Survey Says: Begging for "10's" in MDR

wesp

On my last Oasis Cruise 8/2018, on the last night our MDR waiter tell us about the survey and he kept on asking and pressuring us on a scale of 1 through 10 which one will we rate them and suggesting us to rate the highest, he insist on what is rating number I will rate. When I say I will give him very good rating he would not accept that for an answer, he want to know the actual number, I also overheard he went to other tables giving the same speech.

I would be SO p!ssed!! And he would have known. English is not my first language so I'm not able to be subtle.

I was on the Jewel of the Seas this past April and I did not have one person ask or tell me about the survey.

Several years ago we were asked, but not once on two different cruise lines in the last three or four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Management across the board in all businesses require a 9 or 10 in surveys. These college kids in management positions haven't got a clue what real life is like.

My manager was required to visit a customer site if any one question on a satisfaction survey was 8 or below.

My personal philosophy? Nobody gets a 10. There is always room for improvement. A 9 is near perfect. A 10 from me means there was a happy ending involved.

Yes, my recent MDR staff informed me how important it was that I give 10's. I gave 9's.

I don't have the time or inclination for surveys or reviews. Everyone wants them nowadays and if I did them all, I would never have time for myself. Employees and employers, please understand this and come up with a better system of evaluation. I won't play the game.

But if someone does exceptional service I MAY give them a mention. But otherwise, no numbers nonsense.

We always give perfect 10’s, never complain and usually give a glowing written out review to the crew member we liked the least. It’s our little way of sticking it to the man!

Have a nice cruise!

I would have thought the glowing review would be for the person you liked the best.

I often name people on the survey who have made our cruise Special and also let their manager or supervisor know too.

I havent been asked on a cruise in a long time but every time I take my Honda in for service, they BEG for a perfect score and tell me how anything less is failing to Honda and if there is any reason why I CANT give them a perfect score to please let them know before filling it out. This seems to be the new norm of most any business that have surveys. It also happens when I have to call technical support at Frontier over internet issues.

Same here when I have my Honda serviced. I just ignore it. It is an imposition on my time and that is rude.

On my last Oasis Cruise 8/2018, on the last night our MDR waiter tell us about the survey and he kept on asking and pressuring us on a scale of 1 through 10 which one will we rate them and suggesting us to rate the highest, he insist on what is rating number I will rate. When I say I will give him very good rating he would not accept that for an answer, he want to know the actual number, I also overheard he went to other tables giving the same speech.
That is hassling people which is not enhancing your cruise and certainly not deserving of a 10.

Here’s a thought.....

If you are approached about giving a 10 rating by staff, go to the Guest Services Desk and register a complaint.

Also, ask to speak to the Hotel and Restaurant managers or officers in charge of those departments.

Voicing reactions to such requests on CC may gan a consensus of opinion about this topic, but registering a complaint to those in charge on a ship may cause corporate to rethink the effect of these surveys on customer service extended to the passengers.

Here’s a thought.....

If you are approached about giving a 10 rating by staff, go to the Guest Services Desk and register a complaint.

Also, ask to speak to the Hotel and Restaurant managers or officers in charge of those departments.

Voicing reactions to such requests on CC may gan a consensus of opinion about this topic, but registering a complaint to those in charge on a ship may cause corporate to rethink the effect of these surveys on customer service extended to the passengers.

Or jeopardize the livelihood of the employee just trying to get ahead,....We give perfect 10’s to everyone.

Here’s a thought.....

Just what i want to do on vacation.

I find the speech seems to accompany service where waters go empty and mains arriving at staggered times.

I just don't fill it out. No 8s to be unhappy about.
This is what I do when I'm pressured to fill out a survey. I abstain on the grounds that if pressure is being applied, the survey responses aren't likely to be reflective of reality anyway. If no one pressures me, I often do fill them out and give perfect scores by default, with deductions only made if the were unresolved problems or someone made me uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We just got off Radiance in Seward last Friday, August 17. Our MDR Head Waiter told us the survey would be coming and that 10 was the highest rating. He did not solicit a rating of 10 from us, but he and the Assistant Waiter absolutely deserved it, so I had no problem awarding it in the survey. If they did not deserve it, I would have ranked it accordingly. In fact, Samba Grill was less than stellar and I explained why in the comments. If I had to give Samba Grill a rating, it would be 5 for the night we were there.

I feel the issue is that companies usually do not allow employees the flexibility to provide the service that will rate a 10. If the service in the MDR is slow and you give them a 10 that tells management that slow service is OK since we ares still getting 10's.

If you ask for an off menu item and get it that rates a higher rating.

You really cannot rate a 7 day cruise with 7 separate meals on one card. Some meals will be a hit other misses. I much prefer to write a short paragraph with the highs and lows rather than a raw number.

You could have dirty plates or glasses, cold or under/over cooked food. A perfectly cooked steak and really salty vegetables. It is not often that a simple number rating will have any real meaning

On our Anthem Cruise a few weeks ago our waiter mentioned the survey on night one. That was new. But didn’t mention it again till the last night. They deserved the 10 so it was easy to fill out the survey. It did ask if anyone asked for a 10, I responded yes, but it didn’t ask me about who talked about getting 10s.

My bank is the worst!...at least once a month they are calling to see how they're doing. Guess what? If I was unhappy, my money and I would go elsewhere! I tell them the service is great, but your survey annoys the hell out of me.

I work for a bank and we read written comments from every survey and they sometimes impact business decisions. Often we contact the customer directly if they leave a troublesome comment that warrants a followup.

Administering surveys takes time and costs money. You might be surprised how much money. If a corporation is asking for your feedback, it's because they want a genuine response that can help make the business better. We don't want to lose customers.

7 cruises and we have had “the speech” almost nightly. It does get old and we always give good scores. If this happens next month- I am going to acknowledge their request and ask them not to bring it up again explaining that I understand the importance and will fill out the survey. . These guys work hard- but I am tired on having it brought up al,ost nightly.

7 cruises and we have had “the speech” almost nightly. It does get old and we always give good scores. If this happens next month- I am going to acknowledge their request and ask them not to bring it up again explaining that I understand the importance and will fill out the survey. . These guys work hard- but I am tired on having it brought up al,ost nightly.

I think your frustration should be relayed to Royal, not the dining staff. It's painfully obvious that Royal pays their staff based on the survey responses. Think from the staff member's point of view...they gotta do what they gotta do to get paid. As you can see from reading this thread, there are many people that are simply "too busy" to take 10 minutes out of their lives of doing nothing as retirees to fill out a survey.

On Vision now. Have had two MDR dinners so far. I’d rate the food a 4 and the service a 7. Want a ten on service? Then make sure water glasses are kept full, dirty plates cleared, food comes out hot, ice creams aren’t soupy, etc. and if the food comes out of the kitchen not right in some way then don’t bring it to me. Although I think most of the service quality issues are due to staffing cutbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been asked occasionally and it doesn't really bother me.

If the service has been really good (faultless) then I have no problems giving them a 10. Otherwise I give them whatever I believe is fair. These days, MDR waiters rarely deserve 10.

What I find is after sailing for a while, you get to remember the true 10's in a waitstaff or cabin attendant, etc.. It makes it hard to honestly rate 10 for someone who deserves 7. I put what I think is accurate, no hand wringing anymore.