Hurricane Florence

mlmbar

Flying to Miami from Philly next Thursday for Equinox which leaves next Friday. Hurricane Flo is lurking in the Atlantic and is supposed to hit "somewhere " on the east coast "sometime" between Wednesday and Friday. I am VERY concerned bordering on panic. Anyone feeling the same? Anyone changing plans already?

Flying to Miami from Philly next Thursday for Equinox which leaves next Friday. Hurricane Flo is lurking in the Atlantic and is supposed to hit "somewhere " on the east coast "sometime" between Wednesday and Friday. I am VERY concerned bordering on panic. Anyone feeling the same? Anyone changing plans already?

As usual, there are multiple different predictions giving conflicting info about landfall. Miami is not in any of the predictions.

As usual, there are multiple different predictions giving conflicting info about landfall. Miami is not in any of the predictions.

I know. Not concerned about Miami. Concerned about getting to Miami

Too early to do anything....keep yourself posted on weather, airline info and cruise website,

We are flying to Fla next Friday through Baltimore...not for a cruise this time. We live on LI NY..watching closely for possible impacts here.Hope storm turns out to sea,.

Good luck...enjoy your cruise,

I would watch the airlines websites carefully. If they think it is going to impact the flight they will offer free rebookings. Grab that right away, and be prepared to leave earlier if at all possible.

That is pretty much my plan

I live in Florida and track very closely all Systems that could affect us. All, and I do say all, the Hurricane Florence predictions show it heading into the more northern part of the US as landfall, Mainly North Carolina or further up. None going more south that mid-Georgia and that is only one track, all others curve more north. And those predictions have been pretty steady all week.

It shows no tracks into the Bahama’s or the Caribbean where you will cruise and is not a threat to you. Personally, I’d not even watch it or plan on it being an issue for your cruise and certainly not Miami.

Someone will tell you that those predictions are very weak and to worry and worry......the predictions in the last 5 years have gotten excellent. And the hurricane history of over 40 years shows only one hurricane out of hundreds that was that far north and then headed south. They just don’t do it.

Here is a thumbnail photo of the tracks.

Enjoy and relax.

Den

3E9527F5-A23A-4CF5-8A45-166EA5B4EBC4.thumb.png.a9bbb0ff0b459d942ffb94be14ef80be.png

I live in Florida and track very closely all Systems that could affect us. All, and I do say all, the Hurricane Florence predictions show it heading into the more northern part of the US as landfall, Mainly North Carolina or further up.

It shows no tracks into the Bahama’s or the Caribbean where you will cruise and is not a threat to you. Personally, I’d not even watch it or plan on it being an issue for your cruise and certainly not Miami.

Enjoy and relax.

Den

Again, NOT concerned about the cruise. I AM concerned leaving from Philly on Thursday. That is north of NC

We are flying from Pittsburg, Pa next Thursday afternoon. Hopefully we will be able to get out on schedule. I will watch this weekend, and early next week, to see if we need a new plan. I am not worried about the cruise, just worried about being able to fly out. 6 days and counting!!!!

That is pretty much my plan

Having been caught up in the ‘unseasonable’ weather in March flying into Florida via Philadelphia from the U.K. we sympathise....When our flight across the pond was finally cancelled (12 hours before departure) we did manage to change our flights and arrive pre cruise (we did have a two night cushion). We are still very grateful to the Philadelphia residents on CC who indicated they thought the airport would close many hours before our flights were actually cancelled....This gave us time to look at alternatives and liaise more knowledgeably with airline staff.

Can you consider leaving from other airports other than Philadelphia and landing at airports other than Miami? I think our flexibility in doing exactly this was what helped to ensure we did manage to arrive on time.

Sincere best wishes, please keep us updated.

Having been caught up in the ‘unseasonable’ weather in March flying into Florida via Philadelphia from the U.K. we sympathise....When our flight across the pond was finally cancelled (12 hours before departure) we did manage to change our flights and arrive pre cruise (we did have a two night cushion). We are still very grateful to the Philadelphia residents on CC who indicated they thought the airport would close many hours before our flights were actually cancelled....This gave us time to look at alternatives and liaise more knowledgeably with airline staff.

Can you consider leaving from other airports other than Philadelphia and landing at airports other than Miami? I think our flexibility in doing exactly this was what helped to ensure we did manage to arrive on time.

Thanks for you best wishes. Leaving from another airport wil not help. We have to fly south and that is where the storm is hitting. No matter where we would leave from, we have to fly through the area

I am guessing you have a direct, non-stop flight from Philadelphia to Miami. They will re-route the plane to fly a more westerly course, going around the bad weather.

But if you are this worried, why not reschedule so you fly through Atlanta? You would be well west of the storm.

I am guessing you have a direct, non-stop flight from Philadelphia to Miami. They will re-route the plane to fly a more westerly course, going around the bad weather.

But if you are this worried, why not reschedule so you fly through Atlanta? You would be well west of the storm.

