Toddlers using swimming pools onboard

We are going on Horizon in 4 weeks time with 2 children aged 2 & 4. The younger one is not potty trained and wears swim nappies. I have just read the following -

Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services.

Does anyone have experience of this, my family will be gutted if the younger one cant go into the pool and kids splash zone.

This is absolutely correct. There are very few cruise ships that have water facilities that allow children in swim diapers. These are the Disney ships, and RCI's Oasis, Quantum, Freedom class ships and a few Voyager class ships. Those ships have splash zones that are specifically designed, constructed, and operated to USPH requirements. USPH requirements, which all cruise ships calling at US ports must meet, are set by the CDC, and are far stricter than most state and local health codes, especially for swimming pools. The CDC did a study of a few thousand public pools in the US and found that over 80% of pools that allow swim diapers would have been shut down if they were required to meet USPH/CDC requirements.

Please do not allow your non-potty-trained child to use the pools/hot tubs/splash zones in a swim diaper. It is against the rules, and the rules aren't set by Carnival but by the US government via the CDC.

Some on here (other threads) have suggested bringing a small blow up pool that you can set up on deck next to your lounger. Supposedly, they are also good for bathing little ones. (We never brought one, and we've not had a bad cruise yet.)

Might want to read on the family board - some people take a small blow up pool for the non-potty trained kids. Also hand if your child is terrified of the shower.

Also, no reason to be "gutted" - my boys are now almost 14 and 20 and have been cruising for well over a decade. They almost never used the pool, even when younger. The pools are really very tiny. And even with the addition of the water park, they may only go for an hour or 2 the whole cruise. You have your shore days for plenty of water/beach time. And if you use the camps, the little ones are so busy playing there, by the time you throw in an afternoon nap, the pool is never missed.

Might want to read on the family board - some people take a small blow up pool for the non-potty trained kids. Also hand if your child is terrified of the shower.

Also, no reason to be "gutted" - my boys are now almost 14 and 20 and have been cruising for well over a decade. They almost never used the pool, even when younger. The pools are really very tiny. And even with the addition of the water park, they may only go for an hour or 2 the whole cruise. You have your shore days for plenty of water/beach time. And if you use the camps, the little ones are so busy playing there, by the time you throw in an afternoon nap, the pool is never missed.

Excellent advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing like having a pool or splash area shut down all day at sea because someone wants to let non-potty trained child poop and pea in a water area. I've seen pools closed all day at sea beacause of ignorance and selfishness. We want your child to have fun but not at the expense of a thousand others.

As Cheng pointed out, not allowed. Harmony of the Seas probably has the best splash zone for kids in swim diapers, but that is super rare on ships, unfortunately. Even other Oasis class ships are lacking. Mentally prepare yourself now so you aren't disappointed when you get onboard.

I do love how Carnival blames the USPHS when the truth is that they didn't bother building a facility for children in swim diapers.

We are going on Horizon in 4 weeks time with 2 children aged 2 & 4. The younger one is not potty trained and wears swim nappies. I have just read the following -

Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services.

Does anyone have experience of this, my family will be gutted if the younger one cant go into the pool and kids splash zone.

PLEASE have a lot of consideration for thousands of other cruisers on your ship...DO NOT allow your non-potty trained child to get into any of the pools! Carnival will empty the pool, disinfect it then refill it. I've seen this happen before and the pool was closed over 24-hours. It's grossly unfair to your fellow cruisers!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Nothing like having a pool or splash area shut down all day at sea because someone wants to let non-potty trained child poop and pea in a water area.

Or some overly drunk adult puking in the pool. Saw it happen on Magic the last two times Ive been on her. No more pool for 24 hours.

I do love how Carnival blames the USPHS when the truth is that they didn't bother building a facility for children in swim diapers.

As a marine engineer stated in another thread - "a facility for children in swim diapers" is very expensive to build. We don't sail with unpottytrained toddlers in our party and don't feel a need for my cruise tickets to be higher for that amenity to be installed on every ship.

If you don't take the toddlers to the pool they don't have any idea they're missing something.

From someone whose kids started cruising when they weren’t potty trained at 12 months of age, believe me, your family won’t be “gutted” if your kids can’t go in the pools. Yes, it’s a bit of a bummer, but with so many things to do on the ship besides going in the pool, you should find plenty to do.

After our son’s first cruise aboard the Carnival Fascination when he was 12 months old, we took him 3 months later on the Allure of the Seas. As someone mentioned before, that class of ship has a fantastic pool and splash zone specifically designed for children that aren’t potty trained. They also have a splash park in Labadee, their private destination. Our son enjoyed both tremendously, but as mentioned before, with so much to do on that ship and ashore, he didn’t use these facilities nearly as much as we thought he would.

I recommend that, if you believe that this is going to be that big of an issue, that you look into Royal Caribbean or Disney ships equipped with the proper equipment. But once again, you may realize that it won’t be as devastating as you may be thinking right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

As Cheng pointed out, not allowed. Harmony of the Seas probably has the best splash zone for kids in swim diapers, but that is super rare on ships, unfortunately. Even other Oasis class ships are lacking. Mentally prepare yourself now so you aren't disappointed when you get onboard.

It's all a case of cost/reward. The lines that don't have splash areas for swim diapers, and Carnival is not alone, they don't see a significant reward to having these water facilities to outweigh the cost of building, maintaining, and operating them. A large part of the operating cost is that there must be a crew member assigned strictly to the swim diaper water facility.

PLEASE have a lot of consideration for thousands of other cruisers on your ship...DO NOT allow your non-potty trained child to get into any of the pools! Carnival will empty the pool, disinfect it then refill it. I've seen this happen before and the pool was closed over 24-hours. It's grossly unfair to your fellow cruisers!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Like adults don't pee in pools, especially swim up bars

Like adults don't pee in pools, especially swim up bars

Urine is quickly sanitized by the pool chlorine. The additional requirements for a swim diaper splash area, like increased turn-over rate (how often the water is pumped through the filters and sanitizing machinery), and a UV light sterilizer are for fecal matter that may be in the diapers.

Urine is quickly sanitized by the pool chlorine. The additional requirements for a swim diaper splash area, like increased turn-over rate (how often the water is pumped through the filters and sanitizing machinery), and a UV light sterilizer are for fecal matter that may be in the diapers.

Thus I am sure that many parents have put the kid in a swimsuit with no diaper if they were half potty trained ( for #2 not #1) - its the one time in life #2 tends to proceed #1! After all, there is no guarantee that an 8 or 80 year old won't pee in the pool - some people just do. Swim/hot tub at your own risk/tolerance level for germs....because if you think adults aren't doing it, you are way wrong!

Ok Ok some of ya'll are just grossing me out..LOLOL How about NOBODY pee in pool! Hahaha

Great theory....now how you gonna enforce it????

Every seen those 300 lb dudes sit in the hot tub for 5 straight hours drinking buckets of beer...and never get out?????

Carnival worker: "I'm sorry sir, but you have been in the hot tub for 2 hours. I cannot serve you any more beer til you get out and go to the bathroom."\

Like that will ever happen when, as it clear on here, that they don't enforce half the rules they have....