Suite Class All Separate: How Do You Feel About That Concept?

Lastdance

I am trying to figure out how I feel about suite class being entirely separate, as that is the class that I book. My DH and I have been talking about that concept and whether we would like the class distinction or not? What are your opinions? I thought this was going to be part of the new Edge ship and I was right! I can see the pros and cons of this...

Edited by Lastdance

I am trying to figure out how I feel about suite class being entirely separate, as that is the class that I book. My DH and I have been talking about that concept and whether we would like the class distinction or not? What are your opinions?

I just came off of a 3 day cruise on Norwegian Epic, a cruise we sailed specifically to try out the Haven. Having a separate area was wonderful. It's not like we consider non-suite people riffraff or anything (although 3 day cruises in the spring tend to attract booze cruisers). It was just so much more quiet and secluded. When we ventured into the regular common areas it seemed very claustrophobic and crowded. Of course the Epic carries over 4k passengers so it was crowded. Still, it was nice to have that area where only people who booked cabins in the Haven could go. Every once in a while there would be someone who would make a snarky comment in the elevator, but then they didn't pay half of what I paid to stay in that area. Given the huge prices for Edge suites so far, I don't sweat people who pay that much for getting their privacy and perks.

It seems to me you are simple given the option of getting more for the big bucks (to book a suite). If you do not like the separate amenities...there is nothing to stop you from joining those of us in "steerage" or even dining the Lido or MDR. As a frequent cruiser we have seldom booked suites because we spend very little awake time in our cabin...and could not see paying the big bucks for some extra space which we might use less then 3 hours a day. But once you toss in lots of other amenities such as a better dining option, private sun deck (like on NCL or the Queen Mary2), reserved seating areas at some shows, etc. then the suite experience really becomes something worth our consideration.

Hank

I'm loving the look of the Retreat and really cannot wait to experience the Suite Life on an Edge ship :)

I am trying to figure out how I feel about suite class being entirely separate, as that is the class that I book. My DH and I have been talking about that concept and whether we would like the class distinction or not? What are your opinions? I thought this was going to be part of the new Edge ship and I was right! I can see the pros and cons of this...

I just came off of a 3 day cruise on Norwegian Epic, a cruise we sailed specifically to try out the Haven. Having a separate area was wonderful. It's not like we consider non-suite people riffraff or anything (although 3 day cruises in the spring tend to attract booze cruisers). It was just so much more quiet and secluded. When we ventured into the regular common areas it seemed very claustrophobic and crowded. Of course the Epic carries over 4k passengers so it was crowded. Still, it was nice to have that area where only people who booked cabins in the Haven could go. Every once in a while there would be someone who would make a snarky comment in the elevator, but then they didn't pay half of what I paid to stay in that area. Given the huge prices for Edge suites so far, I don't sweat people who pay that much for getting their privacy and perks.

We were on that sailing with you. Third trip on the Epic, in the same Haven cabin each time. We really enjoy that space where life seems to go on at a more relaxing pace -- just wished they had a dedicated elevator for the Haven too! :D

I'm VERY pleased to see Celebrity going this route with their new builds. Between NCL, Celebrity, and Royal - there are many assorted treats/reasons to book suites. I just cancelled bookings on the Carnival Vista for our office cruise next year and "jumped ship" to NCL (Escape) - owing not only to the Haven, but the great incentives for my staff in their cabins: Ultimate Beverage Package and 4 nights of Specialty dining !! Carnival ... offers... nothing... :(

Tom

We book suites for the amenities, butler and space. It remains to be seen if we will like the Retreat as we do like to sit in a lounge such as Cellar Masters and people watch. Anxious to see what the other public venues on Edge will be.

Reading about the suite experience on cc makes me feel uncomfortable and a little inferior, but once onboard, I'm not even aware of the difference. I could never justify the high prices, but good luck to those who can, and do

In a nutshell: People who would book suites love the concept. People who don't book suites have reservations about it. It's a simple case of the haves and the have-nots. If you "have" the money, then it is a step in the right direction. If you "have-not" the money, it's a step in the wrong direction.

To make room for the Retreat, Lumanae, and other suite guest exclusive areas, they had to take that square footage away from the entire ship's population. That means less space for people not in suites to free up the space for people in suites. It's a simple matter of physics - only one object can occupy a space at any given time. In this case, it is more space for suite guests and less for the rest.

On the M- and S-class ships, they had to take space away from other passengers [parts of MDR for Blu and Luminae, Michael's Club first from everyone for the elites then from the elites for the suites]. On Edge, they have designed this in from the beginning. Luminae is in its own area on deck 12; the Retreat is in its own area on decks 15-16. That means there is no 'gated community' for suite passengers as on NCL and MSC, just a few areas reserved for suite passengers that most others will never even notice. Unless the reaction is pure envy, the only real question is whether there is enough space in all the other areas to accommodate the non-suite passengers at the same level (or better) than the older ships. And with the much larger number of suites on Edge, my guess is the answer is 'yes.'

I like how they seem to be handling it on Edge - keep it all in one location, out of my face. Doesn't bother me that they get private areas, jeez, look at the prices they're paying. Really no issue, we could, but have no interest in paying for it. Seems there's enough space for us common folk ;)

Here's why non-suite guests should like the increased number of suites (even with some restricted areas): simply put, there will be more cruisers paying a premium who could afford to go on a luxury line instead. The reason they don't is the big ship amenities. To keep these folks happy the big ship amenities need to be very good: entertainment, food throughout the ship, service, etc. And this is why MSC's Yacht Club has been a failure (meaning no premium pricing): the Yacht Club is great but the rest of the ship is the problem. Celebrity won't make that mistake, and that will benefit all cruisers, the increased numbers in suite and the non-suite guests.