We do. I was wondering if they would reroute to the west and fly around the storm rather than cancel. Never thought of Atlanta. That could be a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live right outside Philly in NJ and no airport would be flying in this type of weather. My son was looking to fly to Florida next weekend and he's very doubtful of getting out. He flies all the time and knows exactly how this works as he works for the FAA at Atlantic City's airport in the tech center. He's been caught in these storms out of Florida and it's not going to worry Florida but flying up this east coast is a horror in bad weather. Took him 17 hours to get home one time. Just be vigilant. Our NJ guy who we trust with our storm warnings is saying it is looking much higher that it will impact us all. Nothing definite for a few days but getting out of Philly will be a nightmare if it even hits us with rain and wind. Check all the weather updates, both ours and the European models. They really conflict a lot at times so it makes it harder to understand who is right. I wish you so much luck. So much stress makes it hard to concentrate on the excitement of a cruise but you really need it after all the worry, especially when they are WRONG about it being so severe. Pat C

We live right outside Philly in NJ and no airport would be flying in this type of weather. My son was looking to fly to Florida next weekend and he's very doubtful of getting out. He flies all the time and knows exactly how this works as he works for the FAA at Atlantic City's airport in the tech center. He's been caught in these storms out of Florida and it's not going to worry Florida but flying up this east coast is a horror in bad weather. Took him 17 hours to get home one time. Just be vigilant. Our NJ guy who we trust with our storm warnings is saying it is looking much higher that it will impact us all. Nothing definite for a few days but getting out of Philly will be a nightmare if it even hits us with rain and wind. Check all the weather updates, both ours and the European models. They really conflict a lot at times so it makes it harder to understand who is right. I wish you so much luck. So much stress makes it hard to concentrate on the excitement of a cruise but you really need it after all the worry, especially when they are WRONG about it being so severe. Pat C

I hate to say it, this just made me even more anxious [emoji46]

Under the current hurricane forecast, Florence will still be in the Atlantic when I fly out on Monday. Once I'm in Miami, I think I will be OK.

Of course, there is no forecast for around the 23rd-24th for Key West/Miami at the moment.

Can you fly out on Wednesday? FWIW, it seems Spirit Airlines (not endorsing them, just offering an alternative) flies in all sorts of bad weather. And since it's a small airport (Atlantic City), there are less likely to be problems. There have been times when bad weather really impacts Philly, but A.C. airport (even in bad weather) is less affected for some reason.

Can you fly out on Wednesday? FWIW, it seems Spirit Airlines (not endorsing them, just offering an alternative) flies in all sorts of bad weather. And since it's a small airport (Atlantic City), there are less likely to be problems. There have been times when bad weather really impacts Philly, but A.C. airport (even in bad weather) is less affected for some reason.

I would not rely on Spirit - I have a friend who is a flight attendant with them - her friends call her "The Queen of cancelled flights"

Ok. Ill try to calm some of your fears. I’m a pilot for a major airline. When a weather system like a hurricane is approaching, the airline takes whatever alternative (AND safe) measures it deems necessary to operate the flight. Believe me, the last thing that airlines want to do is cancel a flight unless it’s not safe and absolutely necessary to do so.

As long as conditions at the origin and destination airports are within limits and suitable for a safe operation, most likely your flight will operate. If the weather system is situated along the flight route, an alternate route will be filed around the storm. It’s not unheard of to file a route that will take you hundreds of miles in one direction and around the weather before turning towards your destination. The flight may be longer, but you’ll get there.

Last year, we operated flights into airports that were about to be hit by hurricanes as long as it was safe to do so. We operated the last flight into San Juan, Puerto Rico just hours before hurricane Maria hit. I can’t speak for other airlines, but at mine, we have an extremely qualified and experienced team of weather professionals and flight dispatchers who will come up with the best course of action, and who must all agree, along with the pilots, that it’s safe to operate the flight. Trust me when I tell you that you won’t be placed in harm’s way

What I recommend is that you keep a close eye on this hurricane. As soon as it becomes evident that your city of departure will take a hit, the airline will be proactive to get passengers out before the storm hits. As soon as the airline issues a change fee waiver, DON’T wait and get yourself confirmed on the earliest flight that you possibly can, even if it’s a few days early. Some flights closer to the storm’s arrival may need to get pre-canceled so it’s always smart to take the earliest flight they can accommodate you on so that you can give yourself as much wiggle room as possible.

Another option that you can consider if your airport (and airports south of your location) are closed due to the hurricane, and driving through that area is not a possibility, is to drive NORTH to an airport that’s not affected and take a flight from there around the weather.

I know how stressful all of this can be, but don’t stress more than you need to. Stay informed, be proactive, and be ready to walk out the door in short notice in order to get on a flight. Good luck!

Edited by Tapi

Problem is that we are booked with AA and if we cancel we lose our money. Hopefully AA will waive change fee and we can rebook for Wednesday. We can go any day

Sorry for your concern. Looking forward to your cruise should be fun not stressful. I think you've just provided the solution. Go a day early and see if you can book it now before everyone else gets the idea. Imagine how you'd feel on Thursday if you heard that Philly was closed down and you already had your feet on terra firma in Miami. Plus you get an extra day of holiday! Good luck fo you.