[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:26 PM.
NYC
7,695 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Haboob
Here's an open secret: Ocean Medallion is not for the pax's benefit. It's for theship's benefit... Turn lights off when there's no one there (including in the cabin bathrooms)
some land based hotels is doing this, requiring you to insert something in a slot next to the door to turn on the electricity. other cruise lines like Norwegian have this too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014,2017)
Harlingen, TX USA
3,913 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by shof515
some land based hotels is doing this, requiring you to insert something in a slot next to the door to turn on the electricity. other cruise lines like Norwegian have this too.
Have been on cruise ships and hotels that require you to put your room key in a slot to activate the lights. Usually take an old gift card or loyalty card from a store. Works well. Slot does not recognize the difference.
283 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Here's an open secret: Ocean Medallion is not for the pax's benefit. It's for the
ship's benefit... Turn lights off when there's no one there (including in the cabin
bathrooms), noticing in real-time long lineups (whether at the Trident Grill or
outside the Princess Theater restrooms), tracking down SOLAS drill no-shows
or B2B'ers who stay aboard when they're zeroing the ship, ...
People figured out really fast to bring an old cruise card with them and stick in the light switch thing, LOL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Diamond Princess to Australia / New Zealand December 10, 2009
Ruby Princess to the Caribbean January 23, 2011
Ruby Princess to Europe May 6, 2012
Coral Princess to Panama Canal April 20, 2013
Golden Princess to Alaska May 10, 2014
Pacific Princess to Tahiti/Hawaii January 7, 2015
Royal Princess to Caribbean November 30, 2015
Diamond Princess to Asia April 11, 2016
Caribbean Princess December 17, 2016
Regal Princess December 17, 2017
Charlotte
315 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
We just left the Regal this morning. We were assigned a Medallion class cabin on a guarantee interior. We picked up our medallion at the port and here are some of my comments on the program:

We had our picture taken at least 3 times and they still couldn't recognize us getting on and off the ship. We had to before to switch to a regular card to get resolved. Wasted a lot of time in line over 3 days trying to get this straight.

We never tried to use the app/website or attend the class so I don't know if that was working.

I hated that they took away the mailbox from the cabin door. Everything was placed under the door at all hours of the day and night.

I didn't like how they tracked you! I would be waiting for the dining room and my picture, name and cabin number would appear on a screen for everyone to see. But I was also able to use this in my defense when the customer service rep said it had only taken a few minutes to resolve card issue .... Check my medallion location for last 30 mins...

We had to take it out of the cabin when we left or they wouldn't clean (they thought you were in the cabin) so you had to carry a card and the medallion.

So like everyone has pointed out, the only thing it did was open the door and if you wanted to keep the lights on you needed another key.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Mojave Desert
295 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by kdooley
We just left the Regal this morning. We were assigned a Medallion class cabin on a guarantee interior. We picked up our medallion at the port and here are some of my comments on the program:

We had our picture taken at least 3 times and they still couldn't recognize us getting on and off the ship. We had to before to switch to a regular card to get resolved. Wasted a lot of time in line over 3 days trying to get this straight.

We never tried to use the app/website or attend the class so I don't know if that was working.

I hated that they took away the mailbox from the cabin door. Everything was placed under the door at all hours of the day and night.

I didn't like how they tracked you! I would be waiting for the dining room and my picture, name and cabin number would appear on a screen for everyone to see. But I was also able to use this in my defense when the customer service rep said it had only taken a few minutes to resolve card issue .... Check my medallion location for last 30 mins...

We had to take it out of the cabin when we left or they wouldn't clean (they thought you were in the cabin) so you had to carry a card and the medallion.

So like everyone has pointed out, the only thing it did was open the door and if you wanted to keep the lights on you needed another key.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Question:
Did the medallion control only the lights or the lights AND the outlets?

...not that I'd ever admit to leaving a smartphone behind, charging.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
10,942 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Question:

,,,or wireless ear buds, or tablet, or WiFi keyboard or fitness tracker, or Apple Watch or toothbrush or portable waterpik or camera battery or...

