonne - Miami
2007 RCCL Empress of the Seas October 27 -- Philadelphia - San Juan
2006 Norwegian Spirit 11 night October 29 -- Nov 9 New York to New York (Freezing Cold)
2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas - Sept 18 -Bayonne to Bayonne
2003 Celebrity Century July -- Ft Lauderdale - Ft Lauderdale
1995 - 1999 Regal Cruises Regal Empress --Feb 24, 95, May 10, 96, May 27, 97, Aug 3, 97, March 27, 98,Aug 23, 98, Aug 1, 99 (7X)
1994 - 1995 Dolphin Line Seabreeze-- Two times - April 3, 1994
1992 - 1993 Chandris Line Britannis-- Two times April 16, 1993
1991 Crown Cruise Line Crown Monarch --Cruise that started it all.......July 27- Aug 3
Detroit suburbs
1,859 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by floridalover5623
I agree that was annoying but not having outside cabins was more so.
I'm either forced to go to an expensive balcony or the dreaded inside closet like cabins.
On longer cruises it makes a big difference in the total cost.
Totally agree with you! Plaza deck OV cabins are our favorite, both for price and for convenience to the atrium/coffee etc. I don't know why they had to put the spa there on the Royal/Regal. On a cruise, I usually go to the spa daily for the thermal suite and for an occasional massage. We've been on the Royal twice and I used the spa only once--not only is the TS more expensive than on the older ships, but I found the spa very sterile/"cold" and uninviting. So not only lost our beloved Plaza cabin area, but also got an uninviting spa in its place. Too bad the only choices out of FL are the Royal, Regal and Caribbean (which we'll be on in late Feb.). Wish they would bring back one of the other grand class ships to FL and send the CB elsewhere!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barb
50+ ocean cruises completed on Princess, Celebrity, HAL
Recent cruises:
Jan. 2017 - Caribbean Princess 14-nt FLL to Caribbean (western and southern)
Apr. 2017 - HAL Zuiderdam 16-nt EB TA, FLL-Copenhagen
Future cruises:

Feb. 2018 - Caribbean Princess 10-nt FLL RT to Panama Canal
3,153 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Oh, and another dislike on the Regal/Royal is the placement of the spa right next to the forward elevators. We normally get a forward cabin and when going to the IC or PSD, passing those ladies standing right at the entrance to the elevator banks, and getting the "evil eye"
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

2018 Caribbean Princess - 10 night September 8 - Princess Cays, St Thomas, St. Kitts, St Marteen, St Lucia Antigua
2018 Royal Princess - 10 night - February 28 - March 10 Princess Cay,St Thomas, St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados
2017 Regal Princess 10 night October 26 - November 5 - New York to Ft Lauderdale
2017 Crown Princess 5 night March 20 - 25 RT Ft Lauderdale--Amber Cove, Grand Turk
2016 Caribbean Princess 8 night -- November 5--Ft Lauderdale RT ABC Islands
2015 Regal Princess 5 night --November 3 - 8 Ft Lauderdale RT Back to Back
2015 Regal Princess 10 night -- October 24 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2014 Royal Princess 10 night -- October 25 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2013 Caribbean Princess October 26 -- 10 night New York to Houston
2013 Caribbean Princess April 13 -- 7 night Ft Lauderdale RT
2012 Caribbean Princess October 31-- 10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (Hurricane Sandy) Actually 11/2 -- 11/10 Delay due to hurricane
2011 Caribbean Princess October 29 --10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (NorEaster)
2010 Norwegian Star - 10 night October 25 - Nov 4- Miami - Miami
2009 Celebrity Constellation October 30 -- Bayonne - Miami
2007 RCCL Empress of the Seas October 27 -- Philadelphia - San Juan
2006 Norwegian Spirit 11 night October 29 -- Nov 9 New York to New York (Freezing Cold)
2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas - Sept 18 -Bayonne to Bayonne
2003 Celebrity Century July -- Ft Lauderdale - Ft Lauderdale
1995 - 1999 Regal Cruises Regal Empress --Feb 24, 95, May 10, 96, May 27, 97, Aug 3, 97, March 27, 98,Aug 23, 98, Aug 1, 99 (7X)
1994 - 1995 Dolphin Line Seabreeze-- Two times - April 3, 1994
1992 - 1993 Chandris Line Britannis-- Two times April 16, 1993
1991 Crown Cruise Line Crown Monarch --Cruise that started it all.......July 27- Aug 3
Two Rivers, Wisc.
1,868 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I book a lower deck because I eat breakfast, lunch at IC so I'm always going by the spa! I don't give them a chance to give me a look, I always wave and say, hi gals or guys, here I am again, walking on by!

