Traditional Dining: What if we miss our dining time?

misha227

We're taking one tour that might get back after our Traditional Dining time. What are our options if that happens? Will we be able to go to the dining room late if we're willing to wait for a table? Or will we be forced to eat at the buffet that night? (It's Christmas night so we're expecting it to be a really nice dinner in the MDR and would prefer not to miss out.) Thank you for any help.

While it is POSSIBLE that you might be accomodated, a fixed dining time does not grant you the ability to switch to Anytime Dining on any given night. It is no different than a scheduled 'anytime diner' asking to be seated in the fixed time dining venue. So you should expect a 'no' answer and not be disappointed if you get that, especially on Christmas night when I would expect most of the ship's passengers to take advantage of their formal dining assignment.

Perhaps that night you can schedule a specialty restaurant for later in the evening. And of course the buffet remains an option. Enjoy.

This is tough. Unfortunately, you cannot just pop in to the other fixed seating. You can do the buffet or go with what most ships have as 'anytime' or 'as you wish' dining. You still get to be in the dining room and get served, but you won't have your usual table mates and/or servers. Once a year for us? We might actually do room service.

Jim

Thanks for the replies! I think we will do a specialty restaurant that night instead of the MDR.

Wise choice. It's Christmas dinner and you want to make it special. That's what I'd do. Make sure you book it well before you sail.

This is tough. Unfortunately, you cannot just pop in to the other fixed seating. You can do the buffet or go with what most ships have as 'anytime' or 'as you wish' dining. You still get to be in the dining room and get served, but you won't have your usual table mates and/or servers. Once a year for us? We might actually do room service.

Jim

No, you can't. Fixed time diners do not have the 'right' to show up unannounced at Anytime Dining and expect to be served. It is a unique dining option that is reserved for those who are assigned to it. Of course anyone can sign up for it BEFORE the cruise, just like either historic fixed timeslot. Perhaps that's what you meant but I wanted to clarify any potential misunderstanding. There is no 'flip-flopping' once one is cruising. :-)

No, you can't. Fixed time diners do not have the 'right' to show up unannounced at Anytime Dining and expect to be served. It is a unique dining option that is reserved for those who are assigned to it. Of course anyone can sign up for it BEFORE the cruise, just like either historic fixed timeslot. Perhaps that's what you meant but I wanted to clarify any potential misunderstanding. There is no 'flip-flopping' once one is cruising. :-)

This is the problem. People who book TD seem to feel that they can show up at "anytime" if their time isn't convenient on any given night. Unfortunately, the maitre d'often allows them in rather than directing them to the buffet. And he puts them into the line as if they belonged there, lengthening the wait time for people who chose ATD.

My personal opinion--people who scheduled TD should not be seated in ATD. They should be directed to the buffet if their time doesn't work for some reason. Reality--as long as Princess allows people who booked TD to be seated in ATD, people will continue to show up and demand a seat.

OP--the above was not intended as any reflection on you or your question. ANd specialty dining that night sounds like a great solution.

Do they really turn people away from anytime dining? If so, why all the discussion on this board about “traditional diners clogging up anytime dining”?

Maybe a recent change from Princess?

I do agree that a reservation at a specialty restaurant would be much better than chancing it with anytime.

We're taking one tour that might get back after our Traditional Dining time. What are our options if that happens? Will we be able to go to the dining room late if we're willing to wait for a table? Or will we be forced to eat at the buffet that night? (It's Christmas night so we're expecting it to be a really nice dinner in the MDR and would prefer not to miss out.) Thank you for any help.
I was on a cruise with my daughter and her friend (mid twenties) and we had early traditional. When we were in port they did not like that and really wanted to see about late dining. So the day before they wanted to be in port longer I asked our waitress if we could do late dining that one night. She said no problem and that actually our table was empty for the late dinner. So if you ask and give your server notice they should accommodate your request if possible.

It is very unlikely you will be turned away from Anytime Dining.

While TD should not be allowed to do AD whenever they wish, they actually are. :rolleyes:

I agree. As one Hotel Manager told me when asked specifically about this, he said,"You will be accommodated."

Often, when the ship is in port late with organized tours due back after early dining times, the dining room (even the Traditional dining room) becomes open seating. I've seen it done several different ways: Traditional dining remaining at set times; the Traditional dining room becoming open seating where you arrive when you want and are seated in the Traditional dining room, not the Anytime dining room; and, only the Anytime dining rooms open. Each Maitre d' does it differently. There's no Princess policy and can change from cruise-to-cruise.