With only a couple of outlets in a cabin, ours are busy 24/7 charging something.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
Nebraska
1,871 Posts
Joined May 2011
All this talk has me dreading my next Regal cruise. It isn't until Feb 2019 but at the rate they are going it seems I won't even be able to open my cabin door. I don't see any benefit of the medallion for me anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
albuquerque
3,087 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Thrak
It is utterly mind boggling to me that Princess can't seem to get any of this stuff working. I have often disparaged the IT staff that handles their website but I had hoped they had hired "real" IT people for the Medallion project as they have committed such an incredible amount of money and hype to the project. I guess they are instead sticking with their previous IT hiring policy. I think their IT staff must be composed of people who failed as Walmart greeters and couldn't find any other job so Princess picked them up as "IT Professionals". Its sad. Very sad. I was so looking forward to trying out the Medallion and freely admit to having been a "fanboi" of the project. I am so very disappointed by the apparent incompetence displayed by the Princess IT people.
Originally posted by satxdiver
Thank you for the testimonial. I do believe speaking as a former IT professional that OM is still not quite ready for prime time use. I was not aware of the aps for smart phones which is yet another complication to an already disastrous rollout. I have frequently thrown barbs at what appears to be a not so competent IT department at Princess just based on their webpage failures (thankfully it appears to be working until the next big "update"). Princess really needs to pry loose the big bucks and hire competent IT people who have experience with what Princess is trying to do and get it right. Even when and if they get OM working correctly, the bad press that they have endured for the last year will always impact what good they should get from the finished product.
Interesting perspectives, I think I agree but as a retired security system engineer, my experience is that there is a world of difference between "design" and "implementation". After reading all the issues Princess has had with OM (I mean c'mon, people can't even be sent instructions on what to do or get apps to work??), I am starting to think both phases are at fault. Not a good look for Princess.

We will be boarding Royal in a week, won't have OM, and I am fine with it. Many cruisers got some OBC for not having OM, but we aren't in that group.

I would gladly exchange the non-working OM for returning the "every day steak" option to the MDR menu, or <insert your favorite no-longer-offered> thing here. Or maybe better pizza

I wonder if Princess reads these boards, or if they even care what we are saying. It seems to me they are being somewhat frivolous with their reputation and I'm surprised they aren't doing more to manage customer disappointment--stockholder or not

ML
Florida
4,555 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Question:

The medallion has nothing to do with the lights or the outlets. This technology was started on the Royal (no medallion). It is similar to what a lot of hotels do.
There is a little slot near the door where you put your room key or a reasonable facsimile. When the key is removed from the slot i
t probably breaks the circuit and turns off the power in the room after a minute or two. I believe all the cabins on the Regal, Royal and Majestic have this technology. I was in a non-medallion cabin on the Regal in December and then in a medallion cabin two weeks ago. Both cabins were equipped with the slot near the door to control the power.

I cannot remember what it did to the outlets but I have a fuzzy memory of thinking that something got turned off and then thinking oh yeah I had the key out. But don't quote me on that. Like I said it was fuzzy and my brain doesn't work like it used to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Contact me
League City, TX
40,998 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by voljeep
just off the Regal two weeks ago......we did NOT have medallion

talked to a few people at outriggers bar who DID have the OM and they stated it was basically worthless and more than a few times didn't even open the cabin door..

talked to a couple of the bartenders there, and they basically stated the same - very hit or miss..

didn't do any of the shops, so my information is limited to the above
I can understand real-world implementation problems on a ship (although I cannot fathom why there was not real-world testing by Princess before asking passengers to be guinea pigs), but a downloadable app used on land should not have any problems when released to the public. No matter how competent or incompetent the programmers may be, the testing staff is totally unable to do a proper job.

I do not know if the OM software was done by Princess or by outside contractors. If done by outside contractors, I have no idea if the software is working perfectly to imperfect specifications or working imperfectly to perfect specifications.

Whether programmed internally or externally, I suspect that many of the people involved have never been actually on a cruise and thus do not understand what the programming is supposed to accomplish and thus unable to point out flaws in its design or implementation.