Someone mentioned fisticuffs, happened right in front of me in the Diamond Lounge on RCI. Two ladies arguing, one a diamond, other "well I'm diamond plus" then the husbands got involved, I left! A day & 1/2 from Fla. and I heard they were confined to their cabins. Ridiculous, all started over some cookies or coffee, taking too many, whatever, it was dumb.
Long Island, NY
3,725 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by BarbinMich
Totally agree with you! Plaza deck OV cabins are our favorite, both for price and for convenience to the atrium/coffee etc. I don't know why they had to put the spa there on the Royal/Regal. On a cruise, I usually go to the spa daily for the thermal suite and for an occasional massage. We've been on the Royal twice and I used the spa only once--not only is the TS more expensive than on the older ships, but I found the spa very sterile/"cold" and uninviting. So not only lost our beloved Plaza cabin area, but also got an uninviting spa in its place. Too bad the only choices out of FL are the Royal, Regal and Caribbean (which we'll be on in late Feb.). Wish they would bring back one of the other grand class ships to FL and send the CB elsewhere!
Crown Princess returns to do the 10 night sailings that Royal does now, so there's that. CB is staying in Florida though.
Detroit suburbs
1,859 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by richsea
Crown Princess returns to do the 10 night sailings that Royal does now, so there's that. CB is staying in Florida though.
Thanks for mentioning that the Crown was coming back--we sailed on her 4x when she was in FL before, including 2 TAs. I was said to see her leave.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barb
50+ ocean cruises completed on Princess, Celebrity, HAL
Recent cruises:
Jan. 2017 - Caribbean Princess 14-nt FLL to Caribbean (western and southern)
Apr. 2017 - HAL Zuiderdam 16-nt EB TA, FLL-Copenhagen
Future cruises:

Feb. 2018 - Caribbean Princess 10-nt FLL RT to Panama Canal
Sydney
112 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
This is simply untrue that Princess doesn't attract a younger demographic. I'm Gen Y/Millennial and I cruise Princess because they aren't going for gimmicks. If I wanted to go to a theme park I would go to a theme park. If I wanted to be on a ship with tacky hydro slides I would go to the local pool (though none really have hydro slides).

I like that Princess retains its class and hasn't given into stupid gimmicks such as RCCL and Carnival.

When I'm cruising all I care about is the size of the ship, the age of the ship, the cost of the booking, the itinerary, Movies under the Stars, the internet, the Lido deck and potentially other activities such as karaoke and the gym.

I also would disagree that interior cabins are stuffy. I've been in them twice and I just use the Lido Deck or the Sports deck when I want to walk around.

I also would disagree that younger newer cruisers spend a lot. I do spend a fair amount on internet but why would I use a cruise ship shop when I can buy things on land? The only things I buy on the ship are internet, a few drinks, a coffee card, maybe a specialty restaurant and maybe a few souvenirs. The rest I would buy at home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Majestic Princess - Sydney to NZ roundtrip 14 days, September 2018

Emerald Princess - Sydney-Vanuatu & New Caledonia roundtrip 11 days, January 2017 - COMPLETE

Diamond Princess - Sydney-NZ roundtrip 14 days, December 2015 - COMPLETE
Lake Powell, Arizona
924 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by steelers36
What I would like to see as "game changing" is that Princess get into the 21st century with modern internet. Yeah, I know they are "working on it". I just hope by the time it gets rolled out, they aren't behind in technology again. OM is very ambitious and if they can deliver on the original promise then it is pretty "game changing" for Princess.

The other thing I would like them to go against the grain on is maintain the quality and ask us to pay reasonable cost increases. I don't want to pay the same price now as five years ago or five years from now and give up quality of food, drink and entertainment in the process.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barb

Regal Princess - Eastern/Western Caribbean Feb. 2017
Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera B2B/Oct. 2015
Grand Princess - Sea of Cortez/Oct 2014
Sapphire Princess - 25 Day-Grand Asia/Pacific Crossing/Apr.2014
Coral Princess - LA to FLL/Panama Canal/Apr.2013
Golden Princess - LA to Hawaii/Oct 2012
Grand Princess - Grand Caribbean/Mar.2012
Sapphire Princess - LA to Hawaii/Oct. 2011
Sapphire Princess- Acapulco, finally made it /Jan.2011