Balcony needed for British Isles circumnavigation?

We normally just go Oceanview but next summer is our 40th anniversary. Should we spend the money on a balcony on the NCL, or Princess, cruise we choose in

June/July, or save it and spend the money on excursions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a British Isles cruise one year mid June

we were upgraded to a balcony cabin

we used it to check how cold & wet it was out

If we did not get it for free I would have not paid for one

YMMV

Alternatively yesterday was31°C in UK, why would you not want a balcony? Like any cruise it will depend on itinerary, weather, side of the ship, sunny/shaded how much you use it. Alaska is another cruise location where you never know how much you will use it. 2 trips , one you will use daily, another barely open the door.

However can we get away from the notion its always wet and windy in UK, many places are heading for an almost totally rain free June in 2018, even parts of Scotland have had 3+ weeks with no rain.

Alternatively yesterday was31°C in UK, why would you not want a balcony? Like any cruise it will depend on itinerary, weather, side of the ship, sunny/shaded how much you use it. Alaska is another cruise location where you never know how much you will use it. 2 trips , one you will use daily, another barely open the door.

However can we get away from the notion its always wet and windy in UK, many places are heading for an almost totally rain free June in 2018, even parts of Scotland have had 3+ weeks with no rain.

Even parts of Scotland? I lived in England for 30+ years and I promise you I get far better weather here near Edinburgh than where I lived in England (other than the South East). There is a myth that Scotland is the frozen North

I have been on the British Isles Cruise 2x, both in August.

#1) Had an oceanview. We went on deck to sit. Watched a movie with sweater, spring jacket and blanket.

#2) Booked an oceanview, took an upsell for a balcony. We used the balcony as we were coming into/leaving the ports. Tried using the balcony while moving but too chilly.

You only have 2 sea days. We had private excursions at every port and did not get back until the ship was ready to Sail.

I would save the money and use it for an excursion.

We really enjoyed our balcony on our recent BI cruise. The weather was unusually nice so we enjoyed being out on it in the afternoon after getting back from a port. At one port bagpipers serenaded us and we watched it all! I also liked being able to check the weather and temperatures for myself before getting dressed for the excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked an indoor cabin, but on the Lido deck, which we found ideal. We got all the savings of an indoor cabin but were only steps away from the lounge chairs and the scenery (and the bar and buffet).

As others have noted, it's a port-heavy itinerary with variable weather. You might have the opportunity to enjoy your balcony. Or you might not. You have to look carefully at the difference in price on your sailing at your time of booking to decide if it's worth it.

28 degrees in Scotland yesterday and feels even warmer today!

We were just in Lerwick (June 4th) and had beautiful weather.

Actually had amazing weather in Dublin, Reykjavik, Akureyri, and Cork too.

Sounds as if everyone else is as torn as I am, with a little lean to the balcony. One line has a $US difference of 1000 per person while the other is only about 200. It may come down to which line we choose. I like the balcony in Hawaii and Alaska #1, but did not need it in the Caribbean, New England or Pacific Coatal.

Oh, to only have this type of problem in life.....

• 3 weeks later...

We just had a balcony for our unseasonable warm BI cruise. Though a balcony is always loved by me, a window would be perfectly fine for this region. Even with the warm weather, it was cool while sailing. We loved seeing the gorgeous scenery each day when we woke up and the first 30 minutes after sailaway, but you could do that with a window. Save the money and go all out on excursions; there are so many cool adventures to have there!

We did a British Isles cruise one year mid June

we were upgraded to a balcony cabin

we used it to check how cold & wet it was out

If we did not get it for free I would have not paid for one

YMMV

We really enjoyed our balcony on our recent BI cruise. The weather was unusually nice so we enjoyed being out on it in the afternoon after getting back from a port. At one port bagpipers serenaded us and we watched it all! I also liked being able to check the weather and temperatures for myself before getting dressed for the excursions.

These two apparently-contradictory posts demonstrate the unreliability of the British weather. :D

You pays your money and you takes your chance.

And yes, so far this summer the weather has been glorious. Including Scotland.

Not sure I'd spend a lot extra for a balcony, but elsewhere in the world we've found the price differential quite small for "iffy" itineraries / times-of-year.

JB :)

A balcony is not a must for the itinerary. Sent aside money for tours first and maybe extra for time in England prior to the cruise. If you have extra money then go for the balcony. You likely won't have much time to enjoy sitting on it and there's so many other places to sit outside around the ship.

Had a balcony on royal princess last week. Nice to sit out and nice to hear bagpipes. But if ov was available for less $ that would’ve been fine. We are budget minded. For small amount we’ll get a balcony. It’s nice but not a must have for us. The excursions really add up. Even those not booked via the cruise. Our family easily spent $1k and that was even doing a number of ports diy.

We did fine in an inside cabin last summer on the Caribbean Princess. I've finally talked DH into letting me book insides again. It's better than staying at home. We saved enough money to take another cruise in December.

These two apparently-contradictory posts demonstrate the unreliability of the British weather. :D

You pays your money and you takes your chance.

And yes, so far this summer the weather has been glorious. Including Scotland.

Not sure I'd spend a lot extra for a balcony, but elsewhere in the world we've found the price differential quite small for "iffy" itineraries / times-of-year.

Can I just qualify a part of your post about the weather being glorious in Scotland so far this year. The two weeks from the 9th to 23rd June saw appalling weather in the North West. Most of our hill walking in Skye and Glencoe was severely reduced because of it. Just another example of the variability of our climate I guess:D

Can I just qualify a part of your post about the weather being glorious in Scotland so far this year. The two weeks from the 9th to 23rd June saw appalling weather in the North West. Most of our hill walking in Skye and Glencoe was severely reduced because of it. Just another example of the variability of our climate I guess:D

Yet later in June we fried in Glencoe.:confused:

In fact glorious weather everywhere on our Scottish road-trip.

Except approaching Inverness, which was chilly and shrouded in mist (sea mists?).

Then heading south to the Cairngorms, no more than 20 mins from Inverness, we were back into high temperatures & cloudless skies.

The forecast for today in southern England was that it might set a UK record-high temp of 39c (101F).

But here around Southampton it turned out cloudy, with a little thunder & lightning - and some welcome rain. And temp on the coast at a comfortable 23c.

The job of a weather forecaster is a bit more difficult in the UK than somewhere like Death Valley.:D

Yet later in June we fried in Glencoe.:confused:

In fact glorious weather everywhere on our Scottish road-trip.

Except approaching Inverness, which was chilly and shrouded in mist (sea mists?).

Then heading south to the Cairngorms, no more than 20 mins from Inverness, we were back into high temperatures & cloudless skies.

The forecast for today in southern England was that it might set a UK record-high temp of 39c (101F).

But here around Southampton it turned out cloudy, with a little thunder & lightning - and some welcome rain. And temp on the coast at a comfortable 23c.

The job of a weather forecaster is a bit more difficult in the UK than somewhere like Death Valley.:D

Tell me about the weather after we left. We drove back from Dornie through Glencoe on our last day and stayed over near Locherbie. The weather was as you say glorious then. So nice I could finally dry out my walking clothes! I guess you could say we got the timing of our break slightly wrong.

One time on vacation, my dad heard us kids moaning about the weather, He took us all aside and said " I promised you a vacation, I never promised you great weather. The weather is what it is, just enjoy the scenery and the thoughts that you are not in school" I used this many times raising my boys. Can't wait to see the BI in just a few days.