In my working life dealing with software contractors, there was one time I complained about the total inexperience of one programmer assigned to a project. When I requested that he be replaced with an experienced person, the response I received to be asked how little I would be willing to pay for his hours to keep him on the project.
League City, TX
40,998 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Hlitner
This stockholder wonders just how much money Princess has already invested is this new technology...that will actually unlock a cabin door. Wait! I thought we already had technology to open cabin doors (a key card). The expense of this project must be immense.
Remember that the Regal implementation is the first for a project that is to be implemented on every ship of all of the CCL Corp. brands, over 100 ships.

On the recent phone conference call with stock analysts, CCL Corp management did not reference any problems with this project. The OM technology is not trying to fix existing problems, but is being developed to "enhance customer experience." After the Regal will be the Caribbean Princess.** At the time of the conference call last month, eight ships were "Ocean Ready." They are having fun watching guest reactions. Happy users are "ramping up slowly."

(** I wonder if this will be before or after the year old CB propulsion problems are resolved.)
League City, TX
40,998 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by shof515
The Royal and Regal (and Majestic?) have this "feature."

Originally posted by Lynniepoo
People figured out really fast to bring an old cruise card with them and stick in the light switch thing, LOL.
We did not have to bring an old cruise card to use on our Royal cruise. The cabin steward already had an old cruise card in the slot when we first embarked.
manchester England
379 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by caribill
The Royal and Regal (and Majestic?) have this "feature."

We did not have to bring an old cruise card to use on our Royal cruise. The cabin steward already had an old cruise card in the slot when we first embarked.
I think any credit card sized card will work doesnt need to be a cruise card.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
6,053 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by caribill
They are having fun watching guest reactions. Happy users are "ramping up slowly."
Wow, that seems to be extremely disrespectful and out of touch.

When we read reports here of OM users having ongoing problems opening their cabin doors,
or wasting lots of time waiting in lines to resolve OM issues...

Are these the reactions "they" enjoy watching?

I would think cringing would be a better word than enjoying.

And, as others have said ... princess might be able to come up with some lame excuses about
why their shipboard pieces don't work.

But, for their associated apps to not work?
Their developers should go back to the junior college they flunked out of...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Brisbane, Australia
5 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I have a 2019 European brochure & Ocean Medallion is not mentioned anywhere. Our cruise at the end of April 2019 from Stockholm no longer appears to be an OM cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Wilmington, NC
111 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
So after thinking about my frustrations with OM over the weekend and also reading all of your comments, I called Princess again this morning (see Post 1). I was on the phone with a very nice lady who told me she had not received a single complaint or concern with OM. She told me she had received calls from passengers asking to be included in the OM Pilot. Of course, she could not help me. I sent a note to Customer Relations to express my concerns.

Now I am concerned the check in process will be much longer and we will experience problems the entire voyage. Time will tell.
USA
934 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by CTGirl
The medallion has nothing to do with the lights or the outlets. This technology was started on the Royal (no medallion). It is similar to what a lot of hotels do.
There is a little slot near the door where you put your room key or a reasonable facsimile. When the key is removed from the slot i
t probably breaks the circuit and turns off the power in the room after a minute or two. I believe all the cabins on the Regal, Royal and Majestic have this technology. I was in a non-medallion cabin on the Regal in December and then in a medallion cabin two weeks ago. Both cabins were equipped with the slot near the door to control the power.

I cannot remember what it did to the outlets but I have a fuzzy memory of thinking that something got turned off and then thinking oh yeah I had the key out. But don't quote me on that. Like I said it was fuzzy and my brain doesn't work like it used to.
Energy saving technology widely in use across Europe, Latin America and other continents, yet just now coming to America.
USA
934 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by RestonCruiser
So on Friday afternoon the FedEx truck arrived and delivered our Ocean Medallions for our Regal Crossing on April 15. Very attractive box included engraved medallions with our names, ship, and date. Included was a nice note thanking us for being Pilots on the upcoming cruise. There were no instructions anywhere to be found.

