First RCI cruise....No burgers, no hots, no fries, & pizza is worse than Tombstone

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

Sounds like you should cancel as soon as possible.

Lunch is rarely served on RCI. People hoard toast from breakfast to keep from starving.

Does everyone eat lunch at Guy's or the Blue Iguana on your Carnival cruises? On my four Carnival cruises, the ships had the dining room and the Lido available for lunch, also.

Edited by John Reid

Dear all,

No great free food anymore. The nickel and diming is out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear all,

I have to say, I really like Guy's burgers and Pizza Pirate pizza when I cruise on Carnival. That said, the food on RC is fine (but the pizza is not good.) I don't cruise either line for the fine cuisine. It's all about the ports and itinerary for me.

I prefer the liquid lunch options at the Schooner Bar. I'm never late for lunch there.

I have never seen a hot dog sitting in liquid on any of my trips, and I have eaten my fair share of perfectly crisp fries on a daily basis. I guess we all can't be spoiled by cruise lines of the likes of Carnival. Maybe next time I'll have to try out one of those rust buckets just so I can have a Guy Fieri burger.

No great free food anymore. The nickel and diming is out of control.

Yeah no one sails on Royal ships anymore, ships are a ghost town. Sail at only 104% capacity now.. They actually offer more free choices food now in WindJammer and Cafe's then use to. Pay options like Johnny Rockets and Chops are not new and have been there since Voyager came out... At least with the Room Service, Service Charge they offer more option's and better tasting food...

Edited by ONECRUISER

It would help us if you could give us a hint at what ship you might be sailing.

Also, the fries are fine in Windjammer (buffet).

But they aren't as good as they used to be.

They used to be my diabolical crack. Now I can easily say "no".

I don't get it. You seem to prefer Carnival but you've booked with RC? Do you want someone to convince you to go on a cruise that you are already convinced will disappoint you? Any cruise is what you make of it. I wouldn't book a cruise if I had doubts about it living up to my expectations or already knew I would be missing something that seems to be important to you. We've gone on different lines, although it's been years since we've been on Carnival but there are people that find a line they prefer and stick with it. Nothing wrong with that and if you prefer Carnival, feel you are going to be longing for Guy's Burgers every day, you're not going to find it on any RC ship and might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I prefer the liquid lunch options at the Schooner Bar. I'm never late for lunch there.

I have never seen a hot dog sitting in liquid on any of my trips, and I have eaten my fair share of perfectly crisp fries on a daily basis. I guess we all can't be spoiled by cruise lines of the likes of Carnival. Maybe next time I'll have to try out one of those rust buckets just so I can have a Guy Fieri burger.

Same here, eat the hot crispy fries everyday I sail, 60-100 nites last 5 yrs alone.. Been sailing 30+ yrs on Royal and actually the Serenade WindJammer dinner is best Royal has ever served in there for choices and taste...

Depending on the ship, there are different options. I am not a buffet person so on a Royal ship, I might eat lunch on the first day at the Solarium Cafe, Cafe Promenade or on the Oasis class, the dog house (forget the name but good sausage, hot dogs and fries) or Wipe Out Cafe.

On sea days, lunch in the dining room is better than Carnival. On our recent spring break cruise, the granddaughters did miss Guys Burgers and 24 hour ice cream, but enjoyed the food in the MDR.

Dear all,

You definitely are not missing a poor attitude...

Depending on the ship, there are different options. I am not a buffet person so on a Royal ship, I might eat lunch on the first day at the Solarium Cafe, Cafe Promenade or on the Oasis class, the dog house (forget the name but good sausage, hot dogs and fries) or Wipe Out Cafe.

It's called "Boardwalk Dog House" on Oasis class. Someone got paid a lot of money coming up with that one.

Last year on Harmony, we managed to eat at Windjammer twice - once for lunch and once for the debarkation breakfast. One of the ports was Labadee so that's kind of a cheat, but otherwise we did MDR and Park Cafe. Will be trying to do the same this year on Allure.

Pizza is mediocre. Goes well with beer. Not much else to say about it really. OP will find nothing revelatory in the pizza.

I like the breakfast at Johnny Rockets. Probably because it's the only time the Boardwalk is quiet on the Oasis class. Wipeout is another nice place for breakfast.

so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......

It's true, Royal's pizza is the worst at sea and they lack any venue for fresh burgers and hot dogs. The burgers and hot dogs in the buffet are sitting in that big metal pan and are really pretty bad. The fries in the Windjammer are just fine.

Every line has it's strengths and weaknesses. You have hit on one of Royal's weaknesses. But, there is more to do on a cruise than eating pizza and dogs and Royal does lots of other things well!

It's true, Royal's pizza is the worst at sea and they lack any venue for fresh burgers and hot dogs. The burgers and hot dogs in the buffet are sitting in that big metal pan and are really pretty bad.

On the Indy at least, the hot dogs weren't all that bad.....but that WJ burger. Whew, that was bad. The sign says "Beef" Burgers and methinks the chef doth protest too much. Worst burger I've had in years and I go to fast-food places way too often. :o

The pizza at Sorrento's was....umm...edible.

Not sure who this guy Sorrento is, but if he sets foot in a pizza place around here I'm calling shenanigans. :)

Every line has it's strengths and weaknesses. You have hit on one of Royal's weaknesses. But, there is more to do on a cruise than eating pizza and dogs and Royal does lots of other things well!

Royal's newest and biggest ships are amazing. Their older ships, with fewer fare-included dining options...well, let's just say that they are easier to compare to Carnival's ships and maybe found lacking.

had pizza every night on Oasis 2 weeks ago. Pizza was greatly improved from the Allure in 2016.

Had to bop over to Cafe Promenade for some oatmeal raisin cookies as well.

The Sicilian at the dog house was excellent both times I went with the sauteed onions.

Bill

Looks like another "hit-n-run" post. Jumps in, trashes Royal, builds up Carnival. Doesn't return for any further posts/comments/answers.:confused::rolleyes:

I think their screen name says it all.