We don't stress about it. If something happens and we are going to miss our dining time we just eat elsewhere. We've never tried to crash ATD or a later seating. It never even occurred to us to try. We're on vacation and don't let much bother us. I especially wouldn't worry about a "special" dinner for a holiday. I don't know what they might offer at Christmas (although one of these days...) but I certainly can't imagine asking for the Thanksgiving Dinner.

I agree. As one Hotel Manager told me when asked specifically about this, he said,"You will be accommodated."

Often, when the ship is in port late with organized tours due back after early dining times, the dining room (even the Traditional dining room) becomes open seating. I've seen it done several different ways: Traditional dining remaining at set times; the Traditional dining room becoming open seating where you arrive when you want and are seated in the Traditional dining room, not the Anytime dining room; and, only the Anytime dining rooms open. Each Maitre d' does it differently. There's no Princess policy and can change from cruise-to-cruise.

Thanks, PAM!

We've found the same to be true.

LuLu

Speak to the Maitre d' ahead of time. I'm sure he will be able to arrange something for you or, at least, advise you on the best alternative options.. And, as others have said, if the ship is departing late there may be open dining replacing the traditional dining.

We don't stress about it. If something happens and we are going to miss our dining time we just eat elsewhere. We've never tried to crash ATD or a later seating. It never even occurred to us to try. We're on vacation and don't let much bother us. I especially wouldn't worry about a "special" dinner for a holiday. I don't know what they might offer at Christmas (although one of these days...) but I certainly can't imagine asking for the Thanksgiving Dinner.

It never occurred to us either to try getting accommodated at a later time. That is until we did skip out TD time and the next day the Maitre'D asked us what happened and why we didn't show up the night before. We explained and were told that they would have easily seated us at empty seats during the next TD seating, no problem.

Thanks for the replies! I think we will do a specialty restaurant that night instead of the MDR.

Since you're going to skip your table at your regularly scheduled time, it's nice if you let that dining room know in advance that you're not going to be using your seats that night. That way they can seat someone at your table since they know you won't be there. That way they won't be waiting for you to show up before starting to serve. It's a courtesy to both the wait staff and the others seated at your table.

Tom

Princess allows one to change with one-day notice.

Good to know. I think the key there is 'notice'. Of course they'll always try to help in special circumstances. I think what many are complaining about is the situation where a guest simply isn't ready on time and willy nilly heads off to ATD like they think it's their right.

while I agree TD shouldn't be allowed to just 'get in line' for the anytime...maybe there could be a 'separate line' for them that only goes in if there is absolutely noone else waiting or with a beeper for scheduled anytime dining...and be forced to eat at either a 8 or 10 top together near the galley ...:evilsmile:

Edited by voljeep

When I have had this situation (ship in port late and missed Traditional dining), I have approached the Anytime dining room and said "I have Traditional dining but was in port late, do you have room for me in Anytime dining?". They have always said yes. Usually in these cases, many of the dining rooms are empty as people often eat in port.

I think speciality dining is a great solution also.

Good to know. I think the key there is 'notice'. Of course they'll always try to help in special circumstances. I think what many are complaining about is the situation where a guest simply isn't ready on time and willy nilly heads off to ATD like they think it's their right.

I don't really think anyone knows if this is a problem or not.

Which poster stands at the anytime dining room and confronts diners, making sure they are not traditional?

Additionally, as Coral mentioned, if one describes the situation to the head waiter at the door,

and they allow admission, should this be second guessed by cruise critic police?

And, finally, if the cruise critic police did prevail with their strict enforcement, people

simply wouldn't sign up for traditional at all, making the anytime sitiation worse.

People here are all about rules.

Head waiters/Maitre d' are about making people happy.

I don't really think anyone knows if this is a problem or not.

Which poster stands at the anytime dining room and confronts diners, making sure they are not traditional?

Additionally, as Coral mentioned, if one describes the situation to the head waiter at the door,

and they allow admission, should this be second guessed by cruise critic police?

And, finally, if the cruise critic police did prevail with their strict enforcement, people

simply wouldn't sign up for traditional at all, making the anytime sitiation worse.

People here are all about rules.

Head waiters/Maitre d' are about making people happy.

Exactly.

No one here knows for sure how many traditional people are lined up to eat at the AT dining room on any night.

All they see is a long line & make assumptions they the TD people switch over for convenience.

As far as rules go, the head waiter is the one who decides who can enter, not the people on Cruise Critic.