People must love and can afford it, as all suites on the inaugural sailing is sold out... or so I was told.

The proof will be if they continually sell out...

bon voyage

I have my S1 corner aft on hold; my DH says do what you want, but I am not sure what I want...go with the hoopla or not? 500 isn't bad, but only 7 days and three ports??????? I know; I should be thankful so have such a choice....I am just not a Caribbean girl anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My objection to some of the other cruise lines Suite concepts is that your included drinks aren't included once you leave the Suite only area. We sail suites, Aqua or regular verandas depending on our budget and price. For us a suite only area is fine as long as when we are in a Suite our beverage package works in the Martini Bar and Sunset Bar-the best bars IMHO.

Here's why non-suite guests should like the increased number of suites (even with some restricted areas): simply put, there will be more cruisers paying a premium who could afford to go on a luxury line instead. The reason they don't is the big ship amenities. To keep these folks happy the big ship amenities need to be very good: entertainment, food throughout the ship, service, etc. And this is why MSC's Yacht Club has been a failure (meaning no premium pricing): the Yacht Club is great but the rest of the ship is the problem. Celebrity won't make that mistake, and that will benefit all cruisers, the increased numbers in suite and the non-suite guests.

This is absolutely correct. I left Celebrity because booking a suite only got you extra square feet but no amenities. I have done 8 Regent cruises and I thoroughly enjoy their all suite all inclusive ships, especially not having to produce a card to buy a coke and not always being sold to. However, I still like Celebrity ships, and the S-Class ships especially. Also with only 3 now 4 ships Regent has limited itineraries. The new suite amenities have brought me back and the costs are similar, so I now book some Celebrity to get trips they can offer with their larger fleet. I think they have reached a reasonable compromise of protecting their base while being competitive with the small ship lines. I don't feel guilty or privileged by utilizing the Suite benefits, I do feel that I am getting value for the amount I am paying, or I wouldn't be paying it. Book a suite and enjoy it, or don't book a suite and enjoy that experience. I think Celebrity is doing a good job with their marketing and delivery.

I booked a suite for two reasons - Luminae, and hopefully a little easier time finding a pool chair after 10am! On our first cruise on Celebrity last spring, I was a little annoyed with all of the pool games, and found myself in the Solarium area most often; hoping the retreat area is more quiet, although I'm not opposed to some steel drums! We have been in AQ and have an AQ room planned for Europe next summer, but I would like to try a suite at least once before returning to a couple of land vacations.

I don't believe anyone sailing on NCL with The Haven or MSC with The Yacht Club...anyone staying outside of those areas would say their experience was diminished by the suite class passengers' experience. So what could possibly be diminished for either cruiser?

I'm sure people outside Haven or Yacht Club probably never even knew those exclusive areas existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We enjoy Celebrity very much. We have been booking suites lately and love it. We always get the promo with all 4 perks when booking a suite. Our last cruise has really sold me on Suite Life. We have looked at Regent and other smaller ship cruise lines. We even cruised once on Azamara. The ships are just to small and some to formal for us. We had 6 Celebrity cruised booked. Today I just booked a suite on the Edge for March 2019

On the M- and S-class ships, they had to take space away from other passengers [parts of MDR for Blu and Luminae, Michael's Club first from everyone for the elites then from the elites for the suites]. On Edge, they have designed this in from the beginning. Luminae is in its own area on deck 12; the Retreat is in its own area on decks 15-16. That means there is no 'gated community' for suite passengers as on NCL and MSC, just a few areas reserved for suite passengers that most others will never even notice. Unless the reaction is pure envy, the only real question is whether there is enough space in all the other areas to accommodate the non-suite passengers at the same level (or better) than the older ships. And with the much larger number of suites on Edge, my guess is the answer is 'yes.'

The addition of Luminae did not take anything away from non-suite guests. Yes, the size of the MDR was reduced but the suite guests who used to dine there now shifted over to Luminae reducing the overall number of people eating in the MDR, so basically an even trade. Michael's Club was something that was for all and went exclusive.

I don't understand the complaining from some others already about Edge and the suite area. How is it "taking away" anything? There are still two pool areas (main pool and solarium) just like on S Class even though Suites now get their own pool. There is that Rooftop Garden instead of the Lawn, open to everyone. All the entertainment and restaurant areas on lower decks will be open for everyone. The only thing that might be gone is a Sky lounge at the front of the ship unless that is one of the Coming Soon areas (I'm betting those are two levels of spa and fitness though). I like that lounge but honestly every time I go there on S Class ships there are like 5 people in there except right before dinner or when there's an art auction, so a very wasted space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The addition of Luminae did not take anything away from non-suite guests. Yes, the size of the MDR was reduced but the suite guests who used to dine there now shifted over to Luminae reducing the overall number of people eating in the MDR, so basically an even trade. Michael's Club was something that was for all and went exclusive.

Space per passenger is much higher in Luminae than in the MDR, so it really did diminish the availability of the MDR for non-AQ, non-Suite pax. Maybe not a lot, but there was a reduction.