On one of the inserts were pictures of six different apps that can be downloaded from Google Play or the Apple App Store. The first app in Ocean Ready and is where you expedite the boarding process by entering all your information, including passport info, etc. I downloaded the app and my frustrations began. I could not for the life of me figure out the sign-in. It asked for your Ocean Credentials. As you will remember, there were no instructions included in the box. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the sign in and also searching google to see if I could learn any additional information. I must say all this effort was for naught so I called the Princess number for assistance. The young lady told me she would transfer me to the Medallion help desk. I held the line and finally got a message saying they were either closed or there was no one to help me. Not giving up that easy, I called back to the Princess number and insisted I needed to talk with someone. She was very polite and asked if she could put me on hold and see if she could locate someone to help. After several minutes, she connected me to a very nice young man and the frustration continued to build. He finally admitted the Ocean Ready is having severe problems but he would do his best to help me sign in. He told me the Ocean Ready app is required to use the other 5 apps. After about 30 minutes of him telling me exactly what to do with no positive results, he finally told me he could not help.

With my frustration at a high level and after wasting now about three hours, I told him I would just throw all this medallion stuff in the trash can. He did chuckle a little and said I understand. Never did he say the technology was not ready for deployment and I asked him this question several times. He did say that we should bring the medallions with us on the 15th as maybe something would be working by then.

So my question --- has anyone used the Medallions or any of the six apps available to make your life and cruise easier? I admit I am not very high tech, but this is ridiculous. I would love to hear any thoughts or comments. I am sure I will get flamed for this note but I really am frustrated. Maybe I will Come Home New from the cruise but I am surely leaving home feeling old and frustrated.

So no
I remember how the implementation of the ACA website by the federal government had a few hiccups and was hugely criticized by those who don't want all Americans to have access to health care. A significantly more complex endeavor involving millions of people and hundreds of companies offering insurance plans for profit. Here, a private company with the aid of significant IT giants cannot implement existing (Disney, etc) in one ship for 3,500 "guests." So funny!
Florida
4,555 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by RestonCruiser
So after thinking about my frustrations with OM over the weekend and also reading all of your comments, I called Princess again this morning (see Post 1). I was on the phone with a very nice lady who told me she had not received a single complaint or concern with OM. She told me she had received calls from passengers asking to be included in the OM Pilot. Of course, she could not help me. I sent a note to Customer Relations to express my concerns.

Now I am concerned the check in process will be much longer and we will experience problems the entire voyage. Time will tell.
The check in process was not long at all. There are special counters for the medallion guests. They are to the far right as you enter the large hall. The staff will direct you. I wanted the medallion just to see what is was. I knew before had that there might be some hiccups but I did not let anything bother me. On the whole I liked the experience even if it was just to open the door. I don't know if you have a keyless entry system on your car but the medallion worked on the cabin door very similarly. I really liked walking up to the door and have it unlock. I would not worry too much about experiencing problems. You will have a backup cruise card which should take care of any problems. Just go and enjoy your cruise. You will have lots of time to kick back and relax on the crossing. Have fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Contact me
Port St. Lucie, FL
2,980 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by sammybonny
I think any credit card sized card will work doesnt need to be a cruise card.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
Exactly. We have been using old hotel card keys for years on both the Regal and Royal Princess. We just leave it cocked in the slot so the lights do turn off until we return and insert the card into the slot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
36 Princess Cruises and 2 more booked this year
Royal & Regal Princess Photo Contest Winner
View Our Baltic and new Western Europe Portfolio at: https://gsnider2.myportfolio.com/

Regal Princess 3/92 and 2/94
Crown Princess 2/97 and 3/99
Norwegian Dream 3/00
Grand Princess 3/01
Coral Princess Panama 3/03
Sun Princess 2/04 and 2/05
Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean 6/05
Golden Princess - Greek Isles 5/06
Island Princess - Hawaii 4/07
Caribbean Princess - E. Caribbean 2/08
Tahitian Princess - Alaska 8/08
Island Princess - Panama 2/09